Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Video Encoding > New and alternative video codecs

Old 9th August 2005, 10:17   #61  |  Link
dimzon
BeHappy/MeGUI developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by On2Tech
At this time I am aware of no plans to go open source with a VP6 or VP7 decoder.
Thanx for Your answer.

Quote:
May I ask why you wish that this were not so?
Absence of the OpenSource (or at least reference) VP7 decoder is a reason preventing from VP7 usage for long-term video backup. Really I have no warranty to found acceptable HW/SW (x86/Win32) in 2015 (ten years later) to decode my own backup using existing proprietary decoder implementation. In other way existance of OpenSource (or at least reference) decoder give me a chance to found a sourceport or at least to make sourceport myself.
I hope You understand me (sorry for my crappy english, I'm very confused).

Last edited by dimzon; 22nd March 2006 at 13:24. Reason: VP62 is now LGPL, so we need only VP7 decoder
dimzon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th August 2005, 16:46   #62  |  Link
E-Male
mad computer-scientist

vp7 doesn't decode vp6 on my system
shouldn't it do that?
E-Male is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th August 2005, 17:03   #63  |  Link
SpaceV

dimzon is right.....

If there is no open sourced decoder avail then if I make backups of my home videos and want to watch them in 20+ years on the successor of the successor of Longhorn then who guarantees me that I can still play them?

Maybe everyone will be using Linux by then (hehe). With the decoder source there is at least a chance someone will be able to port the code.

Whats On2 stand point on this?
SpaceV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th August 2005, 17:08   #64  |  Link
dimzon
BeHappy/MeGUI developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpaceV
If there is no open sourced decoder avail then if I make backups of my home videos and want to watch them in 20+ years on the successor of the successor of Longhorn then who guarantees me that I can still play them?

Maybe everyone will be using Linux by then (hehe). With the decoder source there is at least a chance someone will be able to port the code.

Whats On2 stand point on this?
100% agreed

In commercial aspect MPEG4-like licensing scheme is more sutable IMHO.

On2Tech, please, inform Your Marketers and Managers. Proprietary decoder is deterrent for wide usage of Your really nice codec. And it's one of the reason to choose H264 family!

Last edited by dimzon; 9th August 2005 at 17:45.
Old 10th August 2005, 11:49   #65  |  Link
Irwin

h264 and mpeg4 asp is playable on for example Windows Mobile platform. Vp6 or Vp7 = forget it.
Irwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th August 2005, 11:59   #66  |  Link
dimzon
BeHappy/MeGUI developer

On2Tech
Can You comment this posts: 1, 2, 3, 4

Thanx!
Old 10th August 2005, 13:27   #67  |  Link
stephanV
gone

He answered there were no plans to do this. What more do you want to know?
stephanV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th August 2005, 14:43   #68  |  Link
On2Tech

We understand your concerns. All I can say is that we are not aware of any plans to open source the decoders or encoders for VP6 or 7 at present.

However, On2, have, as I am sure you are aware, made significant contributions to the open source community in the past and it is not beyond the realms of possibility that we will make further such contributions in the future.

It seems to me your comments / concerns could equally be applied to, for example, RV10. Any codec in fact where the source code is not freely available.

You are no doubt aware that VP6.2 is the new codec in Flash 8 and MacroMedia also have rights to use VP7 at a later date. Perhaps the huge distribution that this implies may alleviate some of your concerns.

