Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Video Encoding > MPEG-4 Encoder GUIs

Closed Thread

Old 31st July 2005, 04:40   #401  |  Link
azsd
6502 fan

Progress window have no "High" priority item.
Old 31st July 2005, 07:57   #402  |  Link
Backwoods
ReMember

I tried this twice with the latest build and when I encode an Xvid from this script:

Code:
LoadPlugin("C:\Program Files\AviSynth 2.5\yea\DGDecode.dll")
LoadPlugin("C:\Program Files\AviSynth 2.5\yea\Decomb521.dll")
Mpeg2Source("00.d2v")
Telecide(order=1,guide=1)
Decimate(cycle=5)
CropBottom(8)
Lanczos4Resize(960,540)
The resulting file is corrupt. The video is roughly 1hr 30min and when I do a quick test (like one minute to three minutes) the video is fine. The resulting file is roughly 7gigs and does not play. Opening that file in VirtualDub results in 20min being recovered then nothing.

Xvid options: Q3, everything else not touched.
File Type: AVI
Old 31st July 2005, 11:53   #403  |  Link
Doom9
clueless n00b

@haubrija: you got this crash because you had an avc profile with rdo activated, and I changed the subq and me assignment code when I fixed the turbo bug. I used to increase subq by one directly in the GUI, now I'm doing it in the commandline generator.

@Backwoods: that almost sounds as if avi isn't up to that, or mencoder.

Quote:
Progress window have no "High" priority item.
Indeed, I forgot about that. It'll be in the next release.
Old 31st July 2005, 20:14   #404  |  Link
HookedOnTV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doom9
@Backwoods: that almost sounds as if avi isn't up to that, or mencoder.
I'm thinking it is mencoder as I am not getting any good HD encodes out of MeGUI(XviD) where the resulting file size is larger than 4GB.
Old 1st August 2005, 14:43   #405  |  Link
MeteorRain
結城有紀

d9: could you add a button to hide meGUI & status window into systray? XD
Old 1st August 2005, 14:51   #406  |  Link
Doom9
clueless n00b

that is kinda problematic. I have an app that does that when you press the X button.. with the effect that the X button becomes useless to close the application as you cannot catch button clicks outside if the client area (client area = anything below the title bar and inside the external frame border)
Old 1st August 2005, 15:27   #407  |  Link
stax76

Quote:
that is kinda problematic. I have an app that does that when you press the X button.. with the effect that the X button becomes useless to close the application as you cannot catch button clicks outside if the client area (client area = anything below the title bar and inside the external frame border)
Spy++ tells you the involved messages which you can trap either overwriting the controls WndProc (note that Form derives from Control) or before the message get posted to the control by setting a message filter (Application.AddMessageFilter).
Old 1st August 2005, 16:16   #408  |  Link
Doom9
clueless n00b

@stax: But is there a difference in between pressing X, minimize and maximize? I've already asked in the microsoft newsgroup and the answers I got pointed to only one catchable event, and that's simply not good enough.
Old 1st August 2005, 17:36   #409  |  Link
stax76

never had to use it but yes, there should be a difference:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/de..._nchittest.asp

which group did you ask? Most active appear to be:

comp.os.ms-windows.programmer.win32

do you know how to use Spy++? It's qite simple.
Old 1st August 2005, 18:32   #410  |  Link
Doom9
clueless n00b

I asked in a .NET group obviously the thing is though, look at those events.. NC... is interesting here. You can catch non client area left, right middle and X button click (I figure that's a combination), and the position. So you'd need to figure out the coordinates of the X button (and then enter the people who use no standard DPI to give me a further headache). If somebody wants to submit a patch they're welcome, but this is just nothing that interests me.
Old 1st August 2005, 18:59   #411  |  Link
stax76

I played a little bit around and found that you can do something like this:

Code:
Protected Overrides Sub WndProc(ByRef m As Message)
    If m.Msg = WM_SYSCOMMAND AndAlso m.WParam = CType(SC_CLOSE, IntPtr) Then
        Exit Sub
    End If

MyBase.WndProc(m)
End Sub
There is a handy application called ApiViewer 2004 that knows all the Win32 declarations and even generates the code in various languages.

