Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Video Encoding > MPEG-4 Encoder GUIs

Closed Thread

Old 31st March 2006, 14:15   #781  |  Link
Doom9
clueless n00b

don't worry about it.. megui is about to get a lot smarter if somebody finishes what I started and currently can't see through. If you look at the code I posted in the dev thread, I fully support the new syntax and megui is already capable of knowing when it needs what kind of mux jobs.
Old 31st March 2006, 17:18   #782  |  Link
JoeBG
stupid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doom9
No.. bug in your bugreport. I've told you multiple times that public megui builds do not support squid's encraw mods.
The mistake would also have hapenned with a normal build and is not specially related to a build from squid

Quote:
Is that so hard to remember?
Yes, I canīt remember that we have been talking about mistakes that could happen with normal builds.

Joe
------------------------
freedom is just another word for nothing left to loose
Old 4th April 2006, 17:06   #783  |  Link
cmw

I don't know if it has already been reportet (though it's in the newest release, 2118 (it was in earlier releases aswell).

If I got an input file with a DELAY Tag (like a ripped AC3 Stream) and want to rename it for me to be easily recognizeable (when using multiple languages), and the file ends with e.g. DELAY 200ms eng.ac3, MeGUI will bring up an error when loading the file, saying something like "invalid lenght" or sth.

However renaming to eng DELAY 200ms.ac3 does work without error.

+The Changelog got messed up in 2118
Old 4th April 2006, 18:08   #784  |  Link
ChronoCross
Does it really matter?

@cmw
It's not a bug. It's just that meGUI is looking for the file format specified by DGIndex. it expects nothing after the delay. which is why it works in the second example
Old 5th April 2006, 14:16   #785  |  Link
shon3i
BluRay Maniac

It is not a strange bug but when calculate bitrate for MKV i always get undersize. I always use 695MB for final file and always get 691 or 692MB in final file. Comparing to Gordian Knot which have right calculation the bitrate is different about 5-6 bits
Old 7th April 2006, 19:02   #786  |  Link
greggerm

One-Click Encoder Bug (??)

Folks,

I've done some searches and have come up nuts for this problem, so I will pose the problem I am having out here to see if I am either totally missing something, or if there is a hiccup.

MeGUI 0.2.3.2118
x264 v485
AVISynth 2.5.6 (w/plugins recommended in the MeGUI Guide)
NAAC encoding (w/neroraw and the req'd Nero dll's in place)

I enqueued about a dozen jobs using the one-click encoder, set up with my video and audio profiles. Each job was set to disregard file size, and use the profile's bitrate.

One-click performed the DGIndex process and created the .AVS files against all my queued movies first. It then returned to the first movie and processed in it's "4" steps in the queue - (Audio, Video Pass 1, Video Pass 2, Mux). I then have a ready-to-go encode of the first movie. (yay!)

Immediately following the mux, MeGUI simply stops, and closes completely. The remaining jobs for the remaining movies are not processed, and I am left with nothing running on the desktop or in the task manager. The computer does not attempt to power itself down. (MeGUI was up on the screen and the active window at the time)

It may be worth noting that NONE of the "Shutdown on completion" checkboxes are activated.

If I look in the log directory for megui, it is *empty* - barren - desolate. Not a single file in it. Sadly, I wanted to post the logs from the encoding process, but they simply don't exist. I am operating on the computer as a local administrator.

Also, if I look in the queue directory, there are no job entries anywhere.
Understandably, when I relaunch MeGUI, all the sub-jobs for audio, video, and muxing that were there before are gone.

The second movie which was to encode has an AVS file, and that AVS file plays back nicely through WMP.

This behavior exibits itself both on my home computer, as well as on my work computer... so either I'm doing something horribly wrong, or the program may be a little broken.

Insights?
Thanks!

-Greg Germ

Edits:
* I am grabbing MS VSE C# now to try out Berrinam's test below.
* The problem did NOT appear when I tried to encode a single chapter (ripped via IFO mode) from a movie this afternoon. The short 10 minute encodes flowed from one job to the next as one would expect them to. Will try full encodes tonight with the C# debugger going.

Last edited by greggerm; 7th April 2006 at 23:59.
Old 7th April 2006, 22:51   #787  |  Link
berrinam

So it's a silent, fatal crash. That sort of thing is very hard to reproduce without all of your files. If you're willing to, you could try to help with finding the bug:

Get Visual Studio Express (C#) from
http://msdn.microsoft.com/vstudio/ex...p/default.aspx

It's free.

Once you have set it up, get the latest sources for MeGUI from Sharktooth's source repository: http://files.x264.nl/?dir=./Sharktooth/megui/Sources

Then, open the MeGUI.csproj file in Visual Studio, and press Run (F5). You will then have a copy of MeGUI which should display the error and line when it crashes. So just do the same thing there, and see if it tells you which line the error is on.
Old 8th April 2006, 00:26   #788  |  Link
greggerm

I had to set up the application again (profiles, paths, etc), but I am running through debug now.

DGIndexing movie No. 1... will be a bit before it gets done encoding, perhaps I won't see it until tomorrow...

