Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Capturing and Editing Video > VirtualDub, VDubMod & AviDemux

Old 7th September 2005, 23:57   #1  |  Link
Daft

Vdub keeps crashing when compressing DV files

Hi VirtualDub seems to crash a lot when I compress DV files captured from my camcorder. It gets to about 10 to 20 minutes of video then crashes. This happens with all the DV video I capture. It doesn't matter which codec I use to compress. Is there a way I can scan and fix errors in the DV video before I begin compressing? I know Vdub has a error checker, but it doesn't find any. Please help! I would really like to compress my DV video. Thanks.
Daft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th September 2005, 00:05   #2  |  Link

Do you have a DV codec installed or are you using the internal VirtualDub DV decoder? If you have one installed, which one is it?
Guest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th September 2005, 00:35   #3  |  Link
Daft

Quote:
Originally Posted by neuron2
Do you have a DV codec installed or are you using the internal VirtualDub DV decoder? If you have one installed, which one is it?
I have the "Pinnacle DV codec" although the program I have installed called AVIcodec detects it as "Sony Digital Video (dvsd)".
Old 8th September 2005, 01:05   #4  |  Link

I think you'd be better off posting here:

http://forums.virtualdub.org

Also, you should request a moderator to move this to the DV forum. I'll report it for you.
Old 8th September 2005, 01:13   #5  |  Link
setarip_old

@Daft

I'm just personally curious to know the filesizes of the problematic imported files - and what O/S you have...
setarip_old is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th September 2005, 01:29   #6  |  Link
Daft

Update: it seems to not be crashing anymore. Neron2 gave me the idea and I tried installing another DV codec. I'm using the Panasonic DV codec now. Filesizes range from 1gb to 10gb+ and I'm using WinXP Pro. Thanks anyway for trying to help and thanks Neuron2 for giving me the idea of trying another codec
Old 8th September 2005, 01:56   #7  |  Link
mic

FWIW, Sony at least used to recommend disabling their external codecs at any signs of problems... They used one set internally, providing others as courtesy for playback outside of Sony apps.
mic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th September 2005, 02:18   #8  |  Link

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daft
Update: it seems to not be crashing anymore. neuron2 gave me the idea and I tried installing another DV codec.
Glad to hear it! I had never heard of the Sony codec so demurred from giving further advice about it, especially given the power of the "Sony" branding. But I'm happy to have stimulated you to solve the problem on your own.

Last edited by Guest; 8th September 2005 at 02:22.
Old 8th September 2005, 17:13   #9  |  Link
mic

If of interest...

"I had never heard of the Sony codec,,,"

SonicFoundry retail media software now under Sony brand. Their external mainconcept mpg2 codec files cause problems too.
mic is offline   Reply With Quote