Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > General > Audio encoding

Closed Thread

Old 26th January 2008, 11:41   #3001  |  Link
nautilus7

Quote:
Originally Posted by madshi View Post
True. But since I know that this movie has always made problems with the MS VC-1 decoder I was quite sure he was using that. intomed?
Maybe i didn't get it, but i asked about renderer like vmr9 or haali, not decoder.

Quote:
Downmixing is quite easy to do. Upmixing is much more complicated, as far as I know. I don't know how to do this properly, so I better don't even try. Furthermore I've more important things to do like e.g. adding my own splitter for MPEG2 and h264 movies to get perfect timestamps for those, too. And finally adding Blu-Ray support sooner or later (not too soon, though).
Ok, then. I'll bother you again with this when you 've done with all other things.
Old 26th January 2008, 11:43   #3002  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by nautilus7 View Post
Maybe i didn't get it, but i asked about renderer like vmr9 or haali, not decoder.
Ah, right.
Old 26th January 2008, 12:09   #3003  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickardk View Post
IIn my experience some titles can be screwed up (rainbow frames) just by running the mkv file through mkvmerge (even without rewriting the timestamps). I have not found thoose rainbow frames in Babel HD DVD (no time to watch the whole file yet) but I have encountered the same problem with some Blu-ray titles.
Probably those Blu-Ray titles are mostly h264?

Quote:
Today I will redo all titles with problems I talked about before.

Writing a detailed report on problems for you.
Great - looking forward to that! However, I'm a bit afraid about getting a mixture of reports from various different titles. So here's what I'd like to get from you:

(1) Please post a list of movies which were problematic but work perfect with v2.19 now (if there are any such).
(2) Please report one title per post which still shows problems. So if you have 5 VC-1 movies with problems, please make 5 separate posts, one for each movie. That would help greatly separating the different movies and issues.

Please check out the VC-1 titles first cause VC-1 is where I think eac3to should be very good with now. MPEG2 and h264 handling still has room to improve in future builds. So if you ask me you can leave out MPEG2 and h264 titles completely for now. Let's care about them at a later time. VC-1 is my focus right now. Once VC-1 handling is as good as I can get it I'll begin on improving MPEG2 and h264.

Quote:
Should I use both 2.19 and 2.14? Or is it enough to count on 2.19?
(1) Please test with v2.19 first.
(2) If the result seems to be perfect, please add an audio track with mkvtoolnix and retest.
(3) If the result still seems to be perfect, that's all you need to do and you can stop here at step (3).
---------
(4) If you find problems, please rerip the movie to make sure that the rip is clean.
(5) Demux the E-AC3/AC3 audio tracks. During demuxing v2.19 will automatically check whether there's any corruption in the audio data. That's very effective as a corruption test because E(-AC3) is protected by a CRC. If audio demuxing runs through without any complaints, there's a good chance that the rip is (relatively) clean.
(6) If the rip is clean, but you still run into any problems, as a first step please post the v2.19 processing log (see "log.txt" in the "eac3to.exe" folder) together with a detailed problem description and with a summary of your playback system (OS, decoders, renderer) here in this thread. You don't necessarily need to do any further test in the first step. I'll check your report and maybe ask you about further tests then.

Thanks much!!

Last edited by madshi; 26th January 2008 at 12:11.
Old 26th January 2008, 12:18   #3004  |  Link
rickardk

Yes I mentioned thoose titles because Babel HD DVD is also H264. Maybe mkvmerge have problems with a couple of H264 titles.

Ok, I will start with VC-1 titles!
Old 26th January 2008, 13:45   #3005  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

Quote:
Ok, I will start with VC-1 titles!
Roll on, mate!

