Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > (HD) DVD, Blu-ray & (S)VCD > IFO/VOB Editors

Old 6th December 2006, 18:07   #481  |  Link
r0lZ
PgcEdit daemon

Yes, I understand that.

My problem is that I have to know for sure the video standard of any DVD (including a DVD created with PgcEdit's New DVD and a not-so-legal multistandard DVD) and that's not always easy.

But I suppose that I can retrieve it from the frame rate of the FP-PGC, or if it doesn't exists, from the domain attributes of VTST 1.

And I have to modify the domain stream attributes when it is still zero and a cell is created.

I must also zero the DSA when a VOB file is totally removed.

Many things to change...
r0lZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th December 2006, 20:45   #482  |  Link
bigotti5
Spielberger

BTW setting a cell still time (or VOBU still) requires to set the joint to non-seamless
bigotti5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th December 2006, 21:21   #483  |  Link
r0lZ
PgcEdit daemon

The joint of the next cell, I suppose.

But what do you mean with this remark. That's not related at all to the video standard. Or am I wrong?
Old 6th December 2006, 22:40   #484  |  Link
bigotti5
Spielberger

No not related to the video standard
If you insert a cell command Pgcedit gives you a hint to change the seamy flag but in case of set still time no hint is given.
bigotti5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th December 2006, 08:16   #485  |  Link
r0lZ
PgcEdit daemon

Ah, OK. I'll add that!
Old 15th December 2006, 16:46   #486  |  Link
jinjin_jp

IFO when 0 KB VOB ?

I comapared various IFO when 0KB VOB.
The result was cofused me. Which is correst ?

*difference is only the value of "Start of VTSM_VOBS"(VTSI_MAT). I examined by IfoEdit and stirs(compare data).
And I understand its value means the size of IFO file (7 sectors in this case).

The result was,
(1)original :0
(2) (1) =>IfoEdit(GetVTS) :7
(3) (1) =>manually remove 0KB VOB =>IfoEdit(GetVTS) :0
(4) (1) =>PgcEdit(open (no in "Delete the empty files,---) and save) :7
(5) (4) =>IfoEdit(GetVTS) :7
(6)PgcEdit(open (yes in "Delete the empty files,---) and save) :0
(7) (6) =>IfoEdit(GetVTS) :0
(8) (1) =>manually remove 0KB VOB =>PgcEdit(open and save) :0
(9) (8) =>IfoEdit(GetVTS) :0
(10) (1) =>DVDFab(CorrectVTSsectors) :0
(11) (1) =>manually remove 0KB VOB =>DVDFab(CorrectVTSsectors) :0

When deleted 0KB VOB,
the value of "Start of VTSM_VOBS"(VTSI_MAT) is,
0 : original, PgcEdit, IfoEdit, DVDFab (all)

But when remaining 0KB VOB,
0 : original, DVDFab
7 : PgcEdit, IfoEdit

What the value should be ? "7" is correct ?
(I was replyed long before that it is bug of IfoEdit.)
http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.ph...dit#post666988

Regards.
jinjin_jp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th December 2006, 02:59   #487  |  Link
Ambermoon

error: user "log" doesn't exist

Hi!

Since recently I get the above application error. I open a DVD, go to "Burn DVD/Create ISO", PGCEdit creates a backup and then comes up with this error message. In the log file is written:

user "log" doesn't exist
user "log" doesn't exist
while executing
"file type $filename"
(procedure "dvd_rom_size" line 14)
invoked from within
"dvd_rom_size $in"
(procedure "::burn::burn" line 84)
invoked from within
"::burn::burn"
(menu invoke)

The only things I have done were the installation of an AMD X2 and of MS patches. This error appears with v7.4 as well as with v8 beta 7. When using "Burn DVD/Create ISO" a second time the error message doesn't appear but nothing else happens, either.
As PGCEdit worked for quite some time before I'd like to know what could cause this error and how to get rid of it. Looking through this thread I didn't find any clue (or just overlooked it).
Btw., I have admin rights, if this information is needed.

Kind regards,
Ambermoon
Ambermoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th December 2006, 12:40   #488  |  Link
r0lZ
PgcEdit daemon

Hi, Ambermoon, and welcome to the forum!

Sorry, I don't understand the cause of the problem.
The error occurs when the code "file type $filename" is executed. That code checks if a specific entry in a directory is a file or a directory. I need to know that to compute the number of blocks that entry will use in the compilation. $filename contains the name and path of one of your DVD files.
The error message 'user "log" doesn't exist' is strange, as there is no need to test the owner of the file to know if it's a file or a directory. That problem could therefore be a bug in Tcl/Tk, or, more certainly, in Windows. Anyway, that's a system error message, as no such error message is coded in PgcEdit.

Do you have some DVD-ROM files in the compilation? (They are the files in the folder containing the VIDEO_TS folder.)

