Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > General > Audio encoding

Old 25th July 2005, 12:28   #21  |  Link
KillaByte

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnman
BTW if you think your mapping(s) might be usefull for others, you might consider posting it in this thread. The mappings are just plain text in the file "mappings.ini".
Sure. The mapping for converting "LF, RF, LS, RS, C, LFE" (as used for DVD-Audio, for example) to "LF, RF, C, LFE, LS, RS" (WAV multichannel standard) is "0 1 4 5 2 3"

Code:
6->6#move#active#LF RF LS RS C LFE to LF RF C LFE LS RS
0 1 4 5 2 3
For more information about the WAVE_EX format, have a look at this link.
KillaByte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th July 2005, 12:37   #22  |  Link
johnman

Quote:
Originally Posted by KillaByte
Sure. The mapping for converting "LF, RF, LS, RS, C, LFE" (as used for DVD-Audio, for example) to "LF, RF, C, LFE, LS, RS" (WAV multichannel standard) is "0 1 4 5 2 3"

Code:
6->6#move#active#LF RF LS RS C LFE to LF RF C LFE LS RS
0 1 4 5 2 3
For more information about the WAVE_EX format, have a look at this link.
Thank you, ill add it to the next release under a different name if you dont mind:
Code:
6->6#move#active#DVD-A to multichannel wav
0 1 4 5 2 3
About that link from msdn, i already have been on that page many many times . But thx anyway.

Edit and i am happy to report ww can now read WAVE_EX files. It still cant write them, and i dont see any real reason to do so. If anyone knows a good reason, ill add that to.

Last edited by johnman; 26th July 2005 at 23:14.
johnman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th July 2005, 00:58   #23  |  Link
KillaByte

Quote:
Edit and i am happy to report ww can now read WAVE_EX files.
Groovy
Quote:
It still cant write them, and i dont see any real reason to do so. If anyone knows a good reason, ill add that to.
One reason I could think of is that with WAVE_EX multichannel files, applications don't have to guess the channel order - they can rely on the information stored inside the WAV. WavPack for example uses the channel information stored inside WAVE_EX files to decide about the channel grouping.

Another cool feature would be a metadata viewer/editor (it would be very interesting to be able to see what applications store in addtional chunks within the WAV)
Old 27th July 2005, 02:01   #24  |  Link
johnman

Quote:
Groovy
One reason I could think of is that with WAVE_EX multichannel files, applications don't have to guess the channel order - they can rely on the information stored inside the WAV. WavPack for example uses the channel information stored inside WAVE_EX files to decide about the channel grouping.
I didnt know that. But i was thinking.... if people made a wavEX out of a normal wav, ww has no clue about the channels which have been used, so im thinking to only enable conversions from wavEX -> wavEX when no channel-mappings are enabled. Or i could just set the channel mask to 0 to indicate i dont know what channels are available, but i dont know if that is allowed, and i think some programs might crash if i do that...... im still not really sure how im going to solve this..... maybe ill have a look at other programs that make wavEX and get some inspiration .

Quote:
Another cool feature would be a metadata viewer/editor (it would be very interesting to be able to see what applications store in addtional chunks within the WAV)
Well that is indeed a splendid idea. I was thinking about this before (there is a repair soundfile menu item IIRC in v0.2b), but i postponed it because my wav parser wasnt 100% according to the specifications. It accepted almost all regulars wav's, but not all. Although i havent found a wav (until i used mctoolkit) that wasnt accepted by ww, i knew some legal wavs might actually not be recognised. Since i now also have updated the wav parser, i already decided that i finaly could make some kind of editor to edit some of the data in the wavheader.

BTW in my tests i noticed almost all programs fail on some wavs that are perfectly legal according to the specifications. Even an advanced program like foobar2k makes at least one mistake when reading wavs. So doing to much crazy stuff with the chunks might not be a very wise thing to do.

Last edited by johnman; 27th July 2005 at 02:37.
Old 27th July 2005, 14:31   #25  |  Link
daphy
Miles Freak

Quote:
New application: Wavewizard (new version: v0.4b3)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

UPDATE:
now it can convert to 10 different formats. Look @ post at the bottom of the page. NB the newer version is not available at this moment, but you can take a look at the screenshot .
is now online at EFB.NU Freeware Board

Last edited by daphy; 21st May 2013 at 14:12.
daphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th July 2005, 14:55   #26  |  Link
johnman

Quote:
Originally Posted by daphy
is now online at needfulthings
Great, thanks daphy .

