Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Capturing and Editing Video > New and alternative a/v containers

Old 15th November 2016, 15:27   #21201  |  Link
TheShadowRunner

Quote:
Originally Posted by sneaker_ger View Post
How does it play when you remove the attached fonts?
Yes it works correctly (the signs are displayed), but I'd rather keep the original/intended font which works just fine with Haali ^^;
Edit: if you test the sample on your side do you have the issue?

Last edited by TheShadowRunner; 15th November 2016 at 16:10.
TheShadowRunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th November 2016, 16:45   #21202  |  Link
LigH
German doom9/Gleitz SuMo

MPC-HC 1.7.10-207 x64 with internal LAV 0.68.0.28: No issues.
MPC-HC 1.7.10-269 x64 with internal LAV 0.68.1.33: No issues.

Subtitles appear in the attached font face "Neo Sans" like in your screenshot. Overriding the ASS font with "Standard style" as defined in MPC-HC's options (default: Arial) works well too.

Attached are OpenType fonts. Not sure if their support in Windows XP was limited in some surprising details...

I did not test with external filters and system-wide installed LAV Filters. But I would expect that if a splitter supports extracting and temporarily registering an attached font at all, then it should be supported as a whole. Hard to imagine reasons to exempt single characters.

New German Gleitz board
MediaFire: x264 | x265 | VPx | AOM | Xvid

Last edited by LigH; 15th November 2016 at 16:48.
LigH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th November 2016, 17:01   #21203  |  Link
uneedme

Quote:
Originally Posted by uneedme View Post
I dont know how to describe it...... so i say tearing......

did some test on it after the post...

potplayer:

lavfilter decoder:

vmr9 -rare occasions
EVR(CP) -always
d3d9 -always
madshi randerer -never
opengl randerer -never

ffmpeg decoder:

vmr9 -rare occasions and less effect
EVR(CP) -rare occasions and less effect
d3d9 -rare occasions and less effect
madshi randerer -never
opengl randerer -never

After did a "Platform update", i dont know what that is......, the problem is gone. Looks like it is Windows' some hardware usage (graphics stack) glitch......been fixed by patches......

After I mounted the new 2nd-hand display card, I re-installed the win7...So the system might roll back to the glitchy conditions...And this is the first time I heard about a big patch called "Platform update"......

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/down....aspx?id=36805

Last edited by uneedme; 15th November 2016 at 17:10.
uneedme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th November 2016, 17:02   #21204  |  Link
TheShadowRunner

Thanks for your feedback.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LigH View Post
Attached are OpenType fonts. Not sure if their support in Windows XP was limited in some surprising details...
It cannot be.. otherwise the flaw would be there for Haali Splitter as well(?)

Quote:
But I would expect that if a splitter supports extracting and temporarily registering an attached font at all, then it should be supported as a whole. Hard to imagine reasons to exempt single characters.
Yes it's an odd bug indeed..
Old 15th November 2016, 17:11   #21205  |  Link
nevcairiel
Registered Developer

You don't happen to have a font with the same/similar name installed in the system already, do you?
For some reason it won't let you install a new font properly if there is already one with the same basename, for example. It can result in rather odd looking issues. Not sure if the font registering or the font usage in MPC-HC is to blame.

As mentioned above, the font name is "NeoSans". Anything with that name in your Windows font list?

There isn't exactly much one can do wrong when registering fonts. Take the font blob from the mkv and give it to some windows API.

Last edited by nevcairiel; 15th November 2016 at 17:15.
nevcairiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th November 2016, 17:39   #21206  |  Link
TheShadowRunner

Quote:
Originally Posted by nevcairiel View Post
You don't happen to have a font with the same/similar name installed in the system already, do you?
No, no similar font is installed on the system.

