Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > General > Audio encoding

Old 3rd December 2007, 14:16   #861  |  Link
xbox360

I AM AT A CYBER CAFE & WAITING FOR HELP, ASAP, READ ON !

Quote:
Originally Posted by jruggle View Post
Multiple input file support is now part of Aften SVN. Below is a snippet from the commandline help that shows how to use the new options.

Code:
    [-ch_X file]   Add a mono file to the input list as the channel specified
                       These parameters are used to specify multiple mono
                       source files instead of a single multi-channel source
                       file.  Only valid AC-3 combinations are allow.  The
                       acmod, lfe, chconfig, and chmap parameters are all
                       ignored if multi-mono inputs are used.
                       ch_fl  = Front Left
                       ch_fc  = Front Center
                       ch_fr  = Front Right
                       ch_sl  = Surround Left
                       ch_s   = Surround
                       ch_sr  = Surround Right
                       ch_m1  = Dual Mono Channel 1
                       ch_m2  = Dual Mono Channel 2
                       ch_lfe = LFE
Anyone & Everyone help me !

Can you provide a full working syntax sample for 6 mono wav's to 5.1 ac3 with EX mode enabled please, because I have created a working GUI called Aften Mono GUI. But I cant seem to workout the syntax for 6 mono wav's to 5.1 ac3.
PLEASE HELP AS SOON AS POSSIBLE !!!!!!!!

BELOW IS MY GUI SCREENSHOTS (I SWEAR & PROMISE IF YOU GUYS CAN HELP ME AS SOON AS POSSIBLE on THE SYNTAX SAMPLE, I WILL SHARE THE GUI Named Aften Mono GUI WHITH EVERYONE ON THIS PLANET EARTH !)

Stereo AC3

5.1ch AC3

6.1 AC3

Last edited by xbox360; 3rd December 2007 at 14:22.
xbox360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd December 2007, 15:53   #862  |  Link
tebasuna51

Quote:
Originally Posted by xbox360 View Post
Can you provide a full working syntax sample for 6 mono wav's to 5.1 ac3 with EX mode enabled please, because I have created a working GUI called Aften Mono GUI. But I cant seem to workout the syntax for 6 mono wav's to 5.1 ac3.
With Wisodev aften rev683 this work for me:
Code:
aften -xbsi2 1 -dsurexmod 2 -ch_fl e:\FL.wav -ch_fr e:\FR.wav -ch_fc e:\C.wav -ch_lfe e:\LFE.wav -ch_sl e:\BL.wav -ch_sr e:\BR.wav e:\outEX.ac3
tebasuna51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th December 2007, 01:48   #863  |  Link
xbox360

Quote:
Originally Posted by tebasuna51 View Post
With Wisodev aften rev683 this work for me:
Code:
aften -xbsi2 1 -dsurexmod 2 -ch_fl e:\FL.wav -ch_fr e:\FR.wav -ch_fc e:\C.wav -ch_lfe e:\LFE.wav -ch_sl e:\BL.wav -ch_sr e:\BR.wav e:\outEX.ac3
Is the above same as below ?

Code:
aften -xbsi2 1 -dsurexmod 2 -ch_fl D:\EncodingStuff\Audio Stuff\New Folder\audi_0.wav -ch_fc D:\EncodingStuff\Audio Stuff\New Folder\audi_2.wav -ch_fr D:\EncodingStuff\Audio Stuff\New Folder\audi_1.wav -ch_sl D:\EncodingStuff\Audio Stuff\New Folder\audi_4.wav -ch_sr D:\EncodingStuff\Audio Stuff\New Folder\audi_5.wav -ch_lfe
D:\EncodingStuff\Audio Stuff\New Folder\audi_3.wav D:\EncodingStuff\Audio Stuff\dds.ac3
Because when I use the below I get this error:

cannot mix single-input syntax and multi-input syntax

Old 4th December 2007, 05:41   #864  |  Link
Chumbo

Quote:
Is the above same as below ?

Code:
aften -xbsi2 1 -dsurexmod 2 -ch_fl D:\EncodingStuff\Audio Stuff\New Folder\audi_0.wav -ch_fc D:\EncodingStuff\Audio Stuff\New Folder\audi_2.wav -ch_fr D:\EncodingStuff\Audio Stuff\New Folder\audi_1.wav -ch_sl D:\EncodingStuff\Audio Stuff\New Folder\audi_4.wav -ch_sr D:\EncodingStuff\Audio Stuff\New Folder\audi_5.wav -ch_lfe
D:\EncodingStuff\Audio Stuff\New Folder\audi_3.wav D:\EncodingStuff\Audio Stuff\dds.ac3
Because when I use the below I get this error:

cannot mix single-input syntax and multi-input syntax

You have spaces in the path of the files. Any time the path and/or file name contains spaces, you have to put it in quotes, i.e., "D:\EncodingStuff\Audio Stuff\New Folder\audi_0.wav" rather than just D:\EncodingStuff\Audio Stuff\New Folder\audi_0.wav since the space is a command line delimiter.

