Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Video Encoding > MPEG-2 Encoding

Old 17th December 2005, 05:25   #121  |  Link
Brewskie

help me for being useless

so...why is it that HC 016 greys out the encode button and bitrate area for a simple script such as the following:

directshowsource("clip.avi")
ConvertToYUY2()
convertfps(29.97)
lanczosresize(352,480)

?

any help appreciated
Brewskie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th December 2005, 05:38   #122  |  Link
Ebobtron
Errant Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brewskie
so...why is it that HC 016 greys out the encode button and bitrate area for a simple script such as the following:

directshowsource("clip.avi")
ConvertToYUY2()
convertfps(29.97)
lanczosresize(352,480)

?

any help appreciated
"ConvertToYUY2()" HC only supports YV12 input.

Hank is a very nice guy. He gives you a hint instead of a hammer.
as far as your being useless, no help given.
Ebobtron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th December 2005, 06:34   #123  |  Link
neo squidward

Turns out my problem was because I had ConvertToYUY2() in it. Thanks ebobtron
neo squidward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th December 2005, 09:05   #124  |  Link
Ebobtron
Errant Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by neo squidward
Turns out my problem was because I had ConvertToYUY2() in it. Thanks ebobtron
You are welcome, sir.

@ Brewskie
Your question was not useless, it helped neo squidward too.

@ all
I hope that everyone caught the small detail about HCGUI being a gui that uses HCBatch as the encoder. I remind everyone of this because you can expect the behavior of both to have changed a little. Which prompts the following from me.

Oh Hank,
HCGUI always overwrites HC.ini, not that there is anything wrong with that, I can pass the needed parameters to HCBatch except for one (FRAMES) in the command line arguments, I think it is just FRAMES I would have to go count.
Code:
*FRAMES     start end      enabled  encode start to end
 *FRAMES     start end      disabled  encode all
I am reluctant to offer a solution as I feel like I am picking the nit. Maybe HCGUI could pass an INI to HCBatch instead of overwriting HC.ini, leaving a default INI as a starting point for batch only operation or add -sf -ef to the param list.

Ok, I am done for today.
TTFN
Ebobtron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th December 2005, 15:25   #125  |  Link
Mug Funky
interlace this!

@ Brewskie and neo squidward:

Clouded's "motion" plugin has a function called "blendfps()" which works in yv12 and does the same thing as convertfps(), with a couple of extra options (like "aperture" which controls how "blendy" it is, 1.0 being pretty much what convertfps does, less being jerkier and more being blurrier).

you might want to try that out and see if you get faster encodes with it (theoretically higher quality too, but only chroma is affected and that's barely ever noticable).
Old 17th December 2005, 20:50   #126  |  Link
Brewskie

Thank you Ebobtron and Mug Funky!
Brewskie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th December 2005, 22:56   #127  |  Link
Asmodeus
juzer

ok.
I've tested hc16 on freeBSD through wine, and it works perfecty (as all earlier versions). On my 1.5 celeronM360 laptop I get ~19fps, as an opossite to standalone P4 3.2HT with windoze ~30fps, so not so bad. No bugs for now.
Still waiting for separate fixed quantizer for each frame type I,P,B Hope it will be in next version... soon
Asmodeus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th December 2005, 00:45   #128  |  Link
hank315
HCenc author

About the YV12 colorspace, ConvertToYV12(), I just forgot to write the message in the GUI , it's detected but not reported...

@Asmodeus
The fixed quantizers for each frame type I,P,B will be in the next release.
It will be implemented as multipication factors for P and B-frames with a range 0.5 - 2.0

@Ebobtron
Will add the frames start-end as parameter in the next release.
hank315 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th December 2005, 13:46   #129  |  Link
Asmodeus
juzer

Quote:
@Asmodeus
The fixed quantizers for each frame type I,P,B will be in the next release.
It will be implemented as multipication factors for P and B-frames with a range 0.5 - 2.0
Nice
Asmodeus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd December 2005, 02:41   #130  |  Link
Mug Funky
interlace this!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebobtron
Feature request:
Because you have the best scene detector I have ever seen. Could you maybe create a non encoding scene detection pass for HC. Which we could then look at and modify as needed.
can i second this?

also, saving the exact GOP structure somewhere could be extremely useful for multiangle encodes - we're usually stuck with a constant structure for multiangles which is usually fine, but if you want to use scene-detection and autogopping on the main angle, and the 2nd angle isn't as important, it could be very handy to be able to encode the 2nd angle with the same structure as the 1st.

