Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Capturing and Editing Video > New and alternative a/v containers

Old 30th June 2010, 00:39   #1  |  Link
MeridiusUK

Haali Media Splitter audio bug HELP

Hi all

I have 2 mkv files that has 3 audio tracks in each and the english one is first and the default one now when i play the mkv in windows media player the Haali Media Splitter loads up and picks the right english track. fine

the other mkv file which i have for some reason when i play it back it decides to pick track 3 which is not english but when i play it in vlc player it does play the english track which does not use the Haali Media Splitter software.

i have tried the mkvtoolnix and found that the english one is the defalut i have even tried to change it to force that track but Haali Media Splitter still keeps picking the 3rd none english audio wheres vlc player picks the right one.

i ahev even changed the defalut audio to the 3rd spanish one and tried it in vlc and it plays the 3rd track in spanish so mkvtoolnix is working in that respect but Haali Media Splitter will not pick the english track.

i ahve other mkvs with 3 audios and it picks the english track i just dont know why it keeps doing this is this a bug as vlc player seems to work fine?

and windows media centre does the same

can anyone help me here thanks
MeridiusUK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th June 2010, 12:44   #2  |  Link

[bump after thread re-opened]
Guest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th June 2010, 17:03   #3  |  Link
sneaker_ger

Did you set any of the following in the Haali Media Splitter options?
1.) Languages > Audio language priority
2.) Languages > Audio and Subtitle languages
sneaker_ger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th June 2010, 18:48   #4  |  Link
MeridiusUK

the values are all blank what would i need to change them to

cheers
Old 30th June 2010, 20:36   #5  |  Link
sneaker_ger

You shouldn't need to change them, but since they override the "standard track" flag I thought it could be the cause of the problem. That doesn't seem to be the case here. (You may want to enter "eng" into the "Audio language priority" field anyway)

Do the audio tracks have different formats? Can you switch to the first/second track during playback? If you don't have a decoder for the first two tracks Haali will switch to the first one that's supported.
Old 30th June 2010, 21:19   #6  |  Link
MeridiusUK

tried eng setting in the haali settings and still not working and yes i can change the tracks to the english one by clicking on the haali icon in the task bar and selecting it and the english one plays, I just can not understand why as i have the eng track set to default as i have checked with mkvtoolnix i have even tried to force the track but still it keeps picking the 3rd track which is french.

the only thing i can tell which i have just checked is that the movie with 3 audio tracks that picks the right english track are all in dts format. the movies that has the problems with has the 1st track english and 2nd track french in DTS and the third is ac3 spanish.

so it seem that haali picks the ac3 audio track over dts tracks first even if the english dts track is selceted as the default this is the only thing i can think of so this must be a bug in haali ?

is mkvtoolnix a good tool by the way i have herd good things about it and does it rebild mkvs properly without any damage to them ?

Last edited by MeridiusUK; 30th June 2010 at 21:30.
Old 30th June 2010, 21:49   #7  |  Link
sneaker_ger

It could indeed be a bug - or something Haali implemented for reasons unknown to me. You may want to upload a short sample and post the problem this thread.

As to mkvtoolnix: it is pretty much the standard application used for creating matroska files and it's what most people around here use.
Old 30th June 2010, 22:31   #8  |  Link
MeridiusUK

cheers will do.

can i ask another question is there a way to rip the english dts track out and covert it to ac3 and then place it back into teh mkv so that i have a ac3 and dts track ? as some amps and tvs do not support DTS or am i wasting my time and is it best to have both dts and ac3 track in a mkv ?

thanks
Old 30th June 2010, 23:17   #9  |  Link
sneaker_ger

It is possible to do so, you can use eac3to to do the conversion and mkvtoolnix to put the track back into the matroska file. (There are more ways to do it, this is just an example) Please ask in the eac3to thread if you need help concerning the conversion.
If it's really necessary depends on our your playback equipment. Please keep in mind that every conversion to a lossy format implies a quality(/information) loss - though it may be unnoticeable.
Old 30th June 2010, 23:25   #10  |  Link
MeridiusUK

so are the dts tracks in mkvs the best audio to have and ar ethey lossless is there any loss from the orig dvd rip or blu-ray and is it best to try and get thatv erison to play ? can you play dts tracks on a tv do you need to setup the computer or ps3 to play it as a stereo ?

i use a ps3 to playback stuff and a pc

i do have a amp that supports dts but somtimed i just watch the odd movie on the tv so how would i watch it on the tv whitout the amp been on and if i wwant to watch it on the amp i would just select audio track 2 which could be the dts track ?

is it best to have a dts and ac3 track in the mkv file

cheers

Last edited by MeridiusUK; 30th June 2010 at 23:29.
Old 30th June 2010, 23:52   #11  |  Link
sneaker_ger

1.) DTS tracks are usually copied directly from the source DVD without any quality loss. (DTS in itself is a lossy format though)
2.) You can play them on TV if you just want to use the stereo TV speakers: you'd have to setup your computer to output stereo. The setup depends on how you connect (analogue or HDMI)
3.) The PS3 does not support mkv files directly.
4.) if you want to use the amp you can use either HDMI or SPDIF (coaxial or optical).
5.) I don't know what's best for you, it always depends on what you want to do. That's why asking "what's best" is forbidden in here by the forum rules.

