Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Hardware & Software > Software players

Old 16th January 2018, 22:51   #48421  |  Link
mclingo

Quote:
Originally Posted by madshi View Post

What kind of movie did you test this with? Was the movie BT.709 or DCI-P3 or BT.2020?

Hi, it was a straight bluray UK bluray remuxed, not sure, cant seem to pull that info from mediainfo.

Control J clocks it as BT709 but there is some more odd behavior.

If I play the movie with calibration disabled its all overblown in red like I say. If I then press control s to bring up the settings, when the settings screen comes up the colour reverts to normal like the rendering path is being broken, this is with FSE off using MPC-BE.

What I have also noticed is that setting MADVR calibration to Bt.2020 it even more natural, DCI-P3 was still a bit red. With MADVR set to b3.2020 the colour is almost identical to standard EVR rendering in MPC.

Any idea what going on here Madshi?

Last edited by mclingo; 16th January 2018 at 23:31.
mclingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th January 2018, 23:41   #48422  |  Link
TheShadowRunner

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamuriHL View Post
I vote for no exclusive/windowed message.
I vote for a simple toggle, even via registry key, to enable it if we want.
I use madVR mainly for its perfect stability, and the windowed/exclusive info is the most important to me (replying as to why this info versus others), besides the code already exists ^^;
As sometimes i'm swtching from 720p@60 to 1080p@24 and madVR doesn't always go to exclusive mode in that case, with the OSD at least I know.
Old 17th January 2018, 00:36   #48423  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siso View Post
It gave me BSOD, and it detects incorrect aspect ratios, I sent you a sample few months ago...
BSOD is almost always a GPU driver bug. And when it's not, then it's a hardware problem.

I'm sure you sent me a sample, I probably didn't have time to look into that yet. I have a folder with "black bar detection" samples that I need to look at, when I find some time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manni View Post
Unfortunately, as I have to select "your display is already calibrated" with a BT2020 calibration to get SDR BT2020 out of the pixel shader conversion, I don't think I can keep using these 3D LUTs profiled from my rec-709 baseline/calibration in the projector anymore.
That's not true, at least it's not intended to be that way. You should be able to select "convert HDR to SDR with pixel shader math" and then set the display to "calibrate with external 3dlut", and if you then supply both a BT.709 SDR 3DLUT and a BT.2020 SDR 3DLUT, madVR should automatically use the BT.709 3DLUT for BT.709 content and the BT.2020 3DLUT for DCI-P3 and BT.2020 content. And the pixel shader math HDR -> SDR conversion should then not downconvert the gamut if there's a BT.2020 3DLUT.

Quote:
2) Is there a chance for the external command in the custom profiles to be fixed in the near future
It's already in v0.92.11!

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Hitman- View Post
Been using a pre-hdr version of madvr for some time with no issues with my Dell monitor (used for desktop/web) and my Denon AVR - LG TV as an extended display (for movies), both on intel HDMI motherboard outputs.

I have just updated my PC to an 8700K system for UHD playback and installed the latest madvr, however my displays are not being correctly detected

My Dell is listed as the only detected display but the identification EDID within the Dell display properties is my Denon AVR and every time I use the Denon a new identification appears under the Dell display device, again showing the Denon edid, these Id's just mount up each time I use the Denon-TV display, weird.

Can anyone help in fixing this issue, I've added an image snip of madvr devices page - showing the Dell display and numerous identifications within it, each id has been created every time I use the Denon - Tv display.
Uh, that's weird! And is the raw data of all those identifications identical? Try deleting *all* of them. Does that stop the madness?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mclingo View Post
Hi, it was a straight bluray UK bluray remuxed, not sure, cant seem to pull that info from mediainfo.

Control J clocks it as BT709 but there is some more odd behavior.

If I play the movie with calibration disabled its all overblown in red like I say. If I then press control s to bring up the settings, when the settings screen comes up the colour reverts to normal like the rendering path is being broken, this is with FSE off using MPC-BE.

What I have also noticed is that setting MADVR calibration to Bt.2020 it even more natural, DCI-P3 was still a bit red. With MADVR set to b3.2020 the colour is almost identical to standard EVR rendering in MPC.
Sounds like something is completely broken in your GPU driver setup or something. The settings screen coming up shouldn't change anything. I don't really know what to recommend here. Try resetting GPU control panel to default settings. Not sure if that helps. Also try different modes in madVR, e.g. D3D9 vs D3D11, exclusive on vs off. Maybe the GPU does bad things in only one of those modes?
madshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th January 2018, 00:53   #48424  |  Link
ryrynz

Quote:
He mentioned it being fixed, is there something wrong with it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by nevcairiel View Post
Otherwise, madshi may fix the run external program on profile switch thing, then you could build a profile around the matrix and automate anything with an external command as much as you want.

