Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > (HD) DVD, Blu-ray & (S)VCD > Advanced authoring
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 3rd August 2003, 20:24   #1  |  Link
Eyes`Only
Dizzin It Fizzast Fo Yizz

New Major Release: DoItFast4U! 1.2.0

DoItFast4U v.1.2.0 is now available.

Complete Changelog:

Additions:

٠Added PAL frame order detection!
٠Added 'new folder' to the Working Directory browse dialog. (Win ٠2K/XP only)
٠Added ability to autocreate a directory based on the Volume Label of the DVD.
٠Many more controls are now greyed out (disabled) while demuxing so users can't accidentally change drives, click in the DVD Structure, etc.)
٠Modified IFOEdit to use custom .ini file and hopefully remove the issue with blank IFOEdit and the need to delete the .ini.
٠Checking a PGC checkbox in an unchecked VTS will now automatically check that PGC's corresponding VTS checkbox.
٠Unchecking All PGCs in a VTS causes the VTS to become unchecked and collapse.
٠User now has option to remove CSS while copying the VIDEO_TS files to the VIDEO_TS directory. (Does not work with HDD Demux, just like most new features).
٠Added more verbosity to the field detection, and eliminated it from filenames for progressive material
٠DVD2AVI no longer runs twice when FILM>95%, instead the .d2v is rewritten to be film, by modifying parameters (Thanks to FMalibu for setting me straight on this ability!)
٠Added setting for modifying switches to be used with Mpeg2Source ("idct=0" is default, which means use cpu setting from d2v file)
Now uses mpeg2dec3.dll version 1.10 (latest version) for Avisynth 2.5+
٠Using a fieldorder diagnosis by Hard Code.
٠Added dual-diagnosis for field determination, as well as ability to select which one to use in filenames, or turn it off.
٠When creating directory based on volume label, an "are you sure?" warning is not given if files do not exist in the working directory anymore.
٠Added an "Invert Field Order" feature for use with DoCCE4U 1.0.1.5.
٠Added ability to manually toggle Main/Extras VTS flag in DVD Structure.
٠Maximum number of PGCs now supported (999).
٠Added aspect ratio to Subtitle list for better understanding of what different streams are on the actually DVD
٠Added Sub aspect ratio to subtitle folders/filenames for easier identification and future implementation with ReAuthorist.
٠Added ability to suppress AR insertion in sub filenames, for compatibility with RA 1.0.0 (if AR is there, it uses Not Specified as sub language)

Bugfixes:

٠Fixed bug where DTS renaming might leave a VTS's files non-renamed.
٠Fixed issue where demuxing only Angle 1 was causing subs to have all angles still.
٠Fixed issue where demuxing by vobid and having 'all angles' checked caused multiple runs of the video/audio demux.
٠Fixed bug where unchecking PGC1 caused vobid demux to fail (vobid demux always demuxes all PGCs, no matter if user checks/unchecks certain PGCs, anyway! DVD Decrypter limitation, I can't control it)
٠Fixed a bug where the first VTS of a Multi-MainVTS DVD would be marked as non-Main.
٠"Save Settings on Exit" option now remembers the "Never" option on startup.
٠Fixed bug where PCM files weren't being renamed correctly.
٠Fixed a bug where Closed-Captioning was not being performed on PGCs 2+ if subs were not also selected.
٠CellID Demux doesn't delete AC3s when using newer versions of DVD Decrypter.
٠Fixed bug where unchecking all subs and changing VTSes cause subs to not be available if you went back to the sub-containing VTS.
٠Fixed Subtitle List bug where Languages weren't being shown correctly
٠Fixed Subtitle List bug where an extra subtitle would mysteriously manifest itself at the bottom of the list (usually around 0x40)
٠Fixed bug where sub demux by vobid still used size of PGC1 for size threshold.

Known Issues:

٠There has been a noted bug that I can't seem to get any good diagnosis of... For some reason it seems that the CCEData.txt file doesn't have all the VTSes in it on occasion. If anyone is seeing this behavior and can figure out a reason it happens and/or a way to make it happen constantly, please let me know so I can resolve this bug!

