Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Hardware & Software > Software players
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 7th February 2016, 19:20   #35881  |  Link
GCRaistlin

Quote:
Originally Posted by madshi View Post
Are you sure it's a misdetection? How do you know?
Sure I am. My display is in 24 Hz mode. ReClock reports it is 24 Hz, too. Also, madVR should switch the display from 60 Hz to 24 Hz when playing 23.976 fps video but no switch happens. So I believe madVR, for the purpose of display mode switching, detects current refresh rate right but OSD displays the wrong value.
Quote:
And does 0.90.4 detect a different refresh rate compared to older madVR builds?
0.90.3 and older builds shows the correct refresh rate.

Magically yours
Raistlin
GCRaistlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th February 2016, 19:22   #35882  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rack04 View Post
If I uncheck crop black bars the problem goes away.
Ok, in that case it might be a bug in madVR, after all. It's hard to say, though. Can you upload your madVR settings, and maybe a small sample of this specific video? It's important that the problem can be reproduced with the sample, otherwise the sample wouldn't be of much use. And which decoder are you using? LAV? Software? Native or copyback DXVA? Which GPU, OS, media player and media player bitdepth?
madshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th February 2016, 19:22   #35883  |  Link
TheVillageIdiot

Hello,

I'd like some help to figure out why I experience what seems like a mild flicker with madVR on. My resolution is 1680x1050 and I have entered "1680x1050p23, 1680x1050p24" under modes madVR may switch to while playing back ntsc content. I am using nnedi3 for upscaling without superres. (changing this has no effect one way or another on the flicker)

Please point me in the right direction, thanks.
TheVillageIdiot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th February 2016, 19:24   #35884  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GCRaistlin View Post
Sure I am. My display is in 24 Hz mode. ReClock reports it is 24 Hz, too. Also, madVR should switch the display from 60 Hz to 24 Hz when playing 23.976 fps video but no switch happens. So I believe madVR, for the purpose of display mode switching, detects current refresh rate right but OSD displays the wrong value.

0.90.3 and older builds shows the correct refresh rate.
You say no switch happens. Wouldn't that indicate that the GPU still outputs 60Hz? Maybe a debug log helps.
Old 7th February 2016, 19:25   #35885  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheVillageIdiot View Post
I'd like some help to figure out why I experience what seems like a mild flicker with madVR on. My resolution is 1680x1050 and I have entered "1680x1050p23, 1680x1050p24" under modes madVR may switch to while playing back ntsc content. I am using nnedi3 for upscaling without superres. (changing this has no effect one way or another on the flicker)
First of all try with different kinds of videos, try resetting madVR to default settings, try a different renderer, try different display refresh modes. All that should help getting nearer to where the problem might be coming from.
Old 7th February 2016, 19:28   #35886  |  Link
rack04

Quote:
Ok, in that case it might be a bug in madVR, after all. It's hard to say, though. Can you upload your madVR settings, and maybe a small sample of this specific video? It's important that the problem can be reproduced with the sample, otherwise the sample wouldn't be of much use. And which decoder are you using? LAV? Software? Native or copyback DXVA? Which GPU, OS, media player and media player bitdepth?
Where would you like the settings and sample uploaded? I'll need to find a way to cut a sample from the m2ts file.

I am using LAVFilters-0.67.0-76 DXVA2 (copy-back), Nvidia GeForce GTX 970, Windows 7 64-bit Ultimate, MPC-BE x64 v1.4.6 (build 1155) and 8-bit bit depth.
rack04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th February 2016, 19:29   #35887  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

mediafire usually works well for me, but I don't really care which host you use.
Old 7th February 2016, 19:35   #35888  |  Link
FDisk80

Quote:
Only the monitor itself goes into standby mode, the PC does not? In that case it might be a GPU driver issue, or a monitor issue, I don't know. Might also be a madVR bug, can't say for sure right now.
Yes. Only the monitor goes in to standby. I never put the PC on standby. It's running 24/7.
I just tested in Windowed 8-bit mode. The video does not freeze. Next step is to test in 8-bit FSE mode. If it freezes it could be something with FSE mode, if it does not freeze then it's something specific to 10-bit mode.
FDisk80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th February 2016, 19:39   #35889  |  Link
rack04

Quote:
mediafire usually works well for me, but I don't really care which host you use.
PM sent. Thanks.
Old 7th February 2016, 19:39   #35890  |  Link
Ver Greeneyes

Quote:
madVR v0.90.5 released
SuperRes with "use linear light" checked broke for me in this build. Everything gets super dark and some light edges seem to get exaggerated. The more passes, the more pronounced the effect gets. It doesn't seem to matter whether I have image doubling enabled or not, so hopefully it's easy to reproduce. I'm using D3D11 in windowed mode, 64-bit build.