Last edited by ryrynz; 17th January 2018 at 00:55.
ryrynz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th January 2018, 00:55   #48425  |  Link
Clown shoes
King of the Jungle

Hi all,

probably a dopey question but it's been a long couple of days and I'm having one of those pandora's box situations, where I was initially trying to do something that I thought would be straightforward, but have now had to teach myself half a dozen different things to make it happen

Basically I started off by trying to calibrate my new TV about a week ago, but quickly discovered I have colour space issues with parts of my chain... long story short I was looking for an alternative way of running calibration patterns on my TV via my laptop, but discovered that for some unknown reason my laptop (Dell xps15 9550) plays the 0-255 black and white clipping files (mp4s from AVS HD 709) as 16-235, or at least I think that is what is happening, there is no information showing from 0-16 or 235-255.

Where I am slightly confused and the reason I am here is because the only way I can make the file play back correctly on my laptop is by selecting 'TV levels (16-235)' in the properties tab of MadVR.

I'm probably being very stupid here and missing something very obvious, but this is the opposite of what I was expecting. Why does 16-235 reveal the information and 0-255 clip it? Have I done something wrong?

Cheers
Clown shoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th January 2018, 01:21   #48426  |  Link
huhn

Quote:
asically I started off by trying to calibrate my new TV about a week ago, but quickly discovered I have colour space issues with parts of my chain... long story short I was looking for an alternative way of running calibration patterns on my TV via my laptop, but discovered that for some unknown reason my laptop (Dell xps15 9550) plays the 0-255 black and white clipping files (mp4s from AVS HD 709) as 16-235, or at least I think that is what is happening, there is no information showing from 0-16 or 235-255.
that's the point of the file.
if they are >not< shown than BTB and WTW are properly clipped as it should be.
huhn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th January 2018, 02:55   #48427  |  Link
psyside

Hi, can anyone tell me how to enable VP9 in Potplayer? i got GTX1050 ti if that helps regarding settings, thanks.

psyside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th January 2018, 03:35   #48428  |  Link
austinminton

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryrynz View Post
He mentioned it being fixed, is there something wrong with it?
I can confirm profile execution is working fine. I don't have to run any scripts manually for 3D, all built into profile execution. Thanks madshi.
austinminton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th January 2018, 03:45   #48429  |  Link
austinminton

I can even enable and disable 3D on the fly during runtime by setting keyboard shortcuts on the 3D profiles, simply amazing! Finally we have fully automated switching for both 3D and HDR on nvidia. Thanks again madshi for this outstanding release.
austinminton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th January 2018, 09:26   #48430  |  Link
Blackwalker

finally i got a MSI 1060 6GB Yesssssssssssssssss
i'll try later
Blackwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th January 2018, 09:49   #48431  |  Link
nussman

Quote:
Originally Posted by psyside View Post
Hi, can anyone tell me how to enable VP9 in Potplayer? i got GTX1050 ti if that helps regarding settings, thanks.
This thread is for madVR and not for general support.
nussman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 17th January 2018, 10:04   #48432  |  Link
psyside

Quote:
Originally Posted by nussman View Post
This thread is for madVR and not for general support.
Yes sorry! i was sleepy :/
psyside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th January 2018, 11:27   #48433  |  Link
pankov

Quote:
Originally Posted by mytbyte View Post
After a short PM correspondence, the poster with original problem has tried the MPC-BE instead of Zoom player and it worked, so it's probably a player-related problem.
If it's the same person that posted in the Zoom Players forum it turned out that he was using DirectVobSub in his ZP setup/graph while in MPC it was a straight connection from LAV to madVR. After he configured ZP to correctly use xySubFilter everything started working perfectly in Zoom Player.
pankov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th January 2018, 11:30   #48434  |  Link
Manni

Quote:
That's not true, at least it's not intended to be that way. You should be able to select "convert HDR to SDR with pixel shader math" and then set the display to "calibrate with external 3dlut", and if you then supply both a BT.709 SDR 3DLUT and a BT.2020 SDR 3DLUT, madVR should automatically use the BT.709 3DLUT for BT.709 content and the BT.2020 3DLUT for DCI-P3 and BT.2020 content. And the pixel shader math HDR -> SDR conversion should then not downconvert the gamut if there's a BT.2020 3DLUT.
Thanks, but isn't this assuming the SAME profile/calibration is used in the display for all the 3D LUTs? As I can't do this, I have to use the custom profile external command to enable the correct calibration in the display, so that I can have iris open / high lamp / filter for HDR (SDR BT 2020) and iris closed / low lamp / no filter for SDR, correct?

