Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Hardware & Software > Software players

Old 26th June 2012, 19:52   #13361  |  Link
nevcairiel
Registered Developer

Thats normal, and perfectly correct this way. You should not see 0-16 if your TV is setup properly. If you select 0-255 output, madVR will expand the 16-235 range to 0-255, and 0-16 and 235-255 are lost. But this is OK, because most movies are 16-235 (and if it detects a file is full range, it'll change its behaviour - the test patterns are obviously not marked as full range, or it would defeat their purpose)
Old 26th June 2012, 21:22   #13362  |  Link
mzso

Quote:
Originally Posted by nevcairiel View Post
Thats normal, and perfectly correct this way. You should not see 0-16 if your TV is setup properly. If you select 0-255 output, madVR will expand the 16-235 range to 0-255, and 0-16 and 235-255 are lost. But this is OK, because most movies are 16-235 (and if it detects a file is full range, it'll change its behaviour - the test patterns are obviously not marked as full range, or it would defeat their purpose)
Maybe the source of my problem with madVR originates here. How does it detect the range.

Although My experiences don't verify this. There a blu-ray files that suck hard, and only reach dark grey for which I have to compensate. But most reach black or very close to it.
mzso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th June 2012, 19:58   #13363  |  Link
Nya_Su

Quote:
Originally Posted by mzso View Post
Enable the CPU history column.
It didn't help: there's nothing else eating CPU while I'm playing videos. There's always 10-15% of CPU eaten by MPC-HC, and sometimes something within that cause a red graph spike - that's when I have dropped frames. Green graph doesn't change.

I guess that if I can't find an idea, I'll end up trying the old "Windows XP approach" by formatting and starting from scratch...
Nya_Su is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th June 2012, 22:46   #13364  |  Link
ryrynz

First off try another media player (Potplayer with MadVR) and see if it still occurs. Does the spike only happen with MadVR enabled?
ryrynz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th June 2012, 19:08   #13365  |  Link
Nya_Su

@ryrynz : I don't like this player, but I tried Potplayer with MadVR and also got dropped frames. It's actually worse, even though I used the same filters and configuration...

But there's no "red graph" spike with Potplayer, so I'm beginning to wonder if there really is a link. I'll try MPC-HC with EVR Custom Pres to see what happens with the CPU graph.

EDIT : Well, the red graph does happen too, and I think I got dropped frames (don't know how to be sure with EVR's OSD)...

Last edited by Nya_Su; 28th June 2012 at 20:00.
Old 29th June 2012, 13:41   #13366  |  Link
ryrynz

Might not change anything but if you haven't set process priority above normal in MPC, give it a shot. It's located in the main page of Player in the options. Does the red spike still occur if you play off a flash drive? Also do the frame drops still occur in exclusive mode?

Which splitter are you using? If you're not already running LAV filters I highly recommend you grab it.

If you're still having issues in MPC then try changing the CPU and GPU queue sizes for madVR in Potplayer and see if you can't get those frame drops sorted as it's not plagued by your CPU spike issue your drops could be related to your madVR config.
Also look at your flush settings, changing 'flush & wait (sleep)' to just 'flush' or even setting all options to 'don't flush or 'flush' for testing.
Even though you might not find Potplayer to be as comfortable to use getting a working system on that may be the easier solution right now until you can figure out where your CPU spike issue lies, just remove as much from the equation as you possibly can.
ryrynz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th June 2012, 06:04   #13367  |  Link
ben7337

Nevermind, my issue was an evil MPC-HC setting, not MadVR

Last edited by ben7337; 30th June 2012 at 06:17. Reason: Problem Solved
ben7337 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th June 2012, 06:15   #13368  |  Link
namaiki

Try update or revert your version of MPC-HC.
namaiki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th June 2012, 09:03   #13369  |  Link
mzso

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben7337 View Post
Nevermind, my issue was an evil MPC-HC setting, not MadVR
It would be nice to bring it to people's attention then.
Old 1st July 2012, 18:19   #13370  |  Link
Nya_Su

@ryrynz: changing the priority of MPC didn't change a thing. I would have to try the flash drive thing, since I always play videos from one of the secondary (non-system) disk. I remember trying exclusive fullscreen mode (don't like it) and it didn't change anything.

