Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > General > Audio encoding
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 9th March 2010, 17:29   #9801  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carpo View Post
will you be adding support for nero 9
Maybe, sooner or later.

Quote:
Originally Posted by umaximus View Post
Right, I have bunch of trueHD soundtracks that were demuxed in past with eac3to. Since I got a capable HD receiver I want to mux HD audio back. Doing this with TsMuxeR I have no problems with DTS-HD MA, but TsMuxer wont accept trueHD streams and is giving an error of 'Unsupported format' (cant detect stream type) on every single trueHD stream that I have (+100). Im sure there is difference in header info of how eac3to is demuxing trueHD but I have no clue how to 'repair' it.
I've no clue, either. eac3to demuxes TrueHD tracks the way it's supposed to. If tsMuxeR doesn't accept these files, then it's a problem with tsMuxeR. You could try converting your TrueHD tracks to TrueHD+AC3, maybe tsMuxeR wants that?

eac3to source.thd dest.thd+ac3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunderbolt8 View Post
hm so whats the standing regarding this problem, is madshi willing to do this patch so that arcsoft can properly recognize the channel order?
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnryV View Post
I think that eac3to (or ArcSoft decoder ??) uncorrectly decode 7.1 - L,R,C,LFE,Ls,Rs,Lsr,Rsr scheme.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnryV View Post
Problem, as I do understand, was not solved?
This is a problem in the ArcSoft decoder and not in eac3to. It would be theoretically possible to workaround the problem by manipulating the DTS-HD tracks in such a way that they're more pleasing to the ArcSoft decoder, but it would be a hell of a lot of work for me. And I don't really see why I'm always asked to fix problems in the software of other people?

Quote:
I have a little question. In the past I have demux the PCM tracks from blu-rays and save them. As I can see from the logs, eac3to have remapped the channels already, but now when I want to transcode PCM to WAVS (for use with DTS-HD mas suite) eac3to is again remapping them which I think is not right. Is there a switch to turn off remapping of the channels?
Why don't you just trust eac3to? I've not heard of any channel remapping bugs for months/years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by twazerty View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue_MiSfit
Awhile back I saw clipping audio when transcoding MP2->AC3. You mentioned it was due to internal bit depth restrictions in libavcodec, which could probably be overcome with a more recent build of libavcodec. Did you ever integrate this?
Noticed that the clipping problem isn't fixed yet. Can we expect a fix?
Yes, sooner or later, but not right now.

Quote:
Ok, I have found my problem with trueHD tracks. Im using Pioneer receiver and when I was demuxing my trueHD tracks I didnt use -keepdialnorm switch. Now I have over 50 unplayable tracks that I cant use. Is there any software that could re-apply dialnorm?
Yes, the upcoming eac3to v3.18 will do that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yesgrey3 View Post
When I used XP, I was able to run eac3to while I was doing other things. Now, with W7 RC1, I cannot, my computer stalls. I have to start Task Manager and change eac3to's process priority to low, and then it works a little better. Though, I still feel that with XP my computer did not stall at all.
Can any of W7 users share their experience? It might be some problem with multi-tasking handling that only occurs in RC1...
Don't know what problem that could be. You can use the "-lowPriority" switch to avoid having to use the task manager.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beastie Boy View Post
Using W7 Resource Monitor, I have noticed that eac3to seems to continually write to and read from the swap file
eac3to does not do such a thing. There isn't even a Windows API available to access the swap file. The swap file is exclusively controlled by the OS.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeropc View Post
question: i'd like to cut a 22sec and 160ms at the beginning from a dts-hd file. what cmd would i need to use to achieve this with eac3to?
i'm not sure if the delay option is the one i need to use.
You could use the edit command. Something like this:

eac3to source.dts dest.dts -edit=0:00:00,-22160ms

If that doesn't work, try "-edit=0:00:00.050,-22160ms".

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxx666yyy777 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by SomeJoe
Apparently, my AV receiver is highly sensitive to a TrueHD stream. Unless -keepDialnorm is used, TrueHD output is very distorted.
Does anyone know, whether the TrueHD/DialNorm issue still persists with the new Pioneer Receivers (1019 series for example)?
No idea, but you'll be able to work around the problem with the next eac3to v3.18.

Quote:
Originally Posted by raquete View Post
this option could be in the help file and be used as 'default'.
It is not default because "simple" wav files are outdated. Some old applications need them, so that's what the eac3to option is for. But some other applications don't like them and require the new format. So whatever default option I choose, there will be problems for some people. As a result I chose the newer & better format as default.

