Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Hardware & Software > Software players

Old 12th November 2017, 11:52   #4561  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

And which practical benefits for end users would either of those 2 changes bring, foozoor?
madshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th November 2017, 15:47   #4562  |  Link
Shiandow

I guess you could attempt to use the new DirectX renderer on an operating system that doesn't support Directshow?
Shiandow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th November 2017, 15:50   #4563  |  Link
aufkrawall

Async Compute might be able to improve performance with GCN GPUs, there is a pull request for a new Vulkan renderer of mpv which supports it.
However, there is no proof yet for actual performance benefits over DX11. I suspect it will be faster at some point than DX11 with GCN, question is just if it really will make a difference for advanced video shaders.

If I remember correctly, mpv Windows dev Rossi told me that there is an interop possible for D3D11VA -> Vulkan. So really no need for DX12, it's a completely redundant API.
aufkrawall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th November 2017, 17:08   #4564  |  Link
huhn

did anyone even read what DX12 or Async Compute even does?
huhn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th November 2017, 17:20   #4565  |  Link
aufkrawall

There is no optimal GPU utilization without Async Compute, simple as that.
There are always utilization bubbles when the shaders process tasks serialized. Question is just how big they are.
Old 12th November 2017, 17:25   #4566  |  Link
huhn

and this is a video renderer.
it's pretty much about shaders. the benifit of async compute is most likely nothing at all because "only" the shaders matter no combination of other GPU parts.
Old 12th November 2017, 17:30   #4567  |  Link
aufkrawall

It doesn't matter that only shaders are involved for the fact that utilization isn't optimal. GPU is btw. also busy with other stuff like presentation, HW decoding etc.
Old 12th November 2017, 18:44   #4568  |  Link
Shiandow

I wouldn't expect any miracles from processing shaders asynchronously when 99% of the time MPDN is just rendering shaders at (hopefully) full speed, with little opportunity to do anything else in the meantime.

Unless you're telling me the GPU can process two shaders faster concurrently than it can process them sequentially, but that seems really weird.
Old 12th November 2017, 18:59   #4569  |  Link
huhn

yeah very unlikely it will do anything useful for video rendering.
Old 12th November 2017, 19:05   #4570  |  Link
aufkrawall

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiandow View Post
Unless you're telling me the GPU can process two shaders faster concurrently than it can process them sequentially, but that seems really weird.
Why not? That's also true for running tasks on the CPU with hyperthreading.
Games can profit by it the most (when they can utilize enough threads), but also other applications with constant high load like video encoding or ray-/pathtracing profit by it.
Old 12th November 2017, 20:12   #4571  |  Link
huhn

you can't compare a CPU multi threading with a GPU multithreading. a GPU has thousand of cores you can blindly assume they can multi thread fine.

the most profit from vulkan DX12 is the CPU which is a no issue here.

async compute is not made to utilized shaders better it is made to use shaders, rasterizer and other GPU part at the same time. while for video playback we are mostly using the shaders (correct me if i'm wrong here Shiandow).

if the shaders get better utilisation because the rasterizer are not standing in there way you can argue it is increasing shader utilisation but i don't see this happening for such a program.
Old 12th November 2017, 20:22   #4572  |  Link
Shiandow

Quote:
Originally Posted by aufkrawall View Post
Why not? That's also true for running tasks on the CPU with hyperthreading.
Games can profit by it the most (when they can utilize enough threads), but also other applications with constant high load like video encoding or ray-/pathtracing profit by it.
Why wouldn't it just run the same shader twice on the left and right halves of the image?
Old 12th November 2017, 21:06   #4573  |  Link
aufkrawall

Quote:
Why wouldn't it just run the same shader twice on the left and right halves of the image?
Wouldn't that be quite an amount of work to adjust the shaders to work accordingly?
New Vulkan revision is not even mainlined yet, I guess more optimizations will come later.
Old 12th November 2017, 21:21   #4574  |  Link
Shiandow

Quote:
Originally Posted by aufkrawall View Post
Wouldn't that be quite an amount of work to adjust the shaders to work accordingly?
New Vulkan revision is not even mainlined yet, I guess more optimizations will come later.
No, by definition pixel shaders can be evaluated on any part of the image in any order. This is what allows GPUs to parallelize the process immensely.

