Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Video Encoding > (Auto) Gordian Knot

Old 13th November 2003, 12:07   #221  |  Link
len0x
I'm afraid we've to stop

@XenoDaSouljah

That doesn't sound too good. it's a persistent problem not related to muxing. What is the delay of audio (last digits in the audio file name)? I see in the stream description it's 0ms. Is that right for the audio file?
len0x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th November 2003, 13:21   #222  |  Link
Tuning
I'm back! :D

@len0x
Is it worthy on trying DVDdecrypter's commandline capabiblity to this tool?.Then the users only need to select the drive and every thing will be automated,but there will be a need to the other option on looking to already decrypted files.
Old 13th November 2003, 13:27   #223  |  Link
len0x
I'm afraid we've to stop

Quote:
Originally posted by Tuning
@len0x
Is it worthy on trying DVDdecrypter's commandline capabiblity to this tool?.Then the users only need to select the drive and every thing will be automated,but there will be a need to the other option on looking to already decrypted files.
you obviously missed the part when I explained why I don't want to use tools which have DeCSS bits in them
Old 13th November 2003, 13:30   #224  |  Link
Tuning
I'm back! :D

Then OK ,I forgot that,i have read it once.Sorry.
Old 13th November 2003, 13:46   #225  |  Link
XenoDaSouljah

Quote:
Originally posted by len0x
@XenoDaSouljah

That doesn't sound too good. it's a persistent problem not related to muxing. What is the delay of audio (last digits in the audio file name)? I see in the stream description it's 0ms. Is that right for the audio file?
Well the program says that it is 0ms. But i think that is not correct. Please let me know if i can help you out more.
XenoDaSouljah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th November 2003, 14:24   #226  |  Link
len0x
I'm afraid we've to stop

Quote:
Originally posted by XenoDaSouljah
Well the program says that it is 0ms.
Meaning, the demuxed file ends with 0ms.ac3 ?
Old 13th November 2003, 14:54   #227  |  Link
XenoDaSouljah

Yes that is exactly what i mean
XenoDaSouljah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th November 2003, 15:02   #228  |  Link
len0x
I'm afraid we've to stop

Quote:
Originally posted by XenoDaSouljah
Yes that is exactly what i mean
I never had such a problem before, to be honest. So I don't know where to start diggin'... May be there is a problem with vob files themselves...
Old 13th November 2003, 15:54   #229  |  Link
zerocoolnl

Quote:
Originally posted by len0x
Oh, that's new I'm not really an expert in subtitles, so does anyone have an idea why this might happen ?
Len0x: (about the missing second subtitle line)
Is it maybe that it doesn't support the " | " symbol?? That symbol is used in srt subtitles to seperate the first form the second line. I'm not shure how your ripping the subtitles so I'm just trying.
Otherwise I should say that the height of the subs is to low (heigh enough for one line text)
I hope it's helpfull again.

Zerocoolnl
Old 13th November 2003, 17:05   #230  |  Link
G2k

Subtitles delay

Hey len0x,
GREAT SOFTWARE!
I already sent you an e-mail concerning this issue before, and now I can finally post in the forums (yey! after 5 days)

Ok, here's the problem: I made an encode of a DVD, namely Princess Mononoke (not that it makes a difference.) I tried ripping and reencoding several times (twice I ripped with SmartRipper and once with DVD Decrypter). The final encode result is the same. There is a subtitle lag by about 1.5 minutes. You told me to give you the log file, but GKif4u makes so many different files that I just don't know which one is the right one to give you. If you tell me, I'll show you what it says.
The file called "VTS_03 - Stream Information.txt" might be the one you need for the subtitle problem. Here is what it says:

0x20 - Subtitle - English / Normal Closed Captions / LBA: 17477 / PTS: 00:00:16.094 / Delay: 15899ms
0x21 - Subtitle - English / Normal Captions / LBA: 6504 / PTS: 00:00:01.379 / Delay: 1184ms
0x22 - Subtitle - English / Normal Captions / LBA: 17481 / PTS: 00:00:16.094 / Delay: 15899ms
0x23 - Subtitle - English / Normal Captions / LBA: 6506 / PTS: 00:00:01.379 / Delay: 1184ms
0x80 - Audio - AC3 / 6ch / 48kHz / DRC / English / LBA: 94 / PTS: 00:00:00.215 / Delay: 20ms
0x81 - Audio - AC3 / 6ch / 48kHz / DRC / Français / LBA: 96 / PTS: 00:00:00.215 / Delay: 20ms
0x82 - Audio - AC3 / 6ch / 48kHz / DRC / Japanese / LBA: 97 / PTS: 00:00:00.215 / Delay: 20ms
0xE0 - Video - MPEG-2 / 720x480 (NTSC) / 16:9 / Letterboxed / LBA: 1 / PTS: 00:00:00.194 / Delay: 0ms

