Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Hardware & Software > Software players

Old 23rd December 2017, 17:20   #47921  |  Link
SamuriHL

Will definitely try it out. I've only got one disc I can play with right now and it has read errors (gotta love UHD) but I am able to play it directly from the disc. It's not super critical for me to get this working...more an academic thing as I'm still on a 1080p plasma. But it's fun to see what can be done with these things. Getting it stable would be nuts LOL
Old 23rd December 2017, 17:40   #47922  |  Link
el Filou

4K HDR converted and scaled by madVR on my GT60 set at maximum brightness is still pretty amazing.
I plan to keep enjoying my plasma at least until OLEDs that can do 2160/12-bit/120 Hz/RGB on HDMI 2.1 are released
Old 23rd December 2017, 17:49   #47923  |  Link
SamuriHL

I've been wanting to wait, myself, for various reasons but I may have screwed myself on this deal. Because I have a large library of 3D blu-rays, and actually enjoy the experience, moving to 4K is problematic at best. A 2016 LG OLED would work, but, as you mention, HDMI 2.1 would be highly useful. ARGH! LOL Not sure what my ultimate solution will be but right now I have no money for anything so it's all going to have to wait.

The quality I got off the UHD disc was pretty good even compared to the native blu-ray. It just kept dropping frames so I'm going to play around with the settings and see what it looks like once I get it stable. That'll probably be this afternoon when I get to that.
Old 23rd December 2017, 18:53   #47924  |  Link
SamuriHL

I was wrong on my rendering times. Even with the tweaks suggested I'm getting 50-60ms and it's dropping frames like a klutz. I'm not sure I'll get this stable on that machine. I'm honestly not sure why either. I went down to bicubic150 even though it's a 23fps movie. I'm going to keep messing with it but I don't think my machine likes this very much. LOL

EDIT:

Ok, moron, RCA and anti-ringing is probably NOT helpful to rendering times on downscaling! LMAO! I'm down into the 20's now that I turned that off. I've got NGU AA medium for chroma and lanczos4 for LUMA. Working MUCHHHHHHHHHH better now LMAO!

EDIT2:

There we go. Rendering down to average 15 or so. Turned error diffusion 2 back on, set luma to jinc. Looks damn good, too! Very nice!

Last edited by SamuriHL; 23rd December 2017 at 19:16.
SamuriHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd December 2017, 19:15   #47925  |  Link
Razoola

Quote:
Originally Posted by el Filou View Post
4K HDR converted and scaled by madVR on my GT60 set at maximum brightness is still pretty amazing.
I plan to keep enjoying my plasma at least until OLEDs that can do 2160/12-bit/120 Hz/RGB on HDMI 2.1 are released
I dont think OLEDs have much lifespam left, they gonna be overtaken with micro LED. Aparently Samsung is gonna show a 150 inch one at CES in a few weeks.
Razoola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd December 2017, 19:20   #47926  |  Link
SamuriHL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razoola View Post
I dont think OLEDs have much lifespam left, they gonna be overtaken with micro LED. Aparently Samsung is gonna show a 150 inch one at CES in a few weeks.
Fascinating. That's something I need to look into then. I was under the impression OLED rivaled my plasma screen.
Old 23rd December 2017, 20:44   #47927  |  Link
Asmodian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamuriHL View Post
RCA and anti-ringing is probably NOT helpful to rendering times on downscaling!
RCA is very hard on 4K. To use even medium quality with 4K (streaming 4K needs it) I have to turn almost everything else down with an overclocked Titan X (Pascal).

Still, it is worth it since Jinc chroma upscaling is fine and YouTube content does not have fine chroma details anyway.
Old 23rd December 2017, 21:24   #47928  |  Link
SamuriHL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asmodian View Post
RCA is very hard on 4K. To use even medium quality with 4K (streaming 4K needs it) I have to turn almost everything else down with an overclocked Titan X (Pascal).

Still, it is worth it since Jinc chroma upscaling is fine and YouTube content does not have fine chroma details anyway.
Yea that was nuts. I need a faster machine for sure. I just don't have the money to build it right now. When I got the 1060 I hadn't really considered up/down scaling 4K content as I'm still on a 1080p plasma. But it's interesting nonetheless. Guess we'll have to wait til better hardware is out before we can crank things up for 4K. LOL
Old 24th December 2017, 02:49   #47929  |  Link
ryrynz

Quote:
Fascinating. That's something I need to look into then. I was under the impression OLED rivaled my plasma screen.
It doesn't rival it, it surpasses it in every possible area. OLED will improve and isn't going anywhere. Micro LED is still LED technology and has the same limitations. Not applicable to MadVR.
ryrynz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th December 2017, 15:31   #47930  |  Link
mclingo

after 5 more pc hangs in two days i'm going to give my nvidia 1050 one more go, is the 385.28 version the latest driver where everything works ok?, wont be gaming so not interested in any gaming based issues.
mclingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th December 2017, 15:52   #47931  |  Link
mclingo

hi, those with nvidia card getting hours between frame drops / repeats, can you tell me exactly what I'm doing wrong or point me to full instructions how to setup MADVR with NVIDIA card. I've set custom res in MADVR and it seems to make no difference at all.

