Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Video Encoding > MPEG-4 ASP

Old 15th July 2004, 18:51   #1  |  Link
DigitAl56K

DivX Pro 5.2, DivX 5.2, Dr DivX 1.0.5, and DivX Player 2.5.4 released!

Hi all!

It's been just over 5 months now since I officially joined DivXNetworks, and during that time a lot of really cool things have been happening in the world of DivX. It's been a while since I've been able to fill you guys in on all the details, so I'm going to run through a ton of information for you today. Take a deep breathe, relax, and commence reading below when fully prepared

DivXNetworks launches four new products
Today (Thursday 15th July) we are announcing the release of 4 new products:
  • DivX Pro 5.2
  • DivX 5.2
  • Dr DivX 1.0.5
  • DivX Player 2.5.4

We've all been working long hours to bring you a bunch of great new stuff. So now, ladies and gentlemen, here's what we have been working on here at DivX, and what's new in each product:

DivX is now available in four languages
DivX Pro 5.2, DivX, and DivX Player 2.5.4 are now available in English, French, German, and Japanese. Each of these product bundles contains all four languages. You'll also find various parts of the newly redesigned website have been fully localized, as well as our support system.

No Adware! (w00t!)
Since the inception of DivX Pro, we have strived to provide all our users with access to DivX Pro for free. In the past, we have achieved this by shipping DivX Pro 5 with an Adware package. As of DivX 5.2, we are taking action on your feedback, and all Adware has been completely removed from every single product bundle.

Get DivX Pro for free
So if there is no Adware, the next logical question is: "Can I still get a free version of DivX Pro?". And the answer is a resounding "Yes!".
You can now get DivX Pro, completely free, for an unprecedented 6 month trial period with no Adware. This means:
  • The DivX Pro codec
  • All the Pro features
  • The EKG application
  • No Adware
  • No nag screens
We will continue to strive to give you DivX Pro for free, who knows what the future may bring?

Get the optional Google Toolbar!
You love Google, we love Google, everybody loves Google! And now you can get the Google Toolbar for Microsoft Internet Explorer 5 and higher with your DivX installation. The Google toolbar allows you to:
  • Search the web with Google from any site
  • Eliminate pop-up ads
  • Fill in forms with one click
  • Highlight search terms on a page
  • ... and more
The toolbar is also completely optional - you don't need to install it to take the DivX Pro 6 month trial, and if you uninstall the toolbar later it doesn't affect your trial period. Cool huh?

Automatic update and "Check For Updates" tool
All of our products can now check for updates online automatically. This means that you can receive update notifications as soon as we make a release, and also check out other products and downloads that are available from DivX. No information is sent to DivXNetworks when updates are checked, and you can turn it off if you like from the product settings windows. You can also check for updates manually at any time by choosing Check for updates in the DivX folder on your Start menu.

DivX Certified DVD Players now in stores
Probably the coolest thing that has happened over the past few months has been seeing DivX Certified DVD players appear in retail stores worldwide. Here in the States, for example, you can now pick up a brand new Philips DVP 642 in stores such as Best Buy, CompUSA, and Wal-Mart. In Europe, take a look at the Philips DVD 737, or the newer DVP 632 model. All you have to do is burn your DivX movie to a regular data CD or several DivX movies to a regular data DVD and pop it into the player. No file conversion is necessary, and many stores are selling DivX Certified players for as little as $70! The positive feedback we have received not just in our own forums here at DivX.com, but also on forums across the web, and in reviews on the likes of Amazon.com, has been immense. We are regularly informed that DivX Certified units literally go of stock the same day shipments arrive because they're so popular, which is pretty incredible! Check out our newly redesigned Hardware section for more information.

