Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > General > Newbies
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 6th July 2005, 01:41   #1  |  Link
westcam

How to Join TWO .avi files using VirtualDubMod

Ok i used to join two avi files using other app like Easy Video Joiner but sometimes it join successfully but sometime it isn't

If you don't mind to guide step by step how to join two avi files using VirtualDubMod. i much appreciated

PS: the two avi videos has the same resolution/bitrate/etc.. the only different is the video size.
westcam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th July 2005, 02:07   #2  |  Link
Matthew
jdgljlfljg

Open first avi in virtualdubmod. Make sure video->direct stream copy is selected. File->append segment, select second avi. File->save as.

Bear in mind that avis even with the same characteristics cannot always be joined easily, because of issues with the audio (such as length or junk data). To join such avis, you'd have to extract the audio and correct whatever is wrong (e.g. through adding silent mp3 frames or whatever).
Matthew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th July 2005, 05:16   #3  |  Link
westcam

i follow you first paragraph and join two avis sucessully

but your second paragraph mention about audio. would you please write step by step about correcting audio etc.. i hope it is not too complicated

thank you.
Old 6th July 2005, 05:44   #4  |  Link
Matthew
jdgljlfljg

The second paragraph only applies (I think) when the VirtualDubMod returns an error after selecting the second avi. And depending on what you are joining, that might never happen.

That sort of correction would require a fair-sized guide IMO, as it's a manual process.

In other words, cross that bridge when you come to it
Matthew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th July 2005, 06:50   #5  |  Link
Harley Quin

When the audio stream in your first avi is shorter than the video stream, the audio stream of the second avi will be appended directly to the end of the first avi's audio stream. The result is, that in the second part audio and video are out of sync. Unfortunately VirtualDubMod never gave me a message when this happened, so you just have to check by
a) comparing the stream sizes: video in -File -FileInformation -Length, audio in -Streams -StreamList -Length or
b) watching the second part of the new avi file.
The quick-and-dirty solution is to cut the first video in VirtualDubMod to the length of the audio stream. Padding the audio with silent frames is better of course.
You can find further threads about this issue by forum search with "audio append virtualdubmod" or "audio append virtualdub".
Greetings
Harley Quin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th July 2005, 01:30   #6  |  Link
westcam

i play the new avi untill the end and has no problem at all so i assume it is all perfect

thank you so much for your help