Just to be safe: Please do NOT rewrite timestamps with mkvtoolnix.
Old 26th January 2008, 13:59   #3006  |  Link
Kumo

i'm converting a lpcm 5.1 ntsc bluray track to a dts pal track using ea3to2.17.a strange issue happened to me.if i convert directly lpcm->dts, it works fine even with "-speedup" command applyed(the resulting dts file is ok).if i convert to wavs and then manually to dts via surcodedvd, the resulting dts file is double-sized,the lenght is twice the original, and it plays 2 times faster(it doesn't happen if speedup command isn't applyied).i tryed many times, and using raw imputs demuxed in different ways. there's any issue with the speedup feature?how does it exactly work?
Old 26th January 2008, 14:03   #3007  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kumo View Post
i'm converting a lpcm 5.1 ntsc bluray track to a dts pal track using ea3to2.17.a strange issue happened to me.if i convert directly lpcm->dts, it works fine even with "-speedup" command applyed(the resulting dts file is ok).if i convert to wavs and then manually to dts via surcodedvd, the resulting dts file is double-sized,the lenght is twice the original, and it plays 2 times faster(it doesn't happen if speedup command isn't applyied).i tryed many times, and using raw imputs demuxed in different ways. there's any issue with the speedup feature?how does it exactly work?
Please run that manually created dts file through eac3to ("eac3to source.dts dest.dts"). There's probably padding in it. eac3to will remove that for you. Maybe that fixes the problem. Or not.
Old 26th January 2008, 15:10   #3008  |  Link
bertox

Yes, i'm using Flac to store my good music actually...
Can you add the minimum downmix option then?? Sum all with 9db attenuate in the mix, avoiding clipping.

Please, please,please,please,please,please!!!. jejeje. Sorry

It's for people who are not using receivers, but only sound cards in pcs.
Thanks.
Old 26th January 2008, 15:18   #3009  |  Link
nautilus7

Quote:
Originally Posted by bertox View Post
Yes, i'm using Flac to store my good music actually...
Can you add the minimum downmix option then?? Sum all with 9db attenuate in the mix, avoiding clipping.

Please, please,please,please,please,please!!!. jejeje. Sorry

It's for people who are not using receivers, but only sound cards in pcs.
Thanks.
Don't you have a 5.1 sound card?
Old 26th January 2008, 15:37   #3010  |  Link
bertox

No. A card with REAL 24 bits 96khz 5.1 is very expensive to me and for the mostly pc users. My cheapest Chaintech AV-710 SoundCard can manage 24/96-192 but only in stereo mode with she's Wolfson fabulous dac. And....i have not a multispeaker system, only an stereo amplifier with a pair of speakers.
------------------
Quote:
The programming of a different mixing matrix is not a big problem.
You say that...this is what i want
Bye.
Old 26th January 2008, 16:17   #3011  |  Link
Thunderbolt8

so which movies (HD DVD) are regarded as having problems when being remuxed so far (without timestamps rewriting)?

the searchers? more, were all others due to bad rips?
Old 26th January 2008, 16:38   #3012  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bertox View Post
Maybe. But not very soon. Need to get video remuxing done properly first.
Old 26th January 2008, 16:46   #3013  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunderbolt8 View Post
so which movies (HD DVD) are regarded as having problems when being remuxed so far (without timestamps rewriting)?
We don't know yet for sure. Some movies used to have problems but should work now (I hope POTO USA will be one of those). Other movies had problems with stuttering. I hope that the latest eac3to version will sort that out once and for all (rickardk is testing that as we speak). Some movies have problems due to either bad rips or to authoring faults. I rather guess that eac3to will never handle those well. Right now I'm not aware of any specific title which is proven to be a clean rip (by repeating the ripping etc) and which still makes problems. But let's wait and see.

The above is about VC-1 HD DVD movies only. I'll deal with MPEG2 and h264 HD DVD movies in the next step. Let's not even talk about Blu-Ray right now. Although: For VC-1 Blu-Ray movies you could demux audio and video by using xport and then mux the VC-1 track to MKV by using eac3to v2.19. This should work well and give perfect results, as long as there are no gaps/overlaps in the Blu-Ray video stream (which shouldn't really happen, anyway).
Old 26th January 2008, 17:26   #3014  |  Link
Thunderbolt8

I just muxed the starship troopers blu-ray with putting the vc-1 .m2ts into gdsmux and remuxed only the video to .mkv, because I wanted to avoid the demuxing stage of the video, as you prefer it. so do you think it will be different (and better) when I use xport to demux the vc-1 video and use eac3to to mux it to .mkv?

btw. is a .mkv file with video only in it affected regarding its playback structure, when I put it into mkvmerge to add audio, even when I dont rewrite the timestamps, so could it happen it has no problems as .mkv with video stream only, but then shows errors of any kind after the addition of audio?
Old 26th January 2008, 17:27   #3015  |  Link
rickardk

It takes some time....I'll have a list up tomorrow I hope.