I'm no expert in these matters (esp. audio over HDMI) so you might want to ask in the appropriate threads and/or use the search.
Old 1st July 2010, 10:31   #12  |  Link
MeridiusUK

so its best to rip 2 audios one DTS track for amps and one AC3 which is dolby digital 5.1 which also works on tvs ?

is ac3 from a disk compresed and do mkv makers compress them ? or just kleave the audios asa they are on disks?

also what about hd audio as my am support these would it be best to rip hidef audio and one ac3 audio for tv ?

cheers

Last edited by MeridiusUK; 1st July 2010 at 12:33.
Old 1st July 2010, 13:15   #13  |  Link
sneaker_ger

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeridiusUK View Post
so its best to rip 2 audios one DTS track for amps and one AC3 which is dolby digital 5.1 which also works on tvs ?
Since your TV probably doesn't have any sound decoder, it doesn't matter whether you use AC3 or DTS, because your PC has to do the decoding anyways. Both will work fine.

Quote:
is ac3 from a disk compresed and do mkv makers compress them ? or just kleave the audios asa they are on disks?
Both AC3 and DTS are lossy compression formats. You don't need to recompress them. Leaving them as they are on the disks is fine.

Quote:
also what about hd audio as my am support these would it be best to rip hidef audio and one ac3 audio for tv ?
As I said above: your TV probably doesn't have any audio decoder at all, so your PC will have to do the decoding anyways. Both hidef and ac3 will "work on your TV".
Old 1st July 2010, 15:14   #14  |  Link
MeridiusUK

thanks for the help

so if the pc decoded these formats to stero how can you have them play normaly as my amp supports the hd audio format ? if the pc is sending out teh hd or dts as stereo

cheers

also what is the best methed of ripping dvd,blu-rays to hd before you start to compress and alter them i mean getting the whole disk untouched onto the hardrive ?

thnals once more

sorry for all the questions but i am learning to do this from scratch as i have built a media centre and have far to many disks, and the wifes getting sick of them lol reason for the media centre but want to get the best from my dvds and blu rays as i have a lot of high end gear and dont want to lose any quality.

i need to look into wjhat is the best way to compress these into mkvs to to get the best picture

thanks
Old 1st July 2010, 16:55   #15  |  Link
sneaker_ger

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeridiusUK View Post
thanks for the help

so if the pc decoded these formats to stero how can you have them play normaly as my amp supports the hd audio format ? if the pc is sending out teh hd or dts as stereo
You seem to be mixing things up again or I misunderstood you. So far I understood that you want to do either of the following 2 depending on your mood:
1.) use your amp and your separate soundsystem for the sound
2.) use your stereo tv speakers (probably for old movies or series' without decent soundtracks)

How to do it:
1.) Connect your PC to your amp. You can normally do this over HDMI if your PC has support for it. You can then either stream the AC3,DTS, Hi-Def (and others) to the amp and let it decode them or let your PC decode them and stream a lossless PCM stream to your amp. Either way you will not lose any quality.
2.) Set the sound to decode on PC and downmix to stereo and stream the PCM signal to the TV

Please consult this thread about how to do the streaming via HDMI, as I don't have much knowledge about it.

Quote:
also what is the best methed of ripping dvd,blu-rays to hd before you start to compress and alter them i mean getting the whole disk untouched onto the hardrive ?
makemkv is a good option IMHO.
Old 1st July 2010, 20:11   #16  |  Link
MeridiusUK

cheers for that

i now have a riped dvd and blu-ray on my hard drive what is the best progrma to compress them to get the best form my videos i have herd Handbrake is good is this the best and do you know what the best options are cheers
Old 1st July 2010, 20:23   #17  |  Link
sneaker_ger

I'm not familiar with Handbrake but from what I've heard it's good. (Just like the others RipBot, StaxRip etc.) They all use x264 for compressing the video so they produce output of equal quality for equal settings anyways so it doesn't really matter which GUI you choose.
Old 1st July 2010, 22:55   #18  |  Link
MeridiusUK

how do you keep the hd-dts audio in mkv files i want to be able to keep hd audio as my amp supports it ?
Old 1st July 2010, 23:24   #19  |  Link
sneaker_ger

makemkv will keep the hd-dts audio AFAIK. Encode the video with Handbrake (or whatever you happen to choose) and remux them back together using mkvtoolnix.
Old 2nd July 2010, 00:09   #20  |  Link
MeridiusUK

how do i get the hd audio out of the image file to remux the untouched hd audio as handbrake does not support hd audio ?