Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Video Encoding > MPEG-4 Encoder GUIs

Old 28th October 2015, 20:08   #1501  |  Link
LoRd_MuldeR
Software Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by almosely View Post
Hello, hello ;-)

At first: Great work - thank you!

I am using your launcher quite a while now (1-2 years, I think). And sometimes it happened, that I forgot to switch the "Shutdown computer ..." gadget within the preferences, so my computer shuts down accidentally. Maybe you could place this button outside this "hidden" window to the main windows top area instead?
I'm probably not going to move that option to the main window. However, there already is a countdown (including sound notification) before the system shuts down, so the shutdown shouldn't come at a surprise, even if you forgot the option. You can cancel the shutdown easily. Do you think the countdown needs to be longer? Also, would adding a second button to the countdown dialog be helpful? That button would abort the countdown and disable the shutdown option.

Quote:
Originally Posted by r0lZ View Post
Or, if it's not possible, maybe reset that option to off each time the program is closed.
Probably not a good idea. Someone will complain he has to re-enable the option every time now

Last edited by LoRd_MuldeR; 28th October 2015 at 20:11.
LoRd_MuldeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th October 2015, 02:25   #1502  |  Link
almosely

If I am sitting at my pc, this is no problem at all, of course. The cancel-button is pressed easily in that case. But sometimes I start an encode, go eating, to sleep, shopping (...), start a long download too and other jobs, come back and the pc is shut down while the other jobs could not be finished and have to be started all over again. Or I start an encode, go to the living room and want to use my pc as a media server and at sometime suddenly the connection is lost. So, every time I start your launcher, at first I go to preferences and check, if the shutdown-option is checked or not - just to be safe. Sometimes the shut down is welcome, sometimes not. I change that setting regularly.

Last edited by almosely; 30th October 2015 at 02:37.
almosely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th October 2015, 07:45   #1503  |  Link
kypec
User of free A/V tools

Quote:
Originally Posted by almosely View Post
...I change that setting regularly.
If you keep changing that setting regularly then no one else but you must pay attention when is it ON or OFF and ensure that no other tasks are running when encoding job finishes.
Personally, I never used that option because there are far better ways to save power in Windows. Just check your power settings and setup idle times as needed. That way, your PC will run at full power when needed (encoding video) and can switch off automatically as well once no active tasks are running.
kypec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th October 2015, 08:23   #1504  |  Link
almosely

My energy saving settings are perfectly set. There is no way to save more power for hours then pull the plug. My CPU is running idle almost every time, my GPU too, my monitor switches of after 5 minutes inactivity, my harddrive is permanently on, because I do not shorten its lifetime with unnecessary spin-ups. And if I do not use the system at all, its shut down completely. No hibernation. And I do not want to let my system automatically shut down when no task is running. Sometimes the system has to be running, so I can use it, when I want to, without to change to floor, wait till bootup finishes ...

Yes, I have to pay attention. This is why I check the prefs on every startup. Because I switch so often, I do not know, if I had it set or not. You must not understand that. But you have to accept, that other people think, plan and work different than you.

Other tools, like JDownloader, have that function too and it is - for this reason - solved by a permanently viewable button on top of the main window. Further tools, like Comodo Internet Security, solved the deactivation of some protections by options like "disable for 10 minutes", "disable for one hour" or "disable until next system boot" but not permanently. The last one equals the shutdown-switch with an automated reset to off, after the one shut down. There are many other programs solving the shut-down like a one-time-option, because a shut-down is a big deal.

I thought, my suggestion would be easy to integrate and also be welcome.

Last edited by almosely; 30th October 2015 at 08:29.
almosely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th November 2015, 03:52   #1505  |  Link
rus929

Gud day Lord!

I am very grateful that you've made this application. And I am using this ever since. As of this writing, I am still using v2.46.902. I am trying to install the latest version but it has issues with my system ( win 7 - 64 bit ). It stops my Catalyst Control System. Another issue also that I am experiencing now (with v2.46.902) is that, even if the I disable the "Auto update notification on start up", it still notifies me to check for update everytime I open the application.
I hope you can address this problems and once again thank you very much and more power.
rus929 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th November 2015, 21:26   #1506  |  Link
LoRd_MuldeR
Software Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rus929 View Post
I am trying to install the latest version but it has issues with my system ( win 7 - 64 bit ). It stops my Catalyst Control System.
Not quite sure what you mean. Simple x264 Launcher or its installer don't "stop" anything. And they don't interfere with "Catalyst Control System" in any way.

Yes, it's possible that the installer (LockedList plug-in) will ask you to close certain applications, if and only if those applictions block files that need to be overwritten by the installer. But it certainly won't stop those applications by itself.

