Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Hardware & Software > Software players

Closed Thread

Old 19th December 2011, 19:14   #1  |  Link
Spiderm@n

Few codec questions

I want to ask few questions about some container formats (more like the splitters actually), and if you can help me on my problem.
Ok, so, I watch a lot of anime, also love to play around with ripping video and stuff. Some time ago I switched to Media Player Classic - Home Cinema and I'm pretty much happy with it (actually, I only have WinAmp, MPC-HC and WinDVD as players, fully uninstalled WMP). However, with all the differences in the files I download I have some "problems" lately (not real problems, just those to annoy me). I can't really figure out where the problem comes from thou.
So, for example I have an AVC with FLAC audio and ASS subs in MKV container, but when I play the file it uses the MPC flac decoder (low merit) (as far as I know, those are the de-coders from inside the player, that are used when no other codec is found) even if I have multiple FLAC DS filters installed (CoreFLAC, DC-Bass and 1 or 2 more) it never uses them. I have similar problems with MP4 container, but I'll post them later, since I'm not on my PC atm to check them exactly.
I'm NOT using codec packs. I install the codecs with separate installers usually, use almost the full variety of Core codecs (AVC, AAC, FLAC, WAVPack, Vorbis) and the Home Cinema codecs downloaded from sourceforge (with custom made .bat file to register them, I use them for few years already w/o problems), I don't use Haali (had problems with it, and it's annoying that it always leaves stuff behind it when uninstalled), nor ffdshow. I'm welcome to ideas for configurations and other codecs (but not packs), I additionally config the used codecs with the CodecTweakTool and the Win7DSFilterTweaker.

P.S. Looking for 64 bit DS codecs for AAC, FLAC, DivX, because Windows doesn't want to create thumbnails to files that use such video/audio

P.P.S. About closing my original topic, last time I checked, unless the show is licensed and it forbids distribution around the i-net they are free to be uploaded anywhere, RAWs are perfectly legal, and fansubs aren't illegal either, so downloading unlicensed fansubbed show is not illegal in any country (not to mention that the place I get them from forbids the warez stuff too).
Closed Thread