DivX 5.2
DivX 5.2 now includes:
  • Support for three new languages
    DivX 5.2 is available in English, French, German, and Japanese.
  • DivX User Guide
    Full 120 Page illustrated User Guide, updated for DivX 5.2, including Quick-Start Guide. Localized versions (French, German, Japanese) will follow shortly - stay tuned!
  • How-to Guides
    Learn how to encode DivX video using a variety of software products, including VirtualDub, Adobe Premiere, Pinnacle Studio, and Ulead Video Studio. More to follow...
  • Encoder: New Fast mode
    A new Fast mode has been added to the encoder that lays around half-way between Fastest and Standard mode in terms of performance, but virtually matches Standard mode in terms of quality and compression. It is now possible to encode live capture directly to DivX without huge file sizes! Click here to read how Performance/Quality mappings have changed.
  • Encoder: Fix for Fastest mode
    Fastest mode now better respects the encoder rate control, so files more closely match the average bitrate you specify. This also means that Fastest mode now produced DivX Certified-conformant video. Note that Fastest mode requires a very high bitrate to achieve good quality. To obtain the DivX 5.1 behavior for this mode, disable DivX Certified Profiles and select 1-Pass, Quality-based mode with Quantizer=3
  • Encoder: Bitrate Calculator
    You can now calculate the bitrate you need to hit a target file size directly within the encoder configuration dialogue. Simply enter your target file size, the length of your video, and the audio bitrate. The bitrate calculator will enter the correct bitrate for you!
  • Encoder: Intel SSE3 (Prescott) Optimizations
    The DivX 5.2 encoder features optimizations for Intel Prescott CPU's, improving performance by up to 15%.
  • Decoder: Generic MPEG-4
    The DivX 5.1 encoder included a Generic MPEG-4 decoding option. In this release we have improved our generic MPEG-4 support so that your favorite decoder can play more of your favorite movies.
  • Decoder: Blocking fix (Oops!)
    The 5.2 decoder corrects a small issue that can cause blocks to be displayed along high-contrast edges in the picture, mainly affecting anime content. Watch Pokémon as it was meant to be viewed once again!
  • Handheld Profile update
    The handheld profile has been updated to better reflect the capabilities of DivX Certified devices already present in the consumer marketplace. By encoding with the new Handheld profile you can create higher quality video for your Handheld Certified device.

DivX Pro 5.2 (Upgrade Instructions)
DivX Pro 5.2 includes all of the changes in DivX 5.2 (above), and:
  • Encoder: Adaptive Bi-directional Coding
    Bi-directionally encoded frames were first introduced in DivX 5.0, giving a staggering 20% reduction in file size at equivalent perceptual quality. To date, all versions of DivX 5 have used only one non-adaptive bi-directionally coded frame in sequence. DivX 5.2 expands the scope of this feature. The DivX 5.2 encoder now selects both single and multiple consecutive bi-directionally coded frames adaptively, leading to higher compression ratios and even better quality.
  • Encoder: MPEG2 Quantization
    DivX 5.2 has better scalability thanks to MPEG2 Quantization support. Quantization plays an important role in the process of reducing the data used to store the picture. DivX normally uses H.263 quantization, which is optimal for low to high bitrate encoding. MPEG-2 quantization is useful at extremely high bitrates.
  • Encoder: Multi-threaded Feedback Window
    The encoder feedback window is now multi-threaded. If your PC has a HyperThreaded CPU, or multiple CPU's, you can now enjoy the benefits of real-time encoder feedback and control with minimal impact on encoding performance.

Dr DivX 1.0.5 (Upgrade Instructions)
Dr DivX 1.0.5 includes all of the changes in DivX & DivX Pro 5.2 (above), and:
  • Surround sound AC-3 audio
    Dr DivX can now preserve the original surround sound AC3 audio track from VOB files
  • High Definition transport stream encoding
    Dr. DivX now has improved handling of High Definition transport streams
  • New and improved video analysis
    Dr DivX 1.0.5 contains many improvements to video analysis, including determining the duration of a VOB file more accurately
  • MP3 CBR/VBR audio encoding
    Dr. DivX now offers more control in MP3 audio encoding with full CBR and VBR support, and bitrates up to 320kpbs
  • New audio boost to fix low audio encoding
    Dr DivX now boosts the audio volume automatically when encoding AC3 audio/VOB files
  • Latest DivX Pro 5.2 codec
    Dr DivX now features the latest DivX Pro 5.2 codec for superior performance, quality, and compression.

• Numerous fixes:
  • File splitting is more accurate
  • Better optimized DV encoding to incur less dropped frames
  • Better accounting for RIFF chunk overhead for more accurate file sizes
  • Fixed slow audio bug for certain DV cameras
  • Fixed the opening of transport (.ts) stream files
  • Fixed the encoding for playback on PocketPC player
  • Fixed a bug where file splitting would cause a crash on 2nd pass
  • Fixed a bug that caused Dr. DivX to crash when using VirtualDub filters

DivX Player 2.5.4 (Upgrade Instructions)
DivX Player 2.5.4 now features:
  • DivX 5.2 decoder
    The DivX 5.2 decoder has been integrated into the player, adding support for all our new DivX Pro 5.2 features and enhancing playback quality and performance.
  • Support for three new languages
    DivX Player 2.5.4 is now available in English, French, German, and Japanese.
  • High Definition support
    Support for playback of High Definition clips. Support for playback of High Definition clips (720p playback requires a minimum system of 2.4Ghz, 384 RAM, 64 MB VRAM or better. 1080p playback requires a minimum system of 3.0 Ghz, 512 RAM, 128 VRAM or better.
  • Enhanced MPEG-4 playback support
    The DivX Player can now play an even greater range of MPEG-4 videos using the DivX 5.2 decoder.
  • Multiple speeds for Fast Forward and Rewind
    Clicking the Fast Forward and Rewind controls multiple times changes the Fast Forward and Rewind rate.
  • Improved performance
    Playback is smoother and drive activity is reduced when playing from CDs or DVDs

Last edited by DigitAl56K; 17th July 2004 at 02:49.
DigitAl56K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th July 2004, 19:51   #2  |  Link
Hiro2k
New Container Mod

Great News, time to test the decoder with my other Mpeg4 files.

