Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Capturing and Editing Video > NLE - Non Linear Editing
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 26th February 2012, 09:37   #1  |  Link
juGGaKNot

Sony Vegas speed and size.

My render on a core i3 sandy is quite weird and i don't know why :

Normal render, 14 minutes takes 14 hours ( 1280x720x40 )

Last night i had all the tracks minimized, took 3 hours to render, the preview window shows best(half) not best (full) and the output size is 90 GB and not the normal 130 GB.

So :

Maximized tracks - 130 gb + 15 hours render
Minimized tracks - 90 gb + 3 hours render.

Can someone explain this ?

Render and project settings were the same.

cheers.
juGGaKNot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th February 2012, 16:27   #2  |  Link
TheSkiller

You probably did not use the "Optimal" render quality setting in the "Project" tab of the render settings dialog. Always make sure it's on "Optimal", anything else is only for quick'n dirty preview renders.
TheSkiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th February 2012, 18:24   #3  |  Link
juGGaKNot

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSkiller View Post
You probably did not use the "Optimal" render quality setting in the "Project" tab of the render settings dialog. Always make sure it's on "Optimal", anything else is only for quick'n dirty preview renders.
Render settings are identical., project settings the same.
Old 28th February 2012, 12:07   #4  |  Link
Warperus

Size difference can't be explained if your settings are really the same. Output size does not depend on tracks size, preview settings, dinamic preview window etc.
The only possibility is the absense of processing that happens for some formats, but it only happens in case your video is not filtered/alerted at all.

Time difference can be partially explained, but 5 times?! Preview can use some processor power, memory and GPU. It's not a big deal in general as Vegas skips pictures if it takes to much time for them to be shown. Maximized tracks lead to partial utilization of files shown - mini-pictures are created by FileIOSurrogate.exe, but it can't use up all the memory anyway and input size is times bigger than that anyway.
Try to disable preview during rendering, may be it will give new incredible result
Warperus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th February 2012, 07:09   #5  |  Link
juGGaKNot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warperus View Post
Size difference can't be explained if your settings are really the same. Output size does not depend on tracks size, preview settings, dinamic preview window etc.
The only possibility is the absense of processing that happens for some formats, but it only happens in case your video is not filtered/alerted at all.

Time difference can be partially explained, but 5 times?! Preview can use some processor power, memory and GPU. It's not a big deal in general as Vegas skips pictures if it takes to much time for them to be shown. Maximized tracks lead to partial utilization of files shown - mini-pictures are created by FileIOSurrogate.exe, but it can't use up all the memory anyway and input size is times bigger than that anyway.
Try to disable preview during rendering, may be it will give new incredible result
So it is not related to vegas.

Maybe a speed step tech or something similar ?

Or hdd related, 5400rpm laptop.
Old 3rd March 2012, 19:11   #6  |  Link
juGGaKNot

Update :

new laptop, celeron 1.2ghz single core, single thread.

5 hours for render ( video files on an external usb 2.0 drive )

115gb render ( maximized tracks )

So a core i3 sb 2.1ghz 4 thread does it in 3.5 hours ( or 15 hours ) and a celeron single core in 5.

Maybe vegas using a single core ? ( still, single thread 2.1ghz sb architecture vs 1.2 single core celeron architecture just 33% faster ? )