Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Video Encoding > MPEG-4 AVC / H.264

Old 29th October 2007, 21:56   #1  |  Link
Sagekilla
x264aholic

PS3 settings supposed to be possible?

Okay, here's the deal.. I had the idea of taking a clip I captured using fraps, downscaling and cropping it to 1120x480 w/ SAR 141:140 (To see if I could get away with similar 2.35:1 encoding on other files) and encoding it using my normal settings muxed into a mp4 container. And I have to say, I was quite surprised by the results.. I have by no means "sane" settings, considering it takes 40 hours for a sub-1080p (1536x656 encode before) 2 hour movie to encode..

Code:
x264.exe --sar 141:140 --crf 21 --level 4.1 --ref 4 --mixed-refs --no-fast-pskip --bframes 16 --b-pyramid --weightb --b-rdo --bime --direct auto --filter -2:-1 --partitions all --8x8dct --subme 7 --me umh --trellis 0 --aq-strength 0.5 --aq-sensitivity 15 --progress --threads auto --thread-input --cqm "G:\Movies\Matrices\eqm_avchr.cfg" --output "G:\tf\Videon.264" "G:\tf\source.avs"
paus
I changed nothing from my standard settings, except the level set to 4.1, and it worked perfectly fine without spitting it back at me and refusing to play. Any thoughts on this? Anyone else manage to get their PS3 to play insane settings like that?
Sagekilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th October 2007, 23:30   #2  |  Link
Dark Shikari
x264 developer

"Insane" settings usually mean insane amounts of processing on the encoder side; they don't necessarily have any effect on the decoding requirements.
Dark Shikari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th October 2007, 23:34   #3  |  Link
Sagekilla
x264aholic

Reason I'm asking is because I did a google search on encoding for ps3 using x264, and I saw a lot of people using vastly saner encoding settings and was a bit shocked when this worked.
Old 29th October 2007, 23:41   #4  |  Link
Dark Shikari
x264 developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sagekilla View Post
Reason I'm asking is because I did a google search on encoding for ps3 using x264, and I saw a lot of people using vastly saner encoding settings and was a bit shocked when this worked.
As long as its within the level requirements, it should work...
Dark Shikari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th October 2007, 11:13   #5  |  Link
Ranguvar

Yup, DS is right. Going with more than 3 or 4 reference frames at a high bitrate though can lead to choppiness. But that's really the only thing to wory about in your CLI, the rest are encoding slowdowns.

P.S. Try adding in
Code:
--b-pyramid
if you're using 3 or more b-frames. To me, encoding doesn't take any longer. It allows b-frames to reference other b-frames.
Ranguvar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th October 2007, 14:31   #6  |  Link
Sagekilla
x264aholic

--b-pyramid is arleady in the settings, along with just about every other switch. Haven't actually tried going over 4 references with high def material, since it takes so long just to encode it using the regular settings I have.