How did you create the original DVD-Video files? (The IFO/BUP/VOB files.) With DVD Decrypter? Were you logged as the same user when you have ripped the DVD?

Are you using Windows XP, and NTFS partitions?

You can perhaps try to copy (not move!) the whole folder to another location (preferably to another disc or partition) and try again.

BTW, as ImgBurn v2 can burn the DVD exactly with the same options than PgcEdit, you should use it. The burn function of PgcEdit is now somewhat obsolete.

Last edited by r0lZ; 16th December 2006 at 12:44.
Old 16th December 2006, 13:04   #489  |  Link
r0lZ
PgcEdit daemon

Quote:
Originally Posted by jinjin_jp View Post
I comapared various IFO when 0KB VOB.
The result was cofused me. Which is correst ?

*difference is only the value of "Start of VTSM_VOBS"(VTSI_MAT). I examined by IfoEdit and stirs(compare data).
And I understand its value means the size of IFO file (7 sectors in this case).
That's almost right. More precisely, that value is the offset, relative to the start of the IFO, to the start of the menu VOB file. It should be equal to the size of the IFO if the VOB file is contiguous to the IFO in the ISO/final DVD. That value must be 0 if no menu VOB file is present.

Quote:
The result was,
(1)original :0
(2) (1) =>IfoEdit(GetVTS) :7
(3) (1) =>manually remove 0KB VOB =>IfoEdit(GetVTS) :0
(4) (1) =>PgcEdit(open (no in "Delete the empty files,---) and save) :7
(5) (4) =>IfoEdit(GetVTS) :7
(6)PgcEdit(open (yes in "Delete the empty files,---) and save) :0
(7) (6) =>IfoEdit(GetVTS) :0
(8) (1) =>manually remove 0KB VOB =>PgcEdit(open and save) :0
(9) (8) =>IfoEdit(GetVTS) :0
(10) (1) =>DVDFab(CorrectVTSsectors) :0
(11) (1) =>manually remove 0KB VOB =>DVDFab(CorrectVTSsectors) :0
Seems everything is normal here. If you remove the VOB file, the value must be 0. If it is present, the value cannot be 0. I am still not sure of that value when the VOB file is present but is empty (0 bytes.) IMO, it should be non-zero.

Quote:
When deleted 0KB VOB,
0 : original, PgcEdit, IfoEdit, DVDFab (all)

But when remaining 0KB VOB,
0 : original, DVDFab
7 : PgcEdit, IfoEdit

What the value should be ? "7" is correct ?
That value MUST be non-zero when a VOB file exists. Therefore, I guess that IfoEdit and PgcEdit are right. But, as I said above, I still don't know if the case of an empty VOB file must be handled differently. IMO, it is better to remove the empty VOB anyway, as it causes many problems, it is totally useless, and it is rejected by some programs (such as Ner0.)

NOTE:
If you delete the VOB file manually, PgcEdit doesn't modify the table automatically. I can't verify everything! Anyway, as you can safely use PgcEdit to work on IFO files only (without the VOBs), I cannot assume that I have to remove the references to a VOB file if it is not present. Therefore, PgcEdit forces Start of VTSM_VOBS to 0 only when it removes the VOB file.
The VTSM_C_ADT and VTSM_VOBU_ADMAP tables (or the VMGM equivalents) are also removed when the VOB file is deleted (and, of course, their start offset in VTSI_MAT/VMGM_MAT are also changed to 0.)

[EDIT:] Could you send me the original IFOs? I would like to have a concrete example on my computer, and although I am sure I have several examples here, I don't remember on which DVD I've seen that. (BTW, seems the empty VOBs were frequent in commercial DVDs in the past, but very less frequent today.)

Last edited by r0lZ; 16th December 2006 at 13:18.
Old 16th December 2006, 15:24   #490  |  Link
jinjin_jp

@r0lZ
I send the files. (Sorry I mistook male-title, because reuse old mail and forgot to correct.)

Regards.
Old 16th December 2006, 16:33   #491  |  Link
Ambermoon

Quote:
Originally Posted by r0lZ View Post
Do you have some DVD-ROM files in the compilation? (They are the files in the folder containing the VIDEO_TS folder.)

How did you create the original DVD-Video files? (The IFO/BUP/VOB files.) With DVD Decrypter? Were you logged as the same user when you have ripped the DVD?

Are you using Windows XP, and NTFS partitions?

You can perhaps try to copy (not move!) the whole folder to another location (preferably to another disc or partition) and try again.

