Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Hardware & Software > Software players

Old 21st November 2013, 16:19   #20941  |  Link
vivan
/人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕ 人\

Quote:
Originally Posted by Niyawa View Post
Also a question of my own... the option "use a separate device for presentation (Vista and newer)", does it haves any downsides? Or maybe just something that I should keep in mind? I've tested it enabled with a variety of PCs and it always halved the rendering time, not to mention it made smooth motion more stable too.
On systems with Optimus it was leading to freeze after 30-40 seconds of playback if you were using nVidia GPU for rendering.

UPD: tested right now, seems that this is issue is now gone

Last edited by vivan; 21st November 2013 at 16:27.
vivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st November 2013, 23:59   #20942  |  Link
turbojet

Use separate device for presentation is a must for me with nvidia gts250 and 9500GT, without it there's a lot of dropped frames. However an i3m/HD3000 drops a lot of frames with it enabled and fine disabled.

I'm having an issue with 30fps@60hz and madvr. In display changer there's 1680x1050p60, 1680x1050p72, 1680x1050p75 that were setup with cru lcd - automatic standard. The latter 2 work correctly but anytime a 29.97 video is played it always tries to change to 60hz even if it's already at 60hz and enables smoothmotion (it shouldn't) but when a 59.94 fps video is played it won't try to change to 60hz (if already at 60hz) and disables smoothmotion. Any ideas on fixing it or is this a bug?
Old 22nd November 2013, 02:30   #20943  |  Link
Mangix
Audiophile

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbojet View Post
I'm having an issue with 30fps@60hz and madvr. In display changer there's 1680x1050p60, 1680x1050p72, 1680x1050p75 that were setup with cru lcd - automatic standard. The latter 2 work correctly but anytime a 29.97 video is played it always tries to change to 60hz even if it's already at 60hz and enables smoothmotion (it shouldn't) but when a 59.94 fps video is played it won't try to change to 60hz (if already at 60hz) and disables smoothmotion. Any ideas on fixing it or is this a bug?
It's a Windows 7+ bug. Windows lies to madVR about the refresh rate. Nothing can really be done about it. I also use a 1680x1050 monitor but have the default at 75Hz since mouse movements are smoother and as a result I don't notice it.
Mangix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd November 2013, 03:04   #20944  |  Link
Niyawa

I see, thanks you all for the input. I'd still appreciate if anyone else could tell me their experiences with the option, I'm limited by my own hardware after all.

Also on an unrelated note, any of you guys heard of an issue with madVR where video only appear 5 seconds after even though audio has already started in playback?
Old 22nd November 2013, 04:46   #20945  |  Link
QBhd
QB the Slayer

I also use the seperate device for presentation... Win 7 x64, HD 5770... and IIRC, I had bad drops without it... haven't checked in a very long time if I still need it.

QB
Old 22nd November 2013, 05:47   #20946  |  Link
turbojet

Interesting Mangix but I haven't had the problem with 60hz until now but did have an issue with 75hz that seems to work now. The problem with 60hz was forced film mode, changing back to auto detect fixed it.

The i3m/HD3000 no longer drops a lot of frames with separate device presentation. I remember reading somewhere (probably this thread) that it reduces the chance of frame drops with a little increase in gpu load or something along those lines.

Niyawa, I've experienced the audio playing with no video for at least a few seconds randomly, lately. May be latest deband build or forcing film mode. Sometimes the video never shows and potplayer isn't functional. Closing the player and reopening fixes it.

