Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Video Encoding > New and alternative video codecs

Old 19th August 2011, 14:01   #1081  |  Link
leeperry
Kid for Today

BTW, shouldn't the "adaptive" deinterlacing be called "Spatial-temporal" instead? So far, from my limited testing it seems to provide much better results than Bob.
leeperry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th August 2011, 14:07   #1082  |  Link
nevcairiel
Registered Developer

Why would you assume that BOB is higher quality to begin with?
The API calls it adaptive, so i call it adaptive. :d
Old 19th August 2011, 14:22   #1083  |  Link
leeperry
Kid for Today

I'm a noob in deinterlacing, but that's what I found when googling: http://www.anandtech.com/show/1573/4
Quote:
NVIDIA's PureVideo supposedly takes adaptive per pixel de-interlacing one step further with what they call Spatial-Temporal de-interlacing. The idea here is that normal per pixel adaptive de-interlacing uses data from fields within a single frame to essentially fill in the blanks. NVIDIA's Spatial-Temporal de-interlacing can use data from fields in other frames to improve de-interlacing quality.
This said, the DVD medium totally redeems itself to my eyes, when deinterlaced in 60fps by the nvidia drivers and displayed through mVR+SmoothLevels() + perfect gamut mapping

And indeed, I believe it looks better than what YADIF can do...I don't get a single artifact, yay! DVD's aren't so bad after all
Old 19th August 2011, 14:59   #1084  |  Link
Didée

@leeperry: that articel dates 7 years back. The speech is about the "no motion --> weave fields" principle (pixel/area adaptive). Old & basic stuff, you see.

My little flickr gallery. (Yes indeed, I do have hobbies other than digital video!)
Didée is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th August 2011, 15:02   #1085  |  Link
nm

Quote:
Originally Posted by leeperry View Post
And indeed, I believe it looks better than what YADIF can do...I don't get a single artifact, yay! DVD's aren't so bad after all
I'm pretty sure most of your DVDs are telecined from film, in which case the proper output framerate is 24000/1001 fps. You'd need an IVTC filter such as TFM+TDecimate instead of yadif to do the necessary processing in software.

That said, there are DVDs with truly interlaced video, and even hybrid movies with some scenes interlaced and others telecined. Nvidia's post-processing tries to detect the cadence and pick proper filtering. It might work ok, but I guess neither output framerate nor the display refresh rate gets changed according to the content, so there's judder in 24p sequences.

Last edited by nm; 19th August 2011 at 15:05.
nm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th August 2011, 15:15   #1086  |  Link
nevcairiel
Registered Developer

There is indeed the 3:2 judder when deinterlacing IVTC material (which is far more likely on DVDs), but at least it'll be artifact free, even on mixed material (even mixed inside the same frame).
Old 19th August 2011, 15:20   #1087  |  Link
nevcairiel
Registered Developer

LAV CUVID Decoder 0.12

Code:
0.12 - 2011/08/19
- Improved response time on channel changes in DVB Viewer
- Support decoding AVC1 with NALU sizes of 3 bytes
Download: Installer (32/64-bit, CUDA 4.0+) - 32-bit (CUDA 4.0+) - 64-bit (CUDA 4.0+) -- 32-bit (Older CUDA)

The change about DVBViewer made it about instant for me (maybe a second of corrupted image until everything is fine), so i sure hope it works for you too.

Not much more to tell, so have fun!
Old 19th August 2011, 16:06   #1088  |  Link
leeperry
Kid for Today

for the new build!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Didée View Post
that article dates 7 years back. The speech is about the "no motion --> weave fields" principle (pixel/area adaptive). Old & basic stuff, you see.
yep, but they already said that adaptive was old technology back then...this said, I'll look for more recent comparisons but subjectively speaking I find the double framerate sharper than YADIF and artifacts free at that. And that leaves the CPU hands-free considering that the GPU is taking care of it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nm View Post
there are DVDs with truly interlaced video
I am indeed talking about truly interlaced 29.97 NTSC video material running at deinterlaced 59.94fps in 59.94Hz(w/ Reclock), not telecined whatsoever. I can't stand judder and man does 59.94fps deinterlaced stuff rocks

I don't bother w/ telecined stuff, especially considering that I'm from Europe and that PAL DVD's have a higher vertical resolution than NTSC....so in the rare cases where I watch DVD films, I just go 25fps@24fps in 48/96Hz w/ Reclock and there you go

Last edited by leeperry; 19th August 2011 at 18:13.
Old 19th August 2011, 16:20   #1089  |  Link
blubberbirne

Hi nevcairiel,

great work with the decoder.
Could you check why LAV CUVID only run with highest Clocks (GPU,MEM) Speeds.

Using LAV CUVID: GPU runs with highest speed

Using Power DVD: GPU runs with lower speed

Can you fix this?
blubberbirne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th August 2011, 16:23   #1090  |  Link
nevcairiel
Registered Developer

Which clocks are used is completely managed by the driver, if it decides to go into performance mode, then thats that.
You could try turning deinterlacing off, or toggling some of the other settings, to see if the driver allows it to go down then.

