Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Capturing and Editing Video > Avisynth Usage

Old 26th January 2006, 02:23   #441  |  Link
Mr.Bitey

Manao,

Im using the avisynth that came with MT05 (tsp says you need to use that version for MT05 in the MT05 thread, or v 2.6 (when its released)).
Quote:
So can you try latest 2.5.6 RC, and - if it still doesn't work - can you give me the avs script you used.
Is that AviSynth 2.5.6a (28th oct 2005) or AVS 2.5.6 RC2 (7th Oct 2005) ?

There seems to be a similar discussion going on in the MT05 thread with LSF crashing out with MT5 - seems there might be some incompatability with the avisynth.dll needed (or recommended) for MT05 and the avisynth.dll needed for the +18 versions of masktools..

Cheers,
Bitey
Old 26th January 2006, 04:16   #442  |  Link
foxyshadis
Angel of Night

All of these "issues" are why the front-page is still the official version.

I could try testing various version of avisynth.dll, but I normally run a pre-2.5.7 so I guess I won't see any of the problems. Maybe you can ask tsp for a modified 2.5.7 cvs and see if that solves the problem.
foxyshadis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th January 2006, 09:30   #443  |  Link
Kador

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Bitey
Manao,

Im using the avisynth that came with MT05 (tsp says you need to use that version for MT05 in the MT05 thread, or v 2.6 (when its released)).

Is that AviSynth 2.5.6a (28th oct 2005) or AVS 2.5.6 RC2 (7th Oct 2005) ?

There seems to be a similar discussion going on in the MT05 thread with LSF crashing out with MT5 - seems there might be some incompatability with the avisynth.dll needed (or recommended) for MT05 and the avisynth.dll needed for the +18 versions of masktools..

Cheers,
Bitey
Me, I am using avisynth 2.5.6a, MT05 + avisynth.dll that comes with MT, latest masktools 2a23, removegrain1.0betaSSE3, limitedsharpen (the one in masktools distro), latest fddshow (2006.01.25 but I tried with several versions) and it crashes everytime. did not crash "before" (I mean with masktools pre 2a18)
Kador is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th January 2006, 10:55   #444  |  Link
Emilot

With the same config here, but with RemoveGrainSSE2.dll. Same results, crash everytime....after 2a18!!
Emilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th January 2006, 00:18   #445  |  Link
Mr.Bitey

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxyshadis
All of these "issues" are why the front-page is still the official version.
Dont get me wrong, im happy with the a18 / MT5 LSF combo - works very well! and there is always the 'why fix whats not broken'... Im just at the limit of pushing my CPU (its stable juuust long enough to watch a movie :-) and am looking for any speed improovements..

Quote:
but I normally run a pre-2.5.7 so I guess I won't see any of the problems.
?? Are you saying there are some other builds that might work??

Cheers,
Bitey
Old 13th February 2006, 14:26   #446  |  Link
jjseth

Hi, i use the last limitedsharpenfaster with masktool, etc. Maybe is a stupid question but can soft parameter replace the Soothe function for real encoding?

Quote:
"soft" acts different now: no more boolean true/false, but instead integer 0 - 100 (or -1 -> automatic) instead of blurring before finding minima/maxima, it now softens the "effect-of-sharpening"
And another question....what's exactly the function of soft=-1?

Smile, tomorrow will be worst

Sorry my poor english
jjseth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th February 2006, 10:33   #447  |  Link
Didée

The "soft" option of LimitedSharpen is not related to Soothe's processing. "Soft" in LS is a *spatial* operation, in order to smoothe out pixelation/aliasing/etc that might be caused by strong sharpening settings. Soothe does *temporal* processing to reduce temporal jitter caused by the sharpening process.

So it's two different pairs of shoes, not meant to replace each other, but rather to work together hand-in-hand.

BTW, soft=-1 in LS ~tries~ to find a suited value for "soft" automatically, depending on the used supersampling factors. However I would not trust too much in it, but rather set it manually: suited strengths for "soft" depend pretty much on the combination of values for Smode, strength, supersampling & overshoot ... and so far, no formula containing all these variables & spitting out a good value for "soft" appeared to me.

My little flickr gallery. (Yes indeed, I do have hobbies other than digital video!)
Didée is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th February 2006, 18:36   #448  |  Link
stealth82

Ehm... sorry for the dumb question, I'm a newbie.