Can someone please try Million Dollar Baby again (someone tried that one a couple of pages ago).

I'm pretty sure I get a clean rip. But not 100% sure.
Please try to use eac3to and try the result without using mkvmerge to add audio.

Someone should also try Unforgiven HD DVD. That one should suffer from the same problem as Million Dollar Baby.

I just have the Blu-ray version of Unforgiven (that I did in some way remux without problem before) so can't test Unforgiven HD DVD.

Last edited by rickardk; 26th January 2008 at 17:44.
Old 26th January 2008, 17:33   #3016  |  Link
bertox

Ok. I wait. Thanks for fast reply.
Old 26th January 2008, 17:35   #3017  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

Quote:
I just muxed the starship troopers blu-ray with putting the vc-1 .m2ts into gdsmux and remuxed only the video to .mkv, because I wanted to avoid the demuxing stage of the video, as you prefer it. so do you think it will be different (and better) when I use xport to demux the vc-1 video and use eac3to to mux it to .mkv?
Normally a direct remux is better because doing it that way when there are gaps/overlaps in the video stream these are not lost, so you keep perfect audio sync. However, if the video stream doesn't have any gaps/overlaps (which should theoretically be the normal case), demuxing and remuxing should work just fine, too. At least with MPEG2 and VC-1. I'm somewhat sceptical about doing this with h264. Had bad experiences with that in the past. Didn't have a problem with demuxing/remuxing MPEG2 and VC-1 yet. But still, if you do that, make sure that you double check audio sync both in the beginning and end of the movie.

Quote:
btw. is a .mkv file with video only in it affected regarding its playback structure, when I put it into mkvmerge to add audio, even when I dont rewrite the timestamps, so could it happen it has no problems as .mkv with video stream only, but then shows errors of any kind after the addition of audio?
I don't really see how adding audio could affect the video, but I can't say for sure. Of course there could also be a bug in mkvtoolnix or something like that.
Old 27th January 2008, 00:10   #3018  |  Link
nautilus7

Updated version of ffdshow is out. It now plays VC-1 mkv files created by eac3to!
Old 27th January 2008, 00:14   #3019  |  Link
rickardk

Sum of all Fears is now working without problems!

Last edited by rickardk; 27th January 2008 at 00:42.
Old 27th January 2008, 00:15   #3020  |  Link
IanD

Quote:
The above is about VC-1 HD DVD movies only.
Thanks for such a useful utility.

Have used the current version from your link (2.19?) for the first time in an attempt to strip pulldown flags from VC-1 to see if that improves playback with WMV9 decoder.

However, when I attempted the following (source and dest files are on different drives), I just got a "can not perform this video function" error:

eac3to source.evo 1: dest.vid -stripPulldown

I then tried the following and it seemed to work, but did not honour the destination drive (just put it in the source folder):

eac3to source.evo 1: dest.vid -stripPulldown -demux

Finally, I attempted the following, and it did honour the dest drive but it didn't mention stripping pulldown flags:

eac3to source.evo 1: dest.mkv -stripPulldown

Are there limitations to eac3to, or am I just misunderstanding the syntax?

I also tried using the linked GUI, but it didn't seem to have an option to select the required video track. Adding the video track identifier in the destination field just included it in the quotes for the destination folder, so that didn't work either.

I'm guessing eac3to has some inbuilt assumptions that are not fully explained: for example, an .mkv suffix is interpreted as a requirement to create a matroska output, even though no explicit mkv option is specified. So, I'm wondering if there are others, such as always having to name a video file as .vc1 otherwise it gets rejected in the syntax.

Last edited by IanD; 27th January 2008 at 00:18.
Closed Thread

Tags
eac3to