of course, this is by no means necessary (i don't know of any encoders that do this), but it may be the kind of feature that would set HC apart from the rest of the field.
Old 22nd December 2005, 16:41   #131  |  Link
christoofar

Hello

I still get this memory error message every single time I use HCEnc, which is bundled w/ AVI2DVD. The latest release still gives me this message:
Attached Images

christoofar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd December 2005, 20:26   #132  |  Link
Prodater64

Quote:
Originally Posted by christoofar
Hello

I still get this memory error message every single time I use HCEnc, which is bundled w/ AVI2DVD. The latest release still gives me this message:

I think is the memory could not be read error.
So the issue is still present.
Try http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.ph...225#post703225
Old 23rd December 2005, 07:32   #133  |  Link
christoofar

Prodater-

thanks for yr response! But I am a little unlear on what to do with this "Kill Error" .zip. Do I just run the.exe once & it works from that point on? Do i need to run it each time I start my system? The other link in that thread specific to HCEnc HCEnc error killer no longer works.
Does Hank have any clue in how to eradicate this problem? This one issue prevents this from being an almost perfect encoder.
Old 23rd December 2005, 12:46   #134  |  Link
Prodater64

Quote:
Prodater-

thanks for yr response! But I am a little unlear on what to do with this "Kill Error" .zip. Do I just run the.exe once & it works from that point on? Do i need to run it each time I start my system? The other link in that thread specific to HCEnc HCEnc error killer no longer works.
Does Hank have any clue in how to eradicate this problem? This one issue prevents this from being an almost perfect encoder.
If you want to forget the problem just run the exe (though a direct access in programs\start folder). The program will run every time windows start, it will be memory resident without take to much resources.
HC will give you the error, but kill-error will close its window, and batch encoding will go ahead.
If you don't want make it run when windows starts, run it just before use HC Encoder.

Last edited by Prodater64; 23rd December 2005 at 17:11.
Prodater64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd December 2005, 15:41   #135  |  Link
christoofar

Prodater

Could you explain step by step on how to do the direct access thru start folder ?
Sorry, not too sure on how to accomplish .
Again many thanks for yr help on this.
Old 23rd December 2005, 17:18   #136  |  Link
Prodater64

Quote:
Prodater

Could you explain step by step on how to do the direct access thru start folder ?
Sorry, not too sure on how to accomplish .
Again many thanks for yr help on this.
No problem.

1 - Download kill-error_en.zip
2 - Unzip it in any folder you want (i.e. i have it in a program files\misc folder)
3- Drag it (Kill-error_en.exe) with RIGHT mouse button to taskbar, start, programs, start. Once start menu opens , drop inside it the file and select "create direct access" when the popup shows you. Maybe the words are a little bit different as my OS is in spanish, but you will know how to do it for sure.
Old 23rd December 2005, 17:54   #137  |  Link
christoofar

Not seeing where this comes into play:
3- Drag it (Kill-error_en.exe) with RIGHT mouse button to taskbar, start, programs, start. Once start menu opens , drop inside it the file and select "create direct access" when the popup shows you.

I was able to right click/drag the .exe onto the Taskbar, but from there, I am not clear on what to do next. Are you saying to leave the .exe in the Taskbar, but to add a shortcut to it in the Startup folder?
Old 23rd December 2005, 18:13   #138  |  Link
christoofar

ok..I think that I have it running on startup now, as I did the above ( created shortcut to .exe in taskbar in StartUp folder.) Is it possible to do this , but have the .exe in another location other than the taskbar? It also added two .dlls to my taskbar - kind of cluttered up now. But I can live with it, if it isn't possible...
Old 23rd December 2005, 20:53   #139  |  Link
Prodater64

Quote:
ok..I think that I have it running on startup now, as I did the above ( created shortcut to .exe in taskbar in StartUp folder.) Is it possible to do this , but have the .exe in another location other than the taskbar? It also added two .dlls to my taskbar - kind of cluttered up now. But I can live with it, if it isn't possible...
You almost get it.
If you create a shorcut in start folder, and not put the exe direct in the folder, those dlls will be where you unziped kill-error.exe (a folder for it) and in start folder only will be the shorcut.
Please, any further question in kill-error_en.zip thread as here is a little bit off topic.

@all: Sorry for off topic issue.
Old 24th December 2005, 17:13   #140  |  Link
christoofar

So sorry, thought this was a thread about the newest release of HC encoder ,where problems regarding bugs were discussed. I'd mistakenly considered this memory error msg to be a bug. Apologies to all.