Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Video Encoding > MPEG-4 AVC / H.264

Old 2nd July 2012, 14:42   #1401  |  Link
benus

Waiting for info...

Quote:
Originally Posted by schweinsz View Post
I pause the work in the later of the last year and concentrate on many kinds of algorithms of the next generation video coding standard (HEVC related). I believe I will be back and code to finish the 10-bits support of the DiAVC in this May.
Hi schweinsz.

It is July now and still we have not heard from you about the progress of your works over new DiAVC 10-bit version.
Could you be so kind and let us know if you plan to implement the code or perhaps you dropped the idea.

Regards
benus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th July 2012, 14:29   #1402  |  Link
schweinsz

Quote:
Originally Posted by benus View Post
Hi schweinsz.

It is July now and still we have not heard from you about the progress of your works over new DiAVC 10-bit version.
Could you be so kind and let us know if you plan to implement the code or perhaps you dropped the idea.

Regards
Sorry that I cancel the plan to finish the DiAVC 10-bit version. I am working on a new private video coding codec that will be similar performance with the HEVC. I am working on intra-coding currently.
schweinsz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th July 2012, 16:52   #1403  |  Link
hajj_3

could you give us some more indepth information on your own codec. Did you contact google, mozilla or xiph about selling your codec patents to them?
hajj_3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th July 2012, 20:36   #1404  |  Link
schweinsz

Quote:
Originally Posted by hajj_3 View Post
could you give us some more indepth information on your own codec. Did you contact google, mozilla or xiph about selling your codec patents to them?
Currently I don't contact with anyone in google, mozilla or xiph and I don't know anyone or any contact information in the three company/organization. Anyway, I am very glad to sell my codec and all the patents to them.
I ever read the xiph's daala and google's on-going vp9. Because I have an entirely new architecture/algorithms, I find it is hard to integrate most of my algorithms into their architecture, so I decide to work out a totally new codec with my algorithms.
Old 23rd December 2012, 19:04   #1405  |  Link
dukey

schweinsz,
I don't think the buy section on your website is working correctly. Paypal says it can't load correctly because the window is in a frame. I guess you could get around this by, not using frames on your website, or opening the buy window inside a new tab/window.
dukey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st January 2013, 06:14   #1406  |  Link
an3k

Seriously:

First there is a guy developing a decoder and most people are only blaming him for his "slow decoder", "crappy code" and whatever else. Then they notice they were kinda wrong but never excused themselves.

Then neuron2 completely removed DGAVCIndex and published DGAVCIndexDI instead, forcing users to additionally buy a DiAVC Decoder license. Then suddenly both projects are dead but instead of telling interested customers (since both of them sell software licenses) that the project is dead both websites are still the same, offering a license.

I know that developing nearly everything yourself can be very boring and exhausting over a long time but if you sell your software you have to support it for at least a year after you sold it to a customer. What would you say when you just bought a license and notice some month later by accident that the software you bought a license for is dead?

Why did i "upgrade" from DGAVCIndex to DGAVCIndexDI? Because DGAVCIndex processes ONLY the first file, even if you opened multiple ones and because it's extremely slow. Multi-Threading? 64-Bit?

Last edited by Guest; 21st January 2013 at 14:25. Reason: rule 4, no profanity
an3k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st January 2013, 14:56   #1407  |  Link

Quote:
Originally Posted by an3k View Post
Then neuron2 completely removed DGAVCIndex
I withdrew it because libavcodec became unusable for accurate random access due to regressions and my trouble report was ignored. Additionally the "hall of shame" incident disinclined me to want to work further with people that treated me that way.

Quote:
and published DGAVCIndexDI instead, forcing users to additionally buy a DiAVC Decoder license.
I didn't force anything. I offered an additional option for decoding. At the time it looked like DiAVC was here to stay. To be honest, I don't know the state of DiAVC at this time but as long as DGAVCDecDI still works with the shipped DiAVC binary there is no reason to withdraw it.

Quote:
Then suddenly both projects are dead
DGAVCDecDI is not dead. It still functions properly and ships with a compatible diavc.dx. If you are saying that DiAVC licenses are no longer available, then this is the first I have heard of it and if it is indeed true, then I will withdraw DGAVCDecDI.

Quote:
but instead of telling interested customers (since both of them sell software licenses) that the project is dead both websites are still the same, offering a license.
So you say that DiAVC licenses are in fact still available?! Then what are exactly are you complaining about?