On2Tech
On2Tech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th August 2005, 14:51   #69  |  Link
dimzon
BeHappy/MeGUI developer

Quote:
It seems to me your comments / concerns could equally be applied to, for example, RV10.
Yeah, 100% agreed!
Quote:
Any codec in fact where the source code is not freely available.
At least not source code but full bitstream specification.
Old 10th August 2005, 15:06   #70  |  Link
Sirber
retired developer

Quote:
It seems to me your comments / concerns could equally be applied to, for example, RV10. Any codec in fact where the source code is not freely available.
Why opensource them? Both VP7 and RV10 can be played in mplayer on every OS using win32 dlls.
Old 10th August 2005, 15:59   #71  |  Link
dimzon
BeHappy/MeGUI developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirber
Both VP7 and RV10 can be played in mplayer on every OS using win32 dlls.
Unfortunally You need at least x86 CPU architecture to play VP7 and RV10 using win32 dlls. Who can guarantee that You will be able to find x86 compatible CPU 10 or 20 years later???
Old 10th August 2005, 16:08   #72  |  Link
Irwin

Quote:
Originally Posted by dimzon
Unfortunally You need at least x86 CPU architecture to play VP7 and RV10 using win32 dlls. Who can guarantee that You will be able to find x86 compatible CPU 10 or 20 years later???
Yes! you right. I have Intel pxa270 (xscale, strongarm architecture) and win32 dll is useless already.
Irwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th August 2005, 17:51   #73  |  Link
neo_anderson

come on , i love VP7, it decodes and encodes perfectly on my p4 2.4 ghz, 512 mb ram pc!i hope some good encoding software which is something like recode 2 is soon released by on2!
Old 10th August 2005, 23:21   #74  |  Link
Sirber
retired developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dimzon
You can't already play DX5 and DX6 games... Thanks to M$! Also, in 10-20 years, you'll just need to keep an old box, which will be probably in linux. No one force you to upgrade.

[edit]

Why pink?

Last edited by Sirber; 10th August 2005 at 23:25.
Sirber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th August 2005, 10:54   #75  |  Link
stephanV
gone

There is no guarantee for 20 years later anyway? Who guarantess that my CDs still will play, or even my DVDs? Who guarantees that I can still connect my USB devices to my computer in 20 years? Who guarantees that there are still compilers for C and C++ code in the future. Who guarantees that anyone will actually port this code to a new OS and/or architechture? I'm sorry, but I find this discussion a little bit academic and not serving any other purpose than poluting this thread now the question has been answered that it won't happen any time soon.
stephanV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th August 2005, 12:08   #76  |  Link
Sirber
retired developer

Old 11th August 2005, 13:02   #77  |  Link
celtic_druid

We could also all be dead in 20 years.
celtic_druid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th August 2005, 13:07   #78  |  Link
dimzon
BeHappy/MeGUI developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by celtic_druid
We could also all be dead in 20 years.
Old 11th August 2005, 13:51   #79  |  Link
Wilbert

Well, i don't agree with stephanV. I think the point dimzon is making is very important.

Quote:
Who guarantess that my CDs still will play, or even my DVDs? Who guarantees that I can still connect my USB devices to my computer in 20 years?
That's hardware related, imo not really relevant when discussing the accessibility of movies/docs/music/whatever files themselves.

Quote:
Who guarantees that there are still compilers for C and C++ code in the future.
Open source compilers won't vanish suddenly.

Quote:
Who guarantees that anyone will actually port this code to a new OS and/or architechture?
The main point is that it is possible because it's open source. Whether someone does it is just a detail (an important detail of course).
Wilbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th August 2005, 13:58   #80  |  Link
bond

imho the point is on2 doesnt want to make it opensource and also not openformat.
obviously they think they can make more money if the keep it closed (and i think they are right with such an opinion).
and for them it also propably doesnt matter what in 10 or 20 years is, because at that point, if the company still exists, they will propably have released vp20 already and dont care about vp6/7 anymore

nothing wrong with that. thats capitalism...
does this also mean that its the best for the consumer? no. but than again i have been know as a supporter for open standards a long time already

so to make it short this discussion leads to nothing imho

MPEG-4 ASP FAQ | AVC/H.264 FAQ | AAC FAQ | MP4 FAQ | MP4Menu stores DVD Menus in MP4 (guide)
Ogg Theora | Ogg Vorbis
use WM9 today and get Micro$oft controlling the A/V market tomorrow for free

Last edited by bond; 11th August 2005 at 14:01.
bond is offline   Reply With Quote