I hope you can spot the problem, because it's a great piece of software and it would be awesome if it could also be fully funtional!
Thanks for your time.
G2k
G2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th November 2003, 17:24   #231  |  Link
len0x
I'm afraid we've to stop

@G2k

Which subtitle stream did you use? First one? If yes, can you try any other?
I'm not really that experienced with subtitles (in fact I've encoded 10 movies max with them). I wonder if it's closed captions problem...
Old 13th November 2003, 17:29   #232  |  Link
G2k

well, on the subtitle track menu on GKif4u, I selected the second English one, because the other one is for people who cannot hear so it writes things like [pow, smash] and it's sort of annoying
I wouldn't know which one that is from the file I gave you.
G2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th November 2003, 17:32   #233  |  Link
len0x
I'm afraid we've to stop

@G2k

Can you select, say second stream, and do the preview ?
Is it in sync or not ?

*Edit* using the preview you should be able to see the difference between several subtitle tracks (at least see if the start at the same time or not)

Last edited by len0x; 13th November 2003 at 17:38.
Old 14th November 2003, 05:24   #234  |  Link
Jagergeek

Jittery playback

First, I'll admit I'm a newbie - but have searched and read a lot prior to posting this.
I've tried to turn two of my DVDs into Dixv via gkItFast4U. Both worked perfectly except for one problem. Moving portions of the video (a person walking etc.) flutter wildly on a regular basis.

Neither of these DVDs featured multiangle (Jimmy Newtron & Raising Arizona).

And another question (clue?) is that under advanced options, the codec choices are greyed out (xvid is selected, Divx 5 is not...both greyed out).

I'm unclear which log I should post, but I'll post part of the gk log:

Please help - Thanks!

<<<<Log deleted to clean up forum - jagergeek>>>>

Last edited by Jagergeek; 16th November 2003 at 22:31.
Jagergeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th November 2003, 07:44   #235  |  Link
toliman

Re: Jittery playback

Quote:
Originally posted by Jagergeek
Moving portions of the video (a person walking etc.) flutter wildly on a regular basis.
it's either the XviD decoder, or the result of incorrect IVTC that GKiF4U has mangled. more likely #2

e.g.
Quote:
[11/12/2003 12:56:43 AM] Analyzing source.
[11/12/2003 1:00:21 AM] Source has percetange of interlacing: 22.95
[11/12/2003 1:00:21 AM] Source is considered to be FILM.
it's not entirely the fault of the program, some content has 29.97 fps footage that requires more exacting methods to deinterlace.

IVTC tried to convert the 29.97fps footage to 24 fps to reduce/remove the interlacing, you'll see problems in wide-panning or horizontally scrolling movement if the source isn't meant to be IVTC'd, or it has a hybrid of different footage throughout the whole movie.

in regular GordianKnot, there is a filter that attempts to fix these hybrid interlaced films, you might have to resort to using the advanced GordianKnot program until GKiF4U uses decomb, additional to/instead of IVTC.

i'm sure there's a better explanation out there, of the how and why IVTC is a shortcut for interlacing.
toliman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th November 2003, 10:44   #236  |  Link
rmagere

Feature Request

Hi,
Not sure how many people would want the following feature but it would be a great help when encoding dvd's extra-features:

what I would like is an option that given a fixed resolution and a given compressability % let's the encode take whatever size it's predicted.
I find that useful as I am not too interested in the quality of a lot of extras but I just want them as small as possible (within reason) so usually I encode them at 416*xxx, 448*xxx, 480*xxx or 512*xxx do a compressability check at the desired resolution and change the size until the box shows ~50% (obviously I am using a 128mp3).

