Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Video Encoding > MPEG-4 ASP

Old 27th January 2004, 21:08   #1  |  Link
Selur

3ivx D4 4.5.1 is out and the 3ivx store is open

3ivx D4 4.5.1

Quote:
* New DirectShow Video Encoder supports all the features of the VfW Encoder and more!
* Variable Frame Rate support, timestamps from original media are preserved
* Automatic PAR support. Automatically preserves media's DAR no matter what cropping or scaling is performed.
* DirectShow based means easy integration with any DirectShow application

New Features

Core
* Added support for an obscure MPEG-4 variant produced by some Digital Video Recorders

3ivx Video for Windows (VfW) Codec
* Encoding support for MPEG-4 PAR in AVI files.

3ivx DirectShow Video Decoder
* Decoding support for MPEG-4 PAR in AVI files.

3ivx DirectShow Media Muxer
* Muxing support for MPEG-4 PAR in AVI files.

3ivx DirectShow Media Splitter
* IChapterInfo support allows MP4 chapter lists to be used with many popular players.
* ChapterMarker support allows MP4 chapter lists to be used with other popular players.
* Support for AMR audio (as produced by some mobile phones). Note: 3ivx does not currently include an AMR audio decoder.

Win Installer
* M4A, MP4 and MOV are now registered as audio/video types with Windows Media Player
* M4A, MP4 and MOV can now be used in Windows Media Player's Media Library and Playlists.

Improvements

* Implements frame based seeking. It now works perfectly when the splitter is in "Frame accurate seeking"
* Fast seeking no longer causes frame stutter
* Large MP4/MOV files now open in seconds, rather than minutes.
* Uknown audio formats are not decoded as PCM

* Chunk buffer is now automatically enlarged if required.

3ivx DirectShow Audio Encoder
* Edit Text Fields were converted to Static Text
* VBR/ABR modes are now mutually exclusive
* FAAC was updated to 1.23.5

3ivx DirectShow Audio Decoder
* Audio Output buffer was enlarged, resulting in significantly less skips.

3ivx QuickTime Video Codec
* Now plays bitstreams which use a bpp of 12

Bugs Fixed

* Fixed crash when using frame based seeking
* Compaact AAC malformed MP4 files no longer crash the splitter
* PCM bug: "my video plays to fast and the audio is just noisy static"

* Fixed crash on large frame sizes, or >8mbps streams

3ivx DirectShow Audio Encoder
* Property Dialog's text fields no longer appear to have any effect

3ivx DirectShow Audio Decoder
* Fixed a registery validation bug
Source: http://www.3ivx.com/support/tbd_451.html

the store offers the following for private/home users:
Quote:
3ivx D4 4.5.1 Plus(Windows)
Using the suite you can generate MP4 Files with MPEG-4 Audio and MPEG-4 Video. The Audio codec supports Multi Channel MPEG-4 AAC Audio up to 5.1 channels.The Video Encoder supports different encoder modes such as Dual Pass and Constant Bitrate.

US$ 19.95
Quote:
3ivx D4 4.5.1 Decoder(Windows or Mac)
This includes the 3ivx D4 Video Decoder, the 3ivx D4 Media Splitter and the 3ivx D4 Audio Decoder to play back DivX 3, MPEG-4 Advanced Simple Profile video, as well as MPEG-4 Multi Channel AAC Audio (up to 5.1 channels), including HE AAC.

US$ 6.95
Quote:
3ivx D4 4.5.1 Plus + DiVA(Mac)
MPEG-4 Codec with Dual Pass and Constant Bitrate modes. Video generated with 3ivx D4 4.5 is compatible with the Apple MPEG-4 Decoder built into and shipped with every copy of QuickTime 6. The 3ivx D4 4.5 Plus Package comes with DiVA.

US$ 19.95
Thought some of you might want to know.

Cu Selur
Selur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th January 2004, 21:45   #2  |  Link
bond

great news!!!

now we only need support for adding chapters and subs (compliant to the nero way) via the 3ivx muxer

MPEG-4 ASP FAQ | AVC/H.264 FAQ | AAC FAQ | MP4 FAQ | MP4Menu stores DVD Menus in MP4 (guide)
Ogg Theora | Ogg Vorbis
use WM9 today and get Micro$oft controlling the A/V market tomorrow for free
bond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th January 2004, 10:23   #3  |  Link
tiki4

Quote:
Originally posted by bond
great news!!!

now we only need support for adding chapters and subs (compliant to the nero way) via the 3ivx muxer
Are you sure? The only player than can playback those chapters and subs is Nero's player (and the subs look very ugly btw.).

tiki4

P.S.: I will test the new release later today. Good luck to 3ivx.
tiki4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th January 2004, 11:43   #4  |  Link
bond