In practice the GPU probably process small clusters of pixels in an orderly fashion, but the exact cluster shape and order depends on the GPU.
Old 26th November 2017, 13:35   #4575  |  Link
TheFireRed

I have a question: how can I leave this time code reader always turned on? Or I can only set the status bar to read this information?

TheFireRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th November 2017, 14:03   #4576  |  Link
Shiandow

I would actually recommend enabling the status bar as it wouldn't be in front of the video that way.

The alternative would be to make some small modifications to the extensions code. Nothing too difficult really, but it takes some work to set things up so you can recompile the extensions.
Old 5th December 2017, 10:03   #4577  |  Link
mringis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zachs View Post
Hmm I'll investigate. I'm no longer getting the error but I did at some stage.

Have you guys tried uninstalling MPDN fully and reinstalling? Make sure you backup your settings before you do that. And try doing a windows restart after reinstalling.
Is there update about this bug?

Today i Installes it in my new computer and this problem still exit. i can't play any video.

My previous computer uses AMD GPU (RX 460) and the new one use RX 560. Is this bug only happen to new mid tier AMD GPU???

Code:
TITLE: MediaPlayerDotNet Error
------------------------------

===================================

Specified argument was out of the range of valid values. (MediaPlayerDotNet)

Error Type = System.ArgumentOutOfRangeException
Error Message = Specified argument was out of the range of valid values.
Error Source = MediaPlayerDotNet
Error Site = Mpdn.IScaler C(Mpdn.IScaler)
Error occurred =    at a.C.C(IScaler )
   at a.C.B(IScaler )
   at Mpdn.D3D9VideoRenderer.VideoRenderer.ag()
   at Mpdn.D3D9VideoRenderer.VideoRenderer.aG()
   at Mpdn.D3D9VideoRenderer.VideoRenderer.e(Boolean )
   at Mpdn.D3D9VideoRenderer.VideoRenderer.A(String , FrameBufferInputFormat , Int32 , Int32 , Int32 , Int32 , InterlaceFlags , Double )
   at B.M.A(String , FrameBufferInputFormat , Int32 , Int32 , YuvColorimetric , InterlaceFlags , PointF )
   at B.M.A(IMedia )
   at MediaPlayerDotNet.MainForm.A(IMedia , Boolean , Boolean , Boolean )
   at MediaPlayerDotNet.MainForm.OpenMedia(IMedia , Boolean , Boolean , Boolean , Boolean )
   at MediaPlayerDotNet.MainForm.OpenMedia(String , Boolean , Boolean , Boolean , Boolean )
   at MediaPlayerDotNet.MainForm.h.A()
   at a.S.A()
OS Version = Microsoft Windows NT 6.3.9600.0
Total Physical Memory = 15,9 GB
Available Physical Memory = 10,1 GB
Date Time = 05/12/2017 15:56:33
User Name = ARIF-HUMAS\Arif
Application Startup Path = C:\Program Files\MPDN
Application Executable Path = C:\Program Files\MPDN\MediaPlayerDotNet.exe
CurrentDirectory = H:\HUT 60
SystemDirectory = C:\Windows\system32
Ran As Admin = False
HasShutdownStarted = False
MachineName = ARIF-HUMAS
ProcessorCount = 12
LogicalDrives = C:\, D:\, E:\, F:\, G:\, H:\, I:\, J:\, K:\, L:\, M:\, N:\, O:\
EnvironmentVariables = COMPUTERNAME = ARIF-HUMAS; USERPROFILE = C:\Users\Arif; HOMEPATH = \Users\Arif; LOCALAPPDATA = C:\Users\Arif\AppData\Local; PSModulePath = C:\Program Files\WindowsPowerShell\Modules;C:\Windows\system32\WindowsPowerShell\v1.0\Modules; PROCESSOR_ARCHITECTURE = AMD64; CommonProgramW6432 = C:\Program Files\Common Files; CommonProgramFiles(x86) = C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files; ProgramFiles(x86) = C:\Program Files (x86); PROCESSOR_LEVEL = 23; CM2012DIR = C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Autodesk Shared\Materials\; LOGONSERVER = \\ARIF-HUMAS; PATHEXT = .COM;.EXE;.BAT;.CMD;.VBS;.VBE;.JS;.JSE;.WSF;.WSH;.MSC; HOMEDRIVE = C:; SystemRoot = C:\Windows; SESSIONNAME = Console; ALLUSERSPROFILE = C:\ProgramData; PUBLIC = C:\Users\Public; FPS_BROWSER_APP_PROFILE_STRING = Internet Explorer; APPDATA = C:\Users\Arif\AppData\Roaming; Path = C:\Windows\system32;C:\Windows;C:\Windows\System32\Wbem;C:\Windows\System32\WindowsPowerShell\v1.0\;C:\Program Files (x86)\Autodesk\Backburner\;C:\Program Files\Common Files\Autodesk Shared\;C:\Users\Arif\AppData\Local\Microsoft\WindowsApps;; USERNAME = Arif; OneDrive = C:\Users\Arif\OneDrive; TEMP = C:\Users\Arif\AppData\Local\Temp; CommonProgramFiles = C:\Program Files\Common Files; OS = Windows_NT; USERDOMAIN_ROAMINGPROFILE = ARIF-HUMAS; PROCESSOR_IDENTIFIER = AMD64 Family 23 Model 1 Stepping 1, AuthenticAMD; ComSpec = C:\Windows\system32\cmd.exe; USERDOMAIN = ARIF-HUMAS; SystemDrive = C:; FPS_BROWSER_USER_PROFILE_STRING = Default; ProgramFiles = C:\Program Files; ILBDIR = C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Autodesk Shared\Materials\; NUMBER_OF_PROCESSORS = 12; ILMDIR = C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Autodesk Shared\Materials\; TMP = C:\Users\Arif\AppData\Local\Temp; ProgramData = C:\ProgramData; ProgramW6432 = C:\Program Files; ADSK_3DSMAX_x64_2012 = C:\Program Files\Autodesk\3ds Max 2012\; PROCESSOR_REVISION = 0101; windir = C:\Windows
RuntimeVersion = 4.0.30319.42000
Thread Count = 62
Handle Count = 5030
VM Size = 9,6 GB
Peak VM Size = 9,6 GB
Working Set Size = 287,1 MB
Max Working Set Size = 1,3 MB
Min Working Set Size = 200 KB
Modules = MediaPlayerDotNet.exe, ntdll.dll, MSCOREE.DLL, KERNEL32.dll, KERNELBASE.dll, ADVAPI32.dll, msvcrt.dll, sechost.dll, RPCRT4.dll, mscoreei.dll, SHLWAPI.dll, combase.dll, ucrtbase.dll, bcryptPrimitives.dll, GDI32.dll, gdi32full.dll, msvcp_win.dll, USER32.dll, win32u.dll, IMM32.DLL, kernel.appcore.dll, VERSION.dll, clr.dll, MSVCR120_CLR0400.dll, mscorlib.ni.dll, ole32.dll, uxtheme.dll, System.ni.dll, CRYPTSP.dll, rsaenh.dll, bcrypt.dll, CRYPTBASE.dll, System.Core.ni.dll, MediaPlayerDotNet.ni.exe, System.Drawing.ni.dll, System.Windows.Forms.ni.dll, Mpdn.Core.ni.dll, System.Configuration.ni.dll, System.Xml.ni.dll, comctl32.dll, dwmapi.dll, MSCTF.dll, OLEAUT32.dll, gdiplus.dll, DWrite.dll, WindowsCodecs.dll, CommandLine.ni.dll, clrjit.dll, shell32.dll, cfgmgr32.dll, shcore.dll, windows.storage.dll, powrprof.dll, profapi.dll, YAXLib.ni.dll, System.Xml.Linq.ni.dll, clbcatq.dll, dataexchange.dll, d3d11.dll, dcomp.dll, dxgi.dll, twinapi.appcore.dll, VideoFrameServicesNative.dll, SharpDX.Direct3D9.ni.dll, SharpDX.ni.dll, d3d9.dll, aticfx64.dll, WINMM.dll, winmmbase.dll, atiu9p64.dll, atiumd64.dll, atiumd6a.dll, SharpDX.DXGI.ni.dll, TextInputFramework.dll, CoreMessaging.dll, CoreUIComponents.dll, ntmarta.dll, wintypes.dll, usermgrcli.dll, D3D9NativeServices.dll, SETUPAPI.dll, WTSAPI32.dll, AVRT.dll, dxva2.dll, opencl.dll, DEVOBJ.dll, WINSTA.dll, SharpDX.Direct3D11.ni.dll, atiuxp64.dll, atidxx64.dll, amdocl64.dll, OPENGL32.dll, GLU32.dll, atiadlxx.DLL, PSAPI.DLL, PROPSYS.dll, USERENV.dll, WINTRUST.dll, MSASN1.dll, CRYPT32.dll, atig6txx.dll, amdocl12cl64.dll, dbghelp.dll, Dx11Font.dll, FW1FontWrapper.dll, MediaInfoDotNet.ni.dll, DirectShowLib-2005.ni.dll, MediaInfo.dll, quartz.dll, CSScriptLibrary.ni.dll, WindowsBase.ni.dll, PresentationNative_v0400.dll, jscript.dll, amsi.dll, MpOav.dll, PresentationCore.ni.dll, explorerframe.dll, rasapi32.dll, rasman.dll, rtutils.dll, WS2_32.dll, mswsock.dll, winhttp.dll, LAVSplitter.ax, libbluray.dll, avutil-lav-55.dll, avformat-lav-57.dll, avcodec-lav-57.dll, Secur32.dll, avresample-lav-3.dll, SSPICLI.DLL, IPHLPAPI.DLL, NSI.dll, dhcpcsvc6.DLL, dhcpcsvc.DLL, DNSAPI.dll, qcap.dll, sxs.dll, LAVAudio.ax, WINNSI.DLL, devenum.dll, URLMon.DLL, iertutil.dll, MMDevAPI.DLL, wdmaud.drv, ksuser.dll, rasadhlp.dll, fwpuclnt.dll, AUDIOSES.DLL, msacm32.drv, MSACM32.dll, midimap.dll, DDRAW.dll, DCIMAN32.dll, DSOUND.DLL, AudioTransformFilter.ax, XySubFilter.dll, WINSPOOL.DRV, WININET.dll, LAVVideo.ax, swscale-lav-4.dll, avfilter-lav-6.dll, CallbackFilter.ax, NullRendererFilter.ax, Microsoft.ExceptionMessageBox.ni.dll, Microsoft.VisualBasic.ni.dll, diasymreader.dll

