Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Capturing and Editing Video > Avisynth Usage

Closed Thread

Old 11th May 2011, 10:17   #661  |  Link
egrimisu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boulder View Post
You cannot use 50fps streams for DVD. See the "Shutter Speed Motion Blur / Frame Rate" section in the QTGMC documentation, that's where the magic is.
does the hardware dvd player know how to decode 25fps interlaced into 50fps full temporal resolution? i mean a lot of anime dvd are compressed like that, but i don't have a hardware player to test it, pc software player just blend frames.
Corsair 520W, Thermaltake Soprano DX
GeForge GTX280
Old 11th May 2011, 10:40   #662  |  Link
kypec
User of free A/V tools

I assume every standalone DVD player knows how to deinterlace 50i -> 25p if the source is in MPEG2 alias original DVD-Video format. If you are going to use MPEG4 ASP (Xvid, DivX) then your best bet is to deinterlace with QTGMC and encode as 25p -> please see the QTGMC documentation that Boulder had suggested.
Old 11th May 2011, 11:20   #663  |  Link
egrimisu

Quote:
Originally Posted by kypec View Post
I assume every standalone DVD player knows how to deinterlace 50i -> 25p if the source is in MPEG2 alias original DVD-Video format. If you are going to use MPEG4 ASP (Xvid, DivX) then your best bet is to deinterlace with QTGMC and encode as 25p -> please see the QTGMC documentation that Boulder had suggested.
Hi and thanks for the answer, but my question was if the dvd player can convert 50i to 50p (like qtgmc does). Thanks
GeForge GTX280
Old 11th May 2011, 11:30   #664  |  Link
Boulder
Pig on the wing

If you encode PAL content for viewing on the DVD player, you have to have the framerate at 25fps but you can either encode as interlaced or progressive. If the material is flagged as interlaced, the player will deinterlace on the fly (EDIT: and output at 50fps). That's why I would go for the QTGMC route, unless you want to keep the fluid motion of truly interlaced content.

Last edited by Boulder; 11th May 2011 at 11:36.
Old 11th May 2011, 12:04   #665  |  Link
Didée

A DVD player does not need to deinterlace anything. Decode picture, send picture to display, job done. Okay, the player needs to be able to do split the fields and to re-combine them (to obey RFF flags), but the player does not need [to be able] to perform deinterlacing. That's the job of the display device.

Of course, nowadays HW DVD players often do offer lots of additional functionalities, but that's all optional and varies between different devices. Per DVD standard, the requirements are little. Keep in mind back when the DVD standard was made, all display devices were interlaced CRTs.

My little flickr gallery. (Yes indeed, I do have hobbies other than digital video!)
Old 11th May 2011, 12:11   #666  |  Link
egrimisu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boulder View Post
If you encode PAL content for viewing on the DVD player, you have to have the framerate at 25fps but you can either encode as interlaced or progressive. If the material is flagged as interlaced, the player will deinterlace on the fly (EDIT: and output at 50fps). That's why I would go for the QTGMC route, unless you want to keep the fluid motion of truly interlaced content.
Now thing are pretty clear now, thanks, so any pal device output 50fps(i believe because the displays are at 50hz) ( if the source is 25fps progressive every frame will be doubled.
if my source is 25fps avi usig dvsd codec, video is interlaced but when i compress it to mpeg 2 i shall mark it as interlaced and then the hardware player will do the rest.
GeForge GTX280
Old 14th May 2011, 18:54   #667  |  Link
dcrht

There is no SSE3Tools for 64 bit avisynth so I couldn't import YUY2 videos.
Old 17th May 2011, 07:50   #668  |  Link
smok3
brontosaurusrex

any recommendations of the type of virtual machine to run such scripts in? is virtualbox working well with MT versions? should i find a copy of 64bit windows? ect.. (curently i'am strugling a bit with parallels, host is OSX)

Quote:
Originally Posted by egrimisu View Post
does the hardware dvd player know how to decode 25fps interlaced into 50fps full temporal resolution? i mean a lot of anime dvd are compressed like that, but i don't have a hardware player to test it, pc software player just blend frames.
anime at 50fps? i thought they are more like 2fps...

Last edited by smok3; 17th May 2011 at 08:01.
Old 17th May 2011, 18:48   #669  |  Link
Anakunda

Hello, how do I implement QTGMC with StaxRip, is it enough to copy all support plugins + QTGMC-3.32.avsi into Avisynth\plugins dir, then replace YaDiff() with
QTGMC( Preset="Slow" )
SelectEven()
or is it more complicated?
Do I have to #include QTGMC-3.32.avsi first somehow, or is it autoloaded by AviSynth?
Thanks!

If I omit SelectEven(), then the result framerate is doubled, ie. for 25fp=>50fps? 50fps comes me quite overkill for an human eye, please explain.
Old 17th May 2011, 22:39   #670  |  Link
SubJunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anakunda View Post
50fps comes me quite overkill for an human eye, please explain.
24-25fps is the past, another link
Old 17th May 2011, 22:46   #671  |  Link
Anakunda

Ok let's move to high framerates. Do twice the framerate necessary mean doubled bitrate?
now I struggle with the speed. At Preset="slower" the encoding speed is really slow and I see CPU is not at 100% utilization. WHere do I get multithreaded version of AviSynth, and do I need also all plugins in multithreaded version?
Old 17th May 2011, 22:52   #672  |  Link
SubJunk

Quote:
Ok let's move to high framerates. Do twice the framerate necessary mean doubled bitrate?
now I struggle with the speed. At Preset="slower" the encoding speed is really slow and I see CPU is not at 100% utilization. WHere do I get multithreaded version of AviSynth, and do I need also all plugins in multithreaded version?
Twice the framerate means roughly 1.4x the bitrate for x264, but it depends on the type of video. for drama tv shows the bitrate will be almost the same but for action movies much higher

for avisynth mt i recommend first installing 2.6 then copy this file over the one in System32/SysWOW64
Old 17th May 2011, 23:39   #673  |  Link
Anakunda