Quote:
Originally posted by tiki4
Are you sure? The only player than can playback those chapters and subs is Nero's player (and the subs look very ugly btw.)
well and now the 3ivx filter also support these chapters if i got it right...

hm i never tried the subs (nero simply uses the vobsubs directly from the dvd) but afaik gabests vsfilter already supports decoding these, so it wouldnt be a big problem to decode these in any dshow based player too

MPEG-4 ASP FAQ | AVC/H.264 FAQ | AAC FAQ | MP4 FAQ | MP4Menu stores DVD Menus in MP4 (guide)
Ogg Theora | Ogg Vorbis
Old 28th January 2004, 12:50   #5  |  Link
tiki4

Hm. O.K. for the chapters then I guess, but AFAIK the subs are just 'attached' in some way to the MP4. Nothing like BIFS. This sounds to me a little like 'circumventing' the standard. I still think such things should be done the 'right' way in the first place in order to get wider acceptance for the format.

The reason for my opinion is, that I still hope for hardware support for MP4. An MPEG4 compliant DVD player that plays only AVI sound to me like a DVD player that only plays MPEG2 elementary streams

Well, that's just my opinion...

tiki4
Old 28th January 2004, 12:57   #6  |  Link
bond

Quote:
Hm. O.K. for the chapters then I guess, but AFAIK the subs are just 'attached' in some way to the MP4. Nothing like BIFS. This sounds to me a little like 'circumventing' the standard. I still think such things should be done the 'right' way in the first place in order to get wider acceptance for the format.
hm its not exactly circumventing the standard
the mpeg-4 standard allows the addition of non mpeg-4 complaint streams to the mp4 container by using so called private track ids (that way its now already possible to add vorbis and vobsubs to mp4)

so to say its possible to add non standard complaint streams in a standard compliant way

for the chapters nero uses a feature of mp4 called user space, which allows to attach anything you want (ie pictures (cd covers), tags aso...)

both ways arent really breaking the mp4 files, they will simply be ignored if a player doesnt explicitely supports them (but everyone is also able to support them if wanted, as 3ivx did with the chapters if i see it right)

Ogg Theora | Ogg Vorbis
Old 28th January 2004, 14:06   #7  |  Link
Blight
Software Developer

Unknown audio trackers are not exposed at all by the splitter, so even if someone were to come up with a QDesign Audio Decoder, it simply won't work.

Another nice splitter feature would be to allow disabling of non audio/video/sub tracks (such as still jpeg images used in some trailers).
Old 28th January 2004, 14:11   #8  |  Link
tiki4

O.K., I got it.

Nevertheless, I think, that such constructs in user space of MP4 will not be supported when it comes to hardware devices.

So, sorry for complaining in the first place, but your MP4Menu and the gpac implementation look much more promising to my eyes. I can't really understand why the industry takes so long to come up with some real MP4 solutions (featuring the interactive features of MPEG4). I will be more patient from now on.

tiki4
Old 28th January 2004, 14:22   #9  |  Link
bond

Quote:
So, sorry for complaining in the first place, but your MP4Menu and the gpac implementation look much more promising to my eyes. I can't really understand why the industry takes so long to come up with some real MP4 solutions (featuring the interactive features of MPEG4). I will be more patient from now on.
no need to excuse, i didnt want to attack you because of your opinion or so

in contrary i also think that the bifs way is the better one and offers much more possibilities (ie dvd menus) but the problem is that bifs is really hard to implement in dshow (and most players use dshow), enviviotv is still very limited

so till someone comes up with an automatic dvd -> mp4 tool (with menus) its maybe too much hassle to support bifs just because of subs and chapters

Ogg Theora | Ogg Vorbis
Old 28th January 2004, 17:17   #10  |  Link
tiki4

Well, I think companies that sell MPEG4 related software don't try to implement it yet, because there is no hardware support, and companies selling MPEG4 hardware don't support it, because there is no software available. Well, what is to do?

tiki4

Btw. we shouldn't hijack the 3ivx thread with that rather philosophical discussion. So, sorry to the 3ivx fellows.
Old 28th January 2004, 21:30   #11  |  Link
Stux

Quote:
Originally posted by Blight
Unknown audio trackers are not exposed at all by the splitter, so even if someone were to come up with a QDesign Audio Decoder, it simply won't work.
We do plan to expose QDesign Audio from the splitter in a later version, in much the same way as we exposed AMR audio in this version. It just didn't make it into 4.5.1

The big problem is its impossible to programatically automatically map from a QT audio fourcc to a windows WAVE ACM 2cc

Essentially, we have to manually pick new 2ccs for each 4cc we choose to support

AAC is using 0xFF
AMR is using 0xFE
Old 28th January 2004, 21:38   #12  |  Link
Stux

Quote:
O.K., I got it.