Quote:
Why did i "upgrade" from DGAVCIndex to DGAVCIndexDI? Because DGAVCIndex processes ONLY the first file, even if you opened multiple ones and because it's extremely slow. Multi-Threading? 64-Bit?
If you are not happy with DGAVCDecDI then request a refund and I'll be happy to oblige. My flagship product is DGDecNV. I made DGAVCDecDI to offer some kind of option to people without an nVidia card. At some point DiAVC broke backwards compatibility with DGAVCDecDI and was apparently not willing to work with me to correct that and stop that from happening again. Tracking a moving target is difficult and time consuming, and not economically practical for a product with a very small user base and my very low license fee. So I decided to leave DGAVCDecDI as it is and ship an older known compatible diavc.dx binary. The shipped version still works and some people without other options continue to find it useful.
Guest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st January 2013, 15:30   #1408  |  Link
an3k

Quote:
Originally Posted by neuron2 View Post
I withdrew it because libavcodec became unusable for accurate random access due to regressions and my trouble report was ignored. Additionally the "hall of shame" incident disinclined me to want to work further with people that treated me that way.
Didn't knew about that. What's the "hall of shame" incident? just found a japanese website saying something about GPL.

Quote:
I didn't force anything. I offered an additional option for decoding. At the time it looked like DiAVC was here to stay. To be honest, I don't know the state of DiAVC at this time but as long as DGAVCDecDI still works with the shipped DiAVC binary there is no reason to withdraw it.
Well, since DGAVCIndex got removed it is kind of forcing customers to buy another license Currently licenses for DiAVC can still be bought. Last update is from May 31st, 2011, see DiAVC Changelog
I'm currently waiting for a reply from the dev about machine id change but if nothing happens should i inform you?

Quote:
DGAVCDecDI is not dead. It still functions properly and ships with a compatible diavc.dx. If you are saying that DiAVC licenses are no longer available, then this is the first I have heard of it and if it is indeed true, then I will withdraw DGAVCDecDI.
See neuron2.net Forum. Since you deleted my account there (or wiped the whole forum) i have to ask here: Where did you said that it's alpha?
I count a project as dead if there is (likely) no further development; that doesn't mean that the latest release doesn't work

Quote:
So you say that DiAVC licenses are in fact still available?! Then what are exactly are you complaining about?
That i had to buy a license for a decoder i don't want but have to use because DGAVCIndex got removed completely and DGAVCIndexDI only works with DiAVC.
I really don't know if the last working libavcodec offers more or at least the same decoding features as DiAVC 1.2.2 does but keeping the support for it would have been great.

Quote:
If you are not happy with DGAVCDecDI then request a refund and I'll be happy to oblige. My flagship product is DGDecNV. I made DGAVCDecDI to offer some kind of option to people without an nVidia card. At some point DiAVC broke backwards compatibility with DGAVCDecDI and was apparently not willing to work with me to correct that and stop that from happening again. Tracking a moving target is difficult and time consuming, and not economically practical for a product with a very small user base and my very low license fee. So I decided to leave DGAVCDecDI as it is and ship an older known compatible diavc.dx binary. The shipped version still works and some people without other options continue to find it useful.
On my computer i use DGIndexNV (i was an early adopter - before your license generator was online and i really like that tool but since i got a spare Dell Server with two Xeon QuadCores i want to use that one for decoding too. Sadly it has only PCI-X and PCI-E x8 slots so afaik i cannot add a nVIDIA GPU and that forces me to use DGAVCIndex(DI).
Old 21st January 2013, 15:58   #1409  |  Link

Quote:
I'm currently waiting for a reply from the dev about machine id change but if nothing happens should i inform you?
Yes, please do.

Quote:
Where did you said that it's alpha?
In the Readme that ships with DGAVCDecDI.

Quote:
I count a project as dead if there is (likely) no further development; that doesn't mean that the latest release doesn't work
I never promised to continue developing anything in perpetuity.
Old 21st January 2013, 19:50   #1410  |  Link
an3k

Quote:
In the Readme that ships with DGAVCDecDI.
Oh, yes, right. I must have overread that one word

Quote:
I never promised to continue developing anything in perpetuity.
And that's not what i request but buying a license and noticing by accident some month later that development of the software has stopped is just annoying.

But perhaps there will be an (at least minor) updated version after you merged DGIndex, DGAVCIndex and DGIndexNV into one program - as you indicated in the neuron2.net forum
Old 21st January 2013, 20:26   #1411  |  Link

Be reasonable! You think merging support for CUVID, libavcodec, and DiAVC would be a minor update?

Anyway, now I think you are being disingenuous, as you stated you initially made a donation to get DGDecNV long ago, so your claim of making a donation for DGAVCDecDI only to find after a month later that I don't intend to develop it further is a fabrication. And for what purpose?