I use Avisynth as a ffdshow filter. This is my script call:

LanczosResize(1280,720)
LimitedSharpenFaster(ss_x=1.0,ss_y=1.0,Smode=3,str ength=50,overshoot=7)

I noticed that the Lanczos called through Avisynth is better than ffdshow resize (I don't know why, but that's it). However, ffdshow has more options like the choice of multiple resizes respect the original media resolution, and the possibility to set the tap parameter for the Lanczos resize.

Is there a way to have these two things even through Avisynth? I read the syntax for the Avisynth Lanczos resize:
Quote:
LanczosResize(clip clip int target_width, int target_height, int taps)
The parameter taps (int) allow me to set my preferred taps? For instance, is this setting a Lanczos2?

LanczosResize(1280,720,2)

What for double resize (source NTSC 720x480 = 1440x960, source PAL 720x576 = 1440x1152)?

Thanks, and sorry for my english...

Last edited by stealth82; 16th February 2006 at 00:00.
stealth82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th February 2006, 19:11   #449  |  Link
Richard Berg
developer wannabe

LanczosResize(last.width * 2, last.height * 2)
Richard Berg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th February 2006, 00:32   #450  |  Link
stealth82

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Berg
LanczosResize(last.width * 2, last.height * 2)
Many thanks!
stealth82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th February 2006, 04:13   #451  |  Link
JarrettH

Hey Didee, would the Spatial Smoothing option in DScaler AdaptiveNoise combined with Soothe+LimitedSharpen be redundant? I can't even perceive what Spatial Smoothing does and if you're saying Soothe already does that should I just disable it with AdaptiveNoise?

+ What does the top right "Parameter" in Resize > Settings do? I found I couldn't Lanczos resize (multiply by 2) + LimitedSharpen a DVD without the odd frame skip (enough to be irritating). Actually, I couldn't avoid frame skip with LimitedSharpen on its own. Just doing Lanczos resize with luma/chroma sharpen for now.

P4 2.8GHz, 2x512MB 2-2-2, Media Player Classic VMR9 Renderless mode

Thanks
JarrettH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th February 2006, 05:49   #452  |  Link
JarrettH

bumpity
Old 18th February 2006, 19:40   #453  |  Link
Didée

Mate ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JarrettH
would the Spatial Smoothing option in DScaler AdaptiveNoise combined with Soothe+LimitedSharpen be redundant?
I don't run DScaler on any machine. So no clue what it does where, how or why. However "Spatial Smoothing option in DScaler AdaptiveNoise" sounds to me as if noise is created, and >that< created noise is what gets smoothed? So, no: seems hardly related.

Quote:
I can't even perceive what Spatial Smoothing does and if you're saying Soothe already does that
Sloppy reading you did. I said that Soothe does temporal smoothing, not spatial.

Quote:
+ What does the top right "Parameter" in Resize > Settings do?
Setting WHERE? Dscaler? Ffdshow? LimitedSharpen surely has no top-righthanded setting, neither has Soothe.

Quote:
I found I couldn't Lanczos resize (multiply by 2) + LimitedSharpen a DVD without the odd frame skip (enough to be irritating). Actually, I couldn't avoid frame skip with LimitedSharpen on its own.
Use LimitedSharpenFaster.

My little flickr gallery. (Yes indeed, I do have hobbies other than digital video!)
Didée is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th February 2006, 01:12   #454  |  Link
Mr.Bitey

Quote:
Originally Posted by JarrettH
+ What does the top right "Parameter" in Resize > Settings do?
I presume your referring to ffdshow, if so its the TAP setting on the resizer in ffdshow.. In simple terms the deeper the sharpening.. - most people use 2 or 4. most people say 4 intorduces too much ringing and is too slow so they use 2.. (which is quicker and produces less ringing).

Cheers,
Bitey
Old 21st February 2006, 19:55   #455  |  Link
JarrettH

Ooooo, maybe that's why.

Actually I had been using Faster, I just renamed the script and forgot about it.
Old 22nd February 2006, 12:56   #456  |  Link
jjseth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Didée
The "soft" option of LimitedSharpen is not related to Soothe's processing. "Soft" in LS is a *spatial* operation, in order to smoothe out pixelation/aliasing/etc that might be caused by strong sharpening settings. Soothe does *temporal* processing to reduce temporal jitter caused by the sharpening process.