I bet using this would work fine:
Code:
aften -xbsi2 1 -dsurexmod 2 -ch_fl "D:\EncodingStuff\Audio Stuff\New Folder\audi_0.wav" -ch_fc "D:\EncodingStuff\Audio Stuff\New Folder\audi_2.wav" -ch_fr "D:\EncodingStuff\Audio Stuff\New Folder\audi_1.wav" -ch_sl "D:\EncodingStuff\Audio Stuff\New Folder\audi_4.wav" -ch_sr "D:\EncodingStuff\Audio Stuff\New Folder\audi_5.wav" -ch_lfe
"D:\EncodingStuff\Audio Stuff\New Folder\audi_3.wav" "D:\EncodingStuff\Audio Stuff\dds.ac3"
Old 4th December 2007, 11:49   #865  |  Link
G_M_C

Quote:
Originally Posted by LigH View Post
Extremely simplified:

The AC-3 encoder converts the incoming samples (similar to MP3) into a frequency spectrum, and stores the (according to the psychoacustic model) most important frequency factors as floating-point values.

The less bitrate you allow, the less frequency factors can be kept as "important". A too low bitrate results in an incompletely restored frequency spectrum while decoding - so the result is rather a less accurate sound/tone (spectrum related) than a less accurate sample value (volume related).

If you allow enough bitrate, AC-3 has the potential to store even a higher resolution and dynamic than dts (in some more or less academic cases); do not expect to exhaust the AC-3 technology with integer PCM audio sources, professional audio studios are able to feed floating-point sample data.
__

The AC-3 (A/52) standard allows 640 kbps AC3. But the DVD-Video standard limits it to 448 kbps for DVD audio streams. Therefore, even some AC-3 decoders in cheap DVD players or homecinema sets are not able to decode AC-3 audio beyond 448 kbps.

Thx for this abriviated explination, i understand it better now. And coming back to my original posting; I understand where these rules-of-thumb came from, it is based on the amount of info you feed the encoder related to the final bitrate.

(feed the encoder less info/less audio-detail for a lower bitrate by adapting the bitrate of the original PCM).

Last edited by G_M_C; 6th December 2007 at 16:29.
G_M_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th December 2007, 20:27   #866  |  Link
G_M_C

I get an error when using the multi-mono input;

I've used EAC3To to demux a DTS track into separate WAV's. Then i try to input those with the following commandline;

Code:
aften.exe -threads 2 -b 4 -dynrng 1 -ch_fl "d:\howl.L.wav" -ch_fc "d:\howl.C.wav" -ch_fr "d:\howl.R.wav" -ch_sl "d:\howl.SL.wav" -ch_sr "d:\howl.SR.wav" -ch_lfe "d:\howl.LFE.wav" "D:\Howl_384[PAL].AC3"
Then i get this;
Code:
Aften: A/52 audio encoder
Version SVN
(c) 2006-2007 Justin Ruggles, Prakash Punnoor, et al.

input format:
WAVE Signed 24-bit little-endian 48000 Hz mono
output format: 48000 Hz 3/2 + LFE

invalid bitrate
error initializing encoder
I changed my commandline, and added "-raw_fmt s24_le" to it, to compensate for the bitrate;

Then i got this error;
Code:
Version SVN

all files must be mono when using multiple input files
invalid input file(s)
And the last error isn't correct; All files are in fact mono (as Aften recognised at the first commandline.

What have I done wrong
Old 6th December 2007, 21:00   #867  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by G_M_C View Post
I've used EAC3To to demux a DTS track into separate WAV's. Then i try to input those with the following commandline
Just wondering: If you're already using eac3to, why don't you let eac3to do the Aften encoding for you? If you want to use the latest Aften build, you can replace the "libaften.dll" that ships with eac3to with the latest version.
madshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th December 2007, 21:01   #868  |  Link
DarkAvenger
HeadAC3he coder

Quote:
-b 4
4kps/ch is a bit too little...
DarkAvenger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th December 2007, 22:12   #869  |  Link
G_M_C

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkAvenger View Post
4kps/ch is a bit too little...
As i understand from the long help; -b 4 means: Encode @ 384 kbps.

