Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > General > Subtitles

Old 12th April 2009, 11:58   #21  |  Link
rica

Quote:
Originally Posted by GZZ View Post
Hey laserfan.

Your subtitle is a HD DVD subtitle, my program only support Bluray subtitles, so you need to convert it to BD subtitle in Supread.
gzz, please check the subtitle on my iso file.
You will find it at post 7...
Original was HD-DVD and Supread used...
rica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th April 2009, 13:51   #22  |  Link
GZZ

Quote:
gzz, please check the subtitle on my iso file.
You will find it at post 7...
Original was HD-DVD and Supread used...
I will have a look at it.
GZZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th April 2009, 13:57   #23  |  Link
GZZ

The red color around the letters are also on the orginal files ?

So I see 2 things here.

1) A request to make a speedup / speeddown like eac3to does for audio and video ?

2) A way to change the colorpalette, so the red color can be removed / Changed ?
Old 12th April 2009, 14:01   #24  |  Link
rica

Quote:
The red color around the letters are also on the orginal files ?
No.

Quote:
So I see 2 things here.

1) A request to make a speedup / speeddown like eac3to does for audio and video ?

2) A way to change the colorpalette, so the red color can be removed / Changed ?
Correct.
Old 12th April 2009, 14:09   #25  |  Link
GZZ

you have a original HD-sub file, so I can check if its not a HD -> Bluray bug in Supread ?
Old 12th April 2009, 14:11   #26  |  Link
rica

gzz, btw i'll check if BD sup gives this red outline as well.
It might be related with SupRead?
Haven't given it a go with a BD subtitle yet.
I'll make you inform after the trial.
Old 12th April 2009, 14:39   #27  |  Link
GZZ

Made an Update. Check my first post for changed.

Quote:
Also, take a look at Pelican9's tool SUPread. SUPread can export to PNG's and Scenarist BDN XML file. The PNG's are not trimmed though. SUPread always export 1920x1080 PNG's.
You should check the new version out.
Old 12th April 2009, 15:11   #28  |  Link
rica

Quote:
Made an Update. Check my first post for changed.

You should check the new version out.
Thanks a lot, i'll give it a go asap.
Old 12th April 2009, 15:35   #29  |  Link
laserfan
Aging Video Hobbyist

Quote:
Hey laserfan.

Your subtitle is a HD DVD subtitle, my program only support Bluray subtitles, so you need to convert it to BD subtitle in Supread.

Second, your sample is broken, so I cant even convert it for you, please upload a complete sup file. You can Rar it before uploading, then it will be smaller.
Hey GZZ,

You didn't read my post! I *did* convert with Supread prior to your program. What I'm trying to find out is why this subtitle, which is a subtitle from a 720x480 program, is being read as a 1920x1080 instead. I thought you might be able to determine this from a piece of the file (I assume there's header info there).

Never mind, I've uploaded the complete, original HD DVD subtitle here. It's compressed w/7zip.

If you think it might be an eac3to issue, maybe I can try demuxing instead with tsMuxeR. Hmmm....
laserfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th April 2009, 15:43   #30  |  Link
GZZ

Quote:
Never mind, I've uploaded the complete, original HD DVD subtitle here. It's compressed w/7zip.
I'll have a look at it.
Old 12th April 2009, 15:59   #31  |  Link
laserfan
Aging Video Hobbyist

Thanks for looking! FYI I just tried to demux the subtitle from the HD DVD using tsMuxeR, and it wouldn't do it ("Some tracks not recognized. This tracks was ignored.." sic). In eac3to's log it said "4: Subtitle (DVD), English, "for the Hearing Impaired" and on import to SUPread (as you will see) it says "D:\video\englishHDDVD.sup loading -- HD DVD (DVD) subtitle found." So they seem to think (correctly I guess) that it's a "DVD" subtitle and not hi-def.

But like I said in my first post, the SUPread-converted output doesn't show-up on playback, only after import/export w/your tool does it finally appear. It just seems to me that maybe as your tool appears to be interpreting it as a 1920x1080 sup then it is re-sizing it un-necessarily.

Last edited by laserfan; 12th April 2009 at 16:03.
Old 12th April 2009, 19:37   #32  |  Link
laserfan
Aging Video Hobbyist

Quote:
Originally Posted by laserfan View Post
...I'm trying to find out is why this subtitle, which is a subtitle from a 720x480 program, is being read as a 1920x1080 instead...
Oh, good grief! I was sitting here staring at the open SUPread window I had in front of me, and thought to try the "Save bitmaps" button! All the subtitles are indeed 1920x1080 bitmaps!!!

I had no idea it might be possible to mix HD subtitles with an SD program!? So I have to say "never mind" and "sorry for the bandwidth" as your program just did what it was supposed to do.

