Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Video Encoding > MPEG-4 ASP

Old 22nd July 2004, 01:21   #121  |  Link
AmigaFuture

Heheh..you're funny!
Old 22nd July 2004, 21:45   #122  |  Link
V-tec

to the list add a check to DivX 5.2 decoder.
I have found that there are some problems to decode DivX 5.02 video's.
A strange black blocks appears during panning motions of dark objects or in dark areas.
With 5.11 decoder all works right.

cheers

v-t
V-tec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd July 2004, 01:22   #123  |  Link
DigitAl56K

Thanks V-tec, I have this one already
DigitAl56K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th July 2004, 20:21   #124  |  Link
bond

i did a quick test with divx5 and here are my findings:

- where can i change the language used?
- does divx5 use 2 warppoint gmc now? at least its indicated in the vol that way!
- the followed mpeg-4 profile/level is still not marked in the vol
- in my test divx5 used max. 2 consecutive b-frames. is this the hardcoded upper limit?
- mpeg2 quant mode is definitely the default mpeg matrix and not some funky custom one (did anyone expect something different?)
- is the slowest mode supposed to work? here, on a pentium3 866mhz, it didnt: i only got 0fps in vdm and some strange unreadable .avi file got created (2pass mode)
- psychovisual enhancement is in contrary to nerodigital and xvid NOT adaptive quantisation (or at least it kicks in that rarely that i didnt see it being used). instead i think its simply some sort of smoothing preprocessing filter

MPEG-4 ASP FAQ | AVC/H.264 FAQ | AAC FAQ | MP4 FAQ | MP4Menu stores DVD Menus in MP4 (guide)
Ogg Theora | Ogg Vorbis
use WM9 today and get Micro$oft controlling the A/V market tomorrow for free
bond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th July 2004, 21:23   #125  |  Link
niamh
Dismembered

Quote:
is the slowest mode supposed to work?
It works here on a P4 1.9 mhz (I always use it for last pass, but I have to say I only ran one or 2 short encodes with 5.2. But no problems)
niamh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th July 2004, 12:49   #126  |  Link
Jawor
Ex-ter-mi-nate!

Quote:
Originally posted by bond

- is the slowest mode supposed to work? here, on a pentium3 866mhz, it didnt: i only got 0fps in vdm and some strange unreadable .avi file got created (2pass mode)
It works fine on my Celeron Tualatin 1.2 GHz. I think it has the same or similar instruction set as a PIII 866 Mhz.
Quote:
Originally posted by bond
- psychovisual enhancement is in contrary to nerodigital and xvid NOT adaptive quantisation (or at least it kicks in that rarely that i didnt see it being used). instead i think its simply some sort of smoothing preprocessing filter
I read the explanation from "The Official DivX Guide" and it sounds to me more like shape-adaptive DCT as described in the MPEG-4 standard. Perhaps someone in the know should confirm or deny this.

Archive of my Xvid builds

http://www.videoaudio.pl
Jawor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th August 2004, 07:02   #127  |  Link
AmigaFuture

Greetings again,

I wasn't terribly happy with the lack of answers to my questions & I'm not usually the kind of person to just say "Aw, heck with it." & do it anyway without info making sure the product IS worth the money. However, this is one of those RARE times. I'm very happy with the Philips DVP-642 I bought, even though my Apex DVD player wasn't even that old...I won't be buying another DVD player for a long time to come as along as Philips DOES stick to doing GOOD quality as well as DivX doing the same.
I've been watching DivX for a while & Philips has been a good solid name so I don't see the machine having problems. Anyway, with that said I'll point out what I was looking for & what I've found thus far:

DivX video with AC3 audio wrapped in AVI format (MPEG-4) with the ability to pick from _multiple_ AC3 tracks since I also archive commentaries. They do not play well from a standard 700MB CD-R, The Matrix being tested..you'll get audio drop-outs, & some video jerking at different times in the movie (I only have the Soundtrack & Commentary because I don't like the Score commentary much..I'm not a huge fan of the music..) HOWEVER, as I started to notice through different questions OTHER people asked & *problems* (I don't have *issuses*) they had that DVD+R/Ws work very well!! THIS was pleasing to actually SEE. Copy 3 AVI files from 700MB CDs to the Harddrive, then burn them to a DVD+RW & playback in Philips DVP-642...SWEET! All plays fine, except for a *moment* or so of _lag_ when pressing the AUDIO button for the AC3 to catch up with the Video, but it works pretty darn nice! I do happen to have some older archives of my put-away DVDs where I used MP3 (320kbit) & they worked just fine from a CD-R.. Humm..kind of annoying since I only use AC3.

Overall, DivX/XviD seems to be working well. AC3/MP3 are working well, too, with a minor annoying step being needed when AC3 is used. I just don't like MP3 for movies...I can hear the loss. So far, all in all, it's working VERY well. Auto/GodianKnot & DvdReMake (Pro), DVD Rebuilder, DivX, XviD are GREAT tools. Love the new hardware, I'll have to keep tabs on the firmware updates. Thanks, guys! This sure makes it easier to keep my originals is GREAT shape!!!

Rock on! The MP3 player needs some info displayed.. No ID3 Tags or anything? I'll check the docs again..humm.. Maybe it's sacraficed for Video playback? Haha.
Old 20th August 2004, 03:59   #128  |  Link
AmigaFuture

@DigitAl56K or anyone else...