NB this version is a couple of days old and still cant read wavEX files.

Last edited by johnman; 27th July 2005 at 14:59.
Old 27th July 2005, 15:41   #27  |  Link
daphy
Miles Freak

@ johnmann

plz check PM
Old 27th July 2005, 16:23   #28  |  Link
johnman

Quote:
@ johnmann

plz check PM
Reply send.

---

To anyone that has trouble letting Configuration Batcher find surcode.... try runnning surcode and THEN press find... CB gets the exe path by searching for a running instance of surcode.

(and im working on an option to manual point to the executable now)
edit Done

---
And to know if the conversions are done correctly... CB creates a log which shows some basic info.

Last edited by johnman; 27th July 2005 at 19:15.
Old 27th July 2005, 19:24   #29  |  Link
tebasuna51

I can't send jobs to Conversion Batcher. How do it?
tebasuna51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th July 2005, 19:27   #30  |  Link
johnman

Quote:
Originally Posted by tebasuna51
I can't send jobs to Conversion Batcher. How do it?
I dont exactly understand what's the problem, since your description is a little vague. You cant send jobs to conversion batcher yourself. This can be done only by ww. Just add some files to ww, configure the cb settings in ww and press convert. Then the jobs should show up in cb.

Do you get an error message (please post it), or do the jobs dont show up in cb?

There is an option called: "send jobs to batcher". Have you enabled it?

Does cb start when you press the "convert" button in ww?

Last edited by johnman; 27th July 2005 at 20:08.
Old 27th July 2005, 20:30   #31  |  Link
tebasuna51

After my first post i have a error message (can't find msvcrt71.dll). I copied this file in the bin folder and after I have 5 copies of my job. It run now.

I test the aac encode and confirm you: need the aac mapping :

6->6#move#active#multichannel wav to aac
2 0 1 4 5 3
Old 27th July 2005, 20:59   #32  |  Link
johnman

Quote:
After my first post i have a error message (can't find msvcrt71.dll). I copied this file in the bin folder and after I have 5 copies of my job. It run now.

I test the aac encode and confirm you: need the aac mapping :

6->6#move#active#multichannel wav to aac
2 0 1 4 5 3

ww and cb dont need any external dll's on a normal winxp instalation. I checked the other programs which are run by cb and i found out aacenc32.exe needs MSVCR71.dll. It might be that other programs also need extra dll's.

And for the confirmation , ill add it in the next release.

---

A general hint to everyone using this program: cb does not check if the conversions have been performed succesfully. It just runs the jobs, and thats all. But normally ww only sends jobs when they really can be preformed. And since ww creates the wav files which are converted, there isnt anything that can go wrong once everything is correctly configured. But there is no check if the programs really run, so if a dll is missing you dont get an error from cb or ww.

But the file "logCB.txt" is created to give some feedback.

Last edited by johnman; 28th July 2005 at 09:42.
Old 29th July 2005, 05:11   #33  |  Link
KillaByte

Quote:
But i was thinking.... if people made a wavEX out of a normal wav, ww has no clue about the channels which have been used, so im thinking to only enable conversions from wavEX -> wavEX when no channel-mappings are enabled. Or i could just set the channel mask to 0 to indicate i dont know what channels are available, but i dont know if that is allowed, and i think some programs might crash if i do that...... im still not really sure how im going to solve this..... maybe ill have a look at other programs that make wavEX and get some inspiration .
Using a channel mask of 0 seems to be perfectly legal. If you create a WAVE_EX using interlx from the mctools package the resulting file will have such a channel mask until you put it through copysfx and assign one.

One possibility would be to use an advanced channel mapping dialog when converting to WAVE_EX where one can assign the logical channel names like C, LFE, etc. to the numbered channels of the source WAV. Wavewizard could then map them accordingly and assign the correct channel mask. When converting from WAVE_EX to WAVE_EX channel mapping could be even more comfortable since one could work exclusively with logical channel names instead of channel numbers.