Also I'm very happy that the adware has been removed, 6 months seems like plenty of time to test new things. I'm glad DivX has changed for the better.

I hope DivX keeps getting better, it's good to have competition.

Last edited by Hiro2k; 17th July 2004 at 03:17.
Hiro2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th July 2004, 19:54   #3  |  Link
bond

Quote:
Originally posted by Hiro2k
Also I'm very happy that the adware has been removed, 6 months seems like plenty of time to test new things. I'm glad DivX has changed for the better.
hm i am not so sure if this is a good thing
i for myself prefer a 100% free and unlimited codec, which is also ad-ware free after removing/blocking the ad-ware

now people get the same, but limited to 6 months

MPEG-4 ASP FAQ | AVC/H.264 FAQ | AAC FAQ | MP4 FAQ | MP4Menu stores DVD Menus in MP4 (guide)
Ogg Theora | Ogg Vorbis
use WM9 today and get Micro$oft controlling the A/V market tomorrow for free
bond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th July 2004, 20:01   #4  |  Link
Darrius "Junto" Thompson

Quote:
Originally posted by bond

We don't intend to not have another release or release cycles less than every 6 months thus you can feel fairly certain we will have a release prior to the trial being up... and if not you might imagine we'll do something to keep your build working ... consider this just the first step in ensuring everyone can utilize the best of what we have

Darrius

Last edited by Darrius "Junto" Thompson; 15th July 2004 at 20:10.
Darrius "Junto" Thompson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th July 2004, 20:05   #5  |  Link
Tuning
I'm back! :D

Quote:
Originally posted by bond
IMO, With recurring M$ windows crashes and re-install this move is extremely good for the consumer side.
Old 15th July 2004, 20:22   #6  |  Link
Hiro2k
New Container Mod

Quote:
Originally posted by Tuning
IMO, With recurring M$ windows crashes and re-install this move is extremely good for the consumer side.
That was exactly how I saw it. I re-install my Windows usually before 6 months go by.

@Bond
You have to admit that it's getting better. I also would prefer a 100% free codec, but I don't think that it's in the best interest for DivX. If they want to have their product be supported in the industry by hardware manufacturers they are going to have to charge something for it. It's just a mentality that most companies/CEO's haven't been able to overcome. I tried to sell a company a completely open source "Free" software solution that would save them thousands of dollars in licenses, but they just didn't trust it. They still believe in the old saying "You get what you pay for." Which is not true at all with open source products. What most companies worry about is the tech support offered by Open Source software. If they pay for the liscense then they know if the product doesn't work they can call the company and get something worked out. Which is not something you can easily do with a company that owes you nothing. You have to spend time researching the problem on forums and use groups, which takes time. And time is money in the buisness world.
Hiro2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th July 2004, 22:05   #7  |  Link
DarkWave

No Adware! (w00t!)

Hi,

just one question:

you wrote "No Adware! (w00t!)", but the codec tries to "phone home" to this ip: 216.73.82.14 (reserved-216-73-82-14.dclk.net)
-> doubleclick.net...

there are some other ips, that divx tries to connect to. can you tell us, for what?

it even connects to them when disabling the automated update...

DW

Last edited by DarkWave; 15th July 2004 at 22:41.
DarkWave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th July 2004, 22:46   #8  |  Link
stax76

great to see a new version, some feedback: a DShow encoder that shares the registry settings with the VFW encoder or another interface to the filter parameters and a smaller download for modem users
stax76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th July 2004, 23:22   #9  |  Link
DigitAl56K

Re: No Adware! (w00t!)

Quote:
Originally posted by DarkWave
Hi,

just one question:

you wrote "No Adware! (w00t!)", but the codec tries to "phone home" to this ip: 216.73.82.14 (reserved-216-73-82-14.dclk.net)
-> doubleclick.net...

there are some other ips, that divx tries to connect to. can you tell us, for what?

it even connects to them when disabling the automated update...

DW
Sure,

We use a very simple method to get a few statistics during installation where our installer basically sends a ping that is counted at our end. One example is the language selection you make when you install. E.g. if you choose "French", we count a French installation. It's that simple. There's no other information being transferred - we're very pro-privacy here at DivX. We don't know who you are, we don't know your e-mail address, we don't know your serial number etc.

