Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Capturing and Editing Video > New and alternative a/v containers

Old 25th May 2014, 09:18   #1  |  Link
Thalyn

MP4Box and Windows Explorer

I've been searching around for this for quite some time now, and even asked the development team of MP4 box about it (they don't even seem to understand what I'm asking exactly), but I cannot for the life of me figure out how to use MP4Box to create an output file that Windows is "comfortable" with. Allow me to explain...

From within the Windows Explorer, right-clicking on an MP4 file and selecting properties will allow you to alter meta information. Title, tags, rating - that sort of thing. If the MP4 file is one I've gotten straight out of Handbrake than it can apply these changes in a fraction of a second. If I've touched the MP4 in any way, shape or form with MP4Box it seems to have to rewrite the entire thing taking as much time as you'd expect given it's reading and writing at the same time on the one drive.

This may not seem like a problem, except all versions of Windows previous to 8 don't like rewriting MP4 containers larger than 4GB. The output file of attempting to do so requires remuxing to be usable at all (and sometimes even that doesn't work). Not a suitable outcome at all if I should happen to forget which files have and haven't been touched by MP4Box.

The only time I have been able to get this to work is by using the -flat flag with MP4Box, though this obviously has its own drawbacks. Using -isom, -3gp and "-brand mp42" all result in usable files but they all have the same limitation.

In fact, the only thing I can see (keeping in mind my tools and knowledge are limited in this area) that differs between an MP4Box and a Handbrake container is that the MP4Box container always features the line "File suitable for progressive download (moov before mdat)" which suggests to me that the Handbrake file is putting the MOOV after MDAT - quite possibly at the end of the file. However, MP4Box appears to include no way to do this.

Is there any way to actually make the MP4Box output function in the same way as Handbrake?
Thalyn is offline   Reply With Quote