Also it would be nice if there was a queing facility (kind of like roborip)

Last edited by rmagere; 14th November 2003 at 11:19.
rmagere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th November 2003, 10:54   #237  |  Link
manono

Hi Jagergeek, and welcome to the forum-

I'm not exactly sure what you mean by "flutter wildly". Do you mean that it plays jerky, or stutters during these scenes? Like there are frames missing? Or do you mean that the video itself is corrupted somehow? Is it something that can be captured with a single frame picture, or it's only the movement itself that's off? Please explain a bit more if you can.

About the greyed out codec screen-GKFast supports only XviD encoding at the moment. After DivX 5.x is integrated into it, then you'll be able to choose one of the 2 codecs.

toliman-

...or the result of incorrect IVTC that GKiF4U has mangled.

Possibly, I guess, but I don't think so. I haven't ripped either movie, but have seen Raising Arizona a few times (great film), and have no reason to believe there's any hybrid content in there. It's just a regular movie. When GKFast tries to determine whether the movie is pure 29.97fps video or is Film (and can be IVTC'd down to 23.976fps), it looks at 5% of the frames (like when you do a compression test) from a 29.97fps .d2v (no Force Film). If you open a 29.97fps .d2v of a telecined movie in GKnot and advance frame by frame during a movement scene, you'll see that out of every 5 frames, 3 are progressive (not interlaced) and 2 are interlaced. So if the whole film is movement, then 40% of the frames will be detected as interlaced. But because there are a lot of more or less static scenes, and static text screens, and black frames, those frames aren't detected as interlaced, and the interlacing percentage always comes out as less than 40%. And in those cases, IVTC is applied. And the IVTC used is Decomb's Telecide-Decimate combination. It's certainly possible that they were telecined strangely, and the Decomb settings need tweaking, in which case you're right. He might be better off doing the movies in GKnot, reading the Decomb help file to learn how to adjust the settings. But I can't help thinking there's more going on here than just the IVTC screwing up.

I don't see any sign in the scripts of IVTC having been applied (Decomb doesn't seem to have been loaded), but I'm not too good at reading those things. Was it Force Filmed when perhaps it shouldn't have been? That could account for it. But wait until len0x gets back and he may be able to diagnose the problem. Hold onto your files, Jagergeek.
manono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th November 2003, 12:14   #238  |  Link
len0x
I'm afraid we've to stop

Quote:
Originally posted by manono
I don't see any sign in the scripts of IVTC having been applied (Decomb doesn't seem to have been loaded), but I'm not too good at reading those things. Was it Force Filmed when perhaps it shouldn't have been? That could account for it. But wait until len0x gets back and he may be able to diagnose the problem. Hold onto your files, Jagergeek.
Well spotted. Indeed I bet the percentage of film was more than 99%.
I wonder if I should always IVTC and don't do FF at all. Or doing FF doesn't harm the source and always the same as IVTC on pure FILM material?

@Jagergeek

what's the last line you can see in the d2v file from "tmp" dir?
Old 14th November 2003, 13:14   #239  |  Link
wertert

idea : quick preview.

Do you think that indexing ( via dvd2avi ) the whole movie for the preview is a bit overkill ?

How about this. Run the program as normal. select preview. you see the dvd2avi task appear on the taskbar. Right click, restore. Hit esc. This stops the indexing.

Hit F5 to check the movie. Hit esc again. Move the slider to the middle of the film and hit '['. Move the slider slightly to the right and hit ']'. This defines a short segment that will be used as the preview. Hit F4 ( save as ) and over write the file called <film_name>_PREVIEW.d2v. Things continue as normal and the preview appears. The smaller the selected segment the faster the preview appears. ;-)

How about an option in preview to only work on ONE .vob file, instead of all of them. After-all you re-index from scratch when encoding the full movie so the _PREVIEW.d2v file is dumped anyway.

wertert
wertert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th November 2003, 15:17   #240  |  Link
Jagergeek

Thanks

Thanks for the excellent info and quick replies.

LenOx, the last line of the d2v file is:
FINISHED 99.99% FILM

manono,
When I say "fluttered wildly" I mean that an object in a scene that is moving seems to flutter between the previous frame(s) and the current position. Objects not moving aren't affected.
So, IVTC problems would definately be suspect.
Anyone who's old like me should remember the Max Headroom character - and how he and his image stuttered back and forth...it's kinda like that.

Thanks again!
Jagergeek is offline   Reply With Quote