Quote:
As mentioned above, the font name is "NeoSans". Anything with that name in your Windows font list?
No.. :X

Quote:
There isn't exactly much one can do wrong when registering fonts. Take the font blob from the mkv and give it to some windows API.
Hmm I'm not sure I follow, NeoSans isn't installed, it's only available as attachment in the MKV. If I remux without it, I fall back to the default (and ugly) font.
But everything is ok when using Haali hence my surprise.
It seems it's LAV Splitter itself that isn't passing everything it should to Directvobsub (latest 1.7.9.0).
Old 15th November 2016, 18:27   #21207  |  Link
Telion

I have an XP, too, so I tried this with LAV, MPC-BE, XySubFilter, madVR, no NeoSans installed and got the same behaviour.
But since MPC-BE can load external fonts (from the "fonts" subfolder of a folder with video) I tried to extract the fonts there and remux the original mkv without them - the problem is gone. Then I tried to play the original mkv while the "fonts" subfolder is still there - there is no problem, either. So I conclude there is something that LAV Splitter is doing wrong since MPC-BE font loading does it right.
Telion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th November 2016, 18:35   #21208  |  Link
nevcairiel
Registered Developer

Loading Fonts from memory and from files is probably the big difference. Maybe Haali writes it out into a temporary file to avoid that issue? Sounds a bit ugly to manage some temp files for that.
I could probably hack something up for testing, a basic version shouldn't be too hard, just need to think about the issues of avoiding leaving behind orphan font files in the temp folder everywhere.

Last edited by nevcairiel; 15th November 2016 at 18:39.
nevcairiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th November 2016, 19:17   #21209  |  Link
Telion

Quote:
Originally Posted by nevcairiel View Post
Loading Fonts from memory and from files is probably the big difference. Maybe Haali writes it out into a temporary file to avoid that issue?
Seems you are right. IIRC Haali does indeed extract fonts to %TEMP% folder. TheShadowRunner, can you please confirm this? And I checked the MPC-BE's internal mkv splitter - it doesn't write temp files and does have this issue.

Last edited by Telion; 15th November 2016 at 19:24.
Telion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th November 2016, 19:18   #21210  |  Link
Sarasa
Lost In The Web

Tested the sample "samplecbbp.mkv" with MPC-HC 1.7.10-269 (86/x64), LAV 0.68.1.35 (Install version), madVR 0.90.24, XySubFilter 3.1.0.746
I don't have the bug and I don't have any "NEO sans" font installed

Xp Limitation ?
MPCHC - madVR - Lav Filters - XySubFilter
Sarasa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th November 2016, 20:59   #21211  |  Link
clsid

Yes, works fine on Win7. The temp file workaround should only be needed on XP. Has anyone tried on Vista?
clsid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th November 2016, 23:27   #21212  |  Link
TheShadowRunner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telion View Post
Seems you are right. IIRC Haali does indeed extract fonts to %TEMP% folder. TheShadowRunner, can you please confirm this? And I checked the MPC-BE's internal mkv splitter - it doesn't write temp files and does have this issue.
Yes you guys have found the culprit!
(with Haali) I have indeed some temp files created in:
C:\Documents and Settings\user\Local Settings\Temp
with name such as mkf4B7.tmp.
I opened one in a hexeditor and bingo I can see it's related to the font (OTTO, Neo Sans is a trademark of AGFA ,etc..). It's also deleted once I exit the player (ZP).
The mystery is solved, thanks for testing.

Last edited by TheShadowRunner; 15th November 2016 at 23:32.
TheShadowRunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th November 2016, 14:54   #21213  |  Link
VictorLS

My prayers were answered: my former (until 1991 in USSR) and current (from march 2014 in Russia) compatriot, true master of programming and developer of MPC-BE Aleksoid1978 has implemented h265 10bit (and VP9 8bit I not tried yet) hardware decoding (using philipl's investigation https://devtalk.nvidia.com/default/topic/965840) in LAV Video Decoder 0.68.1.35git via CUVID in one or two days and it works great in WinXP. I can watch 12 UHD channels in WinXP with 50Hz settings absolutely smooth in DVBViewer. I can receive also one 19e2 channel VR Demo h265 Main@L6@Main 10000x1700 25fps 4:2:0 8bit without hardware acceleration, of course.
I want repeat to nevcairiel from here http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.ph...3#post1784923: sometimes much easier to do something then seems simply say no. But I want say to nevcairiel THANKS for LAV Filters once more.
Link for patch https://yadi.sk/d/5NtWmfjPyoQZe (64kB)
Link for installer of patched LAV Filters https://yadi.sk/d/M5KOnw9YyoQWo (10MB)
PS. I will try patched LAV Filters in Win10x64 at weekend too - may be it will work in it.

