Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Announcements and Chat > General Discussion
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 28th February 2021, 21:04   #1  |  Link
tkmops

How to decrease 'blue light' from my monitor?

How to decrease 'blue light' from my monitor?

Win 7

Is there a way using one(or more?) of the following to decrease the 'blue-light' coming from my monitor(and not use a downloaded 3rd party program):

1) Win 7...I've read that Win 10 has a 'night light' function, but not Win 7. Does anyone know of a way to do the same thing that 'night light' does, but on Win7?

2) Monitor:LG IPS LED 23MP57HQ-P...I've played with the 'color temp' and 'SixColor', but they destroy the 'just right' settings for brightness, contrast, gamma and saturation I have set up in my video card.

3) Nvidia Card:GeForce 9600 GT-using YCbCr444(seems to look better than the RGB setting)

I know I could buy a 'blue-light' film or a plastic frame that 'hangs' on my monitor...I'm just trying to find if there's a way to do this without spending money.

Ideas, anyone?

Thanks!
tkmops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th February 2021, 21:33   #2  |  Link
butterw2

It can likely be done in the monitor, in the driver, or in a third party app. Win10 isn't doing any magic vs third party apps.

However you do it, reducing blue light will have an impact on how things look on your RGB screen (ex: grey becomes pink).
butterw2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st March 2021, 01:17   #3  |  Link
StainlessS
HeartlessS Usurer

Maybe of no use, [from, Voy Tunable Eye Glasses [adjustable focus] ]
https://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=182271

Features, from homesite.
Quote:
Tunable lens.
Large field of view.
Nano Precision.
Aspherical lens.
Anti reflection.
UV blocker.
Anti Scratch.
Blue blocker. # [blue-ish light emitted from monitor - bad for eyes]
Anti Fingerprint.
I presume that other specs have blue light filter.

From: SOLVED:- XP Screen color inversion:- https://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=171949

Quote:
Anyone know how to get screen color inversion on XP ?
I sometimes use computer for extended periods and especially when using reading glasses, find myself 'snow blind' for several days. It would be nice if I could change to eg white text on black in web pages and compiler IDE at the flick of a switch.

I've tried the accessories Utility Manager stuff but that is rubbish, and when undone can leave everything 'out of whack', ie fonts stuck at wrong size and weird borders, ended up re-installing my m/c last time I tried that.

I know that W7 has facility to do this (dont need advice to change OS), but XP lacks anything suitable as far as I know.
You can change GammaRamp, but that is not really what I want.
On W7 there is a (EDIT: Shareware) util called PowerStrip but that only works for some video cards.
Quote:
Originally Posted by StainlessS View Post
GMJCZP, thanks for the links, downloaded pretty much anything I found and was working my way through them.
Had almost given up hope when I found a web page with a reg hack which had only been tried on W7.
I tried the hack without much expectation, and it did not work, as an afterthough I tried a reboot and again
retried a hacked version of the Nirsoft CPP code (link posted above), to my surprise, IT WORKED !
So, I'm gonna see if I can knock up a mod of the AutoIt TinyBrightnesscontrol to invert GammaRamp, should be able to get it to work.

Anyways, here is the fix

UnlockGammaRange.reg
Code:
Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\ICM]
"GdiIcmGammaRange"=dword:00000100

From this link here: http://jonls.dk/2010/09/windows-gamma-adjustments/
which is an 'aside page' of the page: http://jonls.dk/redshift/
Any version of the Red-Shift [blue light blocker] would need to use above reg editor script to enable changing gamma, its normally locked so that it cannot be fooled around with by joke/malicious software.

EDIT: Or maybe your video card Control Panel preferences thing can allow to set some kind of profile that can be switched and manually
set to mess with color.
Also, google search for
Code:
"monitor"  Gamma Red Shift blue light
you might find something.
EDIT: Above search does seem to produce a good few hits that might assist.

"Some infinities are bigger than other infinities", but how many of them are infinitely bigger ???

Last edited by StainlessS; 1st March 2021 at 01:31.
StainlessS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st March 2021, 07:11   #4  |  Link
FranceBB
Broadcast Encoder

I don't actually change the Windows settings nor use any third party application myself. I know that it's not ideal, 'cause blue light is dangerous for the eyes, but I feel like those apps and settings that block this kind of light just destroy the way things appear on the screen and I want my monitor to display things correctly all the time, not some warm yellowish crap. The only thing I do is turn the dark theme on, especially on my phone, and keep the light on in the room as there's nothing worse than a completely dark room and an HDR monitor shooting 700 nits towards your eyes, but that's pretty much it.
Will my eyesight get worse with time? Probably yes, but I'm thankful enough to still be able to see without glasses.
FranceBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st March 2021, 16:07   #5  |  Link
StainlessS
HeartlessS Usurer

Quote:
but I'm thankful enough to still be able to see without glasses.
Yeah at the moment. Just wait till you're bout 44 Y.O. +- 2 years, 98% population needs readers [of those not needing specs prior to 44].

EDIT: Just got a pair of tinted readers [EDIT: this morning] in PoundLand (for £1.00 would you believe), and they do assist,
think I was due a bout of "Snow Blindness" which I get from time to time. Using them right now, and less strain.
EDIT: A lot less strain.

"Some infinities are bigger than other infinities", but how many of them are infinitely bigger ???