Quote:
BTW in my tests i noticed almost all programs fail on some wavs that are perfectly legal according to the specifications. Even an advanced program like foobar2k makes at least one mistake when reading wavs. So doing to much crazy stuff with the chunks might not be a very wise thing to do.
Yeah - but it would be nice if one could do it anyway
Old 29th July 2005, 10:23   #34  |  Link
tebasuna51

One reason to use WAVE_EX.

First a precision: dwChannelMask don't inform about "the channel order" but the channel identity. The order is always (mulchaud doc):

1. Front Left - FL
2. Front Right - FR
3. Front Center - FC
4. Low Frequency - LF
5. Back Left - BL
6. Back Right - BR
7. Front Left of Center - FLC
8. Front Right of Center - FRC
9. Back Center - BC
10. Side Left - SL
11. Side Right - SR
12. Top Center - TC
13. Top Front Left - TFL
14. Top Front Center - TFC
15. Top Front Right - TFR
16. Top Back Left - TBL
17. Top Back Center - TBC
18. Top Back Right - TBR

Then dwChannelMask inform what channels are present.

Now a posible use:
When you demux a multichannel wav in monowaves (Stream manipulation-Mono streams, for edit purpose, for instance) your names are suffixed with ch0, ...
If you have read a WAVE_EX you can safely suffix with FL, FR, ... And if you write WAVE_EX you can identify in dwChannelMask each monowav.
After, when you need remux (Stream manipulation-Merge files) you don't need keep in mind the channel order, the dwChannelMask of each monowave inform to your soft.

But for me is enough ww can read WAVE_EX >4 GB (with "Ignore invalid wav size", I suppose) to demux big 6wav files generated with faad.

"and i am happy to report ww can now read WAVE_EX files."
I am happy also and wait for your new beta.

Thanks.
Old 29th July 2005, 11:53   #35  |  Link
johnman

Quote:
Using a channel mask of 0 seems to be perfectly legal. If you create a WAVE_EX using interlx from the mctools package the resulting file will have such a channel mask until you put it through copysfx and assign one.
Great, thats one thing less to wory about.

Quote:
One possibility would be to use an advanced channel mapping dialog when converting to WAVE_EX where one can assign the logical channel names like C, LFE, etc. to the numbered channels of the source WAV. Wavewizard could then map them accordingly and assign the correct channel mask. When converting from WAVE_EX to WAVE_EX channel mapping could be even more comfortable since one could work exclusively with logical channel names instead of channel numbers.
Good suggestion, ill use it in the next release

Quote:
Yeah - but it would be nice if one could do it anyway
I think so to so im already working on it. Maybe the next version will already have a readonly window which shows all the chunks in a wav.
Old 29th July 2005, 12:22   #36  |  Link
johnman

Quote:
One reason to use WAVE_EX.

First a precision: dwChannelMask don't inform about "the channel order" but the channel identity. The order is always (mulchaud doc):
My english isnt as good as i would like it to be. But you're absolutely correct.

Quote:
Then dwChannelMask inform what channels are present.

Now a posible use:
When you demux a multichannel wav in monowaves (Stream manipulation-Mono streams, for edit purpose, for instance) your names are suffixed with ch0, ...
If you have read a WAVE_EX you can safely suffix with FL, FR, ... And if you write WAVE_EX you can identify in dwChannelMask each monowav.
After, when you need remux (Stream manipulation-Merge files) you don't need keep in mind the channel order, the dwChannelMask of each monowave inform to your soft.

But for me is enough ww can read WAVE_EX >4 GB (with "Ignore invalid wav size", I suppose) to demux big 6wav files generated with faad.

"and i am happy to report ww can now read WAVE_EX files."
I am happy also and wait for your new beta.

Thanks.
Good idea . I already wanted to give correct naming before, not something like ch0, ch1 etc and waveEx makes that possible .

The next version may still take a couple of days. I have noticed a couple of problems which im trying to solve. The most important one i found out is that the settings for nero fends in ww are ignored by cb.

Last edited by johnman; 29th July 2005 at 12:32.
Old 1st August 2005, 00:15   #37  |  Link
johnman

Before releasing i would like to test my program a little with wavEX files and 64 bits wavs. I already used mc tools and got some files from this page.