Last edited by turbojet; 22nd November 2013 at 05:49.
turbojet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd November 2013, 08:44   #20947  |  Link
Vyral

Quote:
I see, thanks you all for the input. I'd still appreciate if anyone else could tell me their experiences with the option, I'm limited by my own hardware after all.
I also use the option "use a separate device for presentation (Vista and newer)" because it always halved the rendering time and produce less dropped frames.
Old 22nd November 2013, 09:50   #20948  |  Link
THX-UltraII

I know that I will go off-topic a little bit with this but I do also know that the knowledge here is far beyond videocard forums. I am running a 4K display device with a Club3D HD7950 card. I configured my ATI control panel to output 3840x2160 (4K)@23Hz. madVR upscales my 2K content to 4K with the JINC3+AR algorithm. This does an outstanding job! This upscaling is the best there is and better then Sony's Reality Creation or Oppo's upscaling tech. The problem however is that I get 'faults' in the content from time to time. Sometimes it is during scene changes or sometimes during scene panning. It is pretty hard to describe the actual problem but think about a cable that is loose. The picture just 'distorts' for some seconds. You see 'bright green/blue distortion lines'. The problem goes away when outputting 1080p from the card. The problem is also not madVR related because it is also there when using EVR. So there is something wrong but I have no clue what. Is there someone who can help me on my way?
THX-UltraII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd November 2013, 13:07   #20949  |  Link
druneau

Quote:
Originally Posted by THX-UltraII View Post
I know that I will go off-topic a little bit with this but I do also know that the knowledge here is far beyond videocard forums. I am running a 4K display device with a Club3D HD7950 card. I configured my ATI control panel to output 3840x2160 (4K)@23Hz. madVR upscales my 2K content to 4K with the JINC3+AR algorithm. This does an outstanding job! This upscaling is the best there is and better then Sony's Reality Creation or Oppo's upscaling tech. The problem however is that I get 'faults' in the content from time to time. Sometimes it is during scene changes or sometimes during scene panning. It is pretty hard to describe the actual problem but think about a cable that is loose. The picture just 'distorts' for some seconds. You see 'bright green/blue distortion lines'. The problem goes away when outputting 1080p from the card. The problem is also not madVR related because it is also there when using EVR. So there is something wrong but I have no clue what. Is there someone who can help me on my way?
I've seen/heard of low "idle" memory clocks causing screen artifacts. On my displays (1080p 144hz and 1440p 120hz) I've had to raise idle memory clocks a few times to avoid glitches while on the desktop.

Now, while playing video with madvr I would expect the card to be working somewhat hard.. so I would think it stays in 3d clock mode. You could monitor your memory clocks using something like hwinfo64 or gpu-z while playing a video and see if clock speeds change near artifacts occuring?
druneau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd November 2013, 13:51   #20950  |  Link
THX-UltraII

Quote:
Originally Posted by druneau View Post
I've seen/heard of low "idle" memory clocks causing screen artifacts. On my displays (1080p 144hz and 1440p 120hz) I've had to raise idle memory clocks a few times to avoid glitches while on the desktop.

Now, while playing video with madvr I would expect the card to be working somewhat hard.. so I would think it stays in 3d clock mode. You could monitor your memory clocks using something like hwinfo64 or gpu-z while playing a video and see if clock speeds change near artifacts occuring?
Ok. I will try this. Could you also tell me how to overclock my card a little bit to see if this helps?
THX-UltraII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd November 2013, 14:14   #20951  |  Link
Niyawa

Quote:
The i3m/HD3000 no longer drops a lot of frames with separate device presentation. I remember reading somewhere (probably this thread) that it reduces the chance of frame drops with a little increase in gpu load or something along those lines.
It seems to be something along those lines. Whenever the option is disabled here, I feel like my GPU isn't being used at all.

Quote:
Niyawa, I've experienced the audio playing with no video for at least a few seconds randomly, lately. May be latest deband build or forcing film mode. Sometimes the video never shows and potplayer isn't functional. Closing the player and reopening fixes it.
Hm, that doesn't seem to be the problem the guy I know is experiencing. He's using the same setup as my guide (or KCP) but I haven't been able to track down any issues that would cause that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vyral View Post
I also use the option "use a separate device for presentation (Vista and newer)" because it always halved the rendering time and produce less dropped frames.
I have the exact same experience. I wish I could have madshi input on things like compatibility that option is limited to. If it's just the OS then okay, but I fear there are a few GPUs that maybe don't work well with it.
Old 22nd November 2013, 15:04   #20952  |  Link
michkrol

Quote:
I'm on Intel HD4000 (Ivy Bridge) and it's bugged with Intel's drivers since a few months (?). Basically OSD stays on screen when you disable it (but doesn't get updated), same when you change the movie display ratio or zoom (size) - the "new" picture gets updated while the "old" stays there still visible. It does reduce render time and it did work correctly with older Intel drivers (don't remember which version).

