Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Capturing and Editing Video > VirtualDub, VDubMod & AviDemux

Old 18th January 2018, 17:53   #1  |  Link
JClement

Software? Time Based correction

I have some old VHS tapes that I am converting with difficulty. There are several problems.
1. Vertical jumping especially on second half frame
2. horizontal shifting of lines
I have a JVC "Pro" SVHS machine. When I turn on the internal TBC the horizontal shifting is stabilized except in certain cases the line breaks in the middle. The vertical jumping is more severe. The shifting is fixed around 95% of the time and looks perfect except when the image tears in the middle.

I got an AVT-8710. It seems to partially fix the horizontal shfting, but still lease some residual shift. So here is where a software fix might come in. I have not yet tested the severe vertical jumping.

I have tried "VHS Sync Restore 2", but is just shifts everything to the left without any individual line correction. Is there any documentation or even a source file for it? I might try avisynth dejitter, but from what I can see it does not have enough adjustments.

So are there any good suggestions? The vertical jitter could be fixed by a program that looks for black space at the bottom because the jitter moves the half frame up and leaves totally black at the bottom. The horizontal jitter fix should take into account the fact that is varies smoothly from line to line and should look for the left edge.

I have provided pictures of a raw frame, with JVC TBC, and with AVT-8710 correction.
Attached Images

JClement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th January 2018, 17:58   #2  |  Link
Ghitulescu

There have been a member here that tried to implement a software TBC, I am sure you'll find it using search.

The results are not perfect, but in the last version they appear to be usable.

It is however infinitely better to use a HW TBC, maybe a better deck (what kind of "pro" is that JVC? is its model so shameful that it cannot be reproduced here? ).

Tags
jitter, tvc, vhs