So it's two different pairs of shoes, not meant to replace each other, but rather to work together hand-in-hand.

BTW, soft=-1 in LS ~tries~ to find a suited value for "soft" automatically, depending on the used supersampling factors. However I would not trust too much in it, but rather set it manually: suited strengths for "soft" depend pretty much on the combination of values for Smode, strength, supersampling & overshoot ... and so far, no formula containing all these variables & spitting out a good value for "soft" appeared to me.
Thanks for the explanation Didee.

Smile, tomorrow will be worst

Sorry my poor english
jjseth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th March 2006, 15:14   #457  |  Link
seehowyouare

"There is no function named mt_edge"
"There is no function named DEdge_mask"

I get one or the other error using LimitedSharpen and dll's from post 1, the last 5 pages and also from the wiki. I've d/l 4 different versions of every .dll used, 5 different versions of the script and every MaskTools I can find.
Can someone test this wiki page and and update if necessary please ? http://www.avisynth.org/LimitedSharpen

Last edited by seehowyouare; 4th March 2006 at 15:22.
seehowyouare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th March 2006, 20:09   #458  |  Link
foxyshadis
Angel of Night

All you need are one of the two versions I linked to.

Step 1: See if you can use LoadPlugin("c:\path\to\Masktools.dll") and whether it now works. If so, it means you're not placing them into your autoload folder.

Step 2: You either have to find it and put them there, or change its location. It will not read plugins that are just plopped into the same folder as the script.

That's an avisynth issue, not LS, so it doesn't belong on that page. Someday I'll get around to making an avisynth troubleshooting FAQ. ^^;
foxyshadis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th March 2006, 05:10   #459  |  Link
seehowyouare

Thanks foxyshadis :-)
I got it working using MaskTools-v1.5.8.zip and the following line.

My understanding was obviously wrong that having the MaskTools.dll in the plugins folder would be adequate as the LimitedSharpen script should autload them.

Here's the script thing I used.

LoadPlugin("C:\Program Files (x86)\AviSynth\plugins\MaskTools.dll")
Import("C:\Program Files (x86)\AviSynth\plugins\LimitedSharpen.avs")

LimitedSharpen(ss_x=1.0,ss_y=1.0,Smode=3,strength=40)

Now LimitedSharpen works on my PC, I guess that means the rest of this day is gone :-)
Old 11th March 2006, 08:16   #460  |  Link
Jeremy Duncan
Didée Fan

This is the plugins and software I'm using.

FFDShow
http://www.afterdawn.com/software/vi...rs/ffdshow.cfm
Avisynth
http://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/a...6.exe?download
Masktools
http://manao4.free.fr/masktools-v2.0a27.zip
Removegrain. Open RemoveGrain with Winrar, http://www.rarlab.com
http://home.arcor.de/kassandro/Remov...emoveGrain.rar
Media Player classic
http://www.afterdawn.com/software/vi...er_classic.cfm
ColorMatrix
http://www.geocities.com/wilbertdijk...atrix_v110.zip

I get mt_masktools.dll and LimitedSharpenFaster.avsi from the masktools
link.
I get RemoveGrainSSE2.dll from the remove grain link.
I get ColorMatrix.dll from the colormatrix link.
I put all of these into my avisynth plug-in folder.

I delete FFAvisynth.dll, DirectShowSource.dll, TCPDeliver.dll,
colors_rgb.avsi from the avisynth plugin folder.

In the removegrain link. Use the SSE that your cpu has, either SSE or
SSE 2, or SSE 3.
If your cpu has no SSE, use the removegrain dll that I showed that end
in "S", that means it's not SSE.
Get the corresponding SSE FFDShow as well.

Copy and paste this script in the FFDShow Avisynth text box;
ColorMatrix()
Lanczos4Resize(1280,768)
LimitedSharpenFaster(ss_x=1.0, ss_y=1.0, Smode=3, strength=60)

I read on avsforum.com that there is certain plug-in's and setup that don't need as much cpu power.
Is there anything like that available today ?

I can't get limitedsharpenfaster to work on my celeron M 1.4 GHz cpu.
Is it true ffdshow only uses the cpu ?
What hardware is recommended for limitedsharpenfaster + ffdshow ?
Jeremy Duncan is offline   Reply With Quote