Quote:
Also on an unrelated note, any of you guys heard of an issue with madVR where video only appear 5 seconds after even though audio has already started in playback?
There was a bug when going fullscreen - madVR behaved as if changing refresh rate, even though it shouldn't, but it's fixed for some time already.
michkrol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd November 2013, 17:19   #20953  |  Link
kerimcem

exclusive mode bar exit(flybar) button added?
kerimcem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th November 2013, 10:07   #20954  |  Link
Buckster

any tips to get Present Queue buffer to increase please ? I've recently upgraded my 5670 (which couldn't really cut it) to a 7850 - and now the render queue is always topped up wheras before it was struggling

what I don't get is that the Present Queue is nearly always empty. I did a search on here and found similar older posts, but no real solutions.

I'm using the smooth motion feature.

No matter what I set my CPU and GPU (render) queue to - they are full, yet the present queue is normally 0-8/8 say - sometimes it gets to 1 but most of time stays at 0

I've tried CPU and GPU queues set to be low, and I've also tried >20 - to no avail - in both cases though they are full

any ideas please ?
Buckster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th November 2013, 11:45   #20955  |  Link
Buckster

well - just a quick update - no idea what was going on yesterday/last night - as this morning I did a full power off restart

and now the Present Queue is always full something must have got confused somewhere
Buckster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th November 2013, 14:04   #20956  |  Link
NicolasRobidoux
Nicolas Robidoux

Mathias:

IMHO the "deblur" you currently use for Jinc3, equal to roughly .98 (which happens to be the same as the default for ImageMagick, by no accident) is right around where "the perfect balance" happens. And this seems to be confirmed by "consensus".

However, and I'm pretty sure you've tried some values before (and most likely I've made the same suggestion before, in this forum no less), you could quiet some voices that want "sharper" by allowing smaller deblurs. I'm not sure implementing features to "quiet" complaints is a good development strategy, but just in case...
NicolasRobidoux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th November 2013, 18:51   #20957  |  Link
NicolasRobidoux
Nicolas Robidoux

Quote:
Originally Posted by NicolasRobidoux View Post
Mathias:
However, and I'm pretty sure you've tried some values before (and most likely I've made the same suggestion before, in this forum no less), you could quiet some voices that want "sharper" by allowing smaller deblurs.
Indeed I have proffered this advice to you before.
Old 24th November 2013, 20:09   #20958  |  Link
NicolasRobidoux
Nicolas Robidoux

Does anybody here happen to know right off the bat whether doing Lanczos 3-lobe filtering as a "two-pass orthogonal filter" directly in Y'Cb'Cr' leads to clipping in the intermediate step? In other words, is the headroom/toeroom of Y'Cb'Cr' enough to prevent under/overflow in the intermediate step (between the horizontal and vertical passes)?
(I could figure this out with a bit of algebra...)
Old 25th November 2013, 20:09   #20959  |  Link
lansing

I'm trying to play an old mpeg1 video in mpc, but it returns an error "madVR reports: creating Direct3D device failed (80070057)"
lansing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th November 2013, 21:16   #20960  |  Link
makakam

There's something that's been buggin me lately. I upgraded my htpc's mobo, cpu and ram memory but left gpu which is sapphire 7770 vapor-x. The thing here is that before the upgrade I got repeated or dropped frames every few hours but now madvr stats show it's every 17 or so minutes. What may be the cause? I need to add that I use level 5 settings and I used it with the old slower config.
makakam is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
direct compute, dithering, error diffusion, madvr, ngu, nnedi3, quality, renderer, scaling, uhd upscaling, upsampling