Quote:
Originally Posted by setarip_old View Post
True - but it seems that the author is no longer supporting this program...
Huh?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrr19121970 View Post
This time I'm going the path E-AC3 to DTS-MA using "DTS-HD Master Audio Suite v2.0". Is there any chance that you can implement a similar 'hooking' to this application as you do with SurCode?
Maybe, sooner or later...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowknight26 View Post
Hmm, after audio overlaps are detected, it seems that eac3to no longer runs audio encoding concurrently. Say extract and convert two DTS-HD MA tracks to FLAC and both of them have audio overlaps, you'd expect eac3to to run the 2nd pass, fix the overlaps, and do the conversion of both at the same time, but the 2nd track's conversion begins only after the first one has finished. :|
True. eac3to does not support reading two different source files at the same time. That's why all 2nd pass operations are run separately.
Old 9th March 2010, 17:42   #9802  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

eac3to v3.18 released

http://madshi.net/eac3to.zip

Code:
* TrueHD dialnorm removal now uses "-31db" instead of "-0db"
* TrueHD frames with -0db dialnorm are now automatically patched to -31db
* added MKV demuxing support for TrueHD tracks
* added MKV demuxing support for Blu-Ray PGS subtitle tracks
* added MKV demuxing support for (MS ACM) extensible WAV tracks
For those people who have problems with the receiver disliking TrueHD tracks demuxed by older eac3to versions, please "fix" your TrueHD tracks by simply running them through v3.18 like this:

Code:
eac3to old.thd new.thd
Please let me know, if the problem is gone. Thanks.
Old 9th March 2010, 20:58   #9803  |  Link
jj666

Many thanks for the new version :-)

Cheers,

-jj-
Old 10th March 2010, 00:02   #9804  |  Link
Thunderbolt8

yes, thanks for the update!

so just to clarify, the dialnorm 0db -> -31db change is only to fix the thd tracks for those people with receiver which don't accept the old thd tracks? theres no real difference is volume between the old and new setting and I won't have to redo all my flac tracks (or thd tracks when only used inside mkv, but not with a receiver), right?

Last edited by Thunderbolt8; 10th March 2010 at 00:08.
Old 10th March 2010, 03:13   #9805  |  Link
TinTime

Thanks very much madshi!

In response to your question on dialnorm reporting...

Quote:
Originally Posted by madshi View Post
I've researched this. The AC3 and DTS specs are very kinda the opposite of each other in terms of dialnorm:

AC3: The dialnorm value tells us how much headroom there is between 100% volume and speech volume.
DTS: The dialnorm value tells us how much the decoder should lower volume.

Because of that a -27dB AC3 dialnorm value equals a -4dB DTS dialnorm value. Now of course eac3to could change the display of the dialnorm values, so that AC3 and DTS match. But I'm not sure if I should do that? What do you guys think?
My feeling is that eac3to should just do as it does now and report the actual values, rather than interpreting the info for the sake of consistency.

However it really doesn't bother me one way or the other. If you get an overwhelming response to, say, change the reporting of the DTS dialnorm value then I think I could learn to live with it

One thought. If you changed eac3to so that it reported one of the values differently then I predict a few posts along the lines of...

Quote:
"My amp/mediainfo/etc. says that dialnorm is set to -4 but eac3to reports -27. Why the discrepancy? Which is correct?"
Old 10th March 2010, 03:22   #9806  |  Link
setarip_old

@madshi

My remark was based on your post back in May:

http://forum.doom9.org/showpost.php?...postcount=8835
Old 10th March 2010, 09:54   #9807  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunderbolt8 View Post
so just to clarify, the dialnorm 0db -> -31db change is only to fix the thd tracks for those people with receiver which don't accept the old thd tracks? theres no real difference is volume between the old and new setting and I won't have to redo all my flac tracks (or thd tracks when only used inside mkv, but not with a receiver), right?
Right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinTime View Post
In response to your question on dialnorm reporting...

My feeling is that eac3to should just do as it does now and report the actual values, rather than interpreting the info for the sake of consistency.
I'm not 100% sure, but I tend to agree.