As I have told you several times, if you are unhappy then send me your info and I will issue you a refund. Then I will not have to deal further with your silliness.

Last edited by Guest; 21st January 2013 at 20:35.
Old 21st January 2013, 21:07   #1412  |  Link
an3k

Quote:
Be reasonable! You think merging support for CUVID, libavcodec, and DiAVC would be a minor update?
Quote:
But perhaps there will be an (at least minor) updated version of the DGAVCIndex part after you merged DGIndex, DGAVCIndex and DGIndexNV into one program - as you indicated in the neuron2.net forum
This is what i meant, thought it was clear enough before!

Quote:
Anyway, now I think you are being disingenuous, as you stated you initially made a donation to get DGDecNV long ago, so your claim of making a donation for DGAVCDecDI only to find after a month later that I don't intend to develop it further is a fabrication. And for what purpose?
I made ONE donation for DGIndexNV long time ago. Period! I never said i made another donation for DGAVCIndexDI. I said i bought a license for DiAVC! You know that DGAVCIndexDI without DiAVC is completely useless?! Please read more carefully!

Quote:
As I have told you several times, if you are unhappy then send me your info and I will issue you a refund. Then I will not have to deal further with your silliness.
Wow! Are you serious? Insulting a customer who tried to help you where possible and violating forum rules (Rule #4 to be exact)?! Anyway, this is the wrong place for discussing the problems between us and since you're already a moderator i sadly have to contact doom9.
Old 21st January 2013, 21:17   #1413  |  Link

I cannot be held responsible for whether or not DiAVC continues development or not. This is what I mean by your silliness. Why don't you go rag on them? You've had the benefit of my DGDecNV product now for years for a measly $15 and yet here you are ragging on me. I explained the situation to you as clearly and openly as I could but you won't let it go. And why the profanity that I had to remove? You set the tone buddy.
Old 21st January 2013, 22:12   #1414  |  Link
an3k

Quote:
I cannot be held responsible for whether or not DiAVC continues development or not. This is what I mean by your silliness.
Example:
Quote:
nVIDIA now wants a license fee for software that implements OpenCL/CUDA directly. You buy a license. Two month later you hear by accident that nVIDIA is going a complete new way and that OpenCL/CUDA is no longer maintained/supported. But they still ask for a license fee and didn't posted a notice about the discontinuation on the website.
It is kind of the same just with the exception that you develop DGIndexNV yourself and didn't had to buy a license for it.

I absolutely know that you cannot be held for DiAVC and i know that there is no guarantee that the kind of software like DiAVC, DGIndex, AviSynth, etc. is maintained till the end of the world but you also stopped developing DGAVCIndexDI. First completely removing DGAVCIndex and then stopping development of the replacement. All these three things are connected.

Quote:
Why don't you go rag on them?
Isn't this the main thread of DiAVC? If schweinsz is dead, on vacation or just to busy with developing something else that he doesn't read this and replies - what else should i do? If he doesn't send me the updated license code because his software thinks the machine code changed for no reason (many users have that issue) i'll get him to refund. Perhaps his decoder is nice, perhaps not. I don't know.

Quote:
You've had the benefit of my DGDecNV product now for years for a measly $15 and yet here you are ragging on me.
True and the price is ok for that. I paid 50 € for AnyDVDHD and i get lifetime updates/upgrades. Higher price but they also release much more updates. Same for many other software out there! But it doesn't mean that you can instantly stop development/support for a software just because the user only paid once. To be fair you at least should inform users on your website so they can decide themselves if they want to buy a license for a more or less soon dying software. It's about fairness!

Quote:
I explained the situation to you as clearly and openly as I could but you won't let it go.
Then you absolutely misunderstood me. I was just discussing with you about that stuff. I never was trying to get my money back from you. I never tried you to begin development of DGAVCIndex again - it would be nice, yes but i know that its the developers decision and that is very hard to change

Quote:
And why the profanity that I had to remove? You set the tone buddy.
That was just to express how i see the whole situation. As i wrote there were some users kind of "bullying" schweinsz for his initial postings. Then the force for users to buy a DiAVC license or keep the not well working old DGAVCIndex version. Then the issue with stopped development but no information on the website - neither on yours nor on DiAVCs. In short: "WHAT THE FREAK" was not directed to anyone here! It was not my intention to insult someone and I'm sorry if i did.

And thank you for the refund but you really don't have to do that. I'm using DGIndexNV and i like to keep using it (i could even without rejecting ...) but I'm fair and thus I'm rejecting your refund! Perhaps we just got one's wires crossed and i hope that this post explains it a bit better and that we aren't each others deadly enemy
Old 22nd January 2013, 09:41   #1415  |  Link
LigH
German doom9/Gleitz SuMo

It is indeed a pity that schweinsz decided to be ... "less active" with DiAVC. For any reason he may have. I believe one of them was professionally developing H.265 software. Yes, five.