see attached screen dump of CONTROL-J
Attached Images

Old 24th December 2017, 16:03   #47932  |  Link
mclingo

think i've got it, i changed my horizontal timing in MADVR to 1276 and I now have near perfect 23,976 ! - now to test 3D MVC

whats the best rendering I can expect for an NVIDIA 1050 (non ti version) - same as my RX550 or can I push it further?
Old 24th December 2017, 16:53   #47933  |  Link
mclingo

3D is a not go, worked once now doesnt work at all, any tricks to getting 3D MVC working with NVIDIA card?
Old 24th December 2017, 17:06   #47934  |  Link
HillieSan

@mclingo
How much Watts is your Power Supply Unit (PSU)? Just to be sure that the AMD RX gets enough power.
HillieSan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th December 2017, 17:44   #47935  |  Link
mclingo

Quote:
Originally Posted by HillieSan View Post
@mclingo
How much Watts is your Power Supply Unit (PSU)? Just to be sure that the AMD RX gets enough power.
700 watt, should be more than enough.

Got an odd problem with MADVR now, I did get 3D working in MPC but was not working in KODI DS so I reinstalled DS, still no joy, new install of DS, still no joy so I decided to reinstalled MADVR.

After reinstalling MADVR i can no longer get the custom modes tab, it flckers up and then disapears when I choose the display modes option, any ideas?

edit, completely stripped out MADVR and tried both latest and last version, still no custom modes tab, whats going on?

edit 2 - rebooted my receiver, back now, wierdness...

Last edited by mclingo; 24th December 2017 at 17:50.
Old 24th December 2017, 17:58   #47936  |  Link
HillieSan

The PSU should be fine.

I also have problems with Kodi DS. I gave up on Kodi DS some time ago.

Last edited by HillieSan; 24th December 2017 at 18:00.
HillieSan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th December 2017, 18:58   #47937  |  Link
mclingo

Quote:
Originally Posted by HillieSan View Post
The PSU should be fine.

I also have problems with Kodi DS. I gave up on Kodi DS some time ago.
I love KODI DS.

Ive given up on the Nvidia 1050 again, 3D is just all over the place, sometimes it works, sometimes not with no reason at all, sometimes it works but there is an odd paralax shift like L/R are the wrong way around, which ever way around you have your glasses.

Black screens all over the place, loss of HDMI handshake which I also get with the AMD a bit, nail in the coffin was a system hang, was hoping the NVIDIA card would be more stable but sadly not.

Just dont think we're going to have a fully stable system on Windows 10 for a while if at all now.

for the moment i'll live with a few system hangups but with everything working as it should be, 2D/3D/HDR all working perfectly in KODI DS with my AMD card.

I've moved back to an older AMD driver which I got far fewer system hangs on 17.10.2
Old 24th December 2017, 19:49   #47938  |  Link
SamuriHL

I've no issue with 3D on my 1060. I don't use FSE but instead use windowed mode. The only issue I've had was with Polar Express 3D but PowerDVD and the Xbox One both gave me the same issues so I'm not sure what's happening with that disc. Everything else is flawless. Watched Force Awakens 3D mkv last week before going to see Last Jedi. But I'm using madvr/lav filters in JRiver MC. Very stable combination.
Old 24th December 2017, 22:29   #47939  |  Link
mclingo

Quote:
I've no issue with 3D on my 1060. I don't use FSE but instead use windowed mode. The only issue I've had was with Polar Express 3D but PowerDVD and the Xbox One both gave me the same issues so I'm not sure what's happening with that disc. Everything else is flawless. Watched Force Awakens 3D mkv last week before going to see Last Jedi. But I'm using madvr/lav filters in JRiver MC. Very stable combination.
i will probably give it another go with the next driver release if it fixes all the current issues with HDR etc.

Cheers.
Old 25th December 2017, 01:38   #47940  |  Link
brazen1

Quote:
Originally Posted by mclingo View Post
3D is a not go, worked once now doesnt work at all, any tricks to getting 3D MVC working with NVIDIA card?
Turn on stereoscopic globally and in the NCP. Some of us create scripts to automate this since some playback scenarios of 2D turn these settings off regardless of madVR 3D settings recently discussed here. Works every time without fail using NVidia here.
brazen1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
direct compute, dithering, error diffusion, madvr, ngu, nnedi3, quality, renderer, scaling, uhd upscaling, upsampling