Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Hardware & Software > Software players

Old 24th March 2009, 23:22   #1  |  Link
Sion

DXVA question...

So, now that MPC-HC has DXVA support, I'm wondering if my dated hardware can handle HD vids better...

Caveat: this machine is old! It has a nvidia 7600GT gpu, and an Athlon XP 3200+ cpu.

Will DXVA offload to that gpu or is it just not supported?

Is there a way to have both the gpu and the cpu cranking in tandem? I think that if both could be working there would be enough power to process 720p easily, if not 1080p. But AFAICT, offloading video processing to the gpu via DXVA is sort of an "all or none" prospect.

Is this correct? Is there a FAQ or wiki or something about DXVA somewhere that I could read up on these topics?

TIA...
Sion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th March 2009, 01:35   #2  |  Link
Kado
Otaku

Not supported. MPC-HC decoder does not have Motion compensation (gpu+cpu decode) only bitstream decoding (full gpu decode). Cyberlink decoder supports MC.
Old 25th March 2009, 06:15   #3  |  Link
DrNein

7600GT AGP was a nice card a couple years ago. I used it for DXVA with a P3000 and it was great for broadcast caps but still borderline for some disc content. I since replaced it with a 2600 for a huge upgrade in DXVA but a bit of a downgrade in 3D and then replaced that with a 3650 for the same DXVA but even better 3D than the 7600GT. Of course a 3850 or 4670 would annihilate it on both accounts but may require a replacement power supply.
DrNein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th March 2009, 17:37   #4  |  Link
shinedot

i had the same problem with mpchc and had to use powerdvd.
shinedot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th March 2009, 17:43   #5  |  Link
DJ Bobo
Encoding Dinosaur!

Yeah, I confirm, the 7600GT isn't supported by MPC-HC.
Look HERE for supported cards.

If you use CoreAVC, you should be able to handle any 720p video with your XP 3200+ though.

1080p will be available only if you upgrade your graphics card. If you don't want the 3D-performance to drop, just get yourself a Radeon HD3650 like DrNein suggested. AGP versions cost about 65€. If you don't mind 3D-performance dropping, an HD2400pro will do just fine, for less than 40€.

Last edited by DJ Bobo; 25th March 2009 at 17:46.
DJ Bobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th March 2009, 21:19   #6  |  Link
Sion

Thanks for all the responses.

MPC-HC says it may have motion compensation some day. I'm in no hurry. I don't use my PC in the HT anyway... except to host files to my xbmc box.

I'm also not too keen on upgrading this aging PC. It is plenty fast for what I mostly do (although it sure takes too long to encode a dvd to x264!) If I'm going to put money towards upgrading, it'd be toward a major upgrade (mobo, cpu, gpu, memory, hdd... basically everything but the case!) Buying an AGP card now kinda feels like throwing money away. I don't play modern games any more either (I did when I bought the 7600gt though, and I still play those games once in a while).

Nice to know, just in case, that there are AGP cards out there that would be an upgrade though (even if they are ATI...). When I bought the 7600gt, I figured it would be the last decent AGP card I could find. My cpu is the fastest cpu my mobo can take, and my memory is also maxed out on this mobo.

Now all I need is some money...
Sion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th March 2009, 19:38   #7  |  Link
Shakey_Jake33

The machine should be plenty for 720p using CoreAVC, I used to play 720p videos on an Athlon XP 2600+ Barton with CoreAVC.
Shakey_Jake33 is offline   Reply With Quote