Nevertheless, I think, that such constructs in user space of MP4 will not be supported when it comes to hardware devices.

tiki4
IMHO there is a much greater chance that hardware vendors will support a simple compatible extension to the mp4 format for chapter information rather than a full blown bifs decoder.

BIFS does not automatically solve the chapter problem, although it may give you a way to implement a chapter menu, it doesn't provide a programatic way that a player can interpret the chapter data. Perhaps MPEG-7 would provide that... but it doesn't right now.

PS: I think it would be better if you referred to this information as being in "user data" rather than "user space". The atom they are stored in is 'udta', and the specific atom in the 'udta' atom is a 'chpl'

userdata:chapterlist

each track ('trak') and the actual video ('moov') (ie the file) can have multiple userdata items. Examples of other userdatas are the copyright, and title metadatas, as well as the iTunes M4A 'id32' ID3v2 data chunk

'chpl' is simply a chapter list format which was first implemented by Ahead. We found the format simple enough, and well designed enough, that we decided to go with it, and implemented it in our Splitter, hopefully this will engender interoperability, for functionality which hasn't actually been satisfactorily specified by ISO/MPEG.

We plan to add support for it in our Muxer's later.

Perhaps hardware vendors will also add support for it...

Last edited by Stux; 28th January 2004 at 21:41.
Stux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th January 2004, 09:20   #13  |  Link
tiki4

Quote:
Originally posted by Stux
IMHO there is a much greater chance that hardware vendors will support a simple compatible extension to the mp4 format for chapter information rather than a full blown bifs decoder.

Why did they invent it then in the first place, when it is too complicated to implement in hardware. I thought MPEG was all about industry standards?

By the way, very good work. I think I should invest some bucks into 3ivx. Any chance for b-frames soon?

tiki4
Old 29th January 2004, 10:27   #14  |  Link
bond

Quote:
Why did they invent it then in the first place, when it is too complicated to implement in hardware. I thought MPEG was all about industry standards?
well mpeg-4 was designed not only for dvd backup but also for multiple purposes (ie for streaming)
so to say if you want to give people the chance to create nice and powerfull interactive streaming menus you need to offer much more features than for a (fairly easy) dvd menu for example

of course to support chapters and subs you dont need a bifs decoder that supports the whole range of features mpeg-4 systems offers
ie for subs, look at my mp4sub script and you will see that there are not that much commands needed to be supported, but of course its easier to define some workaround, which isnt breaking the mp4 file

anyways lets hope someone starts writing a nice dvd 2 mp4 (with menu) tool (maybe ahead?) than there will not be a way around bifs

Ogg Theora | Ogg Vorbis

Last edited by bond; 29th January 2004 at 10:30.
Old 30th January 2004, 10:43   #15  |  Link
Selur

btw. did anyone find a way to combine ffdshow and 3ivx so that one get's the anamorphing support of 3ivx and the Postprocessing filters of ffdshow?
(setting ffdshow to support raw video 'combines' ffdshow&3ivx but the anamorphic support doean't work)

Cu Selur
Old 30th January 2004, 11:00   #16  |  Link
bond

i guess its because you didnt tick the overlay mixer option in ffdshow, which is needed for anamorphic

Ogg Theora | Ogg Vorbis
Old 30th January 2004, 12:28   #17  |  Link
Selur

hmm,... as soon as I tick 'overlay' and/or 'use overlay mixer' ffdshow isn't contained in the filter queue.
(and can't be added)

Last edited by Selur; 30th January 2004 at 12:52.
Old 30th January 2004, 13:29   #18  |  Link
bond

it works here!

i used latest ffdshow from sourceforge (not the compiles from athos)

settings:
untick allow unsupported decoders in splitter
tick xvid, divx3-5 and ffvfw support in ffdshow + raw video (all supported) + use overlay mixer

->
ffdshow is used (with overlay mixer2) and anamorphic gets resized correctly automatically

note that athos latest compile offers two possible overlay mixer settings, one resulting in using overlay mixer and one in overlay mixer2 (which is needed for resizing)

Ogg Theora | Ogg Vorbis
Old 30th January 2004, 14:16   #19  |  Link
SeeMoreDigital
Life's clearer in 4K UHD

If you use Nero's ShowTime player, anamorphic encodes resize correctly on playback!

I've put a few examples on my web site.

May I ask hy it is that there are so many 'anamorphic' settings to choose from (NTSC 4:3, NTSC 16:9, PAL 4:3, PAL 16:9, 4:3, 16:9, etc) when XviD's codec has just 3No.

Cheers
Old 30th January 2004, 14:34   #20  |  Link
Selur

damn, can't find a way to use "overlay mixer 2"