Last edited by StainlessS; 1st March 2021 at 18:07.
Old 1st March 2021, 22:06   #6  |  Link
FranceBB
Broadcast Encoder

Quote:
Yeah at the moment. Just wait till you're bout 44 Y.O. +- 2 years,
I'm not really looking forward to get to that age.
Back pain, neck inflammation and possibly becoming short sighted? No thanks xD

Quote:
Just got a pair of tinted readers [EDIT: this morning] in PoundLand (for £1.00 would you believe), and they do assist,
think I was due a bout of "Snow Blindness" which I get from time to time. Using them right now, and a lot less strain.
I'm glad they helped. I don't know if it's true or not but my grandpa used to say "cheap glasses means cheap lens" (well not in English, he didn't speak English, but you get the point), but maybe it was something of his era and nowadays it's just so easy to produce glasses that they're cheap yet good? I don't know. I guess I'll find out in... Uhm... 2038... I wonder if Doom 9 is still gonna be here... Probably yes, along with x271 and Avisynth+ 8.7.3 xD
FranceBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st March 2021, 22:43   #7  |  Link
StainlessS
HeartlessS Usurer

£1.00 readers are not gonna last too long, the arms tend to snap off, and plastic lens easily scuffs [after a couple weeks] using eg tissue paper
to clean [need soft lens specific cloth].
But generally, not too bad, reasonable quality optical plastics.
A few years back, there was a massive glut of specs in the pound shops, I would use for a few weeks and then chuck in bin and use a new pair,
Many at the time still had original price tags, maybe £19.99 from Boots the chemist, glass lens, metal frame.
But supply ran dry after about 9 months, and the reduced price ones changed to plastic, wish I'de not binned the other ones that I'de purchased in
batches of about 6 or 8 at a time.
The tinted ones I'm using right now are a lot less straining than my prescription ones, but I was having probs, as I said I thought Snow Blindness was imminent.

Quote:
neck inflammation
I get [EDIT: understand] the back pain, but dont know what that neck inflammation is [maybe I got that to look forward to].

EDIT:
Quote:
massive glut of specs
It was joked at the time that a couple of lorry loads of specs had been 'knocked off' [stolen], because there were so many of them
everywhere [maybe it was true].

Last edited by StainlessS; 1st March 2021 at 22:49.
Old 1st March 2021, 22:47   #8  |  Link
wonkey_monkey
Formerly davidh*****

Have you tried this?

https://www.onecomputerguy.com/windo...rate_color-htm
Old 3rd March 2021, 04:05   #9  |  Link
tkmops

Quote:
Originally Posted by wonkey_monkey View Post
Yes, I've tried the 'Display Color Calibration' function', but since it's a 'global' color change, it affects any video/TV/movies that I watch on my PC. I've got my Nvidia card set up for perfect brightness, contrast, color saturation, and gamma. The reducing 'blue light' that I'm talking about is 'invisible'...reducing it will not alter what I see.
tkmops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd March 2021, 08:28   #10  |  Link
Asmodian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkmops View Post
The reducing 'blue light' that I'm talking about is 'invisible'...reducing it will not alter what I see.
If you can see blue light reducing it is going to alter what you see.

There is no such thing as a magic blue light reduction that does not make the image look yellow. That is physically impossible.

The only thing software can do is reduce the value of 'B' in RGB.
Old 3rd March 2021, 14:58   #11  |  Link
StainlessS
HeartlessS Usurer

Here a couple of excellent pages on Blue Light hazzards. [EDIT: also read the comments]

https://www.health.harvard.edu/blog/...-2019040816365

https://www.health.harvard.edu/stayi...as-a-dark-side

For me, the prob is just bright light [any color] in dark-ish surround, where I get "Snow Blind" after repeated long exposure [to bright monitor].
The blue light of [hi-power] white LED is very definitely visible, you cant help but see it. Recent COB (Chip On Board) style LED lamps tend
to have a yellow colored filter, making for a much less harsh and warm color appearance. [and of course a color shift]

EDIT: COB LED [what I described as a yellow colored filter is actually a phosphor layer]:-
https://www.rs-online.com/designspark/what-are-cob-leds

Quote:
Chip-on-Board (COB) LEDs are high-power white LED arrays. They are sometimes nicknamed “fried eggs” (when they are not lit) because of their yellow phosphor circle on a white board.

COBs are made up of multiple chips/dies, usually with a minimum of 9 on a board. They are bright for their size, making them an alternative option to using lots of individual LEDs. They also cut out the need for soldering multiple times; it is just the one package.

The chips used in COBs are LEDs without their package. They are more compact and can be packed densely next to each other. These blue pumps are then coated with a phosphor layer (the yolk) which converts the blue light into the white light output. You cannot see the individual chips when lit - they look like a single uniform light source. This circular part is also referred to as a light emitting surface (LES) and comes in a range of different diameters.
EDIT: CREE.inc [now WolfSpeed] makes the LED devices in the classiest high power torches [I want one].
http://www.ledflashlights.com/flashl...-mean/2013/09/

EDIT: Here is the one I want, but was Out-Of-Stock last time I tried to buy.
https://www.wilko.com/en-uk/wilko-5w...orch/p/0488722

EDIT: From rs-online (RS-Components), many high powered white LED seem to be "Cool White".
https://www.rs-online.com/designspar...ng-a-white-led

Last edited by StainlessS; 4th March 2021 at 02:49.