Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > (HD) DVD, Blu-ray & (S)VCD > IFO/VOB Editors

Old 17th July 2004, 22:32   #1  |  Link
r0lZ
PgcEdit daemon

PgcEdit v0.3.

[EDIT: PgcEdit v7.0 has been released. See this thread.]

Hi everybody.

PgcEdit v0.3 is released.

The changes are mainly the addition of high level macros, for rookie users.

And, of course, some other new features and enhancements. See the version history...

Download PgcEdit here.

The current PgcEdit version is discussed here: PgcEdit 0.5

Old PgcEdit discussion threads:

Last edited by r0lZ; 22nd April 2006 at 10:38.
r0lZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th July 2004, 12:15   #2  |  Link
burnout
Legend

thanx again for the latest release and adding all the new features, gonna go have a play with it later
burnout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th July 2004, 16:50   #3  |  Link
ffroms

Great!!! Now I have something to play with. Thanks!!

FFS
Old 19th July 2004, 18:13   #4  |  Link
jorel

thanks for the new version r0lZ.
can you do a guide with pictures(like the japanese guide)for "simple mortals" ? it's hard for "us"(simple mortals) to start.
Old 20th July 2004, 01:24   #5  |  Link
r0lZ
PgcEdit daemon

Quote:
can you do a guide with pictures(like the japanese guide)for "simple mortals" ? it's hard for "us"(simple mortals) to start.
Don't have many time to do this kind of things. Programming PgcEdit enhancements take me about 12 hours a day. And my english is too bad.

Maybe in the future...

Actually, there are two PDF translations of the interface in german on my site, and a guide in japanese. Maybe some people speaking good english could write a guide or two...
Old 20th July 2004, 18:34   #6  |  Link
motster

I get this error on Open DVD:

can't read "errorInfo": no such variable
can't read "errorInfo": no such variable
while executing
"puts $errorInfo"
(procedure "errmsg" line 5)
invoked from within
"errmsg $err "Error creating backup" $errtxt"
(procedure "Create_Backup" line 24)
invoked from within
"Create_Backup true"
(procedure "::main::Read_New_DVD" line 29)
invoked from within
"::main::Read_New_DVD"
(menu invoke)

Using the precompiled EXE, on both real and Daemon mounted discs. I'm in terminal services on Win2003.

Thoughts?
motster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th July 2004, 20:42   #7  |  Link
r0lZ
PgcEdit daemon

Oops! Yes, it's a bug.

It's due to an 'enhancement' I have made to the new version!
This problem occur when you are reading a DVD from a read-only media, and PgcEdit is trying to create a backup.

Solutions:[list=1][*]Open PgcEdit without loading a DVD, then uncheck the "Create Backup when a DVD is opened for the first time" option, and be sure to save the setups.[*]Or copy/rip your DVD files on HD.[*]Or use the old version 0.2.1. [*]Or wait for the new version 0.3.1. I will post a message in this thread when the new version will be available. Should be verry soon... [/list=1]

Thanks for this bug report, motster.
Old 20th July 2004, 21:41   #8  |  Link
motster

Sure thing..

That said, what a nice app! Seems like it can do so much of what DVDRemake Pro can do (maybe more!). I'll play with it more and provide feedback.

Not too often you see Tcl/Tk in an app like this :-) I'm a big fan of FreePascal/Lazarus for cross platform apps like this, if you ever look for a Tcl/Tk alternative :-)
Old 20th July 2004, 21:50   #9  |  Link
r0lZ
PgcEdit daemon

PgcEdit 0.3.1

PgcEdit v0.3.1 is released.

There are only two bug fixes in this release... One is verry ennoying (see the 3 previous posts), so I released this fix as soon as possible.

Download PgcEdit

Note to peoples that have experienced the backup bug: when you restart PgcEdit (any version), you may have a message saying that the Command Editor window has an invalid geometry specifier. Don't worry: just exit PgcEdit and reopen it. Should fix this little problem.

Last edited by r0lZ; 20th July 2004 at 21:56.
Old 20th July 2004, 22:19   #10  |  Link
r0lZ
PgcEdit daemon

Note on Tcl/Tk choice. I originally decided to use Tcl/Tk for his facility to build complex GUIs.

At this time, my plans were to be able to generate an hex dump of any VM command (something like the HTML command generator of DVD-Replica). The Command Editor was the result. But it was impossible to paste the generated commands in IfoEdit: for unknown reasons, IfoEdit missed some characters, and crashed regularly. So I continued to develop the app, writing the IFO parser, and the main window.

And a day, I realized that, with some little cleanup and additions, it was possible to release it for the public. PgcEdit was born.

And now, the enthusiasm of the users is forcing me to continue... still in Tcl/Tk.