Last edited by stax76; 1st August 2005 at 19:04.
Old 1st August 2005, 19:06   #412  |  Link
Doom9
clueless n00b

but what does that? Basically the problem is not so much catching the X and minimizing instead of closing, but knowing when to close (Alt-F4 or File - Exit).. they all fire OnClose where you cannot differentate between the X button and the other means to close.
Old 1st August 2005, 19:46   #413  |  Link
stax76

Maybe I can help you if you want to find a solution for this issue but I would need to know what exactly you want to achieve. I must admit I'm not too familiar with MeGUI, I made only some test encodes.
Old 1st August 2005, 19:52   #414  |  Link
Doom9
clueless n00b

This isn't tied to MeGUI. Basically an app that when pressing the X button minimizes to the system tray, and when pressing alt-f4 or file-exit it exits.
Old 1st August 2005, 20:09   #415  |  Link
stax76

Alt + F4 could be handled explicit:

Code:
Protected Overrides Sub WndProc(ByRef m As Message)
    If m.Msg = WM.SYSCOMMAND AndAlso m.WParam = CType(SC.CLOSE, IntPtr) Then
        MoveToTray()
        Exit Sub
    End If

MyBase.WndProc(m)
End Sub

Private Sub MainForm_KeyDown(ByVal sender As Object, ByVal e As KeyEventArgs) Handles MyBase.KeyDown
    If e.KeyData = (Keys.Alt Or Keys.F4) Then
        Close()
    End If
End Sub
Old 3rd August 2005, 09:15   #416  |  Link
boombastic

I've got a standalone divx player which can only playback AVI encoded with the xvid DXN HT PAL profile, if i use unrestricted it stops about every two minutes because of bitrate spikes i presume
I've got some questions:

1)is there a way with MeGui to assure that i can playback the file ?

2)What is "HC AC coefficients" option ?

3)I'd like to get a target size: if i use Automated 2 pass where can i set the desired size?
Old 3rd August 2005, 09:45   #417  |  Link
Doom9
clueless n00b

Quote:
is there a way with MeGui to assure that i can playback the file ?
Don't use QPel, don't use GMC, and use maximum 1 B-frame. I'm not sure on the packed bitstream, that (but other things as well) depend on which player you have. Unfortunately you cannot limit bitrate buffers in mencoder, and thus MeGUI so if the buffers cause problems for you, then I'm afraid you have to stick to the VfW or use the lavc codec where you can control max bitrate and buffer size.

Quote:
if i use Automated 2 pass where can i set the desired size?
You need to use the auto-mode. You don't even have to set the encoding mode with that, just configure the rest of the options.
Old 3rd August 2005, 14:10   #418  |  Link
boombastic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doom9
I'm afraid you have to stick to the VfW or use the lavc codec where you can control max bitrate and buffer size.
What are vfw and lavc codec?If my player plays divx/xvid can also play avi made with them?Where can i find them?In ffdshow package?
Old 3rd August 2005, 15:01   #419  |  Link
Doom9
clueless n00b

lavc is shorthand for libavcodec mpeg-4 asp codec.. it's used when you select ASP from the codec dropdown.
VfW is Video for Window (searching would've helped).. you use it if you encode XviD in VirtualDub or any app based on that (Gordian Knot, AutoGK, DVX), and other VfW based apps like avs2avi.
Old 3rd August 2005, 17:22   #420  |  Link
haubrija

Doom9,

I was setting up an encode last night and think I found a bug. I had the Show Commandline switch enabled. I set up the x264 encode for 3 Reference Frames but failed to see and resulting change in the commandline. If I'm not mistaken there was no switch for ref frames added and definately nothing changed when I would switch the number of ref frames in the dialog box (i.e. I saw no changes when switching from 3 to 4 refs). I hope I'm not showing my ignorance here of not understanding how one setting impacts another. Other than the default settings, here's how I have my encode set up:

2 Pyramid B Frames
RDO
Weighted Prediction
All Macroblock Options.

Let me know if you need any more info.
Closed Thread