Quote:
Originally Posted by setarip_old View Post
My remark was based on your post back in May:

http://forum.doom9.org/showpost.php?...postcount=8835
Your interpretation of my post is really weird.
Old 10th March 2010, 17:22   #9808  |  Link
nurbs

I have a small problem with eac3to. I have a blu-ray with the following audio track
Code:
3: DTS Hi-Res, English, 7.1 channels, 24 bits, 2814kbps, 48khz
   (core: DTS, 5.1 channels, 24 bits, 1509kbps, 48khz)
When I try to convert it to aac with one of the following command lines
Code:
eac3to "D:\BR\LEON" 1) 3:"D:\LEON\test.aac" -core -down2 -normalize
or
eac3to "D:\BR\LEON" 1) 3:"D:\LEON\test.aac" -down2 -normalize
I get
Code:
a03 The ArcSoft and Sonic decoders don't seem to work, will use libav instead.
a03 The libav DTS decoder doesn't decode the full DTS-HD information.
a03 Can't downmix this channel configuration ($60f).
a03 Internal error - unknown audio output format!
however first extracting the the track to .dts and then converting the dts to aac with the same parameters works fine.

Last edited by nurbs; 10th March 2010 at 18:03. Reason: correct confusing track numbers
Old 10th March 2010, 17:43   #9809  |  Link
TinTime

Are you mixing up track 3 and track 4?
Old 10th March 2010, 18:02   #9810  |  Link
nurbs

I did in the post, but track 3 and track 4 are the same track (same properties) with different languages. I'll correct that to avoid confusion. I wanted to convert them with the same command line which gave the same result.
Old 10th March 2010, 18:42   #9811  |  Link
b66pak

@madshi do you plan to add the ability to cut audio (besplit style)? also any chance to support muxing h264 to .mp4 too?
_

Last edited by b66pak; 10th March 2010 at 18:50.
Old 10th March 2010, 19:42   #9812  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by nurbs View Post
I have a small problem with eac3to. I have a blu-ray with the following audio track [...]
Hmmmm... I can reproduce that. Have put it on my to do list. But since you can work around it, I've sorted it in as "not so important".

Quote:
Originally Posted by b66pak View Post
do you plan to add the ability to cut audio (besplit style)?
Not sure what you mean. Can you clarify?

Quote:
Originally Posted by b66pak View Post
also any chance to support muxing h264 to .mp4 too?
Edit: Not possible (by using the Haali Matroska Muxer, at least), it seems. There doesn't seem to be a way to switch the Haali Matroska Muxer to MP4 from within eac3to.

Last edited by madshi; 10th March 2010 at 19:48.
Old 10th March 2010, 19:48   #9813  |  Link
b66pak

Quote:
Not sure what you mean. Can you clarify?
let's say i have 60 min audio and i want to split in in three parts: from min 0 to 15, from 25 to 35 and from 45 to end...
_

L.E. in other words the ability to split an audio file at the time you want...also the ability to join (append) audio files would be nice...
_

Last edited by b66pak; 10th March 2010 at 20:06.
Old 11th March 2010, 02:33   #9814  |  Link
Xorp

Thanks for the update

Quote:
How are people muxing PGS subs into mkv? I heard MakeMKV can do it, but it's not freeware.
Old 11th March 2010, 06:14   #9815  |  Link
Snowknight26

For consistency's sake, 'khz' should be capitalized.
Old 11th March 2010, 07:12   #9816  |  Link
Midzuki
Unavailable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowknight26 View Post
For consistency's sake, 'khz' should be capitalized.
kHz alright.
Old 11th March 2010, 19:33   #9817  |  Link
xxx666yyy777

Quote:
eac3to v3.18 released

Code:
For those people who have problems with the receiver disliking TrueHD tracks demuxed by older eac3to versions, please "fix" your TrueHD tracks by simply running them through v3.18 like this:

Code:
eac3to old.thd new.thd
Nice! Thanks a lot!!!

Cheers.
Old 12th March 2010, 18:53   #9818  |  Link
raquete

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by raquete View Post
this option could be in the help file and be used as 'default'.
It is not default because "simple" wav files are outdated. Some old applications need them, so that's what the eac3to option is for. But some other applications don't like them and require the new format. So whatever default option I choose, there will be problems for some people. As a result I chose the newer & better format as default.
is very clever!

Quote:
eac3to v3.18 released

Code:

Code:
eac3to old.thd new.thd
very cool, thank you so much!
Old 12th March 2010, 19:29   #9819  |  Link
rapscallion
NY Frame of Mind

I was playing around with some movie tracks yesterday and am just curious.

Original track was DD True HD 5.1 and when I select "wavs" as the output I get exactly the same wav file sizes as when I process the ac-3 core.

Apparently eac doesn't extract the lossless wavs, just the core ?? Or is their a way to extract the True HD wavs?
Old 12th March 2010, 20:15   #9820  |  Link
Snowknight26

WAV has a bit-depth, AC3 doesn't, so when it's decoded, it's decoded (from 64-bit floating point) to 24-bit WAV, just like the TrueHD is.
Closed Thread

Tags
eac3to