Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > (HD) DVD, Blu-ray & (S)VCD > DVD burning

Old 12th January 2003, 16:28   #1  |  Link
djcontra

DVD-R Movies always freezing at the last few minutes in standalone

Hello,
I recently purchased a Pioneer A05 about a month ago and have been burning on Verbatim discs for a while without incident, but recently I purchased a 50 pack of Ritek dvd-r's and have had problems where after I burn the movie successfully, i go to watch it in my standalone (koss kd230) and right at the last few minutes of a movie it will get pixelated and then freeze up. I thought at first it was because I was reauthoring the movies in Maestro, but i did a iso read then write of Blade Runner using dvd-decrypter and it has the same problem. It would be easy for me to point the finger at the Ritek Media, but I also upgraded my firmware on my a05 recently to the newest available, and I'm wondering if that might be causing the problems as well? Is it safe to revert back to an older firmware?
Also, I burned all these movies at 1x just to play it safe, but no luck.

I remember seeing a thread about a similar problem but i can't find it now, so i'm wondering if anyone has any suggestions for me. I'm using windows xp with service pack 1 if that helps as well.
djcontra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th January 2003, 17:12   #2  |  Link
int_53185

i had the same problem with a new 100 stack of riteks...appears to be a bad batch..if u look at the stack...the edges are very rough...and the dye towards the outer edge is uneven and bubbled...just did signs...used all but a few mb's...picture broke up at the last minute of the movie...reburned the same vob's using a better ritek...played well to the end...it's been my observation that the bulk packs tend to be of lower quality than say the 25 pack's...perhaps because your paying less for the quantity...they tend to throw in a few rejects in the bulk packs...ive never had a prblem with 25 packs of ritek...look carefully at the outer edges of the dye before you burn...if your going to use the full capacity of the disc...choose one without the edge defects...that way u'll get no skipping...save the edge distorted discs for smaller burns...
int_53185 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th January 2003, 17:23   #3  |  Link
djcontra

you could be right about the defects near the end. I did see one disc that had spots in the metal around the outer ring, but i never used that disc thankfully. I'm not entirely sure that this is causing my problem however because when i reencoded jurassic park to fit on a single dvd-r it never burned to the edge of the disc because it turned out to be quite small after and it has the same problem.
Does anyone have a link to some older firmware i can try on my a05?

thanks
Old 19th January 2003, 09:22   #4  |  Link
falco533

I had the same problem on a AO4. Freezing at the end of movie. I changed media and had no problems.
falco533 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th January 2003, 17:22   #5  |  Link
djcontra

I believe it was just my burning software.
I tried Gear and now everything is working perfectly, even at 2x speed with the riteks.
Old 20th January 2003, 22:00   #6  |  Link
EcchiNut

I have the A05 burner, and my Ritek work fine. ive gotten two 10 packs of Ritek 4x, from 2 different distributers (one from ebay and the other from hypermicro). One had a silver top, the other with a printable purple top. (both have the RitekG04 manufacturers code) I have since consumed them all, and all work perfectly fine, at the 4x write speed, and playback on over 5 different standalone players. Even burned a few on Nero and they work fine. Ive been using the 1.00 firmware still, since im hestitant to move to 1.2x, considering i havent seen any "positive" feedback on actually making the switch.
EcchiNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th January 2003, 22:27   #7  |  Link
djcontra

Quote:
Originally posted by EcchiNut
Ive been using the 1.00 firmware still, since im hestitant to move to 1.2x, considering i havent seen any "positive" feedback on actually making the switch.
I feel part of my problem was upgrading the firmware as well.
All my dvd's worked fine with the original firmware, and I really should have left it that way. It just sucks a bit that I upgraded the firmware just as I had purchased the Riteks so the problem could really be with either or.

Word of advice, don't upgrade your firmware unless you need to =)

*djcontra slaps himself for not reading up on 1.2X beforehand =)*
Old 21st January 2003, 05:33   #8  |  Link
vljenewein

K Hypermedia

Don't EVER buy K Hypermedia 4.7GB DVD -R discs !! I tried them and burn at 1X only. take nearly 2 1/2 hours to burn, indicating mucho promemo. *S* and movies halt, skip, freeze near the middle to end, or middle to outer parts of the DVD tracks. I never had this problem with TDK or Maxell. Same movie burned on good Maxel DVD -RW played GREAT. no skips, etc. movie on that KHypermedia, well, it's something for coaseters BEFORE you even write with them. In fact, I'm not writing with anymore of them, and using them as sliders under furniture. Why wear out my DVD burner *105 4X * with inferrior stuff.

Having problems with some of your burns? Think you might have done smometihng wrong in NERO, or you IFOEdit, or REMPEG2 sofware along the way.. think again if you use cheap media. At $1.40 each they turned out to be the most expensive media I ever bought.

A little pass along for the next guy wanting to burn a decent copy.

"Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill"
vljenewein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd January 2003, 20:59   #9  |  Link
CiViC

i guess i'd have to agree...i burned a few street racing dvd's to this media, and it worked fine in the beginning. a few months later i pop it into my trusty 'ol pioneer 525 standalone and 20mins into each disc pixelations occur and 1-2mins later it locks up.
CiViC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd January 2003, 21:31   #10  |  Link
flanman

I have had similar issues. Using Ritek G03 and Pioneer A04 firmware 1.31. This only happens if I burn the DVD at 2x. If I burn at 1 x it works fine?? Burning with both Nero, and Gear Pro.
flanman is offline   Reply With Quote