Program Location:

at a.C.C(IScaler )
   at a.C.B(IScaler )
   at Mpdn.D3D9VideoRenderer.VideoRenderer.ag()
   at Mpdn.D3D9VideoRenderer.VideoRenderer.aG()
   at Mpdn.D3D9VideoRenderer.VideoRenderer.e(Boolean )
   at Mpdn.D3D9VideoRenderer.VideoRenderer.A(String , FrameBufferInputFormat , Int32 , Int32 , Int32 , Int32 , InterlaceFlags , Double )
   at B.M.A(String , FrameBufferInputFormat , Int32 , Int32 , YuvColorimetric , InterlaceFlags , PointF )
   at B.M.A(IMedia )
   at MediaPlayerDotNet.MainForm.A(IMedia , Boolean , Boolean , Boolean )
   at MediaPlayerDotNet.MainForm.OpenMedia(IMedia , Boolean , Boolean , Boolean , Boolean )
   at MediaPlayerDotNet.MainForm.OpenMedia(String , Boolean , Boolean , Boolean , Boolean )
   at MediaPlayerDotNet.MainForm.h.A()
   at a.S.A()
mringis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th December 2017, 10:17   #4578  |  Link
huhn

try an older build.
Old 5th December 2017, 10:35   #4579  |  Link
Shiandow

Quote:
Originally Posted by mringis View Post
Is there update about this bug?

Today i Installes it in my new computer and this problem still exit. i can't play any video.

My previous computer uses AMD GPU (RX 460) and the new one use RX 560. Is this bug only happen to new mid tier AMD GPU???
It looks like later versions of the .Net Runtime (in particular versions >= 4.7.1) might not have that bug, but this is not yet entirely certain. It's not related to the GPU by the way, it's purely .Net / Windows that's causing it.
Old 5th December 2017, 13:55   #4580  |  Link
mringis

Quote:
It looks like later versions of the .Net Runtime (in particular versions >= 4.7.1) might not have that bug, but this is not yet entirely certain. It's not related to the GPU by the way, it's purely .Net / Windows that's causing it.
You are right. After update .Net Runtime to version 4.7.1, i don't need to downgrade MDPN.

Thank You sir
mringis is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
direct3d, mpdn, nnedi3, opencl, reclock