Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Capturing and Editing Video > Avisynth Development
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 14th April 2018, 15:35   #241  |  Link
poisondeathray

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtamimi View Post

*edit*
I have to add that I am only using a script to transcode the Blu-Ray video to x264...In other words, this loss due to conversion, does it matter in my case since I am converting from lossless to lossy?!
Then you don't need avfs

avfs is to make a "fake" virtual AVI, that allows you to bridge avisynth to other programs which do not accept avs scripts, or avoiding the alternative of using large lossless intermediate files . A common use is some other programs (e.g. NLE's) might not be compatible, and some of them do not accept "YV12" by the avfs method, hence the need for RGB

x264 can be compile with avs support (direct avisynth input) , or ffmpeg libx264 can accept avs directly

Quote:
*edit2*
I just made a test encode, and Media Info is showing this "Color space : YUV", what does this mean? Didn't we convert to something else?!
You started with YUV, the final format is YUV. You don't need avfs
poisondeathray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th April 2018, 16:46   #242  |  Link
mtamimi

Quote:
Originally Posted by poisondeathray View Post
Then you don't need avfs

avfs is to make a "fake" virtual AVI, that allows you to bridge avisynth to other programs which do not accept avs scripts, or avoiding the alternative of using large lossless intermediate files . A common use is some other programs (e.g. NLE's) might not be compatible, and some of them do not accept "YV12" by the avfs method, hence the need for RGB

x264 can be compile with avs support (direct avisynth input) , or ffmpeg libx264 can accept avs directly

You started with YUV, the final format is YUV. You don't need avfs
the gui that I am using does not support avs scripts, that's why I am using avfs...is there a different way to use avs scripts with apps that does not support avisynth w/o the need to convert to rgb?

Also, since I did convert to rgb, why the output is yuv?

Thnx
mtamimi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th April 2018, 16:50   #243  |  Link
poisondeathray

Quote:
the gui that I am using does not support avs scripts, that's why I am using avfs...is there a different way to use avs scripts with apps that does not support avisynth w/o the need to convert to rgb?
Then consider using another GUI, or another method. There are many GUI's that support direct , proper YUV without that intermediate step

This is avoidable loss, and faster without avfs or extraneous conversions

Quote:
Also, since I did convert to rgb, why the output is yuv?
Because you're encoding YUV . That RGB step is unnecessary. Slower to encode and process, and you incur some quality loss converting back and forth

YUV => RGB => YUV

x264 support RGB encoding too, but it's not commonly used and compression efficiency is low. YUV 4:2:0 is the most common
Old 14th April 2018, 22:39   #244  |  Link
mtamimi

Quote:
Then consider using another GUI, or another method. There are many GUI's that support direct , proper YUV without that intermediate step
Can you suggest some? So that I can test and choose among a list of suggestions...

Thnx
Old 15th April 2018, 00:09   #245  |  Link
poisondeathray

Quote:
Can you suggest some? So that I can test and choose among a list of suggestions...

Thnx
I'm not up to date on the GUI's , but some popular ones might include megui, staxrip, ripbot264, hybrid, simple x244 launcher,... probably dozens more
Old 15th April 2018, 20:53   #246  |  Link
mtamimi

Quote:
I'm not up to date on the GUI's , but some popular ones might include megui, staxrip, ripbot264, hybrid, simple x244 launcher,... probably dozens more
Old 20th December 2018, 19:42   #247  |  Link
Dogway

Does anyone know if this works with DaVinci Resolve or Nuke? Mounting works because I can open the mounted avi (even in avspmod with directshowsource() ) but it refuses to load in said aplications. Everything is x64 on my end. Thanks.

Last edited by Dogway; 20th December 2018 at 19:49.
Dogway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th December 2018, 20:55   #248  |  Link
poisondeathray

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogway View Post
Does anyone know if this works with DaVinci Resolve or Nuke? Mounting works because I can open the mounted avi (even in avspmod with directshowsource() ) but it refuses to load in said aplications. Everything is x64 on my end. Thanks.
Commandline version does , for only for certain pixel formats (at least it works in vapoursynth, it should for avs+ )

For example , Resolve expects 10bit RGB and won't accept 8bit
Old 21st December 2018, 14:01   #249  |  Link
Dogway

Thanks poisondeathray, worked flawlessly. In Nuke doesn't but I doubt I will ever need it for Nuke though.
Dogway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th July 2023, 12:24   #250  |  Link
rgr

1. Is AVFS a dead project already?
2. Is it normal that after adding "convertbits(10)" the script is no longer supported by AVFS?
rgr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th July 2023, 14:00   #251  |  Link
Myrsloik
Professional Code Monkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgr View Post
1. Is AVFS a dead project already?
2. Is it normal that after adding "convertbits(10)" the script is no longer supported by AVFS?
1. Nope, maintained by me. Updates binaries with avs+ support are distributed with vapoursynth portable.

2. "No longer supported". This is where you post the error message. Some formats exist as 10 bit but not all.