I'm trying to import chapters into VDubMod which contains DivX video & multiple AC3 audio. (I hope I'm posting in the right area..) When I save a part of the file as .AVI it doesn't retain the chapters or subtitles. When I save it as .OGM it does play via Classic Media Player but the Philips DVP-642 just kicks the DVD+RW out. I haven't yet tried with a CD-RW but I'd guess the same results.
Is VDubMod 1.5.10.1 the wrong container maker? Is something something I'm not doing correctly? The owners manual says it DOES handle subtitles within the file (AVI) but nothing about chapters. I'm not hard encoding Subtitles as I don't care for that method. I'm using SRT (SubRip) which DOES work fine as an external file in Philips DVP-642.

Thanks in advance for replies.
Old 20th August 2004, 04:56   #129  |  Link
jggimi
Moderator Emeritus

@AmigaFuture

Your question is about container and player capabilities, and has nothing to do with DivX, per se.

The AVI container is incapable of housing a subtitle stream, nor can it manage chapter marks. With AVI, subs must either be "burned in" as part of the video images, or they must be retained in a separate file.

What external subtitle formats are supported during playback, if any, will depend upon your AVI player. The issues are the same for standalone players as well as PC-based players. For example, my standalone player doesn't support any external subtitle files, nor does the Windows Media Player.

But, in Windows, one can use DirectVobsub to overlay subtitles with any DirectShow based AVI player, such as Windows Media Player, as long as the subtitle format is understood by DirectVobSub, and file location and naming convention rules are adhered to. Obviously, one can also use some software AVI players that understand subtitles, such as BSPlayer or ZoomPlayer. These may support a broader selection of subtitle file formats. In the same fashion, a standalone player that supports external subtitles should have a list of supported formats, as well as any other restrictions that may apply to their use.

If I recall correctly, OGM and MKV containers both support chapter marks and subtitle streams. Unfortunately, I don't know the capabilities of your hardware player, but based on your description, it appears it doesn't understand the OGM container.
Old 20th August 2004, 05:17   #130  |  Link
AmigaFuture

Hi. That's why I said I wasn't sure if this was the right area or not. I'm a little confused about where the problem is.

I understand how to play AVIs via windows or another OS, & that WMP (Yuck!) won't play Subtitles without something like FFDShow which is what I use with Media Player Classic. I'll move my question to the hardware players area then.

Note that so far I've read the manual from top to bottom but have seen nothing talking about the container that's used (ogg/mvk..) & nothing about extentions (Geez, I wish Windows didn't have to use those.. Amiga did it right, I miss that!)

Again, thanks for the reply.
Old 20th August 2004, 05:27   #131  |  Link
stephanV
gone

Quote:
Originally posted by jggimi
@AmigaFuture

The AVI container is incapable of housing a subtitle stream, nor can it manage chapter marks. With AVI, subs must either be "burned in" as part of the video images, or they must be retained in a separate file.

this is wrong, avistreaminfo has a ffctype "text" for textstreams. in other words: textbased subs are very well possible in AVI. you can mux srt and ssa subs in AVI with AVImux gui. there probably isnt any hardware support for it though. some players do support srt subs burned as a separate file on the cd. youd have to check the manual.

chapters are (probably) not possible in AVI

hardware for support for OGM or MKV doesnt excist AFAIK... unfortunately (for mkv anyway...)

Last edited by stephanV; 20th August 2004 at 05:30.
stephanV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th August 2004, 06:02   #132  |  Link
jggimi
Moderator Emeritus

Thanks for the clarification on the AVI container capabilities, Stephan.
Old 20th August 2004, 07:15   #133  |  Link
AmigaFuture

@stephanV

Thanks for the reply. I thought it should be able to be used as a container but even with AVI-Mux GUI 1.16.7 I'm not having any luck saving subtitles with AVI. After going back to the User manual again I see, "If an external subtitle has been selected, the DivX embedded subtitle will be deactivated."

Does Embedded mean "burned in" or wrapped in a container? I'll admit I'm a little confused by the wording. Checking different sites it sounds like "encoded into the video" but then there's "deactivated". So what should I use to make subtitles "embedded" & not "encoded into the video"?

Thanks.

Last edited by AmigaFuture; 20th August 2004 at 07:18.
AmigaFuture is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th August 2004, 07:24   #134  |  Link
lark
Regular User

i'm pretty sure they are not _encoded_ into the video with avimuxgui,
because that would mean encoding the whole video again...

regards
t
lark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th August 2004, 07:36   #135  |  Link
AmigaFuture

I understand AVI-Mux GUI is just a de/MUXer & not an encoder like VDubMod.
Old 20th August 2004, 13:31   #136  |  Link
stephanV
gone

Quote:
Originally posted by AmigaFuture
@stephanV

After going back to the User manual again I see, "If an external subtitle has been selected, the DivX embedded subtitle will be deactivated."

Does Embedded mean "burned in" or wrapped in a container?

I have no idea what it means actually... i dont know what a "divx" subtitle is...

which manual was that? of your DVD player? like i said a DivX player is not lileky to support subs wrapped in the AVI-container. you have to burn them as separate file.
stephanV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th August 2004, 19:45   #137  |  Link
AmigaFuture

Yes, my Philips DVP-642 manual. That's the closest it comes to telling what kind of container the machine reads or if the subs are burned in. I'll try writing DivX support.
Old 20th August 2004, 19:57   #138  |  Link
SeeMoreDigital
Life's clearer in 4K UHD

Quote:
Originally posted by AmigaFuture
Yes, my Philips DVP-642 manual. That's the closest it comes to telling what kind of container the machine reads or if the subs are burned in. I'll try writing DivX support.
As you probably already know, the Philips DVP 642 can spin Mpeg4/Mp3 in both the .AVI and .MP4 containers

However, as far as I'm aware the player does not support subtitles placed in the MP4 container... well not Nero subtitles. But I suppose we could do more tests!

As a matter of interest, have there been many firmware updates for this player?

Cheers