And why i want to use aften is that i want to verify EAC3To does the transcoding correctly; DVDLab reports an average of 383 kpbs (and not 384), and i'm under the impression that the surround mix levels are off with EAC3To (too loud, no -3 db applied i think, especially noticable when the DVD is played on a system where a downmix to stereo is needed: The center-channel/voices get mixed to faint and get " lost "). And as i said; I want to verify that by using aften directly.
Old 6th December 2007, 22:58   #870  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

Quote:
And why i want to use aften is that i want to verify EAC3To does the transcoding correctly; DVDLab reports an average of 383 kpbs (and not 384), and i'm under the impression that the surround mix levels are off with EAC3To (too loud, no -3 db applied i think, especially noticable when the DVD is played on a system where a downmix to stereo is needed: The center-channel/voices get mixed to faint and get " lost "). And as i said; I want to verify that by using aften directly.
Oh, that's a welcome test. Please let me know if you find out that eac3to is doing something wrong. Thanks...
madshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th December 2007, 23:42   #871  |  Link
G_M_C

Quote:
Originally Posted by madshi View Post
Oh, that's a welcome test. Please let me know if you find out that eac3to is doing something wrong. Thanks...
np i'll do that (after i get Aften to work offcourse )
Old 7th December 2007, 00:25   #872  |  Link
wisodev

WAV to AC3 Encoder version 1.1 is avaibale for download.

Changes:
Quote:
- Updated Aften sources and libraries to svn revision 703.
- Added support for multi mono input.
- Added MUX Wizard for multi mono input.
- MUX Wizard can import *.mux and *.files file formats, Ansi and Unicode supported (*.files files fully support MUX format).
- MUX Wizard can export *.files files (Ansi or Unicode, depends on build type).
- MUX Wizard can export Ansi *.mux files using MUX file format.
- Added support read and write for *.mux files.
- Added command-line support.
- Changed presets configuration file format.
- Default and ignored preset values are not saved to file.
- Removed option to generate batch scripts.
- Ansi and Unicode configuration files are supported in all builds.
Screenshots:

Thanks,
wisodev

Last edited by wisodev; 7th December 2007 at 00:29.
wisodev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th December 2007, 00:48   #873  |  Link
xbox360

Alas wisodev releases it, wisodev showoff . What I ment was you could have released your app alot earlier you know !
Old 7th December 2007, 00:50   #874  |  Link
G_M_C

Quote:
Originally Posted by wisodev View Post
Thx man, been waiting for this

Have to go to bed now, give it a try tomorrow. See if you app works on those demuxed tracks i have (posted about earlier).
Old 7th December 2007, 00:58   #875  |  Link
jruggle

Quote:
As i understand from the long help; -b 4 means: Encode @ 384 kbps.
I'll change the text to be a little more obvious, but if you read a little more closely you'll see that those are the defaults for different numbers of channels. If your source is 4 channels, the default bitrate will be 384 kbps.
jruggle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th December 2007, 01:12   #876  |  Link
jruggle

Quote:
I changed my commandline, and added "-raw_fmt s24_le" to it, to compensate for the bitrate;

Then i got this error;
Code:
Version SVN

all files must be mono when using multiple input files
invalid input file(s)
And the last error isn't correct; All files are in fact mono (as Aften recognised at the first commandline.

What have I done wrong
There are a couple things wrong. First of all, you should not specify that the input is raw if it is really wav. If you did indeed convert those files to raw, then you need to specify the raw channels and raw samplerate (if different from the default).

That said, I went ahead and changed the default number of channels for raw input to 1 instead of 2. I had been meaning to do this ever since raw input was enabled, but I just forgot about it.
jruggle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th December 2007, 06:37   #877  |  Link
wisodev

Quote:
Alas wisodev releases it, wisodev showoff . What I ment was you could have released your app alot earlier you know !
Yes I know but it took more time to create this release because of changes I've made inside the program so I was stuck with release until now. I hope you did find my program a bit useful anyway
wisodev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th December 2007, 09:57   #878  |  Link
G_M_C

Quote:
Originally Posted by jruggle View Post
I'll change the text to be a little more obvious, but if you read a little more closely you'll see that those are the defaults for different numbers of channels. If your source is 4 channels, the default bitrate will be 384 kbps.
I'm from Holland, so English isnt my native language. It is very much possible I havent understood the help the right way. A "more obvious" description could help out

Last edited by G_M_C; 7th December 2007 at 18:25.
Old 7th December 2007, 17:10   #879  |  Link
Elektra999
DTS Pro Series

Thanks for the WAVtoAC3 v1.1, Wisodev and for working so well.

Frank
Old 31st December 2007, 09:58   #880  |  Link
DarkAvenger
HeadAC3he coder

I posted a highly experimental patch ("proof of concept") at aften ml which adds transcoding support to the lib. Beware that the exe has no support, yet, so it is not targeted at end-users.
DarkAvenger is offline   Reply With Quote