Quote:
Originally Posted by SubJunk View Post
for avisynth mt i recommend first installing 2.6 then copy this file over the one in System32/SysWOW64
I fell like having problem setting QTGMC MT usage. Copied your avisynth.dll over old one into SysWOW64
This is my basic script playable:

Code:
LoadPlugin("D:\media\StaxRip\Applications\DGMPGDec\DGDecode.dll")
SetMTMode(5, 2)
MPEG2Source("H:\video\(pending)\Simpsons VIII (12) temp files\Simpsons VIII (12).d2v")
Crop(0,0, -Width % 8,-Height % 8)
ConvertToYV12()
QTGMC( Preset="slow", EdiThreads=2 )
SelectEven()
Crop(6,0,-10,-0)
If I add the SetMTMode(2) command after MPEG2Source(), Staxrip crashes on preview, what's wrong?

/edit
SetMTMode(2) after MPEG2Source() doesnot invoke crash if I remove the first SetMTMode(..), does it matter?
Moreover StaxRip inhibits me from inserting anything before MPEG2Source on encode, how to elude this obstruction?

Last edited by Anakunda; 17th May 2011 at 23:43.
Old 18th May 2011, 00:37   #674  |  Link
SubJunk

I'm not sure, I have never used StaxRip
Old 18th May 2011, 13:34   #675  |  Link
Didée

Seeing the source is 'The Simpsons', it's questionable if using QTGMC is indicated at all. Simpsons might come along as telecined, or field blended (normconversion), or whatever. But it surely isn't "natural interlacing". Probably it's a case for either TFM(+TDecimate), or bob+Srestore. But not QTGMC.

My little flickr gallery. (Yes indeed, I do have hobbies other than digital video!)
Old 19th May 2011, 09:33   #676  |  Link
Anakunda

Hello there, thanks for your support. This is finally the script that doesnot crash on my machine:

Code:
SetMTMode(5,1)
LoadPlugin("D:\media\StaxRip\Applications\DGMPGDec\DGDecode.dll")
MPEG2Source("test.d2v")
Crop(0,0, -Width % 8,-Height % 8)
ConvertToYV12()
Crop(40,0,-40,-0)
SetMTMode(2)
QTGMC(Preset="Slow", EdiThreads=2)
#Distributor()
I have commented the Distributor() and it doesnot crash, is it better to leave it off if not crashing?
The only initial SetMTMode() values that do not crash are (5,1). The problem is that the utilization of both cores is still not 100%, though it seems to be higher than when running in ST mode. The problem is that if I increase the number of threads to SetMTMode(5,2), I get x264 crash.
Script invoked with command line
x264 --preset veryslow --tune film --crf 20 --sar 16:11 --output test.h264 script.avs
Please help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Didée View Post
Seeing the source is 'The Simpsons', it's questionable if using QTGMC is indicated at all. Simpsons might come along as telecined, or field blended (normconversion), or whatever. But it surely isn't "natural interlacing". Probably it's a case for either TFM(+TDecimate), or bob+Srestore. But not QTGMC.
This was a DVB-T stream so probably whatever it was originally, it is normal interlacing now, I see the stripes
Old 19th May 2011, 09:46   #677  |  Link
TheSkiller

Yes, of course there is interlacing visible but that does not imply it is "natual interlacing" as Didée discribed it.
(Q)TGMC is working properly only with footage where every field represents a different step in time. With a Cartoon source this is pretty much never the case. With normconverted footage you don't have a fully natual type of motion anymore either (there is blending).
Sure, you can still use (Q)TGMC but there are more effective ways to deal with this type of footage.
Old 19th May 2011, 10:06   #678  |  Link
Anakunda

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSkiller View Post
Yes, of course there is interlacing visible but that does not imply it is "natual interlacing" as Didée discribed it.
Do you think about nonstandard interlacing causing these crashes? I can use different source then with natural interlacing, the goal is to find a working setup for QTGMC no matter what video source I use.
Thanks for notes for cartoon movies. Is TFM/TDecimate always better for animated sources?
Old 19th May 2011, 10:37   #679  |  Link
TheSkiller

Quote:
Do you think about nonstandard interlacing causing these crashes?
No, it certainly never depends on the "type" of interlacing or content of the picture whether or not a script crashes. Don't get me wrong, your interlacing is not "non-standard", it's just not the right type interlacing for (Q)TGMC.

The core technique that (Q)TGMC uses to deinterlace can produce bad results with sources where the motion is not natual, that's all.

Quote:
the goal is to find a working setup for QTGMC no matter what video source I use.
Forget it. There is no all-round script for every video source you could imagine. It starts with the issue we just pointed out with (Q)TGMC not being very suitable for cartoon stuff.
But of course it also depends a lot on your expectations, so in the end it's you who has to decide what's good.

TFM/TDecimate are THE tools to use for any telecined sources which includes non-CGI cartoons if it has not been normconverted somewhere in-between. In case of The Simpsons and if you're a PAL user you can be sure that it is normconverted if interlacing is visible. In that case only SRestore is an option (besides plain 50fps bob-deinterlacing or keeping it interlaced of course).
Old 23rd May 2011, 01:53   #680  |  Link
atl

Moving from 32bit to 64bit Avisynth version got increase from 48 to 61 FPS on i7-2600.
Using older MVtools
I still can't find MVtoos 2.5.11.2 or above compiled for 64bit, can somebody point me where can download it. Many thanks
Closed Thread