Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Video Encoding > MPEG-4 Encoder GUIs
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 20th April 2020, 23:12   #8961  |  Link
jlw_4049

Does m4v containers support HEVC? Can you play mkv or mp4?

Upon googling it I don't see anywhere that it says it supports HEVC.

https://trac.ffmpeg.org/ticket/7685

tag for codec hevc in stream #0, codec not currently supported in container
Could not write header for output file #0 (incorrect codec parameters ?): Invalid argument
Error initializing output stream 0:0 --

encoded 0 frames
Conversion failed!

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

Last edited by jlw_4049; 20th April 2020 at 23:16.
jlw_4049 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st April 2020, 08:08   #8962  |  Link
LigH
German doom9/Gleitz SuMo

I am not sure if "m4v" here is just an MP4 container with a renamed extension ... or really a different container specification. I have seen this extension used for MPEG4-ASP elementary video (without container) as well.

If there is MPEG4 (or newer) video multiplexed with audio, it certainly needs a container. I would assume that Apple TV should use ISO Base Media MP4 v2 as container too, just with some specific atoms.

The MP4 container supports HEVC video streams already (L-SMASH and MP4Box support their multiplexing); whether Apple TV supports them, is a different chapter.

New German Gleitz board
MediaFire: x264 | x265 | VPx | AOM | Xvid
LigH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st April 2020, 13:52   #8963  |  Link
videoh
Useful n00b

"m4v" refers to a video elementary stream. That may not be what the questioner meant but it is the correct usage.
videoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd April 2020, 06:13   #8964  |  Link
bruno321

qaac and fps slowdown

I've started to play around with qaac which I had never used. I chose these options:

and I ran it on an MP2 file, this is the log:

My question is: did it go directly from MP2 to AAC or was there some intermediate encoding? (like MP2 to AC3 to AAC or something)
bruno321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd April 2020, 08:03   #8965  |  Link
LigH
German doom9/Gleitz SuMo

AviSynth source plugins decode audio to uncompressed PCM (and often floating point samples, because many audio filters expect that). Then the result is fed to the encoder.

New German Gleitz board
MediaFire: x264 | x265 | VPx | AOM | Xvid
LigH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd April 2020, 19:54   #8966  |  Link
beto
Temet Nosce

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlw_4049 View Post
Does m4v containers support HEVC? Can you play mkv or mp4?

Upon googling it I don't see anywhere that it says it supports HEVC.

https://trac.ffmpeg.org/ticket/7685

tag for codec hevc in stream #0, codec not currently supported in container
Could not write header for output file #0 (incorrect codec parameters ?): Invalid argument
Error initializing output stream 0:0 --

encoded 0 frames
Conversion failed!

If I mux the hevc video to a mp4 , m4v or mkv container they play ok using VLC or the native Windows 10 movie player in the PC.

In iTunes and other apple devices (iPhone, Apple TV etc.) they do not play at all. May be a limitation of the Apple devices regarding the container format. I do not know...
Old 22nd April 2020, 19:57   #8967  |  Link
beto
Temet Nosce

Quote:
Originally Posted by LigH View Post
I am not sure if "m4v" here is just an MP4 container with a renamed extension ... or really a different container specification. I have seen this extension used for MPEG4-ASP elementary video (without container) as well.

If there is MPEG4 (or newer) video multiplexed with audio, it certainly needs a container. I would assume that Apple TV should use ISO Base Media MP4 v2 as container too, just with some specific atoms.

The MP4 container supports HEVC video streams already (L-SMASH and MP4Box support their multiplexing); whether Apple TV supports them, is a different chapter.
I read Apple's documentation related to HEVC and it states that the iPhone records video in HEVC format and stores it in a MOV container. Maybe iOS only supports playing back HEVC in a MOV container and not MP4. Not sure if this is the case. At least it is what I could infer from the support documentation.
Old 22nd April 2020, 20:34   #8968  |  Link
SeeMoreDigital
Life's clearer in 4K UHD

Quote:
Originally Posted by beto View Post
I read Apple's documentation related to HEVC and it states that the iPhone records video in HEVC format and stores it in a MOV container...
Out of interest... Did Apple's documentation mention anything about supported 'Profiles'?
Old 23rd April 2020, 04:06   #8969  |  Link
beto
Temet Nosce

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeeMoreDigital View Post
Out of interest... Did Apple's documentation mention anything about supported 'Profiles'?
Nothing specific about that unfortunately.
Old 29th April 2020, 13:50   #8970  |  Link
slick1109

Hello. I am trying to figure out how to Downgrade the x264 codec in MeGUI.

Since I save backups during updates, I still have the previous x264 "obsolete" zip file. I would assume I simply extract the x264.exe file I want and overwrite the newer one in the "MeGui\tools\x264" folder, but after doing so, and checking the current version by running Update in MeGUI, it still shows the newer version. So I assume there is a better way to do this, or some Settings file that also needs to be changed as well.

[For anyone wondering WHY I want to downgrade, the reason is because my older Samsung TV will not play any of my recent encodes (via USB) after upgrading to x264 r2969. So I want to revert back to x264 r2935 which is the last version I used that works fine.]