Last edited by Ver Greeneyes; 7th February 2016 at 19:43.
Ver Greeneyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th February 2016, 19:49   #35891  |  Link
zvans18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ver Greeneyes View Post
SuperRes with "use linear light" checked broke for me in this build. Everything gets super dark and some light edges seem to get exaggerated. The more passes, the more pronounced the effect gets. It doesn't seem to matter whether I have image doubling enabled or not, so hopefully it's easy to reproduce. I'm using D3D11 in windowed mode, 64-bit build.
woah. http://i.imgur.com/WsYG7vO.jpg

d3d9 overlay (happens without overlay too)
Old 7th February 2016, 19:51   #35892  |  Link
TheVillageIdiot

Quote:
First of all try with different kinds of videos, try resetting madVR to default settings, try a different renderer, try different display refresh modes. All that should help getting nearer to where the problem might be coming from.
Restoring to default settings sorted it. I'm guessing I went overboard with some setting, will try to replicate and find out which one just for my own sake. Thank you for the prompt response.
TheVillageIdiot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th February 2016, 19:52   #35893  |  Link
Thunderbolt8

I might not have the right pictures to compare, but I guess Ill give a little edge to the clean version. basically in both cases the result looked the same for me. but the detailed version was a tiny bit harder on the eye I felt.
Old 7th February 2016, 19:55   #35894  |  Link
Ver Greeneyes

Quote:
Originally Posted by zvans18 View Post
Yeah, it's pretty trippy
Ver Greeneyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th February 2016, 20:44   #35895  |  Link
Sunset1982

same here. SuperRes with LL on...
Old 7th February 2016, 20:48   #35896  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

madVR v0.90.6 released

http://madshi.net/madVR.zip

Code:
* fixed: linear light SuperRes processing got broken in v0.90.5
* fixed: SuperRes chroma processing was broken in certain situations
Old 7th February 2016, 20:51   #35897  |  Link
GCRaistlin

Quote:
You say no switch happens. Wouldn't that indicate that the GPU still outputs 60Hz? Maybe a debug log helps.
I'd rather say that indicate that the GPU outputs 24Hz.
The refresh rate is being displayed incorrectly if the video has been initialized while the player window was on the primary 60 Hz display and is being dropped then to the secondary 24 Hz display. If the player window has been dropped to the secondary display before the video has been initialized OSD displays the correct refresh rate.
Quote:
Maybe a debug log helps.
I've enabled the release mode but still can't find the debug log (under the admin account).

BTW under what conditions madVR writes its settings to the file instead the registry? My limited user account has "Create new file" permission for the madVR directory but madVR still writes its settings to the registry (in case if the madVR registry entry was previously deleted, too).

Magically yours
Raistlin
GCRaistlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th February 2016, 20:59   #35898  |  Link
MaxPain

A quick question from a new user

Hello everyone, I am new to this amazing software and I have been using it for a while now. I have been playing with all the settings and options but I have a question that keeps bugging me. There are two options for for filters like sharpen edges, enhance detail and luma sharpen. One under image enhancements and one under upscaling refinment.
From my experience there are far more obvious changes when I am using the filters under image enhancements. But is it smart to use lets say the sharpen filter two times at prossesing and at upsaling at the same time or is it overkill?
Thanks for your help and please forgive me for my ignorance I am newbe to this

Cheers!
MaxPain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th February 2016, 20:59   #35899  |  Link
krille

Still have problems with downscaling. Madvr seems to choose the wrong alternative.
krille is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th February 2016, 21:13   #35900  |  Link
rack04

Quote:
madVR v0.90.6 released

http://madshi.net/madVR.zip

Code:
* fixed: linear light SuperRes processing got broken in v0.90.5
* fixed: SuperRes chroma processing was broken in certain situations
Fixed my issue. I assume it was the "certain situation".

Tags
direct compute, dithering, error diffusion, madvr, ngu, nnedi3, quality, renderer, scaling, uhd upscaling, upsampling