Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Capturing and Editing Video > New and alternative a/v containers

Old 1st February 2003, 08:13   #1  |  Link
LdSr

XCD to normal avi

Hi,

I have this XCD image. I extracted the .dat contained inside. Renamed the dat file to .avi. Now, the avi file side is 794mb. My question is how do I convert the file back to it's orginal size(700mb)?

Thanks
LdSr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st February 2003, 08:47   #2  |  Link
avih
Capture, Deinterlace

you need to use dat2file in order to to turn the dat into the original file (although usually it would be ogm/ogg and not avi). only after u did that you can rename the file to have it's original extension. and the file can NOT be turned into 700M since the whole point of xcd is to put a ~800M files on a normal 700M cd.
avih is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st February 2003, 09:36   #3  |  Link
LdSr

Ok, I gotcha.
Now, how do I convert it back to it's orginal size? (not possible?)Do I need to re-encode or what? I'm going through all this trouble because this one movie I don't want in xcd format.

Thanks
Old 1st February 2003, 12:45   #4  |  Link
DeXT

Maybe you didn't fully understand what avih was trying to say you. dat2file will restore the original file size (you can also use AVIMux for that), but since you got this on an XCD (you didn't encode it right?), it's very likely that originally it's much larger than 700 MB, because this is just the purpose of XCD: to fit a ~800 MB file on a regular 700 MB CD.

So making some simple calculations, the original size of that file should be 784 MB. You cannot fit that on a 700 MB CD without using XCD format. Or you'll have to use a 90 min CD, either.
DeXT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st February 2003, 18:40   #5  |  Link
LdSr

Oh cool, I got it now. That was a lot more clear.
Thanks
Old 23rd February 2003, 19:07   #6  |  Link
raistlin2k

Does dat2file also work when the CD has a scratch, means the OGM inside contains broken bits??

Thanks
Raist
Old 26th February 2003, 15:44   #7  |  Link
alexnoe
Banned

As long as there are no E32 errors, there is no reason to worry anyways (assuming that your CD-R is not a piece of crap, any scratch smaller than 2mm in "data direction" will not cause such errors).

Dat2file will read broken data if E32 errors occur, AVI-Mux GUI allows you to choose whether it shall stop when broken data is encountered, or whether you want to use even broken data.

You will never have "broken bits". The least number of broken bytes for a sector is none or three, but one or two is impossible (due to the error correction scheme of CDs).
alexnoe is offline   Reply With Quote