Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > General > Audio encoding

Old 14th September 2005, 10:01   #81  |  Link
jm duchenne

VST host

Hi Johnman,

First, thank you for your work. It is really a must have tool for everyone who does multichannel sound.

I've read in the previous pages that you are working on a VST host feature ???

I make multichannel plugins (http://acousmodules.free.fr) and I wonder how it could be wonderful to use them inside Wavewizard !

Have you some beta version to test ?
jm duchenne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th September 2005, 13:15   #82  |  Link
johnman

Quote:
Originally Posted by jm duchenne
Hi Johnman,

First, thank you for your work. It is really a must have tool for everyone who does multichannel sound.

I've read in the previous pages that you are working on a VST host feature ???

I make multichannel plugins (http://acousmodules.free.fr) and I wonder how it could be wonderful to use them inside Wavewizard !

Have you some beta version to test ?
I havent got a beta with vst hosting unfortunately, but it would be indeed a wonderfull idea to use your stuff it in ww. I looked at your site and its really interesting.
Have you some indepth knowledge about making vst's ? Im having a little problem with the implementation (of the host), and i could use some tips/pointers sometimes.

(@ all Although im also busy with my study (currently i have to make a sort of a simple graphic card driver) ww is still being developed, but a little slower then before.)
Old 14th September 2005, 16:16   #83  |  Link
jm duchenne

Quote:
Have you some indepth knowledge about making vst's ?
I'm sorry, but no.

I use Synthedit or other graphical environments, so I have not to deal with the basic codes...

But perhaps could you see with Herman Seib : http://www.hermannseib.com/english/vsthost.htm
or Tobias Fleischer (Toby Bear) : http://www.tobybear.de/developers.html
They have free hosts and I'm sure that they can share some resources or tips.

Perhaps could you send me an email (sonart@free.fr) when you will have made some progress with the VST host implementation ?
Thanks !
jm duchenne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th September 2005, 10:57   #84  |  Link
johnman

Quote:
I'm sorry, but no.

I use Synthedit or other graphical environments, so I have not to deal with the basic codes...

But perhaps could you see with Herman Seib : http://www.hermannseib.com/english/vsthost.htm
or Tobias Fleischer (Toby Bear) : http://www.tobybear.de/developers.html
They have free hosts and I'm sure that they can share some resources or tips.

Perhaps could you send me an email (sonart@free.fr) when you will have made some progress with the VST host implementation ?
Thanks !
I already tried to get some info on vst on a number of ways, but so far wasnt very succesfull. I just have to find out everything myself .

And when i got a working beta host ill send you a mail. Im developing the host and ww seperate for now, so the first beta will probabely be only a hosting program. Later ill merge them together.
Old 20th September 2005, 00:49   #85  |  Link
johnman

Im experimenting a little with recoring from the soundcard and i noticed that somehow all regular samplerates can be used to record from the soundcard. Even my onboard soundcard can record at 192khz . Does this mean my soundcard can really support this samplerate natively, or is windows resampling. How can i find out what the real hardware suported samplerates are? (BTW cooledit also shows my onboard soundcard is capable of recording @ 192khz)

And here is a little screenshot of ww recording in simplemode if anyone is interested:

screenie
Old 20th September 2005, 06:52   #86  |  Link
daphy
Miles Freak

Quote:
And here is a little screenshot of ww recording in simplemode if anyone is interested
Does the enhanced mode support multichannel recordings?
-> There meanwhile lots of soundcards on the market which support multichannel input, so letīs feed them
Old 20th September 2005, 10:15   #87  |  Link
johnman

Quote:
Originally Posted by daphy
Does the enhanced mode support multichannel recordings?
-> There meanwhile lots of soundcards on the market which support multichannel input, so letīs feed them
It was already on my mind, but i think i need asio stuff for this. Normal windows recording only supports up to 2 channels (i think). I dont know exactly how hard/easy asio is to support, but if it is as poorly documented as the VST-interface (both are from steinberg if im not mistaken) it will take while .

My soundcard has an option for 6 channel recording (and i already captured 6 channel audio from powerdvd (digitally) using krystal audio not to long ago) and i intend to support this in ww . Maybe i eventually create some sort of "virtual soundcard", so the output from ANY program can be recorded digitally using ww.