Still wonder why your output has a thin red outline after re-sizing, but my question about "why 1920x1080" was just plumb wrong! So sorry--my mistake!
Old 12th April 2009, 19:42   #33  |  Link
GZZ

its ok. I still got the "red subtitle" sample I can play around with.
Old 12th April 2009, 20:32   #34  |  Link
rica

OK,

i gave it a go with previous build first.
No red artifact with BD sup.

Second, i tried the new build.
Nothing has changed with our red ghost.
And now i'm sure it is not related with SupRead at all since:

1) Opened this supread BD sup with BDSupEdit and export as PNGs (red was still there)

2) Opened this supread BD sup with BDSup2Sub (instead of opening the original HD-DVD sup directly) and export as BD sup without resizing and later opened resulting sup file with BDSupEdit and resize/export as PNGs.
(no red ghost via BDSup2Sub and perfect resizing via BDSupEdit)
I think i stick to the second method as ripping HD-DVD sups until gzz figure out the red ghost issue.

Last edited by rica; 12th April 2009 at 23:40.
Old 12th April 2009, 22:37   #35  |  Link
rica

Quote:
Originally Posted by rica View Post
OK,

iI think i stick to the second method as ripping HD-DVD sups until gzz figure out the red ghost issue.
But this time i've just noticed a greeny ghost even the resize quality is much better with this method? (the newest build makes more greeny btw.)

And this is BDSup2Sub result (BDSup is directly resized with this program.)

No greeny but not good resized.

(both screen shots enlarged to 400%)
_ _ _ _ _

Last edited by rica; 12th April 2009 at 23:42.
Old 13th April 2009, 11:41   #36  |  Link
Ulf

Scenarist XML import

Thanks GZZ for taking up the work of implementing Scenarist XML import!

Here is what I have found out so far for BDSupEdit Ver 0.2:

1. I first got the error "Could not convert variant of type (Null) into type (Boolean)". This was resolved by changing all occurance of Forced="False"> to forced="False">.

2. The timings were incorrect in the produced sup file. The XML file had FrameRate="23.976". The timings would have been correct for FrameRate="24". BDSupEdit produces the same timings for both cases. The timings in a BDN XML file are really frame counts. So in the case where fps=23.976, the timings are given in the BDN XML file as if the frame rate was 24 fps. In the cases where the frame rates are 23.976, 29.97 or 59.94 fps, you have to multiply the times Ver 0.2 produces by a factor of 1.001.

3. Subtitle bitmaps that are already trimmed are not handled correctly (as the example in post #16). They will end up in the upper left corner of the bitmap. BDSupEdit seems to ignore the X and Y coordinate placement information in the XML file.

Overall, this is a very good and promising start. The fact that BDSupEdit trims the bitmaps is a nice feature. Keep up the good work!

Last edited by Ulf; 15th April 2009 at 12:07.
Ulf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th April 2009, 14:18   #37  |  Link
GZZ

Quote:
1. I first got the error "Could not convert variant of type (Null) into type (Boolean)". This was resolved by changing all occurance of Forced="False"> to forced="False">.
I see the problem in my XML reader. Will fix this in next version.

Quote:
2. The timings were incorrect in the produced sup file. The XML file had FrameRate="23.976". The timings would have been correct for FrameRate="24". BDSupEdit produces the same timings for both cases. The timings in a BDN XML file are really frame counts. So in the case where fps=23.976, the timings are given in the BDN XML file as if the frame rate was 24 fps. In the cases where the frame rates are 23.976, 29.97 or 59.94 fps, you have to multiply the times Ver 0.2 produces by a factor of 1.001.
I used the timecode without converting it, so this is a clear issue from my side. I will fix this.

Quote:
3. Subtitle bitmaps that are already trimmed are not handled correctly (as the example in post #16). They will end up in the upper right corner of the bitmap. BDSupEdit seems to ignore the X and Y coordinate placement information in the XML file.
I added a trimming function, because supread always output 1920x1080 png image, so there is properly an error when reading already trimmed image. I will also fix this.

Thanks alot for all the info.
Old 13th April 2009, 17:40   #38  |  Link
Ulf

GZZ!

The syntax for the timings in a BDN XML file (e.g. 01:00:00:12) is:
HH:MM:SS:FF, where FF is frames.
If FrameRate=24 the above timing translates to 3600.5 s.
For FrameRate=23.976 it translates to 3600.5*1.001 s
Ulf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th April 2009, 21:18   #39  |  Link
Daiz

Finally a free program that can convert BDN XML + 8-bit PNGs to Blu-ray compatible SUPs I've been waiting for this!

A request, can you add commandline switches? something like BDSupEdit input.sup/.xml [options, like -resize 1280x720 -method lanczos] output.sup would be very nice.
Old 14th April 2009, 21:40   #40  |  Link
OptimusX

These are wonderful developments...MaestroSBT with BDN/xml ability + BDSupEdit = just what I've been waiting for! Thanks to all for sharing your work!
OptimusX is offline   Reply With Quote