Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > General > Subtitles

Old 1st May 2018, 16:46   #1401  |  Link
amichaelt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Selur View Post
Thanks for the info!
Made a quick compile for Win64 of the current source code and uploaded it to:
https://ufile.io/nvfhi (should be available for the next 30 days)
There's also a Win64 version in the zip I linked, but thanks for posting another build too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by r0lZ View Post
Great news! Welcome back!

BTW, are you SassBot or paradoxical?
SassBot or amichaelt was the github account name I used.

Quote:
Just another thing I would like. Can you accept larger resolutions, up to 4K (3840x2160)? That format might be illegal for standard subtitles, even for 4K BD, but it is necessary for 3D Full-SBS (3840x1080) and Full-TAB (1920x2160). I desperately need that possibility for my 3D converter, BD3D2MK3D.
Yeah I can look into that. Do you have an example file? Please post a feature request issue to Github so I don't lose it. https://github.com/amichaeltm/BDSup2SubPlusPlus/issues

Quote:
It will be also very nice if you could integrate the 3D conversion, based on external offset sequences (OFS files). I can help you, but first things first.
Ok, yeah, if you can help me with that I would definitely be interested in looking into it. As above, please post a feature request issue.

Quote:
The bugs are more important.
Yep. Having to remember how most of this code works after having not looked at it for nearly 6 years. Slowly but surely working my way through that. Probably need to write some good tests before I start fixing these bugs so I don't break more things. Once I tag a 1.0.3 branch with the last little bits of minor fixes related to making a new build and cosmetic maintenance items, I'll start digging into bugs for a 1.1 release.

Last edited by amichaelt; 1st May 2018 at 16:53.
Old 1st May 2018, 16:55   #1402  |  Link
Selur

Quote:
There's also a Win64 version in the zip I linked, but thanks for posting another build too.
missed that
Old 1st May 2018, 16:58   #1403  |  Link
amichaelt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Selur View Post
missed that
Not a prob.

Also, since libqxt was deprecated and they don't develop it anymore I've just simply integrated the code I used directly into the project. Luckily it was only 2 source files and headers so this should simplify things for anyone doing their own builds.

I may at some point convert over to the built-in Qt commandline classes, but they don't easily map over to libqxt's classes so I've held off on that.
Old 1st May 2018, 17:04   #1404  |  Link
r0lZ
PgcEdit daemon

Quote:
Originally Posted by amichaelt View Post
Yeah I can look into that. Do you have an example file?
Unfortunately, no, simply because AFAIK there is no program able to create BD SUP files in that resolutions. But that files should be exactly identical to the old HD files (1920x1080), only with bigger bitmaps. And perhaps, for the XML+PNG format, a different resolution string in the header.

Quote:
Ok, yeah, if you can help me with that I would definitely be interested in looking into it. As above, please post a feature request issue.
I'll do it.
Please let me know when you will have some free time...
r0lZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st May 2018, 17:07   #1405  |  Link
amichaelt

Quote:
Unfortunately, no, simply because AFAIK there is no program able to create BD SUP files in that resolutions. But that files should be exactly identical to the old HD files (1920x1080), only with bigger bitmaps. And perhaps, for the XML+PNG format, a different resolution string in the header.
I guess I can try it out first doing a XML+PNG with 4k files and then work from there.

Quote:
I'll do it.
Please let me know when you will have some free time...
Will do. Once I finish up and tag this early 1.0.3 release, I'll then create a new thread to track new development work and we can work through it in there.
Old 2nd May 2018, 10:59   #1406  |  Link
jpsdr

Stupid question : What's the diffence between your BDSup2Sub++ and the "standard" BDSup2sub 5.1.2 version ?
Old 2nd May 2018, 11:14   #1407  |  Link
r0lZ
PgcEdit daemon

BDSup2Sub is the original version, written in Java (and therefore requiring the Java Runtime environment). There is a relatively recent evolution called BDSup2Sub Enhanced, that adds partial multiple ODS support. Both versions have a couple of bugs.

BDSup2Sub++ is a version rewritten in C++ (and therefore that doesn't require an additional runtime environment). The latest version supports multiple ODS, but it has some bugs and it creates sometimes black subtitles when it converts from BD SUP to XML/PNG when it thinks (wrongly) that there are multiple ODS.

Currently, no version is perfect (except perhaps when using it for DVD SUB only). I have explained elsewhere what version to use to convert from a specific format to another. With some luck, we will soon have a bug free version, thanks to amichaelt. :-)

Last edited by r0lZ; 2nd May 2018 at 11:16.
Old 2nd May 2018, 15:44   #1408  |  Link
amichaelt

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpsdr View Post
Stupid question : What's the diffence between your BDSup2Sub++ and the "standard" BDSup2sub 5.1.2 version ?
Like r0lz said, BDSup2Sub++ was my porting of BDSup2Sub from Java to C++ and Qt. Functionally they are nearly identical, but there are some bugs in it that I've got on my task list to fix. BDSup2Sub++ is also faster even though I never actually did much in the way of optimizations.
Old 3rd May 2018, 10:11   #1409  |  Link
von Suppé