But how and when the support comes, im not sure. Im trying to gather some good info on recording, but this isnt easy. The more support i get, the faster the development will go .

Last edited by johnman; 20th September 2005 at 10:42.
johnman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th September 2005, 12:01   #88  |  Link
daphy
Miles Freak

you already know this one?
Old 20th October 2005, 00:41   #89  |  Link
johnman

Unfortunately i still can not release a new version, but to the ppl that are interested in ww: Im pretty busy with other stuff, but i still i work on ww from time to time. Currently I've finished another rewrite on ww. I've totally changed the internal structure of ww. Now i just create a "sample-pipeline" @ runtime by simply connecting together several functions. What this means is that its possible to do i.e.:

upsample -> dither -> downsample -> vst -> downsample -> normalize -> amplify->channelmap->vst-> etc (not really usefull, but still possible)

Previously the "sample-pipeline" was very static, and to support unlimited vst's was kind of difficult, so thats why the rewrite.

Currently ive not made a GUI to configure it, so configuring is currently hardcoded in. But if i would make a GUI, ww will get similair functionality as bidule .

This internal stuff will only be visible in the next release by the number of vst's which can be linked together (virtual unlimited), but the change is really much bigger then that. Any function or vst can be seperately configure and used as often as needed.

Thats all for now .....

Last edited by johnman; 20th October 2005 at 00:47.
Old 20th October 2005, 02:08   #90  |  Link
ursamtl

john this sounds really promising. Take your time and I'm sure ww will be great once you get this all together.
ursamtl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th October 2005, 01:56   #91  |  Link
johnman

Quote:
Thanks !
I sended you an email, but i still havent got any responce. Could you please check your mailbox to see if they arent blocked?

Last edited by johnman; 25th October 2005 at 02:13.
Old 29th October 2005, 02:24   #92  |  Link
johnman

Here is a screenshot of ww hosting a vst. NB notice the option to save as many configurations as you want for every vst. In the VI thread an idea was mentioned to add saving options to VI. When ww is used as a host, the settings can already be saved (and exchanged if needed).

screenshot

Last edited by johnman; 29th October 2005 at 02:26.
Old 29th October 2005, 10:26   #93  |  Link
daphy
Miles Freak

Hi Johnman,

looks promising Iīm looking forward to the next release!
Old 29th October 2005, 17:39   #94  |  Link
ursamtl

Quote:
Originally Posted by daphy
Hi Johnman,

looks promising Iīm looking forward to the next release!
Me too! John, tell me, would it be possible to add realtime file playback to wavewizard or some sort of preview function? It would be useful for making adjustments. For example, I have a 5.1 soundcard/speaker setup, so when I'm using V.I in Bidule, I'm able to immediately hear the results of any slider adjustments I make. Without monitoring capability, it's very much a "hit and miss" or trial and error process. Ideally, one could preview what the output file would sound like, and then switch to something equivalent to Bidule's "offline" mode to do the actualy processing as fast as the CPU allows.

Regardless of the monitoring issue, this latest screen grab looks very good!

Regards,
Steve.
Old 30th October 2005, 11:18   #95  |  Link
johnman

Multichannel playback (and recording) will be supported . This is indeed a must have for ww if vst's are used. But i wont promise its already available in the next release .

johny
Old 30th October 2005, 13:45   #96  |  Link
ursamtl

Great news! No need for promises. You're already doing some great work!
Old 10th January 2006, 15:52   #97  |  Link
daphy
Miles Freak

Hiho Johnman,

I tried something simple with conversation batcher simply: want to convert an existant WAV to MP3 with out any changes on the source file. Hmm -> I have to let wavewizard (at least) copy the file to another place, is it possible to feed cb directly or did I missed something
Old 13th January 2006, 00:06   #98  |  Link
johnman

sry daphy, this cant be done...

when you feed wavs to ww and ww accepts it you know you will get a vallid mp3. Its a bit more reliable, but also more time consuming...

but i agree its not pretty, but what i actually want to do is to integrate cb in ww and just select output format in ww. Dont know how, but that would be a big improvent i think
Old 15th January 2006, 14:00   #99  |  Link
daphy
Miles Freak

-obsolete-

Last edited by daphy; 19th May 2006 at 18:28.
daphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th January 2006, 16:10   #100  |  Link
johnman

ty daphy