Last edited by nevcairiel; 19th August 2011 at 17:00.
nevcairiel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19th August 2011, 18:43   #1091  |  Link
mindbomb

Quote:
Originally Posted by mindbomb View Post
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=LAJVY9EO

this file(33mb) doesnt play in cuvid .9, but plays with dxva filters.
plays properly with .12
mindbomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th August 2011, 18:52   #1092  |  Link
RedDwarf1
RedDwarf Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by nevcairiel View Post
I know of those chats, but it sadly was really a unique opportunity because he was among the first to ever use the CUVID API, and therefor NVIDIA had a real interest in feedback. These days, its not easy to get a contact or a useful response.
That's a shame and not good news because providing support for developers does help sell nVidia cards. I purchased my nVidia card because of DGIndexNV otherwise I wouldn't of bothered and would of stuck with ATI.

Quote:
Another question - when the change takes that long, what type of channels are that? MPEG2->MPEG2, or H264->H264, or even MPEG2->H264 (or other way around)?
Or does it always take long, no matter which codec combinations?
It's only when there is no graph re-build so Mpeg2-->Mpeg2 and H.264-->H.264 takes from 14 to 21 seconds and sometimes never completes. In which case I have to force a graph rebuild or no channel using the same codec will display.

My Satellite card shows 100% quality on all these channels so it's not a quality problem. My satellite driver only shows 100% when any errors are fully recoverable, it only shows the true quality for example 72%, when there are uncorrectable errors in the stream.

The latest build 0.12 still doesn't work for me so it could be my system that is to blame. It is getting old and due a re-install because a few things don't work correctly. It's like an old shoe, almost exactly how I like it, except for the few things not working. Spending hours re-installing is time I could better spend. However, it's unavoidable and has to be done in the next few days I do have other windows installs available on my main PC but most of those are older.

Quote:
I'm not sure if that's expected behavior, but I've just spent an hour updating drivers and so...and on double framerate NTSC DVD, checking the "HQ DXVA" option either ends up in an instant BSOD on nv4disp, or a bunch of big squares and then the same BSOD

I run a 96SP 8800GS on XPSP3 BTW.

Note to myself: disable HQ DXVA
That sounds very familiar. I had a similar problem when trying to update from 197.xxx, which had been working fine, to a much more recent driver which was one or two versions back.

After doing so, I could not use any form of hardware decoding, either CUDA or DXVA. If I tried my system, which is also XP SP3, would either instantly hard lock or BSOD.

It turns out that nVidia drivers, especially on XP, don't like updates because they don't remove the previous driver remnants.

I had to uninstall them and then do use a driver cleaner to remove everything before re-installing. I now mostly works. CUDA appz work fine, DXVA works fine in MPC HC but doesn't work in LAV CUID because the video playback is partly corrupt. However there are not any BSOD's or system lockups

Screenshot showing corruption

Therefore I recommend that you uninstall and use a driver cleaner before re-installing.
RedDwarf1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th August 2011, 19:14   #1093  |  Link
SamuriHL

And dump XP for a more modern OS.
Old 19th August 2011, 19:44   #1094  |  Link
RedDwarf1
RedDwarf Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamuriHL View Post
And dump XP for a more modern OS.
This is very off topic.

You can keep *7 with it's eye candy. I will stick to the tried and trusted XP thank you. It works far better for me than *7 ever could and I have tried *7 and didn't like it one bit.
Old 19th August 2011, 19:55   #1095  |  Link
SamuriHL

It is offtopic, but, I'll leave you with this thought. It's all well and good to say you'll stick with "tried and trusted XP." But, more and more things will not work on it going forward because they'll be written with W7, and soon W8, in mind. Just because some people choose to cling to ancient OS' doesn't mean the rest of the world does. Sure it "works" but when you do encounter problems, are you going to expect developers to work on fixing them? Right now that's not such a crazy idea, but, going forward, it's really going to be a waste of developer's time to try and keep supporting a 10 year old OS. Just something to think about. I'm certainly not trying to start a debate or flame war or anything like that. If you're happy with your OS, that's all good as far as I'm concerned. But, you're likely to see less and less support going forward. It's to be expected as tech evolves.
Old 19th August 2011, 20:44   #1096  |  Link
leeperry
Kid for Today

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedDwarf1 View Post
That sounds very familiar. I had a similar problem when trying to update from 197.xxx, which had been working fine, to a much more recent driver which was one or two versions back.