At this early stage before any crashes, should I see anything in the VSE windows? (THey're all empty/dark grey)

UPDATING my problem:
I ran into a different error when running it through debug that had to do with AVISynth, well before the crash/close I was observing. Apparently somewhere along the lines, the .dll "ColorMatrix" was needed in my AVS Plugins dir. I found a copy and installed it. (It didn't ask for it or provide warning that it was missing until I used v.2119)

I then ran MeGUI without any debugging (normally) and queued up two movies. When I woke up this morning, MeGUI was still on the desktop, and I had two encoded movies!

I doubt the error I was seeing was due to the number of movies queued, because at home I had three movies queued up when it closed, and at work I had nearly two dozen.

Perhaps there was somethine else amiss?

Either way, it would appear that I am functioning with One Click as designed. Should it crop up again, I'll be certain to provide more info...

Thanks for the help, Berrinam!
-Greg

Last edited by greggerm; 8th April 2006 at 14:04.
Old 8th April 2006, 01:30   #789  |  Link
berrinam

No, not if you haven't opened any of the files. It should open the problem file when it gets to the error, though
Old 8th April 2006, 13:40   #790  |  Link
shon3i
BluRay Maniac

@berrinam what about This
Old 8th April 2006, 13:48   #791  |  Link
berrinam

I'll add it to the list. It's not a particularly serious bug, is it, though? Granted, it's wrong, but (a) undersizes are better than oversizes, (b) there's always going to be some guesswork involved anyway, due to the nature of the overheads, as they depend on what type of frame is used, which isn't known beforehand.
Old 8th April 2006, 14:12   #792  |  Link
shon3i
BluRay Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by berrinam
undersizes are better than oversizes
True, true, Thanks
Old 8th April 2006, 16:05   #793  |  Link
Doom9
clueless n00b

if you can improve on the formula for mkv overhead, we'd all be grateful. MKV calculations involve a lot of guesswork since the overhead is only known after the video has been encoded.. and on top of that it depends on the distribution of frame types (I/P/B). So my calculations calculate a ratio of I/P/B based on whether b-frames are used or not (and how many? I don't recall). And then there's also some guesswork for the audio but that should be more precise (not taking into account vorbis audio.. that's the worst kind of guessing you'll ever have to do unless you are capable of reading vorbis streams to get its properties).
Old 8th April 2006, 23:23   #794  |  Link
berrinam

Quote:
UPDATING my problem:
I ran into a different error when running it through debug that had to do with AVISynth, well before the crash/close I was observing. Apparently somewhere along the lines, the .dll "ColorMatrix" was needed in my AVS Plugins dir. I found a copy and installed it. (It didn't ask for it or provide warning that it was missing until I used v.2119)
Yep. There was something missing in the changelog which I just remembered -- ColorMatrix was enabled by default since 2119. That would explain your Avisynth problem. So I think your other error is unrelated and yet to be found. Thanks for your testing, though
Old 9th April 2006, 21:55   #795  |  Link
chipzoller
Mr. Woof

@ berrinam

I got it to reproduce, but no line was specified.

If you change the settings to:

both audio tracks default: english
check 'delete completed jobs'
(in addition to the defaults it sets on its own)

it will exit silently

maybe this isn't a "crash"?

EDIT: Yep, it's the "delete completed jobs" that's doing it. That isn't supposed to close the program, is it? It doesn't look like it depends on the status of the queued items. As soon as the queues are completed, successful or not, the app. will exit.

Last edited by chipzoller; 10th April 2006 at 00:58.
Old 10th April 2006, 12:13   #796  |  Link
shon3i
BluRay Maniac

Quote:
if you can improve on the formula for mkv overhead, we'd all be grateful
I can't but GK developer team can becouse when i calculate bitrate in GK everything is fine
Old 11th April 2006, 13:21   #797  |  Link
SCIF
AMD fan

Priority bug

I changed priority in jobN-N.xml manualy to "Normal" and while it start to encode priority was a "Low".
If enqueue job with default "normal" than all right.
One bug else - while my computer is idle(only megui encode in x264) i had a 10 fps, while i change a priority to "Normal" it(fps) growth to 10.5(or 10.7). x264 use "idle" system priority at "low" in megui and it's reason not effective use cpu time. May be "low" in megui need change to "below normal"?
Sorry for my english.

Last edited by SCIF; 11th April 2006 at 14:35.
Old 11th April 2006, 17:08   #798  |  Link
Doom9
clueless n00b

I didn never intend to match all priority classes.. 3 are way more than enough.. I even think this shouldn't be selectable because idle is the way to go. Anything else, if you get lower encoding speed you have too much crap running on your PC. On my machine, process priority has a negligible effect on encoding speed if I don't touch the machine (and if I touch it, I absolutely must have idle as I want to use the PC.. not fall asleep in front of it)

Jobs are started at the priority you have in the settings.. you can change a job's priority (that's a dynamic and not stored property) during encoding, but that only applies to the current encoder process.. when the next job is started, it defaults to priority set in the settings again. This is exactly how other popular programs do it, for instance... drumroll please... Virtualdub. Offering two ways to do the same thing will confuse people, hence that priority selector in the status window will always only influence the process that's currently active.
Old 11th April 2006, 18:45   #799  |  Link
SCIF
AMD fan

Quote:
Jobs are started at the priority you have in the settings.
What's for <PRIORITY> tag in jobN-N.xml??
Old 11th April 2006, 23:32   #800  |  Link
chipzoller
Mr. Woof

Berrinam: Anything on the bug I found? Or is this behavior intentional?
Closed Thread