So this sounds more like there's an unrelated problem with your display driver ("Catalyst" is the AMD display driver), which happened to hit while you were trying to install/use Simple x264 Launcher.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rus929 View Post
Another issue also that I am experiencing now (with v2.46.902) is that, even if the I disable the "Auto update notification on start up", it still notifies me to check for update everytime I open the application.
That's a pretty old version. Update notifications become more emphatic after a while. And that is intentional

Last edited by LoRd_MuldeR; 13th November 2015 at 21:36.
Old 18th November 2015, 21:10   #1507  |  Link
LoRd_MuldeR
Software Developer

Simple x264 Launcher v2.62
https://github.com/lordmulder/Simple...ases/tag/v2.62

Quote:
Version 2.62 [2015-11-18]
* Make 'custom' Avs2YUV parameters work again
* Changed mode for the Status/Progress columns to "ResizeToContents"
* Updated x265 to version 1.8+106

Last edited by LoRd_MuldeR; 18th November 2015 at 21:13.
Old 18th December 2015, 17:29   #1508  |  Link
Minister

I only found this application recently & want to say how terrific it is. I've been a long time user of MeGUI til now, but have made the switch to Simple x264 Launcher for most projects.

I have a feature request I hope you'll consider.

Currently I use batch files utilizing your CLI switches to load many jobs, which works a treat. However there is no quick way to delete multiple jobs in the queue, instead having to delete them one at a time.
A workaround is closing the program, telling it to discard the jobs at close, then confirming that choice, and after that I can reopen Simple to start over, but that is a bit cumbersome, and not an option if you have jobs currently running that you don't want to abort.

I am hoping you can the add the option to select multiple jobs from the list for deletion. It'd be very helpful for those who run 20-30+ jobs at a time.
Minister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th December 2015, 17:43   #1509  |  Link
LoRd_MuldeR
Software Developer

Hi,

selecting multiple jobs is "problematic". For example, for which job do we show the details in the lower pane, if multiple jobs can be selected in the upper pane?

Maybe I will just add an "Remove all (completed) jobs" entry to the "File" menu...
Old 19th December 2015, 17:44   #1510  |  Link
ben_franklin

4k encoding probs

Hey Mulder,

I guess this is more of a x264/x265 complaint and likely not your problem. I have a 26 second 4k file I am trying to encode and when reducing the resolution to 1080p it encodes fine, but when keeping the native resolution it is always corrupt when producing an x264 encode.

Also when trying to encode to x265 it tells me the input source is not valid. The source file is:

AVI
24 bit RGB (RV24)
24 FPS
4096x1706

Any ideas? Thanks!
ben_franklin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th December 2015, 18:06   #1511  |  Link
LoRd_MuldeR
Software Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben_franklin View Post
Hey Mulder,

I guess this is more of a x264/x265 complaint and likely not your problem. I have a 26 second 4k file I am trying to encode and when reducing the resolution to 1080p it encodes fine, but when keeping the native resolution it is always corrupt when producing an x264 encode.

Also when trying to encode to x265 it tells me the input source is not valid. The source file is:

AVI
24 bit RGB (RV24)
24 FPS
4096x1706

Any ideas? Thanks!
Well, what is the type of source? Avisynth? VaporSynth? Trying to load that AVI file directly?

The latter clearly can not work with x265. And with x264 you'd be using the "built-in" FFMS2 source filter, which may (or may not) be able to decode your source. Might very well be the problem you are describing.

If you are using Avisynth or VaporSynth, do other programs (e.g. VirtualDub) open your script correctly?

Last edited by LoRd_MuldeR; 19th December 2015 at 18:14.
Old 19th December 2015, 18:21   #1512  |  Link
ben_franklin

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoRd_MuldeR View Post
Well, what is the type of source? Avisynth? VaporSynth? Trying to load that AVI file directly?

The latter clearly can not work with x265. And with x264 you'd be using the "built-in" FFMS2 source filter, which may (or may not) be able to decode your source.

If you are using Avisynth or VaporSynth, do other programs (e.g. VirtualDub) open your script correctly?
Allow me to rephrase and elaborate. When encoding and resizing to 1080p in x264 with "--video-filter", it works fine HOWEVER when trying to encode with x264 and NOT reducing the resolution the output always looks corrupt.

The source file is an uncompressed AVI generated in Adobe After effects. Is there some technical reason x265 wont accept that as a source input?
Old 19th December 2015, 18:30   #1513  |  Link
LoRd_MuldeR
Software Developer

Quote:
Allow me to rephrase and elaborate. When encoding and resizing to 1080p in x264 with "--video-filter", it works fine HOWEVER when trying to encode with x264 and NOT reducing the resolution the output always looks corrupt.
In this case you should create an example, containing your full x264 command-line plus the shortest possible source, that can be used to reproduce the problem.

(Source should be provided in YUV4MPEG format, to exclude decoding issues)

Quote:
The source file is an uncompressed AVI generated in Adobe After effects. Is there some technical reason x265 wont accept that as a source input?
I don't think x265 CLI can read anything as input, except for "raw" YUV data and YUV4MPEG. Has that ever changed?