I'm using Haali Media Splitter as I need "ordered chapters" support, except in some rare cases of files with TrueHD audio. And I'm using LAV filters.

Changing CPU & GPU queues doesn't change anything. When changing the flush setting, there is some change: dropped frames happens (way) sooner when everything is "don't flush'. But I have yet to find a combination that lasts a whole movie, and I'm beginning to wonder if it exists...
Old 1st July 2012, 21:01   #13371  |  Link
mzso

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nya_Su View Post
@ryrynz: changing the priority of MPC didn't change a thing. I would have to try the flash drive thing, since I always play videos from one of the secondary (non-system) disk. I remember trying exclusive fullscreen mode (don't like it) and it didn't change anything.

I'm using Haali Media Splitter as I need "ordered chapters" support, except in some rare cases of files with TrueHD audio. And I'm using LAV filters.

Changing CPU & GPU queues doesn't change anything. When changing the flush setting, there is some change: dropped frames happens (way) sooner when everything is "don't flush'. But I have yet to find a combination that lasts a whole movie, and I'm beginning to wonder if it exists...
You could always Try Potplayers evr-cp with with shader bicubic scaling and yv12 chroma upsampling shader. If you can't fix the problem. Also if it happens with tha too you can start searching elsewhere.
Old 4th July 2012, 01:26   #13372  |  Link
Megalith

Is madVR playback impossible on the Mac? And can any Mac-compatible decoder even compare to it?
Megalith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th July 2012, 01:44   #13373  |  Link
namaiki

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megalith View Post
Is madVR playback impossible on the Mac? And can any Mac-compatible decoder even compare to it?
Bootcamp.
namaiki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th July 2012, 01:54   #13374  |  Link
TheShadowRunner

Quote:
madVR is a renderer..
Old 5th July 2012, 00:12   #13375  |  Link
nx6
Playing with MKV files...

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by namaiki View Post
Bootcamp.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheShadowRunner View Post
madVR is a renderer..
The real answer you're looking for is "no".
Old 5th July 2012, 00:13   #13376  |  Link
kutjong

I have a couple of questions about madVR.
  • Is there any benefit to run D3D11 mode?
  • Is it okay to run in windowed mode instead of exclusive? My video card (Radeon 7950) is more than capable of running windowed D3D11 and the transition from windowed to exclusive is annoying.
  • Any recommendations to change the default upscale settings?
  • Should I run Reclock with madVR?

Any input appreciated.
kutjong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th July 2012, 03:45   #13377  |  Link
dansrfe

Quote:
Originally Posted by kutjong View Post
  • Is it okay to run in windowed mode instead of exclusive? My video card (Radeon 7950) is more than capable of running windowed D3D11 and the transition from windowed to exclusive is annoying.

Any input appreciated.
1. No
2. Yes
3. All Spline @ 3 taps *
4. It's better to *

* These answers are my opinions
dansrfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th July 2012, 15:27   #13378  |  Link
Xello

Quote:
the transition from windowed to exclusive is annoying.
You can disable the 3-second delay in options to make the transition better. I'd like to run windowed mode but with some content I can't do it without getting frame drops for some reason.
Xello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th July 2012, 16:18   #13379  |  Link
kasper93
MPC-HC Developer

Quote:

Any input appreciated.
1. If yuo have problems this mode can resolve them, for example dropped frames..
2. It's ok, but exclusive mode is recommended for better presentation.
3. You must find out yourself what you prefer. And what content do you watch. I personally use
chroma: Catmull-Rom
luma up: Lanczos 3
luma down: Lanczos 3
For low resolution content I recommend softcubic 75/50
Search this thread there were some nice comparison.
4. It's your decision.

Last edited by kasper93; 5th July 2012 at 16:20.
kasper93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th July 2012, 18:31   #13380  |  Link
Chug a Bug

Quote:
Originally Posted by namaiki View Post
There are no benefits for using MPC-HC x64.

Benefits for MPC-HC 32-bit: software compatibility.
I can think of one: DXVA playback of h264 in LAV using x86 filters on W7x64 is choppy. LAV x64 playback is smooth.

Unfortunately I have a choice in W7x64, no madVR or no DXVA.
Chug a Bug is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
direct compute, dithering, error diffusion, madvr, ngu, nnedi3, quality, renderer, scaling, uhd upscaling, upsampling