But Tcl/Tk has also disadvantages: I will probably never be able to parse/edit/preview VOB files.
Old 20th July 2004, 22:26   #11  |  Link
motster

It works, can't ask for much more than that! :-) Viewing vobs would be quite nice, maybe you can use a facility like vobblanker, where it appears to call an external exe that is I guess dvd2avi? That would be cool too...
Old 21st July 2004, 09:13   #12  |  Link
ffroms

A little request if it's not too much trouble. Is it possible to make option of "playback"? Under "playback" I don't think about real playback of VOB's but playback of PGC commands. I was think something like slow motion where every command line would be highlighted. This way we could track down where DVD playback goes from Play First to menu. Also it would be nice to show GPReg values.

FFS
Old 21st July 2004, 11:36   #13  |  Link
r0lZ
PgcEdit daemon

Hi ffroms!

Yes, it is possible. I am working on a "Trace" fonction since two days (and two nights ).

This function will allow to single step in the code, watching the GPRMs and SPRMs changes...
Of course, this will be somewhat limitted: You will not actually see the video, it will not be possible to select a menu button (you will have to simulate the button command manually and set the new HL_BTNN value accordingly), the SetNVTMR and SetGPRMMD (in counter mode) commands will not work as expected, etc...

But since it is apparently not possible to trace the commands and accurately watch the GPRMs and SPRMs in a real DirectX based player, I think the PgcEdit trace will be a good alternative.

However, it's a big work: I must simulate all commands, and take into account the (virtual) player configuration, the PGC parameters (like cell commands and still time, PUOs and Next/Prev/GoUpPGC), the user's interactions...
So, don't expect this new feature too quickly.

Last edited by r0lZ; 21st July 2004 at 11:41.
Old 21st July 2004, 13:48   #14  |  Link
ffroms

That is great to know!!! I wouldn't ask for but I have DVD that starts with movie and I want it to start with DVDMenu and that's hard to do if there is many different commands. So, I'll be patient and wait for that. Just keep up with this great program !!
Old 21st July 2004, 14:22   #15  |  Link
r0lZ
PgcEdit daemon

BTW, I have also planned a function to copy the current configuration at any point in the trace, and generate a new VMGM PGC with commands to recreate the same configuration (GPRMs and writable SPRMs), and jump to that point. And, of course, the function will allow to add a jump to this new PGC directly from the FP-PGC.

So, you will have only to step through the commands until you are at the point you want the playback to begin, then select the function and save the DVD...
Old 21st July 2004, 14:43   #16  |  Link
ffroms

I mean... I... can't... breath. Your program is my dream come true. Now I'm gona check forum every 30 minutes just to see if there is new version. Can't wait!!!!!

FFS
Old 21st July 2004, 14:55   #17  |  Link
motster

Quote:
Originally posted by r0lZ
BTW, I have also planned a function to copy the current configuration at any point in the trace, and generate a new VMGM PGC with commands to recreate the same configuration (GPRMs and writable SPRMs), and jump to that point. And, of course, the function will allow to add a jump to this new PGC directly from the FP-PGC.

So, you will have only to step through the commands until you are at the point you want the playback to begin, then select the function and save the DVD...
That is FREAKING cool!

Small request, maybe I'm missing this, but is it possible to show the size of the titles next to their names (like DVDRemake does)...sometimes it makes it easier to "visualize" which ones I want to work with.

Also, is there a PGCEdit equivalent of an Ifoedit "mock strip"?

Last edited by motster; 21st July 2004 at 15:12.
Old 21st July 2004, 16:55   #18  |  Link
r0lZ
PgcEdit daemon

Quote:
Small request, maybe I'm missing this, but is it possible to show the size of the titles next to their names (like DVDRemake does)...sometimes it makes it easier to "visualize" which ones I want to work with.
Well, it's possible, but IMHO the width of the left pane will grow too much. Maybe I'll add this info in the PGC label above the main window, or in tooltips...

Quote:
Also, is there a PGCEdit equivalent of an Ifoedit "mock strip"?
No, I can't parse the VOBs at this time, and therefore can't regenerate the VOB pointers. Sorry.
Old 21st July 2004, 19:21   #19  |  Link
sweetness

i have one request too. can PGCEdit have an option to call on Ifoedit. users would have to point to the path and you might have to do a Get VTS sectors for ifoedit to open all the ifo's.then people can toggle between the two and use some of ifoedit's features and PGCEdit one's.
Old 21st July 2004, 19:38   #20  |  Link
r0lZ
PgcEdit daemon

It is possible to put IfoEdit in the Tools menu, and obtain what you want. If you set the options to save the DVD before calling IfoEdit, and to reload it after, you can actually use IfoEdit as a function of PgcEdit. And there should be no VTS Sectors problems.

Have you tried that?