Last edited by LoRd_MuldeR; 19th December 2015 at 18:36.
Old 19th December 2015, 18:49   #1514  |  Link
ben_franklin

Quote:
In this case you should create an example, containing your full x264 command-line plus the shortest possible source, that can be used to reproduce the problem.

(Source should be provided in YUV4MPEG format, to exclude decoding issues)
I'm pretty limited in the uncompressed output that After Effects provides. I don't really see an option for YUV4MPEG.

Quote:
I don't think x265 CLI can read anything as input, except for "raw" YUV data and YUV4MPEG. Has that ever changed?
How are people supposed to take advantage of x265 if it is so limited in what uncompressed formats that it accepts? For example, if I had uncompressed TIFF frames or PNG frames, how would I convert those to a "raw" YUV file?

I am cognizant that you are helping me with "my" problem and I hope I am not being a pest.
Old 19th December 2015, 18:54   #1515  |  Link
LoRd_MuldeR
Software Developer

Quote:
I'm pretty limited in the uncompressed output that After Effects provides. I don't really see an option for YUV4MPEG.
Use FFmpeg to generate Y4M file:
ffmpeg.exe -i input.avi -pix_fmt yuv420p -f yuv4mpeg output.y4m

Quote:
How are people supposed to take advantage of x265 if it is so limited in what uncompressed formats that it accepts? For example, if I had uncompressed TIFF frames or PNG frames, how would I convert those to a "raw" YUV file?

I am cognizant that you are helping me with "my" problem and I hope I am not being a pest.
Just pipe the input from Avisynth or VapourSynth, which gives you access to pretty much any source that exists

And that is, of course, exactly what the Simple x264/x265 Launcher is going to do, if you select an AVS or VPS script file as your input...

(You can also pipe from FFmpeg, which is essentially the same outcome as using x264's "built-in" FFMS2 source)

Last edited by LoRd_MuldeR; 19th December 2015 at 19:17.
Old 19th December 2015, 19:22   #1516  |  Link
ben_franklin

Quote:

Just pipe the input from Avisynth or VapourSynth, which gives you access to pretty much any source that exists

And that is, of course, exactly what the Simple x264/x265 Launcher is going to do, if you select an AVS or VPS script file as your input...

(You can also pipe from FFmpeg, which is essentially the same as using x264's "built-in" FFMS2 source)
Well crap, I was hoping my workflow would be export from After Effects > x264 launcher...

And this brings up another question. If I am "downgrading" the chroma to 420, what if I want 422 or 444? And if x265 is supposed to support enhanced chroma ranges and HDR, why does it need to be reduced to 420?

Again, sorry, I know this is not specifically a Launcher problem....

Oh wait, can I also import yuv422p and yuv444p?

Last edited by ben_franklin; 19th December 2015 at 19:24.
Old 19th December 2015, 19:30   #1517  |  Link
LoRd_MuldeR
Software Developer

Quote:
Well crap, I was hoping my workflow would be export from After Effects > x264 launcher...
Who said you can't?

Just use Avisnyth (or VapurSynth) to load your AVI file and drop it into Simple x264/x265 Launcher. The the most simple case, the AVS script you need is a one-liner

FFVideoSource("C:\Path to my file\Input.avi")

Quote:
And this brings up another question. If I am "downgrading" the chroma to 420, what if I want 422 or 444? And if x265 is supposed to support enhanced chroma ranges and HDR, why does it need to be reduced to 420?
Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I think at this point there are only the "Main" and "Main 10" profiles of H.265/HEVC finished, which provide 4:2:0 chroma sub-sampling with 8-Bit and 10-Bit per pixel, respectively.
Old 19th December 2015, 19:36   #1518  |  Link
ben_franklin

Quote:
Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I think at this point there are only the "Main" and "Main 10" profiles of H.265/HEVC finished, which provide 4:2:0 chroma sub-sampling with 8-Bit and 10-Bit per pixel, respectively.
It is here in the Wiki under "range extensions" and yea, you are right those are not finished....
Old 19th December 2015, 20:43   #1519  |  Link
ben_franklin

Quote:
It is actually ffmpeg.exe -i input.avi -pix_fmt yuv420p -f yuv4mpegpipe output.y4m

I did this and the resultant file was half the size. It also completely murdered the colors, and the result was visually indistinguishable from the 1080p version. The spacial resolution advantage was visually undetectable.

How do the studios do it when remastering down to blu ray?
Old 20th December 2015, 02:01   #1520  |  Link
LoRd_MuldeR
Software Developer

Simple x264 Launcher v2.64
https://github.com/lordmulder/Simple...ases/tag/v2.64

Quote:
Version 2.64 [2015-12-20]
* Fixed a dependency issue with Visual Studio runtime libraries

Version 2.63 [2015-12-19]
* Updated build environment to Visual Studio 2015 with Update-1
* Updated x265 to version 1.8+167