The reason you probably see the codec trying to "phone home" even when check for updates is turned off, is that we wanted the ability to switch out the artwork at the top of the encoder GUI from time to time. Over the next few weeks you'll see some cool artwork from our artist BusinessmanBob showing up there, and we were thinking of throwing in comic strip designs etc. and other cool stuff in future. You can disable this feature in the codec settings, too

We totally respect your privacy here, and you'll see that we have updated our license agreement for this release to reflect each and every event under which our software might contact our servers, and the majority of the time its nothing more than a simple ping count (DivX Player is an exception, it asks you if you want to subscribe to the newsletter the first time you run it and in that case we will record the e-mail address you enter, and also your system specs but only when you specifically check the box to send them - you can also see exactly what is sent before we get it). These changes are also echoed in our updated website privacy policy.

I hope that addresses your concern

-Al

Last edited by DigitAl56K; 15th July 2004 at 23:34.
Old 15th July 2004, 23:34   #10  |  Link
SeeMoreDigital
Life's clearer in 4K UHD

Quote:
Originally posted by DigitAl56K
The reason you probably see the codec trying to "phone home" even when check for updates is turned off, is that we wanted the ability to switch out the artwork at the top of the encoder GUI from time to time. Over the next few weeks you'll see some cool artwork from our artist BusinessmanBob showing up there, and we were thinking of throwing in comic strip designs etc. and other cool stuff in future. You can disable this feature in the codec settings, too
What happens if you choose to delete all the folders except the DivX folder in Program Files?

Will you prying-ware still try to phone home?

Cheers
Old 15th July 2004, 23:38   #11  |  Link
DigitAl56K

Quote:
Originally posted by SeeMoreDigital
What happens if you choose to delete all the folders except the DivX folder in Program Files?
You can disable rotating artwork and auto-update in the codec settings. There is a checkbox there for each.

You don't need to delete any files, and the codec will only check for banners and updates when the configuration GUI is open. Like I say, we don't use anything more complex than a simple hit counter
Old 16th July 2004, 00:11   #12  |  Link
Arcon

is there an easy way how i can get divx 5.2 to NOT decode divx 3.11 content? i'd like to use divx 3.11 for divx 3.11 material and the 'support generic mpeg-4'-switch seems to release just the xvid 4cc.
Arcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th July 2004, 00:15   #13  |  Link
KoVaR

Re: DivX Pro 5.2, DivX 5.2, Dr DivX 1.0.5, and DivX Player 2.5.4 released!

Quote:
[*]Encoder: New Fast mode
A new Fast mode has been added to the encoder that lays around half-way between Fastest and Standard mode in terms of performance, but virtually matches Standard mode in terms of quality and compression. It is now possible to encode live capture directly to DivX without huge file sizes! Click here to read how Performance/Quality mappings have changed.
link not working ?
im gettind permission denied message...
KoVaR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th July 2004, 00:39   #14  |  Link
JohnV

Can anybody comment on this message:
http://www.hydrogenaudio.org/forums/...dpost&p=226367

Is there any truth in it, or should the message be axed?
Thanks.

Juha Laaksonheimo
JohnV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th July 2004, 01:01   #15  |  Link
DigitAl56K

Re: Re: DivX Pro 5.2, DivX 5.2, Dr DivX 1.0.5, and DivX Player 2.5.4 released!

Quote:
Originally posted by KoVaR
link not working ?
im gettind permission denied message...
I think we've fixed this now, thanks!
Old 16th July 2004, 01:06   #16  |  Link
Gej
DivX guy

Yes, I take on me to send some serial # to early posters in the DivX 5.2 thread, yes even offer to send a DivX DVD player to one of them. I do not try to bribe anyone, but rather give them a chance to understand the bigger picture and what we are trying to do here: More than just a Codec but a complete ecosystem, where the movies you guys create can be played everywhere...

Next time move quicker if you wants some goodies also...
Gej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th July 2004, 01:16   #17  |  Link
DigitAl56K

We do give out goodies from time to time. Sometimes to those who help us test, sometimes to those we want to experience what DivX has to offer, and sometimes to those who just send us really useful feedback

We appreciate your input to DivX
Old 16th July 2004, 02:15   #18  |  Link
JohnV

Hmm, seems that Peter "zZzZzZz" (one of our admins) didn't like the japanese writing spam from divxnetworks IP. I wouldn't have banned you, but he did and insisted it. Sorry..
I don't know if you care, but I can unban you if there won't be more japanese spam. I understand it was a joke from you, but he is a really stubborn guy...

Juha Laaksonheimo
JohnV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th July 2004, 02:18   #19  |  Link
DigitAl56K

We have a few crazies here (which is what makes DivXNetworks such a fun place to work). I'll ask them to stick to English spam in future

Thanks JohnV
Old 16th July 2004, 03:37   #20  |  Link
chilledoutuk

excelent, a new codec for me to test ill post my findings later good work Divx team

When I'm good I'm very, very good but when I'm bad I'm better.
chilledoutuk is offline   Reply With Quote