See Help>DoItFast4U Help...

Eyes`Only
•DVD2AVIdg useable by ReAuthorist •Bitrate control for use with NuMenu4U •Extras Bitrate applied to smaller PGCs in Main VTS •ScenAid integration •Right-Click Menus •Minimize to Systray •Improved Deinterlace Scripts
See: http://www.doitfast4u.com.

Use the donation link on the above URL or the app itself to make a $15+ donation and join the VIP list today!
Eyes`Only is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th August 2003, 16:18   #2  |  Link
rkorkie

Can anyone tell me why in this new version of DF4U, when you go into the AVS Script Editor and press the Reset to Default button, in the footer section, the line:

ConvertToYUY2()

gets changed to:

ConvertToYUY2(interlaced=true)

I thought you only used interlaced=true if your material was indeed interlaced, otherwise the default is false if nothing is specified in brackets.
rkorkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th August 2003, 18:51   #3  |  Link
FMalibu

This is the 3rd version of this post. The first one was very long but got lost forever because of a login timeout (grr), and as a result the second post was very short. This should be a bit more elaborate.

The MPEG-2 standard has two types of 4:2:0 (YV12 in avisynth) coding modes, interlaced and progressive. The coding mode used depends on the contents of the progressive_frame flag, which can vary per frame. While upsampling your video to YUY2 in avisynth (4:2:2 in MPEG-2 terms), you have to specify one coding mode for the entire stream. The problem is that there are no guarantees that the stream will use the same coding mode throughout the whole of the stream, and secondly that avisynth cannot autodetect this coding mode for you, so you will have to set it manually.

This is all just fine if you're willing to set the interlaced flag of ConvertToYUY2() manually every time you backup a dvd, but let's face it many people are lazy, and not everyone edits the options from their defaults . So the default option should be one that minimizes the damage incurred on your video.

To assess this damage, I shall illustrate what exactly happens when you use the wrong coding mode while converting. But first I will illustrate what happens when you use the correct coding mode.

4:2:0 chroma contains colour information for a total of 4 luma pixels, 2 vertical and 2 horizontal. In 4:2:2 one chroma pixel contains information for only 2 horizontal luma pixels, making the total chroma resolution twice as big vertically. So to upsample avisynth has to fill in the missing vertical pixels. This is what happens during correct upsampling:
Code:
Progressive coding:
C1,2  ->  C1,2
      P   C1,2
C3,4      C3,4
          C3,4

Interlaced coding:
C1,3  ->  C1,3
      I   C2,4
C2,4      C1,3
          C2,4
You see that a progressive mode coded chroma sample contains information for 2 directly adjecent lines (e.g. C1,2), so to convert this to 4:2:2 properly, avisynth uses the colour information in that sample for these two lines. In the case of an interlaced mode coded sample, it will contain information for alternating lines (e.g. C1,3). This has the effect that one chroma sample can only have colour information of one field. If this were not the case, the chroma sample would contain an average of the colour information of both fields, and this does not work well with fast motion or scene changes.

So what happens if we use the wrong coding mode to upsample 4:2:0 video, in both cases:
Code:
Progressive coding:
C1,2  ->  C1,2
      I   C3,4 *
C3,4      C1,2 *
          C3,4

Interlaced coding:
C1,3  ->  C1,3
      P   C1,3 *
C2,4      C2,4 *
          C2,4
I have marked the misaligned fields with a *. So if we look at this we see that the same error gets introduced when we use an incorrect coding mode to upsample.

But let us consider what this implies for actual interlaced video. Because 2 out of 4 lines are switched around, half the colour information of a certain field actually belongs in the other field. This has the effect that on fast motion and scene changes, colour bleeding from one field to the other will be visible.

Progressive video where 2 out of 4 lines have the colour information misaligned does not exhibit this. The colour information will be slightly out of place, but thanks to the interpolation avisynth uses to upsample this will hardly be noticable.

