Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > General > Audio encoding

Old 31st May 2005, 22:09   #1  |  Link
johnman

Wavewizard v0.54b

UPDATE:
old link doesnt work the newest release.
New Download link
Look @ this post for info on the most recent release.
An interesting thread about ssrc, resampling, using twopass and stuff like that
Some general info about ww in this post
------

I made a little program which can do some cool stuf:
-upsampling
-downsampling
-dithering
-channel mixing
-channel swapping
-sampel conversion
-normalising (file/list)
and some other stuff which you may see for yourself

I uploaded it on daphy's site (http://www.needfulthings.webhop.org) where everyone can download it.

If you have any comments, or feature request, post them in this thread. This program is far from finished. New features will be added, and manny bugs have to be fixed.

Currently only standard wav is supported.

It is the first release, and since my english isnt very good, there is no manual. If you want to make one..... contact me.

If you have a question about the program, ask it in this thread so others might benefit from it.

Also i would like to thank Daphy for hosting my program

John man

Last edited by johnman; 21st September 2006 at 17:35.
johnman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st June 2005, 06:52   #2  |  Link
daphy
Miles Freak

download Wavewizard EFB.NU Freeware Board

Last edited by daphy; 21st May 2013 at 14:09. Reason: dead links
daphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st June 2005, 12:06   #3  |  Link
daphy
Miles Freak

-dead link-

Last edited by daphy; 21st May 2013 at 14:10. Reason: dead link
daphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st June 2005, 14:50   #4  |  Link
Kurtnoise
Swallowed in the Sea

It sounds great...I'll try it asap.
Kurtnoise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st June 2005, 15:35   #5  |  Link
johnman

Since im bored im using this old post to describe some of the options of wavewizard (=ww).

Well lets start with the channel mapping feature. ww makes it possible to go from a x channel wav to a y channel wav by "simply" creating a matrix. This can be done on 2 different but very similair ways:
moving and mixing.

Channel moving will just move the channels from one "location" to an other "location".
To illustrate this here is an example (NB the first channel is numbered as 0).
Lets say you have a normal stereo file which you want to convert to a 4 channel wav. The 2 channel wav is an interleaved stream like this:

L1R1 L2R2 L3R3 L4R4 L5R5
This means the wav has first a sample for the left channel (ch0) and then a sample for the right channel (ch1) and then the second sample for the left channel etc....

If you now make a 2 to 4 channel mapping like this:

And fill it in like this:

It wil convert a 2 channel file to 4 channels by placing channel 0 at channel 0 and 2 of the new file, and channel 1 goes to channel 1 and 3 of the new file. So what you get is this:

L1R1L1R1 L2R2L2R2 L3R3L3R3

If you enable this mapping, and insert 2 channel files, all 2 channel files will be converted to 4 channel files. All other files with a different number of channels are unaffected (unless you enable also other mappings)

Now lets say you dont to just move the channels, but you want to add a third channel by mixing left and right. Well for this you would need to use an other type of mapping: mix

Make a new 2->3 channel mapping like this:

and configure it like this:

Channel 0 and 1 remain the same, but channel 2 is created by taking the sum of 0.5* ch0 and 0.5*ch1. So this will create a 3 channel file with the third channel a mix from the original left and right channel.

When you leave a channel empty when configuring a mapping, it will be filled with silence. You can also use negative values when configuring a mix mapping.

Whenever you have enabled a channel mapping from i.e. 2->3 channels, all 2 channel files in the list are considered as 3 channel files. So If you want to use cb to convert it to an other format, you must make sure that format supports 3 channels. But dont wory to much about this, since ww will give an error if the formats doesnt support the selected configuration. Since the file is processed as a 3 channel file, this also means the resampling takes longer since it has to resample an extra channel.