Last edited by VictorLS; 17th November 2016 at 14:58.
VictorLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th November 2016, 17:06   #21214  |  Link
clsid

Tried that patch, but HEVC10 decoding is broken and crashes my driver (373.06).

VP9 Profile 0 is working.
VP9 Profile 2 does not fall back to software decoding. sample

Last edited by clsid; 17th November 2016 at 18:50.
Old 17th November 2016, 19:17   #21215  |  Link
davidsama

VictorLS, i want repeat to nevcairiel from here http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.ph...3#post1784923: sometimes much easier to do something then seems simply say no.
I read that line as sometimes much easier to do to what i tell you to do and do not argue with me about it then seems simply say no.
davidsama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th November 2016, 20:07   #21216  |  Link
davidsama

Clsid, Have you tried https://www.nvidia.com/download/driv...s.aspx/111032/
davidsama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th November 2016, 20:52   #21217  |  Link
VictorLS

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidsama View Post
I read that line as sometimes much easier to do to what i tell you to do and do not argue with me about it then seems simply say no.
You are some right - some because nevcairiel's argue about philosophy not enough for me - nothing real argue that possibility of h265 10bit decoding in LAV Video Decoder through CUVID will worse for somebody (even if so there is always choice to set None hardware decoding as happens automatically now). I said many times - choice must be given for people and they choose the best. For example, question about artifacts: nevcairiel give not choice in LAV Video Decorer as I mentioned in some pages in this thread before. I know this isn't difficult to realize, it will not take much space in LAV Video Decoder's interface but his philosophy prohibits do that again.
PS. I don't see difference between cuvid and DXVA2 on my 8bit monitor. People with 9,10bit monitors have choice to choose DXVA2. I think all satisfied...
This is my point of view.

Last edited by VictorLS; 17th November 2016 at 21:35.
Old 17th November 2016, 21:24   #21218  |  Link
VictorLS

Quote:
Originally Posted by clsid View Post
VP9 Profile 0 is working.
Yes, but 4K 60fps plays with some judder instead of smooth 1080p 60fps and 4K 30fps - may be my GTX750 is too weak for 4K 60fps VP9 profile 0.
Tried on The Curvature of Earth 4K 60FPS-UceRgEyfSsc.webm downloaded with youtube-dl https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UceRgEyfSsc --f 315 (313, 303)
PS. Just knew about youtube-dl. It's great console utility - I have no much internet at home.
Quote:
Originally Posted by clsid View Post
VP9 Profile 2 does not fall back to software decoding.
Yes, with both The World in HDR.mkv and The Redwoods.mkv
Has anybody VP9 Profile 1 sample?

Last edited by VictorLS; 17th November 2016 at 21:33.
Old 17th November 2016, 22:32   #21219  |  Link
VictorLS

Quote:
Originally Posted by VictorLS View Post
may be my GTX750 is too weak for 4K 60fps VP9 profile 0
I was wrong in this case - MadVR has big advantage over VMR7 and OverlayMixer in WinXP and plays that 4K 60fps video smooth instead of old renderers (first time see that).
GTX750v2 is great videocard.
PS. Samsung_HDR_Wonderland.ts http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.ph...32#post1785832 (monitor's frequency set to 47,952Hz in nVIDIA Control Panel) in WinXP with patched by Aleksoid1978 LAV Video Decoder 0.68.1.35-git plays without dropped frames with MadVR. In Win7x64 frames are always dropped (both with CUVID and with DXVA2) with MadVR but with EVR plays smooth as in WinXP with MadVR and OverlayMixer.

Last edited by VictorLS; 17th November 2016 at 22:47.
Old 17th November 2016, 22:40   #21220  |  Link
clsid

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidsama View Post
I haven't tried recent drivers, since those are full of bugs.

If the code requires a minimum driver version, then it should check for that. Crashes are unacceptable.

Tags
decoders, directshow, filters, splitter