After doing so, I could not use any form of hardware decoding, either CUDA or DXVA. If I tried my system, which is also XP SP3, would either instantly hard lock or BSOD.
[..] I recommend that you uninstall and use a driver cleaner before re-installing.
Well, I was one WHQL version behind and that's what happened...I spent an hour uninstalling via driver cleaners/setting my custom res again and running more tests....CUDA has always worked fine, but whatever I'd do "HQ DXVA" would always BSOD. I've learned my lesson, but I think it'd be more user-friendly to clearly state it in the hover-on bubble than in the tiny FAQ of the second OP of this thread. Or gray it down completely if XP is detected. Adaptive is artifacts-free, I don't see how it could look any better either way
Old 19th August 2011, 23:20   #1097  |  Link

Quote:
Originally Posted by blubberbirne View Post
Hi nevcairiel,

great work with the decoder.
Could you check why LAV CUVID only run with highest Clocks (GPU,MEM) Speeds.

Using LAV CUVID: GPU runs with highest speed

Using Power DVD: GPU runs with lower speed

Can you fix this?
I have just been looking into this today, after measuring the power consumption of my system.

It's not an ideal solution, but Nvidia Inspector's Multi Display Power Saver tool (right-click the "show overclocking" button to access it) allows you to force the GPU into the lower clocked P8 (Video) power state rather than going into the P0 (Full 3D) power state with CUVID.

It's a less-than-ideal tool to be using, but works for now, cutting my power consumption by 7W compared to CPU decoding.

Hopefully Nevcariel can figure out why CUVID is kicking the GPU into the Full 3D P0 power state rather than the Video P8 power state.

EDIT: Actually, this tool is awesome!
Rather than adding mpc-hc.exe to the P8 Applications list, I have set it to activate the P8 state by VPU usage, and set that to 40%. (may need to experiment with this)

With the HD videos I have tried so far, the lowest VPU usage for decoding has been around 45%, so this ensures it is not switching states in use. (that causes severe video stuttering)

However, it lets the GPU run in the extra-low-power 2D mode (P12) with less demanding videos (e.g. MP4 off the web) which has dropped my power consumption with them to 92W compared to 103W in P8. For reference, my system idles at 90W.

Last edited by 6233638; 19th August 2011 at 23:36.
6233638 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th August 2011, 23:26   #1098  |  Link
RedDwarf1
RedDwarf Fan

Quote:
Well, I was one WHQL version behind and that's what happened...I spent an hour uninstalling via driver cleaners/setting my custom res again and running more tests....CUDA has always worked fine, but whatever I'd do "HQ DXVA" would always BSOD. I've learned my lesson, but I think it'd be more user-friendly to clearly state it in the hover-on bubble than in the tiny FAQ of the second OP of this thread. Or gray it down completely if XP is detected. Adaptive is artifacts-free, I don't see how it could look any better either way
I don't think it really matters what update you do, it still has problems, however I don't know whether it is specific to XP.

I was getting BSOD's and lockups when using any form of accelerated decoding on any player or application so it was nothing to do with LAV CUVID, it was only the nVidia drivers at fault. The FAQ only mentions corruption for XP which is what I experience when using it. It doesn't cause BSOD's! If you fix your drivers it won't happen.

It is recommended that you reboot into safe mode to do the cleaning.
Old 19th August 2011, 23:41   #1099  |  Link
RedDwarf1
RedDwarf Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6233638 View Post
I have just been looking into this today, after measuring the power consumption of my system.

It's not an ideal solution, but Nvidia Inspector's Multi Display Power Saver tool (right-click the "show overclocking" button to access it) allows you to force the GPU into the lower clocked P8 (Video) power state rather than going into the P0 (Full 3D) power state with CUVID.

It's a less-than-ideal tool to be using, but works for now, cutting my power consumption by 7W compared to CPU decoding.

Hopefully Nevcariel can figure out why CUVID is kicking the GPU into the Full 3D P0 power state rather than the Video P8 power state.
A similar thing happens on my GT240. Even for SD Mpeg2 it is still the same.

I have just checked DGIndexNV and it's the same with that. With nothing else using the GPU, the clocks are all low, however by just opening DGIndexNV the clocks all jump to maximum, even with no video opened. Therefore it must be something to do with accessing CUDA that bumps the clocks to maximum. Not even doing any actual decoding affects them.
Old 19th August 2011, 23:50   #1100  |  Link

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedDwarf1 View Post
...it must be something to do with accessing CUDA that bumps the clocks to maximum. Not even doing any actual decoding affects them.
That was what I suspected. Please check my updated post above regarding the use of this tool.

It activates the P8 (Video) power state with HD videos, but for SD videos, it keeps it in the P12 (2D) state, which is just enough with my GTX 570 to let madVR perform the scaling I like (90% GPU load) dropping my power consumption a further 8W below DXVA.

92W with forced P12, MadVR/CUVID & SD video.
100W with EVR-CP/DXVA (P8) & SD/HD video.
103W with forced P8, MadVR/CUVID & HD video.
147W with standard P0 and MadVR/CUVID & SD/HD video.

Before I also started throttling my CPU, my system's power consumption was almost 180W today, so I have almost halved my power consumption in some situations. (CPU was also going to full clockspeed on playback previously)
6233638 is offline   Reply With Quote