UPDATE: So while I was waiting for a response, I tried changing my update settings from the STABLE server to the DEVELOPER server, which gave me a newer version of the codec (x264 r2991). I encoded a few second long video just to test it, and it seems like the r2991 fixes the problem. So something is clearly wrong with the x264 r2969 codec. However, I usually prefer to stay with the STABLE updates, so I would still like an answer to my question regarding how to downgrade my x264 codec to a previous version.

Thanks.

Last edited by slick1109; 30th April 2020 at 02:43.
slick1109 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th April 2020, 18:55   #8971  |  Link
sneaker_ger

Quote:
Originally Posted by slick1109 View Post
So something is clearly wrong with the x264 r2969 codec.
JFYI: It's a Samsung bug. x264 developers accommodated for such buggy players in the newest versions.

https://code.videolan.org/videolan/x...f341027b57f6f8
https://code.videolan.org/videolan/x...f03a302da0ca1c
sneaker_ger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th April 2020, 03:26   #8972  |  Link
slick1109

Quote:
Originally Posted by sneaker_ger View Post
JFYI: It's a Samsung bug. x264 developers accommodated for such buggy players in the newest versions.

https://code.videolan.org/videolan/x...f341027b57f6f8
https://code.videolan.org/videolan/x...f03a302da0ca1c
Thanks for letting me know. I was able to confirm that the x264 r2969 encodes do play on both my PC and a friends Roku Ultra (via USB), but not on my Samsung TV. So I guess that explains it. Glad to find out it was fixed on newer versions of the codec.

Hopefully someone else on here will still help me figure out how to downgrade my codec since I prefer to stay with the stable releases for now.
Old 30th April 2020, 06:57   #8973  |  Link
kalehrl

Well, MeGUI isn't updated that often even when using develop so I guess you are pretty sure sticking to it.
kalehrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th April 2020, 08:48   #8974  |  Link
jlw_4049

I have always used the development server. Never had an issue.

Old 30th April 2020, 10:14   #8975  |  Link
sneaker_ger

Quote:
Originally Posted by slick1109 View Post
Since I save backups during updates, I still have the previous x264 "obsolete" zip file. I would assume I simply extract the x264.exe file I want and overwrite the newer one in the "MeGui\tools\x264" folder, but after doing so, and checking the current version by running Update in MeGUI, it still shows the newer version. So I assume there is a better way to do this, or some Settings file that also needs to be changed as well.
Does MeGUI even check against the .exe files (e.g. by running "x264 --version")? My guess is it alters AutoUpdate.xml when running updates through the GUI but not when you manually exchanged e.g. the x264.exe. So manually exchanging the x264.exe should make it work with the different x264 although it's not shown in the GUI, i.e. it's only a cosmetic issue? Maybe someone else can confirm.
sneaker_ger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th April 2020, 11:16   #8976  |  Link
slick1109

Quote:
Originally Posted by sneaker_ger View Post
Does MeGUI even check against the .exe files (e.g. by running "x264 --version")? My guess is it alters AutoUpdate.xml when running updates through the GUI but not when you manually exchanged e.g. the x264.exe. So manually exchanging the x264.exe should make it work with the different x264 although it's not shown in the GUI, i.e. it's only a cosmetic issue? Maybe someone else can confirm.
I considered that as well. I would assume just replacing the current x264.exe file with the version I want to use would allow me to encode using that lower codec version, but I didn't know if that would cause any problems. I figured at the very least that a settings file needed to be changes as well, simply for the software to recognize that it is using a different version.

Perhaps not. Maybe it is only "cosmetic" in the sense that I will see it shown incorrectly in the Update screen, but it wont actually cause any issues. Thats why I asked the question because I wanted to know for sure, or if there was a proper way to do it.
Old 30th April 2020, 13:31   #8977  |  Link
kalehrl

I've just replaced older Xvid with the newer one and MeGUI doesn't complain at all.
kalehrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th April 2020, 16:19   #8978  |  Link
jlw_4049

I don't think the main megui developer is around anymore. Which is a shame because the program is awesome. I hope it doesn't get left behind eventually.

Old 1st May 2020, 04:48   #8979  |  Link
hello_hello

I think the only tool you can't "simply" replace with a different version is Avisynth+ and it's plugins, because MeGUI copies them to various sub-folders. To update Avisynth+ (if MeGUI is using it's portable version) you need to close MeGUI and replace the files in the "MeGUI\tools\avs" and "MeGUI\tools\avs\plugins" folders with the newer/desired versions, then when MeGUI starts it'll copy those files to it's various directories, oblivious to the fact they've changed. If you don't replace the files in those folders, MeGUI will replace Avisynth.dll etc in it's main directory and any copies in sub-folders with the older files again each time it starts.
hello_hello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd May 2020, 06:11   #8980  |  Link
magnetite

For some reason, whenever I make changes to a preset in the One Click encoder profile, it doesn't effectively update itself until after I close down and restart the application. Clicking the update button isn't enough to make the change.
magnetite is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
megui