Quote:
AFAIK there is no program able to create BD SUP files in that resolutions
SubtitleEdit can export 4K sized SUP
von Suppé is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd May 2018, 11:09   #1410  |  Link
r0lZ
PgcEdit daemon

Good to know. Thanks!
Old 3rd May 2018, 19:20   #1411  |  Link
amichaelt

Quote:
Originally Posted by von Suppé View Post
SubtitleEdit can export 4K sized SUP
Interesting. Then I will use its output as an example to follow. Do you happen to have any such examples off hand? If not, when I get to the point of exploring that I can make my own.
Old 3rd May 2018, 21:33   #1412  |  Link
r0lZ
PgcEdit daemon

It seems that SubtitleEdit saves regular HD subtitles, with the text size identical to the Full-HD resolution, but with the screen resolution set to 3840x2160. I think it's the normal way to store subtitles for UHD BDs. The players are supposed to upscale them at display time. BDSup2Sub++ is already able to load them, and it displays correctly the screen resolution, but the subtitles are too small in a big screen, because they are not resized. So, the current display of that subtitles is incorrect, and do not reflect the way they are displayed with a real UHD BD player, but I suppose that it will be relatively easy to adapt the display to show them correctly in the GUI.

I did also a test with UHD subtitles in XML/PNG format and I have compared it with the same stream in HD format. The PNG images are strictly identical in both streams. Only the XML changes. It has "3840x2160" VideoFormat instead of "1080p" in the description, and the X and Y positions of the subtitles are adapted for the larger resolution. BDSup2Sub (both versions) is unable to display that subtitles correctly, as the subtitles are too big and forced in the bottom right corner. So, it seems that the UHD resolution is a mix of HD subtitles with UHD positions. Not really smart. Also, it's not what I need for 3D Full-SBS or Full-TAB, as I think that I need larger subtitles, but I don't know if it's allowed.

I suppose that the best thing to do is to clone the behaviour of SubtitleEdit for real UHD subtitles, and implement something slightly different for 3D Full-SBS and Full-TAB. I will try to do some tests with UHD SUBs. Maybe they are compatible with Full-SBS/TAB...

Last edited by r0lZ; 3rd May 2018 at 21:40.
Old 4th May 2018, 09:27   #1413  |  Link
jpsdr

From what i've read, 4k Blu-Ray spec stays 1080p for subtitles. The player has to upscale them to fit video.
Old 4th May 2018, 12:11   #1414  |  Link
hubblec4
Matroska find' ich toll

Hi amichaelt

Nice to read that you continue your work. I have also some improvement wishes and some issues.
Is it ok to make an issue post on github?
hubblec4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th May 2018, 18:14   #1415  |  Link
von Suppé

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpsdr View Post
From what i've read, 4k Blu-Ray spec stays 1080p for subtitles. The player has to upscale them to fit video.
Yes I read that somewhere and found it strange, TBH. I can imagine that upscaled 1080p SUPs will produce a less quality picture than 4K.
Old 4th May 2018, 18:24   #1416  |  Link
von Suppé

Quote:
Do you happen to have any such examples off hand?
I don't know what you mean exactly. I'd be delighted to upload a home-brewed 4K SUP sample (which I create with SubtitleEdit from .srt or .ass file) for you, if that's your question?
If you want a full sized movie-sup (which is strongly edited, btw), I don't know if I'm allowed here...
Old 4th May 2018, 19:15   #1417  |  Link
amichaelt

Quote:
Yes I read that somewhere and found it strange, TBH. I can imagine that upscaled 1080p SUPs will produce a less quality picture than 4K.
I've watched some 4k Blurays with subtitles. They look perfectly fine from a normal watching distance on a 65" TV.

Quote:
I don't know what you mean exactly. I'd be delighted to upload a home-brewed 4K SUP sample (which I create with SubtitleEdit from .srt or .ass file) for you, if that's your question?
If you want a full sized movie-sup (which is strongly edited, btw), I don't know if I'm allowed here...
Yeah, one you've just created yourself is fine.
Old 5th May 2018, 13:14   #1418  |  Link
von Suppé

I created one for you and zipped it, but the file is too large for upload as attachment here (strange, it's only 900 KB).
Can I send it to you in another way?

Edit: Got it:

http://s000.tinyupload.com/index.php...61607863519893

Last edited by von Suppé; 5th May 2018 at 13:22.
Old 7th May 2018, 17:15   #1419  |  Link
amichaelt

Quote:
I created one for you and zipped it, but the file is too large for upload as attachment here (strange, it's only 900 KB).
Can I send it to you in another way?

Edit: Got it:

http://s000.tinyupload.com/index.php...61607863519893
Awesome! Appreciate it.
Old 7th May 2018, 18:34   #1420  |  Link
amichaelt

Quote:
Originally Posted by hubblec4 View Post
Hi amichaelt

Nice to read that you continue your work. I have also some improvement wishes and some issues.
Is it ok to make an issue post on github?
Missed this post and my answer is YES! Please do!

https://github.com/amichaeltm/BDSup2SubPlusPlus/issues

I'll hopefully finish up the last bit of cleanup I need to do today before digging into bugs.

Last edited by amichaelt; 7th May 2018 at 18:36.