Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Capturing and Editing Video > Avisynth Development
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 19th December 2016, 12:23   #1  |  Link
may24

Avisynth Memory allocation

Hi all,

can someone share me a few insights on how Avisynth (not the plus version) handles memory allocation.

For instance: If I write a .avs script hat opens two 1080p video files (AVC) and each one gets its own variable, I suspect avisynth will allocate memory for both making it accessible via the variables.
Also I assume that this references will be available due script has finished execution.
Or is there kind of an "deconstructor" to explicitly free memory ?

Now, what if I re-assign an new Video file to the same variable ? Will the "old" allocation be dropped and a new be made ?

I've read that Plugins (such as external decoders: ffmpeg-source, lsmash ect) do their own memory management.

So in the end it seems quite impossible to guess how much memory your script will allocate until you open it and check with a task manager ... and even that seems to be fairly correct as tailing functions, scripts or plugins will add to this number making it quite unpredictable (think of de-interlacers).

Or do I miss anything here ?
Can you give me an insight on how avs memory management works
may24 is offline   Reply With Quote