If you have created a couple of mappings which you think are usefull, you can save the "mappings.ini" file to a save place. This is a normal textfile which contains the data for all the mappings. The graphical interface only allows the creation of mappings for 1..10 -> 1..10 channels. But if you wanted a channelmapping for more channels there is an other option. Manually edit the mappings.ini to suit your needs. This way you can go from 1..1000->1..1000 channels. They are accepted by ww, but cant be viewed or edited graphicaly.

If you want to merge an old mapping with a new one, you must close ww, add a new mappings file with the name "mappingsNEW.ini" to the directory and start up ww. If ww has read the file it will rename it to mappingsIMPORTED.ini.

When you are merging files, the file order will be the same as the order in the list. If you want to change the order, you can simply select a file (or multiple) and drag them up or down to change the order.

Well that about all i can say about channelmapping.
If im bored again ill describe the other features (below this post).

----

Edit a new day has arrived.... And this time i'll describe the preferences.

- The first option is to select the output directory. Well nothing to say about that, except that whenever temp files are used (see normalization) the output directory selected will also be used to store the temp files.

- Process delay
When you add a file with the name "somefileDELAY 1500.wav"
ww will add a delay of 1500 msec to the file when this option is enabled. When using negative values it wil cut away samples from the begining.

- Maintain length
If you want to add a delay but dont want to change the length of a file check this option. It will add silence or remove samples from the end of the file depending on if you added a negative or positive delay

- 32bit float CE compatible
For some reason somebody had the bright idea to make files with a 32 bit int wav header and then to fill it with floats. Since there is no way to tell from the header if its a 32bit int or float, ww can never be sure if its dealing with a 32 bit int or float. If you enable this option it will analyse the wav data to see what kind of file it is. Since this is just guessing, you should only enable this option when your conversion comes out wrong. If you disable this option all 32 bit wav pcm files will be treated as 32 bit int wav files.

- ignore size in header
If you add a wav file with an invallid size in the header, the file will not be recognized by ww. To ignore the size in the header enable this option. If you do this all data after the data chunk will be used as sampledata. When you create files bigger then 4gb ww will set the size (in the wavheader) to 0 since the wav header cant store the real size for such large files. So when you want to work such large files you should enable this option.

- enable channelmapping
This will enable or disable all channel mappings. This same option is also in the channelmapping configuration dialog.

- Stream manipulation
* Mono streams
will convert all mutlichannel files to monostreams

* Stitch files
Will stitch all file together in the order as they appear in the main dialog. All files must have the same sampletype, samplerate and number of channels. It is possible to use a channelmaping, convert the sampletype or rate to let all the files have the same properties. If you add i.e. 5 stereo files into the list and stich them together, you get a single stereo file which has the length off all the files combined.

* Merge files
This option will merge all files in the main dialog to a single multichannel file with the length of the longest file, and with the number of channels equal to the total number of channels from all files in the dialog. So selecting merge on 6 mono files will create a single 6 channel file with the length of the longest file in the list.

- Output format
Not really much to say about. Select wavePCM for maximum compatibility.

- Convert sampletype

- Convert samplerate

- Sound level control
There are 3 different ways to influence the sound level:

* amplify
Will increase (or decrease) the volume on all files with the number of dB entered in the dB box.

* Normalize
Will first convert find the highest peak, and adjust the volume so the peak will get the desired level. Normalising can be done by file,list or whenever clipping is detected.

* Normalize with temp file
This wil function exactly the same as the normalizing without temp file. But because the result from the first pass is saved (in 64 bit resolution) it only has to convert the sample type in the second pass. This can greatly increase the speed when normalizing and resampling. One exeception to this is the normalise when clipping. Since ww cant know in advance which file will clip, nromalizing with temp file + on clipping will always do two passes. If after the first pass no clipping is detected, it will convert the temp file normaly to the desired output format. If clipping is detected, it will lower the volume.

* dithering
Will dither the output file. If you dont know what it is, try google. It not something i can explain in 2 sentences . Currently only the dithering amplitude can be changed. A dithering amp of 1 means it will add diher with a max peak of +/- 1 LSB to the file. So for 8 bit int this is 1/128. Dithering will only be applied when
a) sampels are converted to floating point and
b) if the output format is of int type. This is because dithering doesnt make any sence on floatig point.