BTW, as ImgBurn v2 can burn the DVD exactly with the same options than PgcEdit, you should use it. The burn function of PgcEdit is now somewhat obsolete.
It's not a ripped DVD but a DVD without any DVD-ROM files created with DVDLab Pro 2.21 and needs a DVD DL because of its size. And as the source is not analogue but a TS file (and therefore already compressed) I don't want to shrink to avoid further quality loss. PGCEdit do I use here to set the layer break as people suggest to use the combination PGCEdit/Imgburn instead of Nero as Nero has its flaws here (as I had to experience, too). And it worked well until that error occured out of nowhere. I am always logged as the same user.

I use Windows XP SP2 with the latest patches, the partiton where the files are stored on is NTFS.

I just copied them to another partition and then ran PGCEdit - without any success, the same error message appeared.

I don't know Imgburn that good but doesn't it need an image file first before it can burn? If so I'm stuck here as I need PGCEdit with correct layer break to create this image file but can't do so because of this errror.

So, if you have any idea to solve the problem I'd be very thankful.
Ambermoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th December 2006, 17:26   #492  |  Link
zacoz

ImgBurn now has a build function so you don't have to build the ISO first with another program. It will also correctly place the layer break for you. Get the latest version if you don't have it already, and check out the guides here
Old 16th December 2006, 18:25   #493  |  Link
r0lZ
PgcEdit daemon

Yes, Ambermoon, go on and try ImgBurn v2 in build mode. It is easier to use than PgcEdit, and has exactly the same features (32K gaps, intelligent and correct layer break placement, optional inclusion of DVD-ROM files, etc...) And, as zacoz said, you don't need to create an ISO first!

However, ImgBurn v2.0 still doesn't have a preview when selecting the layer break cell, but the next version will have it. In the meantime, if you need it, you can use the PgcEdit preview in the PGC Editor to locate your preferred layer break cell.
Old 16th December 2006, 19:25   #494  |  Link
FlyDrag

Possibly enchancement

r0lZ Thank you for such usefull tool. But, after some work with it I found some thing that isn't a bug, but seems to be strange for me.

When you create backup and then save files, the procedure seems to be the following:

1. Open original file
2. Create new backup file
3. Copy all data from original file to backup file
4. Modify original file.

This isn't good because you change the original inode, so ALL files hard-linked to this inode are modified. I'm pretty sure that the best way to create backup is:

1. Move original file to backup directory
2. Create new file in the VIDEO_TS directory
3. Modify the new file.

With this you'll keep the original inode and other hard-linked copies of the same file would be not affected, but you can still work with new files.
FlyDrag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th December 2006, 19:42   #495  |  Link
r0lZ
PgcEdit daemon

Well, I haven't thought at this problem, as I work usually under Windows, were hard links are not frequent (it's an euphemism!)

But I wonder why you need to create hard links to your files, and furthermore, why the method you propose should be better. If you modify your DVD, it's for a good reason, so, keeping the unmodified ifos via your links doesn't make sense. I'm sure that the inode of, say, a test file is not modified when you edit it. Right?
Also, although your method can probably be used for the backups, it is not suitable when the files are moved in the original VIDEO_TS folder, for example when you remap the titlesets, without creating a backup first.

Anyway, I can probably change that, but I need to know why you need those links. Sounds so strange!
Old 17th December 2006, 16:33   #496  |  Link
jinjin_jp

About IFO when 0 KB VOB

I was more confused.
I processed the DVD which has 0KB Menu-VOB by DVDShrink.
(1)Full-Disc Mode =>0KB VOB was removed, and the value of "Start of VTSM_VOBS"(VTSI_MAT) changes to the value which is not 0.

But
(2)Re-Author Mode which doesn't have 0KB Menu-VOB =>the value of "Start of VTSM_VOBS"(VTSI_MAT) is 0.

Both (1) and (2) don't have 0KB Menu-VOB, but each value of "Start of VTSM_VOBS"(VTSI_MAT) is different.

Regards.
Old 17th December 2006, 16:39   #497  |  Link
r0lZ
PgcEdit daemon

Quote:
I was more confused.
I processed the DVD which has 0KB Menu-VOB by DVDShrink.
(1)Full-Disc Mode =>0KB VOB was removed, and the value of "Start of VTSM_VOBS"(VTSI_MAT) changes to the value which is not 0.
You have probably found an unknown bug in Shrink!
Old 17th December 2006, 23:47   #498  |  Link
jinjin_jp

@r0lZ
Thanks for the reply.
It is reasonable if bug.

Regards.
Old 18th December 2006, 23:14   #499  |  Link
jinjin_jp

Quote:
You have probably found an unknown bug in Shrink!
It seems to be known bug in here
http://forum.digital-digest.com/show...threadid=39386

Regatds.
Old 19th December 2006, 09:01   #500  |  Link
r0lZ
PgcEdit daemon

Yep, you're right once again, jinjin_jp! I haven't noticed the problem, as I clean the DVDs with PgcEdit before using Shrink. Anyway, thanks for your finding.