Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > (HD) DVD, Blu-ray & (S)VCD > One click suites for DVD backup and DVD creation
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 14th September 2005, 05:36   #21  |  Link
influenza
Dutch strain

Quote:
Using DVD Rebuilder doesn't mean it is automatically better everytime. IT depends on the bitrate of the original. I also have plenty of Shrink and DVD-RB discs that look the same.
I do not say that shrink won't give good quality and in some cases quality comparable to CCE but at at 55% I'm having a hard time believing that.

By far, the single best way to prevent the flu is for individuals, especially persons at high risk for serious complications from the flu, to get a flu shot each fall.
influenza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th September 2005, 13:00   #22  |  Link
nwg

Quote:
Originally Posted by influenza
I do not say that shrink won't give good quality and in some cases quality comparable to CCE but at at 55% I'm having a hard time believing that.

As already been said. If the bitrate is high to start with then it can take more compression than normal. To get a artefact free backup just takes about 3.5 to 4mbps bitrate for most DVD's. If the average bitrate is 7 to 8mbps. Then it can take a 50% reduction in bitrate and still look great to most people.
nwg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th September 2005, 13:09   #23  |  Link
influenza
Dutch strain

Well As I only do full dvd backups I'm usually not so lucky to have a 3.5-4.0 Mbit bitrate to work with. 3.5 on the main asset could be possible, but the extras are usually not given more than 2250. And while most PAL extras are interlaced and require quite some bitrate, those will look horrible.

Edit: but this is becoming offtopic this way. Let's stick to the original intent of this thread, being the impression of this new tool (yes I'm guilty of this going offtopic myself ).

By far, the single best way to prevent the flu is for individuals, especially persons at high risk for serious complications from the flu, to get a flu shot each fall.

Last edited by influenza; 14th September 2005 at 13:27.
influenza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th September 2005, 07:17   #24  |  Link
Chetwood

Quote:
Originally Posted by nwg
Exactly. It is also helped by using deep analysis and AEC settings in Shrink.

Using DVD Rebuilder doesn't mean it is automatically better everytime. IT depends on the bitrate of the original. I also have plenty of Shrink and DVD-RB discs that look the same.
Excatly. However, there are a lot of 'coding masters' out there who think encoders must be top notch so they use it often never doing direct comparisons on the same material and equipment. It's always funny though when they say anything less than 80% requires an encoder showing that they totally don't get it.

MultiMakeMKV: MakeMKV batch processing (Win)
MultiShrink
: DVD Shrink batch processing
Offizieller Übersetzer von DVD Shrink deutsch
Chetwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th September 2005, 10:34   #25  |  Link
Lazza
DVDR Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chetwood
Excatly. However, there are a lot of 'coding masters' out there who think encoders must be top notch so they use it often never doing direct comparisons on the same material and equipment. It's always funny though when they say anything less than 80% requires an encoder showing that they totally don't get it.
Agreed, there are way too many variables for any given situation to = DVD-RB+CCE always gives best results on every DVD. OK, so in most situations it cetainly is true there is no argument whatsoever in that ... but not all. Even with some films in the 60 -75% bracket.
Lazza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th January 2006, 13:33   #26  |  Link
n3rdyguy

So anyone tried the new version yet ???? Post results ;p

Starfyrez Community Forum
n3rdyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th February 2006, 08:50   #27  |  Link
emazur

I'm wanting to try this b/c dvdshrink has obselete ripping and I want an all-in-one freebie, by there are some serious red flags being raised:

1) it is adware. = spyware?

2) it don't decrypt css without machinist2.dll, which is not included.
google won't give ya jack, and the file(s) that appear on shareaza are infested with a trojan horse according to the free antivirus software AntiVir:
http://www.free-av.com/
emazur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th February 2006, 11:47   #28  |  Link
ricardo.santos

you can find the machinist2.dll here

the shrinkto5 website forum says the dll was supplied to doom9.org and others but none hosted it.
ricardo.santos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th February 2006, 12:19   #29  |  Link
emazur

thanks, that file seems to be virus-free but why the need for an executable setup program for just a freaking dll?
That's a bit unsettling, plus I don't know if the main program is spyware or not. Embedded ads that don't connect to the internet and don't install any other software on the system are within my tolerance (dvdinfo pro seems to take this approach), but if it's about phoning home or installing browser bars or tray apps then screw it.
emazur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th February 2006, 18:59   #30  |  Link
ricardo.santos

if you like me just want to try out its capabilities, theres a 3 day no ads installed version on their website.

none of my anti spyware detectd anything when installing that version.
ricardo.santos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st February 2006, 16:41   #31  |  Link
stoney

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricardo.santos
none of my anti spyware detectd anything when installing that version.
It's a no-no for me. Don't like Adware - and the Layout of the program is FUBAR on my Display (1680x1050 large fonts)
stoney is offline   Reply With Quote