Well thats all for now .

Last edited by johnman; 8th November 2006 at 14:19.
Old 1st June 2005, 18:14   #6  |  Link
ursamtl

John, have you considered implementing ssrc's two-pass mode? My understanding is that it is designed to prevent such clipping by attenuating the level after conversion to prevent potential clipping.
ursamtl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st June 2005, 18:27   #7  |  Link
johnman

Quote:
Originally Posted by ursamtl
John, have you considered implementing ssrc's two-pass mode? My understanding is that it is designed to prevent such clipping by attenuating the level after conversion to prevent potential clipping.
I had such a feature, but since the peak is shown, and since there is a normalisation option (which obviously prevents clipping) i thought the feature was not really be usefull. But i can always re-insert it. Was the clipping caused by upsampling/downsampling? What was the peak of the original file?
Old 1st June 2005, 18:54   #8  |  Link
ursamtl

The original file had a peak level of 0.97723. Converting it to 48kHz resulted in a peak level of 1.02103. Providing the normalization occurs before the peaks are clipped, it should be ok.
ursamtl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st June 2005, 19:06   #9  |  Link
johnman

Quote:
Originally Posted by ursamtl
Providing the normalization occurs before the peaks are clipped, it should be ok.
And since this is the case, it IS ok .

Has anyone tried the channel mapping/mixing features.... i wonder if its clear how they should be used.

EDIT:
Has anyone tried the program at all

Last edited by johnman; 1st June 2005 at 23:33.
Old 21st July 2005, 15:42   #10  |  Link
johnman

UPDATE v0.43b

It has been a while since the last release, but now there is a new version. This one can convert to 9 different formats. The only limitations are the limitations of each format itself. So it is i.e. possible to create a 100 channel ogg if you want. Because of the way wavewizard works, it can now also convert i.e. 10 stereo files to 10 dts quadraphonic files using surcode without the need for making 6-channel wavs first. And this can be done without editing a textfile or changing a commandline. Just configure wavewizard once and let it work on all the files you have added to the program.

The conversion to the other formats are done with the help of external programs. But normaly you dont have to edit a single commandline, or even look at those dos programs running. Everything is done from the GUI.

Although its not very hard to use, the usage is a little different compared to other programs. So im again hoping someone wants to make a manual for this program. If you want to do this, just send me a PM. Ill email the program so you can start immediately .

EDIT: Someone responded to my request so no manual writer is currently needed.

Wavewizard now also supports wav's > 4gb and there have been a couple of minor bugfixes.

The programs which are currently supported are :

surcode cd (dts)
surcode dvd (dts)
twolame (mpeg 2)
ape (monkey's audio)
flac
wavpack
nero fends (frontend for nero aac)
MPC
lame (mp3)
Ogg

And as a bonus, all freely distributable programs (everything except surcode) can be downloaded from within the program, so no need to search and download the correct version with a browser.

Current issues:
- i tested this version and it does not run on winme. So i dont think it will run on win98 either. The good news is i already fixed the problem, and the next version should run normaly on winme (and possibly win98).

- The settings for nero fends in ww are completely ignored by cb.

- Mpc settings dont work correctly

- Athough ww accepts mpeg audio files (like mp3) it can absolutely NOT decode them.

Last edited by johnman; 4th August 2005 at 13:17.
Old 21st July 2005, 15:58   #11  |  Link
Zyphon

Sounds like a neat app, I will have to test it when when I get back from my holiday.

Michael.
Zyphon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd July 2005, 21:07   #12  |  Link
johnman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zyphon
Sounds like a neat app, I will have to test it when when I get back from my holiday.
Great, i hope you give some feedback when you tried it.

Something else.....
I added a screenshot but it still has the text "Attachments Pending Approval" above it. Do i need to notify a mod or something, or do they automaticaly see when a file is waiting for approval?