Maybe somebody knows a program or a site to get some more files to test with?
Old 7th August 2005, 23:32   #38  |  Link
johnman

UPDATE v0.5xb

The programs which are currently supported are :

surcode cd (dts)
surcode dvd (dts)
twolame (mpeg 2)
ape (monkey's audio)
flac
wavpack
nero fends (frontend for nero aac)
MPC
lame (mp3)
Ogg
sonic foundry soft encode (ac3) new
DA's ac3enc new

The new version includes a couple of new features (and probabely new bugs since i have rewritten a lot of code (again) ):

- logging option in cb. This shows the commandlines which are used and some other interesting stuff. This can also be usefull if someone wants to make his own program for sending jobs to cb.

- supports now the ac3enc.dll from Dark Avenger which should be better then the old one. ( DA for your help)

- support for sonic foundry ac3 encoder

- support for non PCM and wav ex.

- if a channelmask is available in the wave ex and a wav is splitted to monostreams, it now gives the correct channelnames.

- an option to automaticaly import new channelmapping. If you add a fille "mappingsNEW.ini" to the ww dir it will be be imported and renamed to "mappingsIMPORTED.ini". The new ww comes with a mappingsNEW.ini in the dir so you can combine it with the one you have. Remember, ONLY the mappings file can be used in different version, DONT copy the preferences from old to new version.

- option to avoid clipping

- fast switching between the different config dialogs is now possible by using F2,F3,F4 and escape (for cancel).

- Option to create a tempfile when normalising. This is usefull when resampling, since the result will be saved and the second pass it uses the tempfile to normalise. But this option might create huges files.... so becaurefull when using it. And when you are doing a "normalize list" with tempfile creation, all filles will first be converted to a tempfile, so make sure you got enought diskspace when using it !

- some other other stuff i dont remember.

If daphy's site is online again ill upload a new version.

Current issues:

- support for sonic foundry is available, but not reliable. Somehow sonic doesnt read the settings correct from the .ini file which is created.

- in v0.5b there was a problem with the detection of surcode dvd. Thx to daphy this has been fixed in v0.52b.

-in v0.52b there was a problem when converting big files. Thx to tebasuna51 this problem is fixed. (look in the forum for details)

-there is a bug in sonic foundry softencode which will disable LFE when it is set to On en it is enabled when it is set to Off. Thx to tebasuna51 this problem got a workaround by adding an option in CB. (look in this forum for details)

- The "save output" in preferences should not be unchecked. I had removed this option, but when going back to an older backup version of my prog, i forgot to remove it again. When this option is disabled, the program might not work properly. (removed in v0.53b)

- Not every setting gives correct results when using da's ac3enc, and sometimes it doesnt run 100% stable.

- When cb is used on winme and a dos program is canceled by pressing stop, winme asks if it should terminate the program. You should press "Yes" manualy. If the window is hidden, you dont see this message, which means you have to check "show programs" to see it. I think i can fix this, but i doubt if this is really usefull since i dont think many people are using winme anyway.

-when resampling a file with more then 100 channels the memory consumptions becomes very significant (500MB+) when resampling a file with more then 500 channels ww might crash.

Things im considering to implement (in random order)
- vst-hosting
- replaygain
- settings the channelmask manually (for wav-ex files)
- show/edit the chunks inside a wav (showing part is done)
- decent documentation
- dynamic amplification
- equalizer
- decoding for all formats which cb can create
- cue sheets

Changelog

from v0.53 -> v0.54
- changed the option invert LFE in cb to invert specific settings. Now 5 settings will be inverted if this is checked

- Added chunk browser. This also works on avi's

- changed the location from where programlist.txt is downloaded in cb.

- some other minor fixes.

Last edited by johnman; 31st August 2005 at 16:53.
Old 8th August 2005, 01:55   #39  |  Link
tebasuna51

Thanks for your job.
I wait for daphy's site to test it.
Old 9th August 2005, 15:23   #40  |  Link
Mug Funky
interlace this!

Quote:
If anyone is interested, i have played a little with vst's and i succesfully called some vst functions from several vst's. So wavewizard might become a VST host sometime in the near future.
cool. there's a big need for free VST hosts. "bidule" is a nice one, but you have to register that and all... i like the graphedit style interface though.