In conclusion, if you do not know the nature of the video that will be processed, setting the interlaced=true option will minimize any damage caused by indicating the wrong coding mode while upsampling. If you do not agree with this line of reasoning, you are of course free to change this option any way you like.

Of course, when you are deinterlacing your video, the inherent interlacedness of any video (and arguably the very farbic of space-time itself) will be destroyed, thus making any interlaced=true option unneeded.

I hope this has clarified why I recommended Eyes`Only to use interlaced=true as a default option to ConvertToYUY2().

- FMalibu

Last edited by FMalibu; 8th August 2003 at 23:50.
FMalibu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th August 2003, 22:38   #4  |  Link
Eyes`Only

Thanks for the clarification, FMalibu. Your knowledge of Avisynth is much appreciated by myself as well as others.
•DVD2AVIdg useable by ReAuthorist •Bitrate control for use with NuMenu4U •Extras Bitrate applied to smaller PGCs in Main VTS •ScenAid integration •Right-Click Menus •Minimize to Systray •Improved Deinterlace Scripts

Use the donation link on the above URL or the app itself to make a $15+ donation and join the VIP list today!
Old 12th August 2003, 17:57   #5  |  Link
Eyes`Only

Due to a bug with Avisynth 2.0.8 users in version 1.2.0, it has been discontinued. DoItFast4U! 1.3.0 is now available for download.

Old 13th August 2003, 02:00   #6  |  Link
rkorkie

Any plans in the near future to support decomb 5.0, even though it's still in beta?
rkorkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th August 2003, 02:31   #7  |  Link
Eyes`Only

How would I 'support' it? You can add the file yourself and rewrite the scripts, there's no 'support' that I need to do to make it work, is there?

And I don't mind supporting betas as long as they work for EVERYONE (which is why mpegdecoder.dll isn't and probably won't be supported, because the author doesn't seem to care about making it work completely for NTSC). Too bad, because it seems like a good addition to our cause, and at one time I followed its development closely hoping he would fix that.

Last edited by Eyes`Only; 13th August 2003 at 02:39.
Old 13th August 2003, 05:38   #8  |  Link
Woolmonkey

When I run DIFU 1.3 after it is done etracting everything and when it should start up REauthorist I get a buffer overrun in Microsoft C++. It has happened twice so far.
Woolmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th August 2003, 05:46   #9  |  Link
Eyes`Only

A bad version was upped to my website, I'm upping the correct one now. I accidentally packaged the one I made with VC7 instead of the one I meant to package, using VC6. Please re-download and you should be fine.

Last edited by Eyes`Only; 13th August 2003 at 07:01.
Old 13th August 2003, 15:48   #10  |  Link
Master Yoda

How do you set the newest version to detect pal frame order or does it do it automaticly.
Master Yoda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th August 2003, 17:04   #11  |  Link
Eyes`Only

Global Options>Other Options>Stream Diagnosis

Old 13th August 2003, 18:49   #12  |  Link
Master Yoda

After going Global Options>Other Options>Stream Diagnosis ,at the mo its off.

So do i put a tick in header flags or frame diagnosis.Im guesing frame diagnosis.

Also whats invert field order in files names and suppress aspect ratio in subtitle filenames.
Old 13th August 2003, 19:45   #13  |  Link
Eyes`Only

Help>DoItFast4U Help...

Old 13th August 2003, 19:52   #14  |  Link
Master Yoda

Sorry about that gezzer, forgot about the help file.I just had a look at it.So for pal under Stream Diagnosis i tick header flags, and i should tick Invert Field Order in Filenames (DoCCE4U 1.0.1.5 compatible), so that if its flag interlaced` docce4u will have progressive untick.

The one thing i dont get though,dvds that are flag as interlaced and the dct type is field, but if i do what poeple say and look at the video in dvd2avi(which also says interlaced) and open the avs in media player there are no interlacing lines.(im talking about pal).

But ive always encoded as what the original dvd is,i.e. what Bitrate Veiwer says.

