Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Hardware & Software > Software players

Old 28th January 2016, 21:59   #35681  |  Link
BetA13
cosmic entity

hehe, yeah i got it now
Thanks for all the help from you guys

@madshi

Got the error report also, its quite big lol..

Steps i did:

Started debug log - started movie in windowed mode - after 3-5 sek. i changed to fullscreen mode - 2 sek. later i changed to windowed and quit the player, enden debug mode..

Link to Log:
http://filehorst.de/d/bAuhGbwH

i hope this will help you a bit...

greetings
BetA13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th January 2016, 22:05   #35682  |  Link
clsid

Next time zip/rar the log before you upload it. Then it will be much smaller, and the upload/download will be quicker.
Old 28th January 2016, 23:11   #35683  |  Link
XMonarchY

Does GeForce GTX 960 have any advantages over GTX 970 and 980 series? I know it supports newer CUVID decoding and is much faster at decoding HEVC than GTX 970/980 and Titan X.

- Can LAV Filter CUVID decoding also produce artifacts on GTX 960 like it can on GTX 970/980?
- Does GTX 960's faster CUVID HEVC decoding have any impact on DXVA Copy-Back decoding?
Old 28th January 2016, 23:20   #35684  |  Link
huhn

wrong thread...

the 960 doesn't use hybrid decoding and can decode 10 bit HEVC using an full function decoder that doesn't need GPU or CPU processing power.

the hybrid decoder from the 970 and higher is totally useless in comparison.

and forget CUVID plz...
huhn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th January 2016, 00:01   #35685  |  Link
Thunderbolt8

Quote:
Originally Posted by huhn View Post
the 960 doesn't use hybrid decoding and can decode 10 bit HEVC using an full function decoder that doesn't need GPU or CPU processing power.
is it save to assume that the GTX960 will be sufficient for 4K HEVC downscaling to 1080p with madvr in the future?
Old 29th January 2016, 00:25   #35686  |  Link
huhn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunderbolt8 View Post
is it save to assume that the GTX960 will be sufficient for 4K HEVC downscaling to 1080p with madvr in the future?

depends on the algorithm. the 960 is not really powerful. i would set my eyes on the upcoming polaris or pascal GPUs.
huhn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th January 2016, 01:35   #35687  |  Link
Shiandow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunderbolt8 View Post
Should be reasonably safe. It depends a bit on how you handle the chroma, but really the most sensible thing to do would be to not scale the chroma which is slightly more complicated, but still doable. Downscaling the image also isn't particularly expensive, even this new experimental downscaler runs quite comfortably on my GTX 960 (although strangely enough I take a bigger performance hit than on my late 560 Ti, memory speed seems to be the limiting factor). I can even run that algorithm in combination with use NNEDI3 (16 neurons) chroma scaling, which is a ridiculously inefficient way to shift chroma half a pixel.
Shiandow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th January 2016, 09:41   #35688  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiandow View Post
Should be reasonably safe. It depends a bit on how you handle the chroma, but really the most sensible thing to do would be to not scale the chroma which is slightly more complicated, but still doable. Downscaling the image also isn't particularly expensive, even this new experimental downscaler runs quite comfortably on my GTX 960 (although strangely enough I take a bigger performance hit than on my late 560 Ti, memory speed seems to be the limiting factor). I can even run that algorithm in combination with use NNEDI3 (16 neurons) chroma scaling, which is a ridiculously inefficient way to shift chroma half a pixel.
Did you have time to look into the potential patent issues yet? If there are no problems, I'd love to add your algo to madVR ASAP. I expect downscaling 4K content to 1080p will be a big thing, so good quality downscaling will be more important than ever. Thanks.
madshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th January 2016, 10:27   #35689  |  Link
Shiandow

Quote:
Originally Posted by madshi View Post
Did you have time to look into the potential patent issues yet? If there are no problems, I'd love to add your algo to madVR ASAP. I expect downscaling 4K content to 1080p will be a big thing, so good quality downscaling will be more important than ever. Thanks.
Somewhat. I'm quite sure the method I'm using is different enough from the method they're describing that it won't fall under such a patent application. Also, at the moment it is their responsibility to give sufficient warning of the potential existence of any patent, and given that the content their paper is quite frankly unpatentable it's somewhat unclear what exactly they are trying to patent. At the very least there don't seem to be any patents titled 'perceptually based downscaling of images'.

I could try to see if there's any way to contact them ask them for the patent number (if there even is one), although legally, I don't have to. In fact, I don't gain any legal advantage by making myself aware of any potential patents at this point.
Old 29th January 2016, 10:43   #35690  |  Link
iSunrise

@Shiandow
Wow, the results of that algorithm are quite astonishing. Sharpness of fine details is so much better, it's not even funny. With that algorithm it should be a lot less necessary to even use any sharpener at all when downscaling.

Does it have any side-effects like pronouncing edges with moving images or is it all about getting most of the detail transfered to lower resolution but NOT adding any kind of artificially sharpened edges?

It would be a BIG win if you and madshi could work together on this one.

I would also be highly interested to test it against madshi's "Catmul-Rom with linear-light" downscaling combination. If this is even better than that, then my hats go off to the inventor.

How does it compare performance-wise to say Bilinear or Catmull-Rom?