(EDIT maybe ww will soon also have support for the improved version of ac3enc.dll. So this might be the 11th supported "program")
Old 22nd July 2005, 22:00   #13  |  Link
Zyphon

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnman
(EDIT maybe ww will soon also have support for the improved version of ac3enc.dll. So this might be the 11th supported "program")
This sounds good, so will it be able to make a nice ac3 file from a wav file then?

Good luck with the updates.

Michael.
Old 22nd July 2005, 22:04   #14  |  Link
johnman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zyphon
This sounds good, so will it be able to make a nice ac3 file from a wav file then?
Yep (and maybe the 12th app supported will be a commercial ac3 encoder)

But currently im looking into vst support.
Old 22nd July 2005, 22:27   #15  |  Link
Zyphon

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnman
Yep (and maybe the 12th app supported will be a commercial ac3 encoder)

But currently im looking into vst support.
Cool can't wait to see this version.

Michael.
Old 23rd July 2005, 18:14   #16  |  Link
tebasuna51

This is a verified channelmapping for ac3:
6->6#move#inactive#ac3 order for SoftEncode or ac3enc
0 2 1 4 5 3

And this other for aacenc32.exe, not necesary for Nero plugin or Faac:
6->6#move#active#aac order for aacenc32.exe (Not for Nero plugin or Faac)
2 0 1 4 5 3
tebasuna51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd July 2005, 21:12   #17  |  Link
johnman

Quote:
Originally Posted by tebasuna51
This is a verified channelmapping for ac3:
6->6#move#inactive#ac3 order for SoftEncode or ac3enc
0 2 1 4 5 3

And this other for aacenc32.exe, not necesary for Nero plugin or Faac:
6->6#move#active#aac order for aacenc32.exe (Not for Nero plugin or Faac)
2 0 1 4 5 3

thanks for the mappings, ill add them in the next release

One question about the 2nd mapping, my program supports nero Nero Frontends (fends), how is the mapping needed for this program in relation to the second mapping you gave. (im not really into aac encoding )

Last edited by johnman; 27th July 2005 at 15:13.
Old 24th July 2005, 03:54   #18  |  Link
tebasuna51

Sorry, I don't know Nero Frontends.
I test Belight (BeSweet, interface bsn.dll, and aac.dll, aacenc32.dll from Nero) and don't need channelmapping, the normal wav order (L,R,C,LFE,SL,SR) make a correct aac.
tebasuna51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th July 2005, 23:15   #19  |  Link
KillaByte

Dude, your program rocks

I thought there would be no way to fix the channel order of my ripped DVD-A files with free tools - until I found your program. Can't wait to see the new version.

One thing that might be useful to add in a future version is WAVE_EX support. I fiddled around a bit with the Multi-Channel ToolKit and wavewizard was unable to read the resulting files.

Keep up the good work
KillaByte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th July 2005, 00:31   #20  |  Link
johnman

Quote:
Originally Posted by KillaByte
Dude, your program rocks

I thought there would be no way to fix the channel order of my ripped DVD-A files with free tools - until I found your program. Can't wait to see the new version.

One thing that might be useful to add in a future version is WAVE_EX support. I fiddled around a bit with the Multi-Channel ToolKit and wavewizard was unable to read the resulting files.

Keep up the good work
Thanks for the compliment

I know i should support WAVE_EX, and i looked at it before (look @ the disabled option in the preferences) but when i was busy with this format i didnt have any vallid wave_ex files to test with, and since then i kind of forgotten it. But since it is called wavewizard it is high on my priority list again. And when im working on it, ill make sure my program will swallow everything mctools can produce .

BTW if you think your mapping(s) might be usefull for others, you might consider posting it in this thread. The mappings are just plain text in the file "mappings.ini".

---

If anyone is interested, i have played a little with vst's and i succesfully called some vst functions from several vst's. So wavewizard might become a VST host sometime in the near future.

Last edited by johnman; 25th July 2005 at 00:44.