Quote:
Great news, will be very useful for 3D and nVidia users, sorry if I missed this in the change log.

So do you have an answer to my question: how do I select the calibration in the PJ with a batch file? I don't need the JVC commands themselves, I know them, I just need to know how to send them from a batch file. A user has posted how to do it in Python in the JVC thread, but I don't know how to call a python script from a batch file.

So any information (ideally an example of a batch file sending any command to the JVC) about achieving this would be very useful.

Thanks!
Denon X8500H>Vertex>JVC RS500/X7000
Manni is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 17th January 2018, 11:58   #48435  |  Link
Manni

@Madshi:

One idea: is there any way to have MadVR reporting SDR BT2020 in the HDMI stream when doing a conversion? If that was the case, it would allow the Vertex to pick it up and select the correct baseline/calibration in the PJ, without having to deal with profiles/batch files. This is what happens for example if I set the UB900 to do the HDR to SDR conversion, SDR BT2020 is detected and the correct calibration is called. If we can also apply MadVR's 3D LUT, all the issues are solved in one go, at least for Vertex users. Thanks!
Denon X8500H>Vertex>JVC RS500/X7000
Manni is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 17th January 2018, 13:21   #48436  |  Link
-Hitman-

Quote:
Uh, that's weird! And is the raw data of all those identifications identical? Try deleting *all* of them. Does that stop the madness?
Yes all the data under each ident is exact and reports the denon avr everytime.

I do recall this also happening with my old intel 6700 machine and had to revert back to the version of madvr that worked to resolve it, possibly the madvr version that had just got HDR first added, worked fine.

I may have already tried to delete the idents with the old machine to try and get it working and tried again but still everytime my denon/tv display is used a new ident appeared everytime.

I'll try to delete them again tonight on this machine and report back.

Also i might add that the Dell display is on a displayport to hdmi dongle, whether this is attributing to this issue?

I need to use the convertor as i only have 1 display port and 1 hdmi.

Thanks.
-Hitman- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th January 2018, 13:48   #48437  |  Link
Cinemancave

Quote:
I just wanted to say "well done!", the result is significantly better than what I've been able to get with any custom curves, especially regarding saturation in shadow detail and highlights.
I have a similar setup with an X7000 and Vertex in the chain. So are you saying that it's better to let MadVR do the HDR-to-SDR conversion for all regular UHD HDR-content and then applying a BT2020 SDR-config in the JVC instead of using one of the custom curves created by Arves tool, for us JVC owners? Should I use MadVR regular settings for the conversion or modify it in any way?
Cinemancave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th January 2018, 16:29   #48438  |  Link
mclingo

Silly question time?: for those with crappy GPU's, is there any way the rendering load can be shared between the GPU and the CPU, currently when playing a movie My GPU is running at 90% and my i7 CPU below 10%
mclingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th January 2018, 17:05   #48439  |  Link
Siso

@madshi

In a case where the EDID of the monitor is not detected correctly pic ---> http://imgbox.com/0Ba1cnK7 is it ok if I manually choose 8 bit which is my monitor's depth, "auto" seems odd to me?

Last edited by Siso; 17th January 2018 at 17:13.
Siso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th January 2018, 17:42   #48440  |  Link
LUCi5R

Quote:
Originally Posted by mytbyte View Post
OK, so GT 1030 does have the VP9 decoder but no profile 2...I'll live without the latter...thx guyz

P.S. just found this screenshot posted way earlier on this forum: http://jpegshare.net/d2/3a/d23a630cf...5056c.jpg.html

seem like profile 2 is covered as well...seems like quite a little beast
Hi there,

I was reading some of your posts and I was wondering if you could help. I've come across posts & people who had difficulty playing back 2160p media using MadVR/MPC-BE combo with a GT 1030 GPU, and then I've come across others who are able to achieve flawless playback using the same.

I don't believe GT 1030 is "incapable" of UHD HDR (2160p) playback using MadVR/MPC-BE otherwise no one would be able to; but there is some golden settings that achieve this.

Unfortunately I'm experiencing terrible lag/frame rate issue where media is practically unplayable/unwatchable.

I'm not doing any upscaling / downscaling, but simple 1:1 2160p playback of UHD HDR media on a 4K HDR display.

The HTPC has an i5-2600K CPU OC'd to 4Ghz, 8GB DDR4 RAM, and GT 1030 GPU.

Is it possible for you to share your MadVR settings or any advice you can offer?

Thanks!
LUCi5R is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
direct compute, dithering, error diffusion, madvr, ngu, nnedi3, quality, renderer, scaling, uhd upscaling, upsampling