Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > (HD) DVD, Blu-ray & (S)VCD > DVD burning

Old 11th January 2003, 04:13   #1  |  Link
jmes

DRU-500A Questions

This morning I exchanged my TDK writer for the Sony and have a couple of questions. How do you determine the firmware version on the writer? What firmware do I want to have?

(The TDK came with NeroExpress but it was generally failing with "Data Verification" errors - same thing happens with the Sony when using NeroExpress - this is too weird that two writers from two different manufacturers would have the same problem - any clues as to what might be going on would appreciated - have tried HP, Memorex and generic DVD's - same result)

What software is recommended for burning video as well as data DVDs - After my experience with the verification errors, would like something that confirms the write is accurate.

I want to burn "data" discs, copy video DVD's AND create video DVD's from discrete VOB/IFO files - I'm getting the feeling that this is too much to ask for in 1 software package.

Any help would be GREATLY appreciated. Thanks in advance,

Jim
jmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th January 2003, 20:16   #2  |  Link
Future2000

SONY DRU500A (The Best DVD Writer in the World!)

jmes,

Congratulations you've just purchased the best DVD Writer out there, and it's SONY's first attempt. A few steps away from burning perfect disks everytime you are.

Firstly to determine the firmware revision you need to get the SONY utlity...

http://sony.storagesupport.com/dvdrw/dru500adwn.htm

Once you've got this upgrade to the latest firware revision (1.of) This will allow you to burn on Ritek G3 disks at 2x. I personally have burnt lots of Riteks at 2x, and they have worked on nearly all standalone PS2 etc. I have tried them on as well as on my laptop DVD drive and all PC dvd drives.

Once you have this get yourself a copy of NERO 5.9.9.17. Any version before or after this is problematic currently, including the 5.9.9.10 version.

Next you will need some good media. Of course Verbatim, Sony etc. all make good media if you can afford to pay £5.00 + a disk. I can't so I use Ritek G3's (deep purple) disks. I can usually get these at around 85p to £1 each. If your in the UK try

http://www.shopink.co.uk/acatalog/DVD_R_s.html

The ALL4Mats Ritek's at 85p each are perfect and so far I have burnt 30 without a single failure at 2x.

To create DVD Video that's compliant use Nero's DVD-Video, but make sure if your using IFOedit and others that you get VTS sectors otherwise you get issues with compatability.

Also I hate to say it but DVDXCopy works great for backing up DVD's that ive purchased.

Give us a shout if you need any more info.

Coolermaster ATC-210, Athlon XP2000, Abit KX-7 333, Leadtek Geoforce 4 T200 My Vivo 128Mb, Asus 16x DVD, Soundblaster Audigy, Adaptec 39160 U160 SCSI, Quantum Atlas 10KIII 73GB Drive, 2 x WD 8Mb Buffer 80Gb drives, 1 x HP Surestore 12/24Gb DDS Dat drive, Sony DRU500a DVD Writer, Promise TX2 Ultra 133 IDE Controller, Hauppauge Win~TV PVR250, Win2K Pro SP3, 21" Sun (Trinitron) Monitor
Future2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th January 2003, 07:55   #3  |  Link
markrb
Old fart

Future2000, actually it's not Sony's first attempt they have had a +R/+RW drive out for some time before the DRU-500A came out.

Usually you can also tell during your computers boot-up. Watch to see when it's doing it's POST to see the drive name come up. Next to the drive name will be the firmware release:

Secondary Master: Sony DRU-500A 1.0D

Might look something like above when it's detecting your other drives. The 1.0D is the firmware revision.

I have been using Nero 5.5.10.0 without a problem, but many say it has a problem. Until I see it for myself I am going to continue using it. I have 5.5.9.17 as a backup if the new release fails, but before this version I don't think Nero works with this drive.

Mark
Old 12th January 2003, 11:52   #4  |  Link
Kandor

and if you have nero you can go to the choose recoder and there you can see what firmware the drive has and all the other things about it like the buffer size on the drive and so on.
Kandor is offline   Reply With Quote