Last edited by iSunrise; 29th January 2016 at 10:45.
iSunrise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th January 2016, 11:15   #35691  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

Quote:
Somewhat. I'm quite sure the method I'm using is different enough from the method they're describing that it won't fall under such a patent application. Also, at the moment it is their responsibility to give sufficient warning of the potential existence of any patent, and given that the content their paper is quite frankly unpatentable it's somewhat unclear what exactly they are trying to patent. At the very least there don't seem to be any patents titled 'perceptually based downscaling of images'.

I could try to see if there's any way to contact them ask them for the patent number (if there even is one), although legally, I don't have to. In fact, I don't gain any legal advantage by making myself aware of any potential patents at this point.
Sounds good to me. So would it make sense to include your algo into this weekend's madVR build?

BTW, does your algo ring?
madshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th January 2016, 13:20   #35692  |  Link
TMDaines

Quote:
Ok. In some situations the default location might be ok. But often it is not. E.g. look here, playing a DVD (using an LAV test build with the new LAV DVD subtitle export to madVR) with MPC-HC with the "notify media player" zoom control option activated:

default position - | - move up = down

Or here with the "notify media player" zoom control option deactivated:

default position - | - move up - | - move down

Isn't any of the move options always better (in this example at least)? I think having one subtitle line in the active video area and one subtitle line in the black bar is rather bad, and it happens quite often with the standard location.
I am using LAV Nightlies and the latest madVR but cannot get this to work with DVD subtitles. I have a DVD (the German DVD of Die innere Sicherheit) which is non-anamorphic and has a 1.66:1 film windowboxed into the 4:3 space. The subtitles on the DVD itself are partly in the video and partly in the black bars underneath. No matter what combination of settings I use, the DVD subtitles do not move. If I load a separate .srt file into XySubFilter, I can easily get the black bars cropped and the subtitles managed correctly.

Do I somehow need to activate the "new LAV DVD subtitle export to madVR"?
TMDaines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th January 2016, 14:38   #35693  |  Link
Shiandow

Quote:
Sounds good to me. So would it make sense to include your algo into this weekend's madVR build?

BTW, does your algo ring?
That should be doable, the method itself is simple enough.

Haven't seen any ringing yet, or aliasing. Mostly it seems a pretty solid algorithm, but there might be some specific cases where things go wrong.
Old 29th January 2016, 16:22   #35694  |  Link
Sunset1982

Quote:
That should be doable, the method itself is simple enough.

Haven't seen any ringing yet, or aliasing. Mostly it seems a pretty solid algorithm, but there might be some specific cases where things go wrong.
So let's check it out!
Old 29th January 2016, 16:27   #35695  |  Link
Sunset1982

The combination of Nevcairiel, Shaindow and madshi is epic!

Because of guys like these I love my hobby to get the best picture quality possible even more!

Just want to say thank you guys for your hard work!!!
Old 29th January 2016, 16:43   #35696  |  Link
Thunderbolt8

yeah, please implement this algorithm in madvr. Ive mailed the guy who made the algorithm paper about adding some 4k to 1080p downscaled comparisons which he said he wants to add, but so far nothing has happened yet at his website.
Old 29th January 2016, 22:23   #35697  |  Link
har3inger

4k-> 1080p may be big in the future, but for many users, downscaling is already being used all the time for 720p->1440p->1080p. I think it's a great idea to implement it ASAP for testing.
har3inger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th January 2016, 22:29   #35698  |  Link
Nevilne

There's plenty of lower hanging fruit for downscaling, such as box or negative b bicubic as well.
Nevilne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th January 2016, 06:20   #35699  |  Link
bcec

@madshi: I noticed that on my nVidia 980 Ti, 1080p frame packed 3D 23Hz translates to really ~23.000fps (so about every 3-4minutes there's a glitch). If I remember correctly, it was mentioned that madVR forces 3D 1080p at 23Hz. Is there a way to change that to 24Hz instead? Both are supported by nVidia at 1080p frame packed 3D, and 24Hz will be a lot closer to 23.976 than 23.

AFAIK, there doesn't seem to be a way to override/create a custom 3D resolution the same way it exists for non-3D resolutions.
bcec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th January 2016, 07:13   #35700  |  Link
Asmodian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcec View Post
@madshi: I noticed that on my nVidia 980 Ti, 1080p frame packed 3D 23Hz translates to really ~23.000fps (so about every 3-4minutes there's a glitch). If I remember correctly, it was mentioned that madVR forces 3D 1080p at 23Hz. Is there a way to change that to 24Hz instead? Both are supported by nVidia at 1080p frame packed 3D, and 24Hz will be a lot closer to 23.976 than 23.

AFAIK, there doesn't seem to be a way to override/create a custom 3D resolution the same way it exists for non-3D resolutions.
23Hz means ~23.976Hz, if you really had 23.000Hz there would be a glitches continuously, not every 3-4 minutes.

A glitch every 3-4 minutes is a real refresh rate of ~23.971Hz or ~23.981Hz. My 980 Ti runs at about 23.9715Hz so I think you are exactly as expected. Sorry.

You will have to run Reclock or similar for 3D for now because smooth motion does not work with 3D (yet ).

Tags
direct compute, dithering, error diffusion, madvr, ngu, nnedi3, quality, renderer, scaling, uhd upscaling, upsampling