But if you still prefer (or are stuck to) software-only decoding, there are also still alternative ways. FFMS2 is still being developed, trying to get rid of "insanity" in the multi-threaded decoding. And DirectShow is the last hope anchor, which can be successful if used wisely, carefully tweaking filters and merits to ensure that the graph does nothing else but decoding with optimal quality, especially without unexpected additional filtering.

New German Gleitz board
MediaFire: x264 | x265 | VPx | AOM | Xvid
LigH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd January 2013, 12:32   #1416  |  Link
LoRd_MuldeR
Software Developer

an3k, the fact that one tool (DGAVCIndex) happened to be released as a Freeware neither gives you any guarantees for future updates nor does it give you any guarantees that such an update would still be available as Freeware. And of course having been a user of one tool (DGAVCIndex) doesn't give you the "right" to use other Payware tools, such as DGDecNV or DGAVCIndexDI, for free. Nobody forced you to buy any of those! You could have continued using DGAVCIndex as-is or you could have used an alternative. Instead you decided to buy DGAVCIndexDI+DiAVC. So what exactly are you complaining about? For what I understand, the existing DGAVCIndexDI still does work with the "compatible" version of DiAVC. Right? So, unless there is a particular problem, what is your concern? You bought a software and it works. I don't think anybody gave you a guarantee for "free lifelong updates" when you bought your DGAVCIndexDI+DiAVC licenses. And that's not unusual at all! For example: If you buy a Microsoft Office today, you get the "current" version and that's it. You might get some "security" updates/fixes now and then for free, but for next "major update" you have to pay again! Or stick with your "old" version...

Last edited by LoRd_MuldeR; 22nd January 2013 at 12:38.
LoRd_MuldeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd January 2013, 14:07   #1417  |  Link

Actually, I do offer free lifetime updates, if I create any! I don't guarantee to make any update or future versions of my donation-ware, but if I do they will always be free to existing licensees.

But your point stands, one cannot expect that development must necessarily continue just because a working version is still sold.
Old 25th January 2013, 04:12   #1418  |  Link
schweinsz

Quote:
I never change the interface of the DiAVC for a very long time. Actually I don't know why it becomes not compatible with the DGAVCDecDI. Now I concentrate on a new video coding project that is with better coding efficiency than the HEVC. but I still maintain the DiAVC project.
Old 25th January 2013, 04:15   #1419  |  Link

Well, schweinsz, with all due respect, nothing changed in DGAVCDecDI and then one day things stopped working with one of your new releases. We've discussed this but you were not interested in resolving it, just kept saying nothing changed. This is why I had to stop my development.

Don't you recall writing this to me:

"I notice the same problem; perhaps it is because that I change some compiler options of the DiAVC."

What ticked me off is that you just started releasing versions that you knew broke backward compatibility without discussing it with me or informing me. That told me you didn't care about DGAVCDecDI. So why should I care about DiAVC? I thought we had a good partnership going and that we could do great things together. Then you started not caring, and I suppose it is because you moved on to your new encoder.

Quote:
but I still maintain the DiAVC project
Then you can release a latest version that is compatible with DGAVCDecDI just as version 1.2.2 was? If not, then what does "maintain" actually mean to you?

Last edited by Guest; 25th January 2013 at 04:58.
Old 25th January 2013, 07:59   #1420  |  Link
schweinsz

Quote:
Well, schweinsz, with all due respect, nothing changed in DGAVCDecDI and then one day things stopped working with one of your new releases. We've discussed this but you were not interested in resolving it, just kept saying nothing changed. This is why I had to stop my development.

Don't you recall writing this to me:

"I notice the same problem; perhaps it is because that I change some compiler options of the DiAVC."

What ticked me off is that you just started releasing versions that you knew broke backward compatibility without discussing it with me or informing me. That told me you didn't care about DGAVCDecDI. So why should I care about DiAVC? I thought we had a good partnership going and that we could do great things together. Then you started not caring, and I suppose it is because you moved on to your new encoder.
I don't know what I changed in detail. I only know that the interface functions are not changed. I only add some more features into the DiAVC.
You should notice the "perhaps".

Quote:
Then you can release a latest version that is compatible with DGAVCDecDI just as version 1.2.2 was? If not, then what does "maintain" actually mean to you?
For example, I fix a problem in the GetMachineCode.exe for some computers that it is hard to get their harddisk serial number in recent days.

Tags
avc, diavc, fastest decoder, h.264, software