Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > (HD) DVD, Blu-ray & (S)VCD > (HD) DVD & Blu-ray authoring

Old 4th April 2002, 03:37   #1  |  Link
wedge

microsecond pauses after transcoding w/ rempeg

being a newbie I have not done too many transcodings yet so I could use someones help.
This is the problem.
I have ripped the complete movie to hd using dvd decrypter(The Score).
Used IFO to end up w/no menus & just the main movie.Total size of 5.1ggs.
Follow Dooms guide w/Rempeg to get an M2v file that is 3.9ggs plus the audio etc files that bring it to a total of 4.26 gs.ok so far so good.
use dvd2avi to play back M2v to check picture quality.Looks good.At this point it might just be me but it also looks like it might be playing a fraction too fast.Very slight hardly noticeable.I cannot check the M2v file w/power dvd 4.0 so cannot tell if this is a problem w/dvd2avi or the M2v itself.
Use IFO to remux back together & at this point I use prassi to burn to dvd-rw.
On playback of both the dvd-rw and the final video_ts on hd I get these .25 second or less pauses,sound is ok picture quality is excellent except for these little stutters.It seems to happen most at scene changes.Also did this w/Enemy at the Gates.
Have not used Tmpg or anything else yet,still learning,still reading,first time I have opened my mouth to ask a question & hope I don't stick my foot in it.
The Score NTSC
Athlon 1800+
Abit K7A-R
2 Maxtor 80g 7200rpm in Raid-0
256 ram
asus g-force video
pioneer 115 dvd-rom
pioneer-A03 dvd-r
Thanks
PS other movies that do not need transcoding have worked perfectly ie fast & furious.
wedge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th April 2002, 06:05   #2  |  Link
bluespot

heh, how bout that. I just had the exact same thing happen to me today (really).

really quick pauses, mostly at scene changes in the ReMPEGd movie, after using IFO edit to mux it back to the original VOBs. I made a d2v project out of the m2v file so I could VFAPI it and play it back in media player. Flawless. So it's not the stream. Maybe something to do with how I remuxed it back into the original videos. Maybe a bug in ReMPEG (nah, that could never happen)

It's worth mentioning that this was one of those streams that hit 99% and never finished. Anyway, I'm going to look into it a little more and see if I can figure it out. This is what I get for trying to save time by not using CCE. I'll post back later.

bluespot
bluespot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th April 2002, 02:28   #3  |  Link
bluespot

Well, I've tried everything that I could think of and I can't get the damn thing to work. I basically started over, stripped the movie and got it so that the only thing that needed to be done was transcode. (BTW, there was only 1 audio stream, and no subtitles after I finished). Transcoded this set of VOBs in ReMPEG, and muxed back in with IFOEdit. Same problem. Tried removing/correcting the angle pointers. No effect.

I found one other post dealing with this same problem, but it was never resolved, here is the link anyway:

http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.ph...ghlight=rempeg

heh, after my original post I kicked myself in the ass when I realized that PowerDVD can play M2V streams just as easily as regular DVDs. The M2V produced by ReMPEG played perfect. So I can say for a fact that the remuxing process in IFOEdit introduces the problem. What I can't say, is why???

Anyone care to take a guess?
Old 15th April 2002, 04:03   #4  |  Link
bluespot

Well, I had 2 movies with this problem, and no matter what I did, it would not go away. So what next? Reauthor the damn things in scenarist.

So basically I used the CCE procedure on my ReMPEG output, and guess what, it worked perfect both times. This would seem to indicate some sort of problem with the IFOEdit remux function. Or maybe under certain circumstances, ReMPEG creates an output that 'confuses' IFOEdit, but not other playback or authoring programs. It seems like it is a small bug in IFOEdit, one that should definitely be fixable.

I guess I'm asking Derrow if he can look into this (btw, thanks for the great program Derrow!). I've seen several other posts of people with the same exact problem, and even more where it seemed like the same problem. I referenced one earlier in this thread. Please post here and let us know if you've seen this behaviour before. The more people posting, the more justification for fixing

bluespot

Oh yeah, one last thing...in case anyone wonders why I'm still using ReMPEG, here it is:
Because it is still a very useful piece of software. If your movie is just barely over the size limit, it will save you a lot of time over using CCE, and the quality will be comparable to the CCE output due to the high bitrate used. It is also useful for reencoding extras where you do not want to spend a lot of time, and quality is not as important as with the main movie.
Old 19th April 2002, 07:03   #5  |  Link
wedge

Hi Bluespot:
I took your advice on this problem.I used the rempeg of The Score and reading Doom's guide on Spruceup(being a newbie I thought I would start easy) and got my ifo & Vobs that way.I had a hard time figuring out the extraction of the audio & Vstrip (for ac3) never worked correctly for me.Ended up using dvd2avi for the ac3 stream.
The end result is a great looking picture and DD 5.1 sound.
Thanks for the advice.
I learned a ton doing it that way.
When it finally came together I'll admit I even did a little happy dance
wedge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th April 2002, 16:54   #6  |  Link
bluespot

Hi Wedge,
I'm glad it worked out for you! I have to admit, I've done a couple of those happy dances myself while working on this stuff.

At least there is something to fall back on if the IFOEdit remux comes out choppy. But in the end it will have taken more time than if you started wtih CCE in the first place

Oh well, can't have it all I guess
Old 20th April 2002, 20:52   #7  |  Link
Buttkicker

Really strange how some people struggle with certain dvd,s and for others they are,nt a problem.

I did the score about 6 weeks ago, and it worked ok

how-ever I dont use ifo edit at all, if the movie is too big, I rip to 2 files (AC3) & (M2V) with smartripper, then downsize with rempeg if it needs downsizing, then just import the 2 files into spruce, and write.

out of about 50 discs done, 2 were real pigs to do,
pearl harbor
Along came a spider

spent days on them 2, with errors galore, could,nt be arsed with em in the end, but 2 failures out of 50, I can Live with
Buttkicker is offline   Reply With Quote