Last edited by Master Yoda; 13th August 2003 at 19:56.
Old 14th August 2003, 07:21   #15  |  Link
69Mws
Big 3 Padawan

@Hamster Yoda (sorry, couldn't resist...)

The problem is that the information provided by BR Viewer is not 100% reliable, at least for PAL sources.

You have to trust your EYES ONLY

Greetz
69Mws
Old 14th August 2003, 16:15   #16  |  Link
Master Yoda

If i trust my eyes theres no interlacing lines when looking at the video through dvd2avi and media player.But Bitrate viewer,dvd2avi and dif4u all say its interlaced.
Old 14th August 2003, 19:04   #17  |  Link
69Mws
Big 3 Padawan

Quote:
Originally posted by Master Yoda
If i trust my eyes theres no interlacing lines when looking at the video through dvd2avi and media player.But Bitrate viewer,dvd2avi and dif4u all say its interlaced.
well, give it a try and trust your eyes, it always worked for me when my eyes and DIF4U disagreed on my PAL Streams

Greetz
69Mws
Old 14th August 2003, 21:42   #18  |  Link
Master Yoda

Quote:
Originally posted by 69Mws
well, give it a try and trust your eyes, it always worked for me when my eyes and DIF4U disagreed on my PAL Streams

Greetz
69Mws
When you say give it a try, u mean that even though dvd2avi says interlaced,dif4u says interlaced and bitrate viewer says ..

Num. of picture read: 26
Stream type: MPEG-2 MP@ML VBR
Resolution: 720*576
Aspect ratio: 16:9 Generic
Framerate: 25.00
Nom. bitrate: 8000000 Bit/Sec
VBV buffer size: 112
Constrained param. flag: No
Chroma format: 4:2:0
DCT precision: 10
Pic. structure: Frame
Field topfirst: Yes
DCT type: Field
Quantscale: Nonlinear
Scan type: Alternate
Frame type: Interlaced

As i dont see any interlacing lines i should encode it to progressive ....??
Old 14th August 2003, 22:23   #19  |  Link
69Mws
Big 3 Padawan

Quote:
Originally posted by Master Yoda
When you say give it a try, u mean that even though dvd2avi says interlaced,dif4u says interlaced and bitrate viewer says ..

Num. of picture read: 26
Stream type: MPEG-2 MP@ML VBR
Resolution: 720*576
Aspect ratio: 16:9 Generic
Framerate: 25.00
Nom. bitrate: 8000000 Bit/Sec
VBV buffer size: 112
Constrained param. flag: No
Chroma format: 4:2:0
DCT precision: 10

As i dont see any interlacing lines i should encode it to progressive ....??
In your case, when dealing with PAL and you don't find those interlaced combs in several scenes of the stream when scrolling through it a bit in DVD2AVI, YES, make it so

AFAIK it's a known issue with PAL DVDs that framestructure is not always recognized properly, for what reason ever

You can also have the case, that DIF4U and/or BR Viever tell you a source is interlaced although you can see in DVD2AVI that it's an absolutely "clean" progressive picture.

It's also possible, that several apps give you different results, e.g. BR Viewer says Interlaced while DVD2AVI says progressive, what then? You can't really rely on that and have to check for yourself --> and learning by doing is the real way to knowledge btw

Greetz
69Mws

Last edited by 69Mws; 15th August 2003 at 07:15.
69Mws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th August 2003, 22:50   #20  |  Link
Master Yoda

Well before i knew about the big 3 i only every done a movie only backup and when they needed encodeing i alsway used the setting that dvd2avi and bitrate viewer said.

Now when i done my first encode with the big 3 that had those settings above where every thing says it interlaced(no combing lines when played in dvd2avi), i forgot to untick progressive in docce4u and it encoded it progressive.

So the original it BV was ..

and the new encode was ..

DCT type: Frame
Scan type: ZigZag
Frame type: Progressive

NO deinterlacing,no filters etc... and it plays fine on my dvd player,the xbox and the ps2.